Official SVS Ultra 13 thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 10505 Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Bill3508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have any of you guys played with the sealed mode yet on the PB13? I did for several hours and to me it was pretty nice with music. Very tight and controled and still lots of output. Only had to bump the gain up a little past the 1/4 to stay at 77db calibrated. I keep mine in 15hz mode and its just great on music and movies. So far this sub has fit the bill for what I wanted. You guys who have duals must be in amazement.

Bill3508

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
Bill3508 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 10505 Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
dbacksfan51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hot as hell Arizona
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody that ordered a Textured Black, got a shipping notice yet?
dbacksfan51 is offline  
post #93 of 10505 Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fargus777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was logging on to ask the exact same question Dbacks! I am patiently waiting for that shipping notice.....

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
Fargus777 is offline  
post #94 of 10505 Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
kweezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fairfield, California
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calibrated flat, 85db across the board, didn't feel the need to go hot a few Db like I did with the ultra/2. Even during calibration I could hear a difference, then had to go out to dinner with friends. Popped in for quick demo before my son has to go to bed. Open Range, War of the Worlds and Blueman group were up. For now it's in the stock tune of 20Hz.

I don't know all the technical terms, but it's definitely a change...in a good way! The PB's are about 3-4ft behind the seating area, during ch5 of WotW I can feel the hairs on my legs move. Never felt that with the ultra/2. In Open Range during the shootout, where Boss is in the building with the shotgun. The ultra/2 would shake the couch with blast through the wall, with the PB I could feel a more powerful rumble and the concussions against my head. I think I hear the biggest difference with music, there seems like there too much bass. Had to turn it down within the receiver, once I did that it sounded awesome. Bluman group's Club Nowhere rattled the house. I'm hear vibrations I've heard before.

The bass feels deeper and definitely faster, also can hear/feel tones that weren't with the ultra/2. I'll do a frequency response tomorrow, tweak it with the on-board PEQ. Good or bad, where these sound there best is close to reference level. At about -12 is where I can really feel the change, at -5 it's awesome sounding.
kweezr is offline  
post #95 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Don_Kellogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 3,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like my pair will be here next week if all goes well.

Dear SVS Customer:

We wanted to inform you right away that a last minute delay has caused your sub to ship next week instead of this week. An unusually high number of orders and a late start with first orders caused this slip. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this might cause, We’ll be dropping a little extra into your box; we hate those “slips”.

Please let us know if you need further information regarding the process now. Briefly, you’ll receive a shipping notice from us, with a tracking number and phone contact number for closing the loop with your freight carrier at your convenience. You won’t be charged until yours leaves our Ohio factory.

The quality of these new subwoofers with the USA made cabinets can’t and won’t be rushed when a slight snag is encountered, and we’re thankful for your understanding while we prepare your new PB13-Ultra subwoofer!

Best regards,

SVS

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Don_Kellogg is offline  
post #96 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
Masty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone purchasing the Ultra 13s with the new perf grill?
Or is there an advantage to staying with the old school grill?

~M
Masty is offline  
post #97 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
kweezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fairfield, California
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The new metal perf grill is on backorder, so everyone is getting the cloth by default
kweezr is offline  
post #98 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masty View Post

Is anyone purchasing the Ultra 13s with the new perf grill?
Or is there an advantage to staying with the old school grill?

~M

I ordered the metal perforated grill just for something different, and perhpas better driver protection from my cats although this has never been a problem with previous subs. The cloth does offer a more traditional discreet look.

My dual rosenut PB13's have arrived at the loading dock near my town and I am anxiously awaiting a call from the freight co. to schedule delivery. Ron, Ed, and Erik were AMAZING at getting my subs switched from black to rosenut and shipped FAST! I really love working with the SVS dudes

Cheers,
Ross
rossandwendy is offline  
post #99 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
dbacksfan51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hot as hell Arizona
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be keeping a close eye on my cat, until the metal grill shows up. She is declawed from her previous owner, but still tries to scratch. With my PB12 never had to worry bout it.
dbacksfan51 is offline  
post #100 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
kweezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fairfield, California
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While the PBs sounded great, it felt like something was missing in the mid-bass range. Did a frequency graph and found out why. I was in a huge null from 40-50Hz and knew the PEQ couldn't help this. So I moved the beasts 12in to the left. What a difference in sound and feel!

Couldn't get REW to work so I did it the ol' fashioned way (these are corrected numbers).



Don't even notice the dip at 90Hz.
kweezr is offline  
post #101 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
kweezr, that's a pretty damn fine looking frequency response graph in the new position!
rossandwendy is offline  
post #102 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OvalNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
And check out the SPL level he recorded it at too.


Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
OvalNut is offline  
post #103 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
kweezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fairfield, California
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was surprised it came out as good as it did.
kweezr is offline  
post #104 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bgillyjcu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DEAR GOD...thats pushing 108db the whole time basically.

I'm assuming that is with DUALS???

Also....was that even testing these beasts?

