Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #271 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Placed my order for a A5-350 yesterday. Can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Dimensions on the A5s-350?? I'm interested in potentially ordering an A7s-450 before the price increase, so I'm curious about this new option. Any help from the eD guys would be appreciated. Also, I'd love to see one of those hypothetical comparisons of the output of the A5s with the 550w amp against the A7s with both the 550w and 1350w amps. Thanks so much.
post #273 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM

Ok then how about the Valor/Knight vs the A5-350 vs the A5s-350? ED is still on my short list :P
post #274 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Yesterday I sent PM to Chris and pasted the link of thread about A5S-350. He did not respond to either of them even he posted this morning. Somehow I think he should at least say something even he can not or does not want to provide any informtation on that. Another poster had Valor and A5S-350 on his list and just placed order on Valor.
post #275 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

1stHD, Chris is probably backed up with either PMs or emails, I'm sure you will get a response in a day or two. Same thing happened to me when I PMed him, got an answer within a couple days.
post #276 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 PM

Since their prices are going up in a few days, I bet they are over whelmed until after the 1st.
post #277 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

I am thinking Valor vs. A5S-350, and A3-300 vs. A5-350. So it's sealed vs. vented and 12" vs. 15". A3-300 is good enough for me but I like the bigger one more. I have to make a decision before the year end or I will not buy a new sub for 1-2 years. There is almost no information on the A5S-350 so it's really hard to decide on that though it's the one I want most.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=960563
post #278 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 PM

with all the talk about this sub i took the plunge and ordered an A5-350 today before the price increase. I just ran across this thread and did a search and i ready great things about this sub. hopefully i will get it before my birthday in febuary.
post #279 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM

My third LT550 amp burned up and I've decided to get a refund. THey won't cover any shipping. I Paid 70 dollars to return the discontinued a5-300 and exchange for a5-350. That up went kaput and now I had to pay 114.00 and they want to charge 30.00 packaging fee even though I've kept all original packaging. I bought a SVS pbs plus/2 maple cabinet and it shipped out the next day. I hope all of you buying Ed plan on never returning them if there is a problem or you'll take it in the wallet like me. Ed is great on trying to fix the issue but I just can't do a forth amp.
post #280 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

That's pain in the ass. It costs a lot finacially and emotionally.
post #281 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus420 View Post

My third LT550 amp burned up and I've decided to get a refund. THey won't cover any shipping. I Paid 70 dollars to return the discontinued a5-300 and exchange for a5-350. That up went kaput and now I had to pay 114.00 and they want to charge 30.00 packaging fee even though I've kept all original packaging. I bought a SVS pbs plus/2 maple cabinet and it shipped out the next day. I hope all of you buying Ed plan on never returning them if there is a problem or you'll take it in the wallet like me. Ed is great on trying to fix the issue but I just can't do a forth amp.

Anyone else find it odd that someone with 6 posts, pretty much all poo pooing eD, replaces a < $600 sub with one that costs twice as much? Sorry, I'm calling Shenanigans.
post #282 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
post #283 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm paranoid, but too many people on this forum seem to have hidden connections to the companies being discussed. Whether it be drinking buddies with the owner/founder, relatives of employees, or forum members who were sent free gear from a manufacturer to "try".
post #284 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

Anyone else find it odd that someone with 6 posts, pretty much all poo pooing eD, replaces a < $600 sub with one that costs twice as much? Sorry, I'm calling Shenanigans.

It does seem a little odd. I know we have many more lurkers than participants, but there are those who join AVS and rarely post. Personally, I don't get it. Why join if your not or rarely share any input? And why respond ONLY to this particular eD sub? Because you have it?

Panasonic AE-2000, Carada BW 120"
Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690 v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 x 4
Mach 5 IXL-18 build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...sub-build.html, Soundsplinter RPL-15 in 9cuft vented x 2, Peavey Low Rider 18 in 3cuft sealed x 3 (nearfield) Integra 80.2, Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-5, 3 x EP2500
post #285 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Why did you retract?

Panasonic AE-2000, Carada BW 120"
Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690 v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 x 4
Mach 5 IXL-18 build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...sub-build.html, Soundsplinter RPL-15 in 9cuft vented x 2, Peavey Low Rider 18 in 3cuft sealed x 3 (nearfield) Integra 80.2, Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-5, 3 x EP2500
post #286 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I was recently given a warning for stirring the pot, so after looking at my post I thought it might be considered a stirrer. Sorry.
post #287 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We can not rule out the possibility that he is a legit poster who bought the eD and had suffered the difficulty. Defective happened to any products and his case does not necessarily indicate eD bad. Just consider that a rare isolated case. If it's fake it would be easy for Chris to find it out and disprove it given the current advanced bookkeeping.
post #288 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I was recently given a warning for stirring the pot, so after looking at my post I thought it might be considered a stirrer. Sorry.

