User experiences on Velodyne SMS-1 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 332 Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

They are unaltered as are the high pass outs. Both work with the unit turned off.

Does this mean no ADC to DAC conversions?

Emotiva UMC-200, USP-1, XDA-2, XPA-2, XPA-3, ERC-1, OPPO BDP-103, Polk Audio RTi10, Polk Audio CSi5, Polk Audio RTiA1, Epik Knight, Velodyne SMS-1, Roku Streaming Stick,Samsung HP-T5054, Direct TV HR44-500 (Genie), APC H15, Emotiva CMX-2, Harmony Touch, Emotiva X-series Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 332 Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by math wizard View Post

Does this mean no ADC to DAC conversions?

There is no conversion.
post #273 of 332 Old 12-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'd like some advice from the pros -

I have a dedicated HT room where I recently added a second sealed ED A7s-450 sub. (Dual 18"'s). I'm spending lots of time learning about optimizing for room response.

I have MultiEQ XT with my system, but I'd like recommendations on if fine tuning my room with Auddsesey and if that's enough for my EQ/Bass Management needs, or a more elegant solution such as the SMS-1 is helpful.

Feedback appreciated.
post #274 of 332 Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
What I do is run the Audyssey, then follow it by tweaking the bass afterward with the SMS-1
post #275 of 332 Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

What I do is run the Audyssey, then follow it by tweaking the bass afterward with the SMS-1

Same here.
post #276 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Same here.

Another same here.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #277 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by math wizard View Post

Thanks for the reply. another question, Are the signals coming from the "THRU" output of the SMS-1 unaltered? I thought that I read that the signal from this output was unaltered, but I can't remember the source of that information.

Yes, the Thru-puts are unaltered.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #278 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

This is our recommendation.

When in comes to audio there are seldom right and wrong answers.  The opinions of "experts" are just that, and should be used as a suggestion only.  Remember at the end of the day it is your money, your system, and you will need to listen to it.
post #279 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post

This is our recommendation.

You want to set up your sub first with the SMS-1, then run Audyssey. If you run Audyssey first then run the SMS-1, you can screw up the Audyssey settings. Always, set the sub(s) up first, then run the reciever EQ like Audyssey or MCACC.
post #280 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

You want to set up your sub first with the SMS-1, then run Audyssey. If you run Audyssey first then run the SMS-1, you can screw up the Audyssey settings. Always, set the sub(s) up first, then run the reciever EQ like Audyssey or MCACC.

I thought you were just supposed to run Audyssey first with the EQ in the system, so Audyssey could account for the time delay. Then run the sub EQ over the top of that as it had more filters available for finer tuning.

lol, I think I'm confused now!
post #281 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You are able to run the Audyssey or the SMS in either order. Remember if the Audyssey was doing such a phenomenal job to begin with then your subwoofer response would already be flat and there would be no need for the SMS-1 at all. Why dial in the subwoofer with the parametric EQ then allow Audyssey to change it?

Ultimately in our testing we found running the SMS after Audyssey yeilded the best results in our room with our equipment. As always your individual results may vary.

post #282 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

I thought you were just supposed to run Audyssey first with the EQ in the system, so Audyssey could account for the time delay. Then run the sub EQ over the top of that as it had more filters available for finer tuning.

lol, I think I'm confused now!

Audyssey will tell you to run the sub EQ first then Audyssey. Audyssey is always the final as it sets it's filters for the whole system. You never want to change what Audyssey has set.
post #283 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Audyssey will tell you to run the sub EQ first then Audyssey. Audyssey is always the final as it sets it's filters for the whole system. You never want to change what Audyssey has set.

+1. I also think it's best to run the sub eq first and then run Audyssey. Remember, Audyssey is hearing everything and making decisions based on what it hears. I don't think it's a good idea to adjust the sub's eq after Audyssey has run. I thinking having the sub eq'd first and then run Audyssey may make it easier on Audyssey and cause Audyssey to apply its' resources in other places if the sub eq is good. For my setup, that's how I do my system. But, every room and every setup is different. So, it really boils down to what works best for you and your setup. Good luck to you.
post #284 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ultimately in our testing we found running the SMS after Audyssey yeilded the best results in our room with our equipment. As always your individual results may vary.

The chicken or the egg conundrum will continue forever.

post #285 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except the part where Audyssey sets the LFE gain to near -8dB on many systems.

post #286 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The chicken or the egg conundrum will continue forever.

I agree with that too. Decisions decisions. Who's right. Who's wrong. I guess we will never know the real answer, and they said this hobby was straight forward.
post #287 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except the part where Audyssey sets the LFE gain to near -8dB on many systems.

I would think that means the sub's volume is too high. I would just turn down the sub volume and rerun Audyssey. For my setup, which I have 2 DD-18s daisy-chained together, and love them very much, good job Velodyne, I have my volume set on 2. Inside my pre-pro, the volume trim for my sub channel is +1. They fill my 4032 cubic feet room very, very, very nicely. The bass is full, clean, and very accurate. My wife always ask me why do I always look like the Joker.

I will post my chart, from my room correction system, tonight.
post #288 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

You are able to run the Audyssey or the SMS in either order.

Whichever order you run them in, if you're going to use them together, it's important to have the SMS-1 in the system before you run Audyssey. This allows Audyssey to account for the latency of the SMS-1's A/D D/A converters when it sets the Subwoofer Distance.