I'd love to some some REW of the LIGHTNING SCENE and the TRIPOD SCENE from WOTW to see what they beasts can push out when you actually push them hard!!



Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews
 

bgillyjcu is offline  
post #105 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've joined the club. After having to posptone delivery last week due to travelling, I finally took delivery of my PB13 Ultra this afternoon. After some initial setup and calibration, things are sounding great. For now I've settled into 15hz mode. The bass is deep, smooth, and powerfull. I really couldn't ask for anything more. This weekend, I'll use REW to further test the Ultra in all tuning modes.

The 13-Ultra is working with a stereo pair of SB12+'s and a large externally powered ported twin 10" TC driver box. The Ultra will easily play a good half of octave deeper than the SB+'s, but does not completely put the big TC box to shame. I believe the new Ultra will play deeper than the TC box, but I doubt it will outgun it in shear output. That old box asserts itself surprisingly well. I'll run some comparison tests and do some additional tweaking this weekend.
LL
LL
LL
LL
mojomike is offline  
post #106 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
kweezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fairfield, California
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

DEAR GOD...thats pushing 108db the whole time basically.

I'm assuming that is with DUALS???

Also....was that even testing these beasts?

I'd love to some some REW of the LIGHTNING SCENE and the TRIPOD SCENE from WOTW to see what they beasts can push out when you actually push them hard!!



It's duals alright. Did the lightning scene yesterday and hit 114db at -15, will have to try it again now that I have a flatter response.
kweezr is offline  
post #107 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OvalNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
And remember folks, to get to a reasonable approximation of what a single one of these subs will do, just subtract 6db from the numbers shown.... that's still 108db.


Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
OvalNut is offline  
post #108 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Broke out an old standby bass test DVD tonight, The Haunting, (if you bass heads don't have this DVD you should)
beginning of Chapter 10.
Huge, deep door knock type sound effects.....
At -15 with the LFE level set to 76db, a db hot, SPL meter peaked at 116db!
Our poor little Jack Russell freaked out... it was pretty cool watching her run for cover.
I must admit SPL like that gets inside of you, makes your stomach kind of turn over if you know what I mean.
Your only thought becomes, WOW that's cool but how much more before the house starts falling apart
All this from a single PC-13U placed in the left front corner.

dc

EDIT: Chapter 13 is equally as impressive. My SPL meter hit 122db at one point!!!!
I wanted to go back to verify but I couldn't put the poor dog through it again just yet and she's to freaked out now to leave in the backyard.

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #109 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Broke out an old standby bass test DVD tonight, The Haunting, (if you bass heads don't have this DVD you should)
beginning of Chapter 10.
Huge, deep door knock type sound effects.....
At -15 with the LFE level set to 76db, a db hot, SPL meter peaked at 116db!
Our poor little Jack Russell freaked out... it was pretty cool watching her run for cover.
I must admit SPL like that gets inside of you, makes your stomach kind of turn over if you know what I mean.
Your only thought becomes, WOW that's cool but how much more before the house starts falling apart
All this from a single PC-13U placed in the left front corner.

dc

WOW, these Ultra13 reports are awesome!! DreamCatcher, what size is your room and which tune were you using?
rossandwendy is offline  
post #110 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweezr View Post

Was surprised it came out as good as it did.

kweezr, was that graph done in the 20hz or the 15hz tune? If it was the 20hz setting then that is crazy-good output you're getting at 16hz, and the 15hz tune would probbaly shake things up strongly to 12hz...

My PB13's are scheduled for delivery between 12-3pm PDT tomorrow and I have probably never anticipated any audio purchase more than this! I am hoping I can entice the delivery dude with a cash tip to help me carry the 166-pound boxed beasts upstairs to the media room
rossandwendy is offline  
post #111 of 10505 Old 08-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
rossandwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

EDIT: Chapter 13 is equally as impressive. My SPL meter hit 122db at one point!!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!
rossandwendy is offline  
post #112 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post

WOW, these Ultra13 reports are awesome!! DreamCatcher, what size is your room and which tune were you using?

Room is roughly 18x15, open to the kitchen, dining room, hallway and such, in other words not a sealed room by any means.
I was using the 20hz tune (no port plugs).

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #113 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
kweezr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Fairfield, California
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


kweezr, was that graph done in the 20hz or the 15hz tune? If it was the 20hz setting then that is crazy-good output you're getting at 16hz, and the 15hz tune would probbaly shake things up strongly to 12hz...

20Hz tune, have tried any others yet and pretty happy with the way it is right now.

