best powered sub under 200? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, i just bought a new h/k receiver to replace my dying 1996 sony. My new receiver only takes powered subs. With that in mind, what would be the best sub out there right now that is under 200?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vln004 View Post

hey guys, i just bought a new h/k receiver to replace my dying 1996 sony. My new receiver only takes powered subs. With that in mind, what would be the best sub out there right now that is under 200?

You might find a sub by itself for under 200..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #3 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Here you go. http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-spe...4.html?tag=sub

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #4 of 23 Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

post #5 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM

I just purchased this sub yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it sounds. I had a Wharfedale 10" sub that went out last week watching superman returns. Not sure why but checked the fuse, checked connections but I'm not getting power. I wasn't really prepared to buy a sub at the moment but my music and movies and games just seem flat now and I'm not enjoying my PS3 one bit right now. So this sub will do until I need another. From the reviews though it sounds like I will like this a lot. I let you know when i get it.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM

I've heard the dayton 10" from parts express and like it better than the 12"....the 12" is pretty boomy in comparison, but it's all personal preference.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartLittle View Post

I've heard the dayton 10" from parts express and like it better than the 12"....the 12" is pretty boomy in comparison, but it's all personal preference.

Did you calibrate the subs with an SPL meter?
post #8 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all these suggestions. I was able to find that polk sub on craigslist for 100 brand new still sealed. I'll have a look at it today and if it is indeed good, i'll buy it.

on a side note, i'm also looking for floor standing speakers and found a nice looking pair on craigslist for about 100. does anyone know if 'digital pro audio' is a good legit brand? i can't find it on google.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:

thanks for all these suggestions. I was able to find that polk sub on craigslist for 100 brand new still sealed. I'll have a look at it today and if it is indeed good, i'll buy it.

on a side note, i'm also looking for floor standing speakers and found a nice looking pair on craigslist for about 100. does anyone know if 'digital pro audio' is a good legit brand? i can't find it on google.

Don't buy anything with "digital" in it's name.
Seriously.
post #10 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Sounds like some generic named junk speakers like the ones sold via the "White vans"..I'd skip them.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

i had a feeling. Thanks for the warning.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM

What about the av123 x-sub? I beleve its $199 (30 - 40 for shipping?)
post #13 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 PM

Regarding the Polk sub, I found the PSW-12 at a good price and picked it up, but it was pretty poor. The most glaring issue was port noise, which, when playing back low frequencies at fairly high levels, was pretty much the only audible thing come from the sub. It reminded me of a hurricane. I'd imagine the PSW-10 would have less port noise due to the smaller driver, but, frankly, I wouldn't touch it.

As camaroz06 suggested, the X-Sub would be a great choice if you could extend your budget a bit. If you're looking for a bit more output, especially for movies, the BIC H-100 would also be an excellent choice (I ended up getting it myself) and it can be had for about $250 shipped, assuming you're somewhere in the 48 contiguous states.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM

You know what the problem with starting a post with "best powered sub under 200" is?

Eventually someone is going to suggest "well, if you could stretch your budget to $XXX you could get this sub". And then someone else says "yeah or if you stretch it even more, you could have this".

That's what happened to me anyway! Thanks to guys like Vardo, Craigsub and many others, we have a lot of information at our disposal to help us choose a great sub.

I highly recommend starting here. Search all the subs on the list and you'll find that some of the better subs are not the most expensive ones.
post #15 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
The only sub on Craigs list that is under $200.00 is the X sub. If you are looking for a sub near that price with shipping, I would suggest the Velodyne VX10. It performs very well in smaller rooms and will extend down into upper 20hz range. It's also a more linear sub then the Polk and won't sound boomy if placed and calibrated properly.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #16 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

I took delivery today of a new compact sub by Celestion, the S10. I was looking for a bedroom sub to compliment my daughter's Celestions DL-4's. I considered the AV123 X sub (and HSU and Outlaw) but decided to try something new and under the radar of the good folks here at AVS forum.

It cost me $172 delivered from Florida to Kentucky.

The S10 is the companion sub for thoses cool looking plexiglass floor standing speakers made by Celestion.

It has a bottom firing 8" woofer pushed by a rear mounted 200 watt amp. It is a bass reflex design with a oval port also mounted on the bottom. The port is approx. 2" tall x 6" wide and around 7" deep. I haven't had time to remove the woofer, but a visual inspection of it shows a large rubber suspension supporting a treated paper cone.

It has a feature usually found on more expensive subs, a variable phase adjustment from 0 to 180 degrees. The terminals are pretty nice for a budget sub, They are gold plated screw type and allow for direct wiring from an amp or older receiver without a sub out jack. There is another set of terminals for hooking up the satellites. It's not a heavy sub only weighing in at 32 lbs.

Like I said, I just received them today and only listened to it for about an hour on my lunch hour. I listened to a couple of music CDs one being The Eagles "When hell freezes over" and it sounded quite good considering it's not located in a corner and right out of the box. It seems to have plenty of punch and defination so far.

The 2nd Cd that I threw in was the music soundtrack from the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean movie. That soundtrack has plenty of cellos and other low frequencies. I listened to most of the CD until I had to walk the dog and head back to work. The bass sounded good but not great. I need to spend some time relocating the sub and make a few adjustments.

It's a nicely made sub, suitable for a bedroom or small living room where pant flapping bass is not needed.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/KEFS10BLK

Here is the rear view of the amp plate. Click on the subwoofer rear picture for a large blow up.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_ID/1867
post #17 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Got the Dayton Sub-12 in today. Went home and hooked it up. Haven't had a chance to adjust it yet. Kind of ear tuned it and for 150 bucks I'm happy. I can see how someone would say that it is boomy if you have all the knobs turned up all the way. I look forward to being able to tune mine properly and possibly get one for my stereo in the basement or try to fix the problem with my old sub that went out.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

How are Boston Acoustic subs?

That Celestion looks pretty damn good, actually.

I just want a decent sub, nothing that's gonna explode through the wall or rattle the dead, I'm building up my first piece by piece home theater.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM

I listened to the Boston XB6 and didn't like it as much as the Polk PSW-12. The Polk was smoother to my ears, with the XB6 having a lot of energy in the upper bass range. I did not listen to the smaller XB4 or XB2 subs, however.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

The XB4 is the one I'm eyeing.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-05-2007, 01:25 PM

I have a budget in the same range, and I just picked up a boston acoustics XB4 opened box for $160, so it is a pretty good deal. So far I really do like how it pairs with my mains, but I am concerned about the fact that it bottoms out at 35hz.

So, I am tied between this sub, the velodyne VX10, and the av123 x-sub (but I really don't want to order from an ID brand so that isn't necessarily *that* close to the realm of consideration.) I can get the VX-10 locally.

Would it be worth it to return the XB4 and get that velodyne VX-10 instead? Or is the XB4 a better sub?
post #22 of 23 Old 10-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Dayton 120 is a nice sub for ~150
post #23 of 23 Old 10-05-2007, 02:36 PM

sell ya my kef psw2150 for 200 that came with my kef 2005.2's, it's never been used but i am going to upgrade from it to something with more power. specs can be seen here http://www.kef.com/KHT/KHT2005.2/sub_specs_US.htm
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page