AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Anyone?

yes, it will do what you describe. You have 100% total control of the FR.

Using the parametric EQ: frequencies, boosts/cuts, Q values (wide or narrow/ notch)

Plus, phase angle, rolloff slopes, preset volumes, and others. You can adjust low pass Xover or turn it off when used with a AVR's own Xover (recommended).

There are 6 customizable presets. For example, when you make changes in the EQ'izer, you can apply them globally in "setup" mode or make them apply just to a specific preset. The same is true for all the other settings, including phase.

The way the GUI works is sort of DOS-like but is highly customizable.

As long as you stay with Manual mode and don't use the Auto-EQ modes, you can create various target house curves using Velodyne's Action, Jazz/Classical, Rock, Movie presets OR you can EQ them globally and set up #5 as your custom house curve. #6 is a defeat mode, bypassing EQ'er & settings.

I combined the use of the AS-EQ1 with the DD sub's built-in EQ'er (same as the SMS-1), leaving my 1-4 presets as they were pre-EQ1 and used #6 to bypass everything the Velodyne did so all I got was the AS-EQ1's adjustments. That way, I could do a/b comparisons. I could also have used the Velodyne system to create my own house curve on top of the AS-EQ1 by using preset 5. I just haven't taken the time to do that yet since I only setup the EQ1 between Xmas & New Years

If you didn't like the EQ1 because you couldn't adjust what it did, the SMS-1 will give you all that flexibility.

Both are excellent bass EQ systems, each has its own strengths & weaknesses. The main limitations with the SMS-1 are it doesn't EQ in the time domain (decay times), only 1 position, and the time it takes....I could spend several hrs tweaking it. It's not an auto-pilot device. It CAN be (auto-EQ) but not too many recommend the auto-EQ mode over manual; it's main use is for beginners just starting out.

I liked the Velodyne system a whole lot, it did a good job. My reasons for getting the EQ1 was to see if there was something even better & to see if an Audyssey approach would work better with 2 nulls above the Xover I couldn't smooth out with the Velodyne.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 332 Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

yes, it will do what you describe. You have 100% total control of the FR.

Using the parametric EQ: frequencies, boosts/cuts, Q values (wide or narrow/ notch)

Plus, phase angle, rolloff slopes, preset volumes, and others. You can adjust low pass Xover or turn it off when used with a AVR's own Xover (recommended).

There are 6 customizable presets. For example, when you make changes in the EQ'izer, you can apply them globally in "setup" mode or make them apply just to a specific preset. The same is true for all the other settings, including phase.

The way the GUI works is sort of DOS-like but is highly customizable.

As long as you stay with Manual mode and don't use the Auto-EQ modes, you can create various target house curves using Velodyne's Action, Jazz/Classical, Rock, Movie presets OR you can EQ them globally and set up #5 as your custom house curve. #6 is a defeat mode, bypassing EQ'er & settings.

I combined the use of the AS-EQ1 with the DD sub's built-in EQ'er (same as the SMS-1), leaving my 1-4 presets as they were pre-EQ1 and used #6 to bypass everything the Velodyne did so all I got was the AS-EQ1's adjustments. That way, I could do a/b comparisons. I could also have used the Velodyne system to create my own house curve on top of the AS-EQ1 by using preset 5. I just haven't taken the time to do that yet since I only setup the EQ1 between Xmas & New Years

If you didn't like the EQ1 because you couldn't adjust what it did, the SMS-1 will give you all that flexibility.

Both are excellent bass EQ systems, each has its own strengths & weaknesses. The main limitations with the SMS-1 are it doesn't EQ in the time domain (decay times), only 1 position, and the time it takes....I could spend several hrs tweaking it. It's not an auto-pilot device. It CAN be (auto-EQ) but not too many recommend the auto-EQ mode over manual; it's main use is for beginners just starting out.

I liked the Velodyne system a whole lot, it did a good job. My reasons for getting the EQ1 was to see if there was something even better & to see if an Audyssey approach would work better with 2 nulls above the Xover I couldn't smooth out with the Velodyne.

Thanks for the great information.

In your opinion, does my "before" measurement in my ealier post look like a "house curve" (ie - gentle curve upward as frequency decreases)? Or does it look like there are significant improvements that the SMS-1 bring to that curve (enough to justify spending $350?)? If it matters, I let my processor (Anthem AVM20) handle crossover duties; low pass filter is set to 80Hz.

Thank you again for your information and help.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page