What to do with old HSU VTF-2 Sub?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently replaced my HSU VTF-2(150wt amp model) with a PB13. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the HSU. The sub still works fine but one of my cats tore the foam surround on the woofer slightly. It was glued back and is fine but I don't want to sell it to anyone like that, and don't know if anyone would want it given that issue. I contacted HSU to see if they had any old drivers laying around but they did not. Instead, they said I could order a new updated driver but they never got back to me with a price.

So what do I do with this thing? Or does anyone have an old VTF-2 driver lying around?

Thanks

Bill3508

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 01:41 PM

Donate it to me

Sorry, not extra driver but I would just try calling them back or contact Peter Marcks of HSU, he'd probably help you as well. He is a member of AVS or you can join the HSU forums and PM him as well.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 02:05 PM

If I were on the same situation as you. I would high pass the VTF2 and use it as a mid bass module and tune the ultra to 10hz and let'em rip

Whomever raises their hand against the water lords, Loses that hand. Vaska "The Witcher"
post #4 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroyuki Sakai View Post

If I were on the same situation as you. I would high pass the VTF2 and use it as a mid bass module and tune the ultra to 10hz and let'em rip

What would I need to do this? The VTF-2 does not have an additional high pass switch. Also, if I could not get another HSU driver is there something comparable that I could get to try out in this enclosure?

Thanks

Bill3508

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM

I would look on that online auction site for a foam surround repair kit.

I refoamed six 8" woofers a couple of months ago with great results.

A refoam kit costs about $25 and comes with new foam surround rings, voice coil shims, adhesive, and detailed instructions.

I did all six woofers in one weekend and it was really quite easy. Take your time and follow the instructions and everything should come out perfect.

There are a couple of companies that carry the souuround replacement kits. If they do not have your exact application listed just send them an e-mail. They have been very helpful to me.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know you could replace the foam surround. Thanks for that info.

Bill3508

post #7 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3508 View Post

What would I need to do this? The VTF-2 does not have an additional high pass switch. Also, if I could not get another HSU driver is there something comparable that I could get to try out in this enclosure?

Thanks

Bill3508

I'm thinking this one would work
http://www.audioc.com/accessories1/misc/hipass.htm

You need to split the lfe pre out of your a/v reciever. Then run one subwoofer cable inline with the 65hz HP to the hsu amp. Set the pre/pro to 100Hz xover as it will handle the bass management between your mains and the sub(s). Run the second subwoofer cable to the PB13 and set it's xover from the amp to 60Hz (you need to play around with this to get a seamless transition to the hsu and also the variable phase knob) Place the hsu to the front to reduce localization and place the PB13 to nearfield, so you get a buttkicker for free

There are also these products at creative sound solutions if that HP filter from aci doesnt work.
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=B-1
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=F-1

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong

Whomever raises their hand against the water lords, Loses that hand. Vaska "The Witcher"
post #8 of 17 Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Might give that a try before I get rid of it.

Bill3508

post #9 of 17 Old 09-16-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Parts Express also carries a series of MOD's for this purpose: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=266-270

Bill
post #10 of 17 Old 11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else still making good use out of the "original" VTF-2? I've had mine for 4 years now and while I have wondered what a newer (lower than 25hz response) sub would be like my room size current other HT updates do not really warrant it at this time. Plus in my small 12x16x8 room (with just 2 door way size openings) this old "low powered" (relative to todays) sub is calibrated at -4dB on the reciever with the Sub amp at < 1/3! That's with it always in Max Extension mode... I've never used Max output.

Just wondering how other's VTF-2 originals are holding up. Sometimes I think the auto on gets flipped to off a little quick but that's only on TV material, movies its been solid with being ON properly. Actually with it's performance I could just keep using this sub until it wears out / breaks.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still in the process of repairing mine. I was able to get an upgraded woofer, but the amp is going down on it. In the process of working on replacing that now. Its still a good sub and while the PB13 really replaced it in the room, it will still stand backup if I can get it going again as it seems to help fill my bad room layout. Bought mine in December of 2000.

Bill3508

post #12 of 17 Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Actually ordered a replacement amp from HSU just a little while ago. VTF2Mk2 amp. Should be here next week so hopefully it will be back up and running soon.

Bill3508

post #13 of 17 Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Bill where you able to get the upgraded woofer from HSU directly? Can you PM (or post if possible) the MSRP cost of the woofer and also the VTF2Mk2 amp? Just so I have it in mind for if my original needs new parts (knock on wood that doesn't happen). I hadn't thought of just replacing/upgrading parts but this sounds like an apealing alternative to an entire new sub, if that need ever comes to pass.

If HSU has these parts listed on their site, I do apologize for posting before looking.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker1024 View Post

Bill where you able to get the upgraded woofer from HSU directly? Can you PM (or post if possible) the MSRP cost of the woofer and also the VTF2Mk2 amp? Just so I have it in mind for if my original needs new parts (knock on wood that doesn't happen). I hadn't thought of just replacing/upgrading parts but this sounds like an apealing alternative to an entire new sub, if that need ever comes to pass.

If HSU has these parts listed on their site, I do apologize for posting before looking.

I did not get the woofer directly from HSU as another company went out of their way to get me one. I did order the amp direct, and its cost was $150. I believe if you upgraded the woofer and amp direct it would cost $250. $150 was really the max I would want to spend to get this up and running again, and at the time I got the upgraded woofer I thought my amp was okay. The parts are not listed on HSU site, you just have to contact tech support. The new amp is a 250w Bash amp compared to the 150wt in the Mk1. Also, the only modifications needed are to square out the corners of the amp housing and make a cutout for the amp in the insulation as the new amp is an open design compared to the enclosed unit before it.

Bill3508

post #15 of 17 Old 11-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Bill3508-Thanks for the information... If it's not too much trouble can you please post back in this thread (when you have everything all setup) with your overal impressions of going from the original VTF-2 to the upgraded Woofer/Amp in your room? If you could do it with the sub in the same position of the room and almost everything else the same that would be great, Thanks.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Got the amp yesterday and got it put in. Its more work though than just rounding out the corners. The overall amp dimensions are slightly different. MK2 amp is 10" Hx 10"W, MK1 amp is 9 13/16" H x 9 13/16" W. So a good bit of dremeling was required on one side and bottom to make this fit. You also had to make small cutouts for two parts on the left side of the amp. It mounted up fine although my dremeling doesn't look the best, but not leaks of any kind at amp or woofer.

On setup, its either clear that my amp was crapped out or this new amp is much stronger. Either way to calibrate at 85 db at 0 on receiver only .25" above first tick is all that is needed. Subs sounds great again finally and should last many more years. Also, running both subs I'm pretty flat from 80 down to 20, with a slight dip at 25.

Its a upgrade worth doing once your MK1 starts to fade.

Bill3508

post #17 of 17 Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page