The family room is 18x23 with 14ft vaulted ceilings and opens up to the kitchen, dinning living room and a couple of hallways. It's roughly 7700+cuft
kweezr is offline  
post #114 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bgillyjcu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post

Broke out an old standby bass test DVD tonight, The Haunting, (if you bass heads don't have this DVD you should)
beginning of Chapter 10.
Huge, deep door knock type sound effects.....
At -15 with the LFE level set to 76db, a db hot, SPL meter peaked at 116db!
Our poor little Jack Russell freaked out... it was pretty cool watching her run for cover.
I must admit SPL like that gets inside of you, makes your stomach kind of turn over if you know what I mean.
Your only thought becomes, WOW that's cool but how much more before the house starts falling apart
All this from a single PC-13U placed in the left front corner.

dc

EDIT: Chapter 13 is equally as impressive. My SPL meter hit 122db at one point!!!!
I wanted to go back to verify but I couldn't put the poor dog through it again just yet and she's to freaked out now to leave in the backyard.


116db and 122db on that movie....with only a single PC-U.

Thats insane...

what was your previous sub and what were you numbers with the same set up? How much of in increase in db did you achieve with the new Ultra?

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews
 

bgillyjcu is offline  
post #115 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Tweakophyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 3,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweezr View Post

Calibrated flat, 85db across the board, didn't feel the need to go hot a few Db like I did with the ultra/2. Even during calibration I could hear a difference, then had to go out to dinner with friends. Popped in for quick demo before my son has to go to bed. Open Range, War of the Worlds and Blueman group were up. For now it's in the stock tune of 20Hz.

I don't know all the technical terms, but it's definitely a change...in a good way! The PB's are about 3-4ft behind the seating area, during ch5 of WotW I can feel the hairs on my legs move. Never felt that with the ultra/2. In Open Range during the shootout, where Boss is in the building with the shotgun. The ultra/2 would shake the couch with blast through the wall, with the PB I could feel a more powerful rumble and the concussions against my head. I think I hear the biggest difference with music, there seems like there too much bass. Had to turn it down within the receiver, once I did that it sounded awesome. Bluman group's Club Nowhere rattled the house. I'm hear vibrations I've heard before.

The bass feels deeper and definitely faster, also can hear/feel tones that weren't with the ultra/2. I'll do a frequency response tomorrow, tweak it with the on-board PEQ. Good or bad, where these sound there best is close to reference level. At about -12 is where I can really feel the change, at -5 it's awesome sounding.

Congrats! Try the Flight of the Phoenix crash scene. What do you mean "too much bass" with music? It it the sting of the bass drum that you never felt, or are you running the sub a little hot?

By the way, once you get REW up and running a really good trick to blend the sub with the mains is to use the distance setting on your receiver to tweak the phase. Set the phase of your subs to zero. Then you run multiple measurements changing the distance setting. You can see the difference it makes all on one chart. So easy!
Tweakophyte is offline  
post #116 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Tweakophyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Boulder, CO, USA
Posts: 3,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MojoMike, that SB12+ looks like a munchin sitting atop the Ultra. Do you even need those any more?
Tweakophyte is offline  
post #117 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am brand new to this board and looking for some help. I am searching for a new Subwoofer and could really use some recomendations. My system is:
Arcam AVR-350 Receiver
Paradigm Studio 80 V2 fronts
Paradigm Studio CC V2 center
Balanced Power Technology HCPC Power unit
Denon 2910 dvd/sacd/dvd-audio
signal cables upgraded power cords and audioquest midnight speaker cable

The two subs I have been looking at are the Paradigm Seismic 12 and the Velodyne SPL 1200. However, since looking on-line I have also read many glowing feebacks about SVS Subwoofers. So I am looking for a little guidance here. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

The room is very open because the kitchen, living room, dining room is one big open room probebly around 1700 square feet give or take. The stereo is positioned 11 ft from the couches.
rydenfan is offline  
post #118 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

MojoMike, that SB12+ looks like a munchin sitting atop the Ultra. Do you even need those any more?

"Need" is all relative. I'm not sure I needed them to begin with. They don't really take things any deeper. They are hooked up in stereo with the L&R front main speakers. Their purpose is to make the L&R front channels full range. When listening to 2ch music, I use the L&R front mains and the SB+'s only, not the big subs. The SB+'s really excel with music. They don't sound like subs. They just sound like the woofers of a full range system. Very good woofers, of course.
mojomike is offline  
post #119 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
ManicMiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

"Need" is all relative. I'm not sure I needed them to begin with. They don't really take things any deeper. They are hooked up in stereo with the L&R front main speakers. Their purpose is to make the L&R front channels full range. When listening to 2ch music, I use the L&R front mains and the SB+'s only, not the big subs. The SB+'s really excel with music. They don't sound like subs. They just sound like the woofers of a full range system. Very good woofers, of course.


I have almost the exact same setup. Two SB12's handling the bass for music, and a PB12-Plus used for LFE only. The reason why I went with this solution was because I wanted stereo bass and I could not fit two PB12s anywhere in the front row.

I like taking the bass out of the equation when shopping for new speakers, just as I like taking the amplification out of the equation when buying a receiver. And thats why I use subs for bass and a power amp for driving the speakers.

Thomas. Rated R for non-stop dumbness, language and some nudity
ManicMiner is offline  
post #120 of 10505 Old 08-30-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's nice to be able to tweak the bass for music completely separate from the LFE bass for movies.
mojomike is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off