Official SVS Ultra 13 thread - Page 357 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Correct, a flat calibration is just that...flat. In a perfect room, all frequencies would play at 75 dB from the sub's lower limit to the speakers upper limits i.e. 16-20k Hz. So yes when playing movies or content with an LFE signal it is 10dB hotter.

Years ago when I first started using SPL meter to calibrate, i'd do all to 75dB. Then put in scenes I was familiar with and the bass was lacking severely. So I'd tinker with it and would end up at about 85dB.

Then came the receivers with the built in microphones. Again, would calibrate to 75 and put in my test scenes and would be lacking. Then got on the phone w/ Ed at SVS and he said he hears that a lot and it's not uncommon for people to run 5 - 10dB hot.

So, I guess it's just a matter of taste. Sure there's some scenes when my wife is scared our house is going to come down, but I can live with that!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
is it ok to turn these on and off at mains plug (with switch "on") on subwoofer ?

just mine seems to use about 50W in idle on auto - I thought this would have been improved over the BASH amps (this is a SLEDGE one)

50W not a huge amount, but 24/7 at current electricity prices it all adds up !
Old 07-17-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 21
is it ok to turn these on and off at mains plug (with switch "on") on subwoofer ?

just mine seems to use about 50W in idle on auto - I thought this would have been improved over the BASH amps (this is a SLEDGE one)

50W not a huge amount, but 24/7 at current electricity prices it all adds up !
Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Never again am I buying an SVSound product. My SB 13 Ultra stopped working, blows a fuse everytime you turn it on. Always set to "Auto" mode so not left running. Here's SVSound's response (I know what the Sledge amp costs $599! and they brag about what quality materials they use blah blah blah -- mine is one with the BASH amp):

Thanks for contacting SVS! Unfortunately, when the amp starts to blow fuses repeatedly, it is time to replace the amp. The usual cause is an internal issue in the power supply section of the amp and cannot be replaced. The replacement amp for that sub will be the Sledge STA-1000D that currently ships with our Ultra subs. Let us know if you'd like the link for the Sledge amp and we'll send that over to you.
Best Regards,

Darren McCormick
Customer Service Associate
SVS | Specialty Technologies
877.626.5623 [customer service]
330.954.3286 [office]
custservice@svsound.com
darrenm@svsound.com
www.svsound.com
Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Never again am I buying an SVSound product. My SB 13 Ultra stopped working, blows a fuse everytime you turn it on. Always set to "Auto" mode so not left running. Here's SVSound's response (I know what the Sledge amp costs $599! and they brag about what quality materials they use blah blah blah -- mine is one with the BASH amp):

Thanks for contacting SVS! Unfortunately, when the amp starts to blow fuses repeatedly, it is time to replace the amp. The usual cause is an internal issue in the power supply section of the amp and cannot be replaced. The replacement amp for that sub will be the Sledge STA-1000D that currently ships with our Ultra subs. Let us know if you'd like the link for the Sledge amp and we'll send that over to you.
Best Regards,

Darren McCormick
330.954.3286 [office]
custservice@svsound.com
darrenm@svsound.com
www.svsound.com
What I wonder should be acceptable?

If it's out of warranty, then what else? Yes it's expensive and that sucks but do you think you should be given a free amp? Free repair?

It is a problem with digital amps, compared to regular amps in say Rel/BK that are pretty simple and easy to fix.

I have a SBU13 and the cost of replacement amp is a little concerning..

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

What I think is reasonable is them offer to repair it or offer a discount on a Sledge amp to replace the crappy BASH amp. Any idea why they switched from BASH to Sledge in the PB 13 Ultra? I have my guesses...
Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

What I mean by repair is charge me to repair it I don?t expect them to do anything for free.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah I understand and agree, the £600 price is a bit extortionate. I don't think these digital amps are easy to fix.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
What I mean by repair is charge me to repair it I don?t expect them to do anything for free.
How long have you owned the sub?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

7 years
Old 07-24-2015, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
7 years
That is tough. I would be upset as well..but this could happen with any manufacture, if you were within the 5 year warranty period with SVS they wouldn't repair the amp they would replace it. I assume if they had the means to repair the amp they would provide you that option.

If an hsu, psa, rythmik component gave out, outside of the warranty coverage period your option would probably be very similar to what SVS is offering.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Does HSU, Reaction, PSA, etc offer to repair blown amps that are out of warranty?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Best Regards,

Darren McCormick
330.954.3286 [office]
custservice@svsound.com
darrenm@svsound.com
www.svsound.com
Not sure I see anything really wrong here. Not all manufacturers are going to repair an older amp that is out of their production run.

You could consider just getting the amp repaired locally at a local AV repair shop. That's your best option...
Old 07-25-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
Not sure I see anything really wrong here. Not all manufacturers are going to repair an older amp that is out of their production run.

You could consider just getting the amp repaired locally at a local AV repair shop. That's your best option...
That's if the class D amps can be fixed.

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
Old Today, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have 3 750w bash amps for sale if interested.

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer