how to troubleshoot Sony sa-wx700? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a one year and 10 week old sa-wx700 that has all of the sudden stopped working. It will power on and all, but it no longer produces any sound what-so-ever.

Troubleshooting I have done includes:

Hooking up another sub to my receiver (other sub works fine)
Hooking up another sub to the line out of the sa-wx700 (the other sub works fine)

Any idea what could be wrong with this sub and how to troubleshoot it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 11-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

1. Unplug subwoofer from wall socket.

2. Look for a fuse holder on the outside of the sub. If there is a fuse holder, remove fuse and examine whether it is fried (open). replace as necessary.

3. If no fuse is present or if the fuse is ok then remove the woofer and use a right or left channel speaker wire the contact briefly the terminals of the woofer with a music signal to hear if the woofer will reproduce the signal. Make sure you volume control is low when you do this test.

4. If the woofer is good, then while the woofer is out examine the interior of the power amp for an internally mounted fuse. If there is a fuse holder, remove fuse and examine whether it is fried (open). replace as necessary.

5. If there are no fuses and the woofer will reproduce a signal then the amp is bad and should be replaced.
post #3 of 60 Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

went trough first four steps..all negative..looks like amp is fried..I will try to dig my receipt out and see if the sucker is still under warranty...I hope it is...

Otherwise it would be waste to dump these perfectly good 10" woofers and enclosure..this is a push pull system and had produced pretty deep and clear bass...

It was rated at 250W RMS with digital amp...Is there a way to buy another amp and fit it in there. I will have to find a way to seal it since it is acoustically suspended enclosure?

What would do you recommend?
post #4 of 60 Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrealista View Post

I have a one year and 10 week old sa-wx700 that has all of the sudden stopped working. It will power on and all, but it no longer produces any sound what-so-ever.

You have a 1 year warranty.
If you cannot find the problem, you may want a local repair shop to give you a repair estimate. It may just be a minor problem.
Look for burnt parts on the amp, it might isolate the problem.
A photo might help someone here isolate the problem.............. FWIW.
Good luck

John K.
post #5 of 60 Old 11-26-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnPA View Post

You have a 1 year warranty.
If you cannot find the problem, you may want a local repair shop to give you a repair estimate. It may just be a minor problem.
Look for burnt parts on the amp, it might isolate the problem.
A photo might help someone here isolate the problem.............. FWIW.
Good luck

well I opened the amp and looked closely over the circuit board..nothing looked burned or out of the ordinary..I did notice barely audible very high pith(frequency) noise coming from the board...but it was very hard to pinpoint where it was coming from.

I assume one of the components on the bard might be toast, but nothing that I can visibly see..both fuses were fine...I snapped couple photos of the board but they are on home pc..I will try to load those later tonight when I get back home..

Searching the web I noticed that several other people had their die in similar fashion as mine after having them for a year or so...

Lastly if I can't figure out what is wrong with it..anyone here knows good electronics shop in DC are that will not charge me arm and leg to figure what is wrong with it?
post #6 of 60 Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:

I assume one of the components on the bard might be toast, but nothing that I can visibly see..both fuses were fine...I snapped couple photos of the board but they are on home pc..I will try to load those later tonight when I get back home..

Maybe someone will see something you missed!

Quote:

Searching the web I noticed that several other people had their die in similar fashion as mine after having them for a year or so...

Products usually have inherent problems like cheap parts, and are the first to go. Quality is sometimes hard to find!

Quote:

Lastly if I can't figure out what is wrong with it..anyone here knows good electronics shop in DC are that will not charge me arm and leg to figure what is wrong with it?

Good....... always ask for an estimate, then you can decide if its worth the effort to fix it. My 'HT' receiver died twice ( kept cutting out). After two repairs, I decided to buy a good receiver. .... FWIW
It's a good learning experience.................

John K.
post #7 of 60 Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

here are the pics..I couldn't see anything burned?
LL
LL
LL
post #8 of 60 Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Very good photos...........
1. Did you check the fuses by 'eye', or did you use an ohmmeter ?
2. Make sure all the connectors are fully seated.
* Normally a big 'cap' blows for some reason and you can see or smell it, but I don't see anything either.

Don't give up...............

John K.
post #9 of 60 Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I used multimeter and they checked out fine..nothing looked lose..they glued all of the capacitors with that white stuff..I was actually surprised how well built everything looked...

here is the pic of woofers and enclosure..if this can't be fixed I plan on getting another amp..any recommendation on push-pull amp and where I could get it?
LL
post #10 of 60 Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 AM

same problem on my 2 yr. old SA-WX700 - it stopped working two weeks ago :-(

the sub powers-up normally - I can even hear a very quiet intermittent rumble . . . like a clock ticking, only with a low frequency sound

not sure, but I think when I turned it on a couple of weeks ago, I heard a double click sound instead of the normal single click

just purchased a Sony SA-W3000 to replace it . . . the SA-WX700 is a better sub, though
post #11 of 60 Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 PM

I've had the larger SA-WX900 (12in-1000watt amp) for a few years now...no problems. Just ordered the SA-WX700. I WILL be purchasing an extended warranty plan for the WX700 woofer.

See Sony's Extended Service Plans here: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...151&langId=-1#

post #12 of 60 Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

It turned out to be blown capacitor on crossover..back in business :-) of harassing the neighbors..just kidding..I like this sub..it has a punch and accuracy due to its push pull design..
post #13 of 60 Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 AM

Good..........
How did you find it ?
Was it a visual observation, or did you measure it ?
Be aware that something else may be the 'real problem'!
John

John K.
post #14 of 60 Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM

My SA-WX700 sub went out about a month ago. The sub still powers on but there's only a low popping/scratching noise coming through the sub. I'm not very electrically inclined so I didn't want to open up the sub and mess around. Has anyone else besides nadrealista also have this problem and found a solution for a fix? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #15 of 60 Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 AM

I apologize for posting again on such an old topic, but I am having the same problem. The woofer powers on and you can hear the "click" on the amp, but no sound. I opened it up and did a visiual inspection of the fuses, capacitors and resistors and the only thing I found was a crack on the shell of on one of the capacitors near the amp. I have circled it in the attached image (an image someone else posted earlier). Could this be the cause?
Also, whoever posted that there was a bad capacitor, would it be possible for you to repost an image with that area highlighted? Thank you all so much for your help!
LL
post #16 of 60 Old 11-24-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:

It turned out to be blown capacitor on crossover..back in business :-) of harassing the neighbors..just kidding..I like this sub..it has a punch and accuracy due to its push pull design..

Hi, looks like a common issue with this sub. All the symptoms are the same, including mine. It will power up but no audio output. It does however click slightly when powering on and off.
Can you let us know which CAP you replaced. Much appreciated.

R
post #17 of 60 Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 PM

To all the people experiencing problems with this sub, did you: turn the sub on and off manually (pushing the power button in/out) every time you used it, or did you always keep the sub in standby (red LED on the front) and use it's "auto on" feature?

I'm curious because I own 3 of these subs and use the "auto on" feature which is not very sensitive. I've noticed that when watching TV at low volume levels the sub can turn on/off ten+ times over the course of an evening... so maybe it's that type of use that leads to premature failure? In any event, I think I'll start turning them on/off manually. . .
post #18 of 60 Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 PM

My sony sub wx700 has no power output, has anybody made a trip to RadioShack to purchase a replacement C860 Capacitor and a R830 resistor as I have inspected mine and found them to be burnt up. I made the trip to my local radio shack and I did not have the specs for the resistor as far as ohms and also if theirs were fusible or not. I do know that the original sony part numbers and part of the specs for the factory ones. If anybody has purchased RadioShack parts I could really use the part numbers from RadioShack.
post #19 of 60 Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 PM

This is usually what needs to be replaced on these subs.

Replace

R830
R831-4.7 ohm 5% 1/4w fusible
C860 - 082 mf 5% 50v

Direct from Sony:
hxxp://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/index.jsp

c860 is Part # 113616400 $2.14
r830 is Part # 121284900 $2.14
post #20 of 60 Old 03-07-2009, 06:52 AM

achapman, do you have a picture that indicates where these parts are? How difficult is it to replace them? Thanks!
post #21 of 60 Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 AM

MQuinn,

Those caps are located at the top of the green PCB, probably underneath the gray spongy wire wraps, within 2 inches of the large cylindrical cap and just below the black PCB

Regards,
post #22 of 60 Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Hello everybody,

First post for me but I have come here a few times for help with my SA-WX700 and discovered I have the same problem with the 860 capacitor. I looked around locally (I live in Alaska) and I found one that was .082 microferrites but was 100v with 10%. I am wondering if I can make it work with a higher resistance resistor or if it will work as is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Grethell
post #23 of 60 Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM

hey man, thats great info.... had same probs.... now fixed! thanks a bunch.
post #24 of 60 Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM

I am having the same symptoms... and I want to thank everybody who posted on this. It at least gives me something to look at! I do have one request, can someone please post a picture of the board and the cap that needs to be replaced? That would help me out tremedously.

Thank you in advance!
post #25 of 60 Old 12-03-2009, 02:41 PM

*EDIT* Pics attached! I hope this helps!! Long live our WX700's!! :-D
The reference pic shows the big picture & the detailed pic shows the actual components.

If there is anyone else having the issue I found the exact location and will post some pics in a little while. While I have done component level replacement in the past.. I haven't done it in a while and don't want to mess anything up... Does anyone know of someone in Houston, TX or surrounding areas (I live in Sugar Land) who would be kind enough to replace 2 resistors and a cap without hurting the wallet to bad? Please let me know.

thank you,

Dave
LL
LL
post #26 of 60 Old 12-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Well... my sub is FIXED!!! WOOHOO!!! Back in BOOMING business! Thanks to this forum! Many many thanks!!!

replaced the 3 components listed above and everything is sounding as good as the day I bought it!
post #27 of 60 Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 AM

the resistors marked R830 and R831 on the circuit board are the same model (Sony Part # 121284900)...correct?
post #28 of 60 Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeyyoung View Post

the resistors marked R830 and R831 on the circuit board are the same model (Sony Part # 121284900)...correct?

Yes they are exactly the same part #.. and if anyone wants to sell me their Wx700 I am looking for another one for my game room. I love this sub!
post #29 of 60 Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM

This forum was exactly what I needed. My SA-WX700 has the same problem (the R830 is fried). Thanks a lot for your help!
post #30 of 60 Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM

I know... I was so excited to find my exact issue here. Once again.. if anyone wants to sell this sub... please contact me. I am looking for one more.

Thank you!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Sony Sa Wmsp1 Magnetically Sheilded Active Subwoofer , Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page