My preference, when I used the SMS-1 with Audyssey MultEQ XT, was to run Audyssey first and then clean up the resulting FR with the SMS-1. I would put the SMS-1 in Preset 6, (all filters flat), and then run Audyssey. After Audyssey XT, there were usually only some minor "tweaks" that needed clean up.

Quote:

Remember if the Audyssey was doing such a phenomenal job to begin with then your subwoofer response would already be flat and there would be no need for the SMS-1 at all. Why dial in the subwoofer with the parametric EQ then allow Audyssey to change it?

You're right, Rob! The latest version of Audyssey, XT32, does such a great job, that I have removed my SMS-1 from my system. Here is the Audyssey XT32 result on my 3 Submersives:

That's just the subs, (no speakers), but with an 80 Hz crossover. Yep, that's +/-1 dB from 16 Hz to 80 Hz. No need for a parametric EQ now.

Here is the total system response:

(The rising low end is from the DSP program in the Submersives, which was turned on after running Audyssey XT32.)

Anyway, I'm selling my SMS-1 to a friend. I don't need it anymore. At one time, it was a great addition to my system, but it has been outdated by Audyssey XT32.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #289 of 332 Old 12-20-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I would think that means the sub's volume is too high. I would just turn down the sub volume and rerun Audyssey. For my setup, which I have 2 DD-18s daisy-chained together, and love them very much, good job Velodyne, I have my volume set on 2. Inside my pre-pro, the volume trim for my sub channel is +1. They fill my 4032 cubic feet room very, very, very nicely. The bass is full, clean, and very accurate. My wife always ask me why do I always look like the Joker.

I will post my chart, from my room correction system, tonight.

As promised, here is my chart. It also has the rears and center channels along with sub. The red measurement, for the sub which also has the eq engaged, is what my room correction system, ARC (Anthem Room Correction), is hearing before applying any correction. The blue dashed lines is the target, and the green line is what it actually did as far as hitting the target. You will also noticed, in the other charts, that I introduced a little house curve which is kicking in around 300 - 400 Hz and the final result of the sub is factoring in the house curve. Also, all of my speakers are crossed over at 60 Hz. However, my sub is actually kicking in at 120 Hz since it doesn't have any problems at all up 120 Hz; but, ARC blends the sub, as well as the other speakers, very nicely. Anyway, enough with the typing. Here's the chart.
LL
post #290 of 332 Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I ordered an SMS-1 from B&H yesterday, going to use it for my eD A7s-650 when it arrives
post #291 of 332 Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Whichever order you run them in, if you're going to use them together, it's important to have the SMS-1 in the system before you run Audyssey. This allows Audyssey to account for the latency of the SMS-1's A/D D/A converters when it sets the Subwoofer Distance.

My preference, when I used the SMS-1 with Audyssey MultEQ XT, was to run Audyssey first and then clean up the resulting FR with the SMS-1. I would put the SMS-1 in Preset 6, (all filters flat), and then run Audyssey. After Audyssey XT, there were usually only some minor "tweaks" that needed clean up.

You're right, Rob! The latest version of Audyssey, XT32, does such a great job, that I have removed my SMS-1 from my system. Here is the Audyssey XT32 result on my 3 Submersives:

That's just the subs, (no speakers), but with an 80 Hz crossover. Yep, that's +/-1 dB from 16 Hz to 80 Hz. No need for a parametric EQ now.

Here is the total system response:

(The rising low end is from the DSP program in the Submersives, which was turned on after running Audyssey XT32.)

Anyway, I'm selling my SMS-1 to a friend. I don't need it anymore. At one time, it was a great addition to my system, but it has been outdated by Audyssey XT32.

Craig

I was thinking about ordering one of these and using it in favor of the eq.2 that came with my A7s 450, but after reading your post I think I will just mess with the eq.2 some more and wait untill I upgrade my Onkyo TX NR807 some time in the future to a receiver with XT32. Pretty impressive chart you had there with just running the newer Audyssey version

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #292 of 332 Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does SMS1 have any processor delay & if so by how much?

Vinod
post #293 of 332 Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Does SMS1 have any processor delay & if so by how much?

While I'm not sure on how much the delay actually is, I do remember reading that you're suppose add 4ft to the sub distance to make up for the slight delay.
post #294 of 332 Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Just a a greedy personal bump to get this one near the top (for additional study later)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
post #295 of 332 Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

A greedy personal bumo - to bring this one back near the top

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #296 of 332 Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM

I sold my SMS-1. It is the most user friendly PEQ out there and I learnt a lot from the experience of owning one.

I now use an Omnimic and the EQ built into my processor.

Dave.

Topend

I listen to 50% HT and 50% 2 channel music.
post #297 of 332 Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I might have been your buyer.
About 3 weeks ago on ebay?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #298 of 332 Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I might have been your buyer.
About 3 weeks ago on ebay?

Could be, I sent it to Perth.

Dave.

Topend

post #299 of 332 Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope I am a different buyer - I'm in the Chicago area.
Sidenote: I played around with REW this past spring and eventually got results. However; the SMS-1 is awesome and way easy by comparison, and seeing results instantly is priceless!!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
post #300 of 332 Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Nope I am a different buyer - I'm in the Chicago area.
Sidenote: I played around with REW this past spring and eventually got results. However; the SMS-1 is awesome and way easy by comparison, and seeing results instantly is priceless!!

Seeing the results instantly, even while making PEQ adjustments, sure is good.

Not only are you in a different city to my buyer, different country and hemisphere too.

Dave.

Topend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page