Ed A5-350, SVS or HSU in Canada! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm ready to complete my HT and last piece is a sub.

Problem is that I live in Canada. SO basically, even with our $ high, the SVS and HSU supplier in canada still charge surcharge. SO basically, I'm wandering for Canadian price, what would be the best deal. I'm looking to near 600$ for a sub. List I've come up with is :

Ed A5-350 : 615 US$ (it seems to include shipping, using canada standard. Also a little less than 615 since CAN$ is higher) (@ Elemental Design)

SVS PB12-NSD : 699 CAN$ (+55$ shipping, + taxes) (@ sonicboomaudio)

HSU : VTF3-MK3 : Well, directly from HSU, but it does cost an arm for shipping, which come as the more expensive one.

So,what are you take on this. I'm looking for best quality/price ... Looking forward for your inputs!

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM

ED, best bang for your bucks, er Loonies..
post #3 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM

Sonic Boom Audio (SVS dealer) has reduced their prices
post #4 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just be aware that if you get a product shipped from the US using UPS Standard, you will probably have to pay rather hefty UPS brokerage fees as well.

I would go with the SVS because getting parts and warranty service is easier, but otherwise the eD subs are promising in terms of performance for the price.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #5 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Just be aware that if you get a product shipped from the US using UPS Standard, you will probably have to pay rather hefty UPS brokerage fees as well.

I would go with the SVS because getting parts and warranty service is easier, but otherwise the eD subs are promising in terms of performance for the price.

I had the similar concerns especially with Hsu now being so risky (only available from the USA) rather than when they used to have local support. Go with the local canadian support from SVS and its easier to sleep without the concern about the lack of local service and support.

John
post #6 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the ED is the best value by far if shipping is indeed included
post #7 of 17 Old 11-10-2007, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
How 'bout this for a curveball - have you looked at Epik? The look better then the eD subs, and their pricing is right there too. Though shipping is another matter.

Oh - and Jack - what r u talking about? I just checked SonicBoom today and they still want $1700 cdn for the PB-13. Whereas in the US it is $1500 (or about $1430 or so Canadian).

Now, I realize that Sonic boom has to import them here, and shipping locally is also a huge saving, but they were this price in late August too. Was there another sub line in SVS that went down?

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #8 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there even options for Canadians to buy the Epik subs? Has anybody ever gotten one shipped to Canada?

Shipping subs as heavy as this can't be cheap. I had some bookshelf speakers shipped here and the cost was very high ($80), I can't imagine a sub that weighs twice as much. That quickly kills the savings.

I wish Sonicboom would pass on more of the savings to us. I'm jealous of the $799 PBPlus. There should be no reason we have to pay $1200 on one.

post #9 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 AM

600 U.S. dollars = 560.159758 Canadian dollars

at that rate the eD is BY FAR the best choice.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post

600 U.S. dollars = 560.159758 Canadian dollars

at that rate the eD is BY FAR the best choice.

That depends entirely on shipping. Asthetics is another issue too. Although a nice quilt or something could spruce it up. Do the offer to send it unfinished? I'd like to do it myself if they did.

post #11 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are there even options for Canadians to buy the Epik subs? Has anybody ever gotten one shipped to Canada?

Shipping subs as heavy as this can't be cheap. I had some bookshelf speakers shipped here and the cost was very high ($80), I can't imagine a sub that weighs twice as much. That quickly kills the savings.

I wish Sonicboom would pass on more of the savings to us. I'm jealous of the $799 PBPlus. There should be no reason we have to pay $1200 on one.

I'm between a Tower and a Hsu 3.3 / MBM right now. If I go with the Tower (sent an email to Epik for a quote/estimate on shipping) I'll let you know.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM

My ED A5-350 was $740 taxes, shipping, and duty in. 3 day fed-ex shipped. The dollar was at parity then so you should do better. They were very helpful on the phone and live chat.

I talked with SVS a lot and was impressed. I think the ED is a better deal, but I'd certainly not excluded SVS from your options. They make a great product and are easy to deal with.

The other good Canadian option is Axiom. They are based out of Ontario and make a great product. I have a set of mains from them and am very please with the product. They also had great customer service. I was close to buying the EP500, but it was a little out of my price range.

I'd stay away from HSU. Their Canadian support is non-existant and trying to just buy one was a trying experience for me. They make a great product and I would recomment them if you were in the US.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veris View Post

My ED A5-350 was $740 taxes, shipping, and duty in. 3 day fed-ex shipped.

Did your order through the website or call to place the order? Do they add quote you extra shipping for Canada depending on the weight?

post #14 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 297
krunch are you from winnipeg? if so I had a quote of around $400 shipping for the A7-900 but they said they might be able to do better with a different shipper cause they had to ship it freight (not including boarder fees if there are any in that case).
I was also looking into the epik conquest but have yet to hear back.
The dollar is so strong but yet we still get it in the a$$ from almost everything! It would be nice if they adjusted some prices for crap, we are getting HOSED!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #15 of 17 Old 11-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Did your order through the website or call to place the order? Do they add quote you extra shipping for Canada depending on the weight?

I was on a live chat with Alex. He then called me and I completed the order via phone. It was $90 extra shipping, but that includes the duty and brokerage. So $690 US plus GST. With exchange it was ~740 CND.

I believe I was the first person in Canada to receive the A5, so they may have changed the process slightly. If you are interested use the live chat, e-mail, or call them.

The only thing "bad" about ED is the 2-3 week wait. I took 12 months deciding which SUB to upgrade to, so a wait of a few weeks didn't dissuade me. If you need instant gratification I'd suggest the SVS or Axiom. They'll likely have the sub to you a week or two sooner then ED.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-12-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by veris View Post

I believe I was the first person in Canada to receive the A5, so they may have changed the process slightly. If you are interested use the live chat, e-mail, or call them.

Nope, exactly the same.

I'd have it online but the FedEx shipping module doesn't play too night right now with the US.

Or even everything sent to Canada.

Chris Schempp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN - Mandos_eD
post #17 of 17 Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 PM

do u know a friend who lives in the US, and can drive up to visit you?

i.e. seattle/vancouver
that's easiest.

edit: or order it and deliver it to seattle.. have the friend drive it up to Vancouver, and ship it ground to you in whatever city u're in.
(same for say.. detroit/toronto)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page