Were you able to get your new eD sub working, or was it defective?

Also, does eD actually charge you the cost of shipping for defective merchandise? I seem to remember some other posts where eD had shipped replacement parts for free.
post #289 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

It does seem a little odd. I know we have many more lurkers than participants, but there are those who join AVS and rarely post. Personally, I don't get it. Why join if your not or rarely share any input? And why respond ONLY to this particular eD sub? Because you have it?

I rarely post, but read every day. I joined in order to personalize the way I can view and pose a question on the spur of the moment.

Dave
post #290 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

We can not rule out the possibility that he is a legit poster who bought the eD and had suffered the difficulty. Defective happened to any products and his case does not necessarily indicate eD bad. Just consider that a rare isolated case. If it's fake it would be easy for Chris to find it out and disprove it given the current advanced bookkeeping.

Some of the things he claimed certainly did not match up with my experience with eD customer service. Granted, I have had zero issues with my eD sub, but I find it odd that they charged him for the original shipping box that he had kept.
post #291 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I'm paranoid, but too many people on this forum seem to have hidden connections to the companies being discussed. Whether it be drinking buddies with the owner/founder, relatives of employees, or forum members who were sent free gear from a manufacturer to "try".

I thought that at first too. Still may be true. If it's true, seems odd that he's had so many amps blow. Maybe he should check the voltage coming from his 110 outlets. Maybe he has electrical problems in the home and when this big puppy draws the juice, the issues in his electrical peak.

Tony
post #292 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
It's good to keep your eyes open but it's also easy to blow stuff out of proportion, especially when you are having an issue with a product. There are the "experts" and die-hard HT guys on here, and then there are the guys like myself who enjoy good audio equipment but have other hobbies and interests as well. There are fanboys for every company, and there is also an instinct to say "product x is the best" if you own that product because you are justifying your own purchase to yourself, whether you realize it or not. Blah blah blah, I have no connections to eD whatsoever but have nothing but positive things to say about them. They have resolved any issues I've had incredibly fast and always respond to e-mails. If you get upset that a rep. from a company doesn't respond to your PM (on a third-party website no less) within a couple of hours, you're pushing it. If you have ordered a product and have an issue, call them directly or get on THEIR website and do the tech support chat. If you have some dumb questions about specs for a product that isn't even supposed to be out yet, PM them and wait the ridiculously long 1-day or whatever to get a response.
post #293 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Also, does eD actually charge you the cost of shipping for defective merchandise? I seem to remember some other posts where eD had shipped replacement parts for free.

I do believe eD should pick up the tab on shipping back defected products and have replacement parts shipped free. It's a win-win for both eD and customer. We want worry free in buying their products and don't think normal people would abuse that policy to bother 100 lb plus thing back and forth.
post #294 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You may be right. It just seems odd that he's returning the eD and buying a sub in a completely different price range. If it's legit I'd be curious to know if his new sub does fine because it sounds more like electrical problems in house.
post #295 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I do believe eD should pick up the tab on shipping back defected products and have replacement parts shipped free. It's a win-win for both eD and customer. We want worry free in buying their products and don't think normal people would abuse that policy to bother 100 lb plus thing back and forth.

Honestly, anything that a customer has had a problem with has been sent out with a return label in the box. We're completely putting our faith in the fact that a customer wouldn't try to just keep a defective item that we could get repaired or try to figure out what even happened.

Anything that has happened to any amplifier has been replaced on our dime except for the A5-300's and those were shipped back to us and we shipped A5-350's to the customers on our dime.

We were very easily able to replicate the A5-300 problem as the amp was just too powerful for the driver. With the few A5-350 amp issues that have been out there, we just haven't been able to replicate anything. We haven't charged a single customer for the blown amps, even though we've never been able to duplicate any problems.

We've had an A5-350 hooked up in our listening room since at least 4 weeks before the first one shipped out and we've beaten the crap out of it. We've replaced the amp and beat the crap out of it again. We've set an amp on the test bench doing a full power sine wave for hours with no problem other than it got a bit warm.

We've never had a single issue with an amp here, but we're still replacing any damaged amps out of pocket since there is obviously something a few people are doing that is causing them to fail and we'd really like to figure out what that thing is so that the possibility for it can be removed. As of right now, the only way we've ever killed an LT/550 was to give it a dead short.

Personally, I've only talked to one person that had to get multiple amps but that was because his A5-350 took a pretty hard knock in shipping which I think shifted the motor on the actual driver and created a short to the amp(haven't received it back yet...or if it's out there, I haven't had a chance to look at it since e-mails have been my life for the last day). Dead shorts are bad. Got him a new sub and amp and it works fine.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #296 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Honestly, anything that a customer has had a problem with has been sent out with a return label in the box. We're completely putting our faith in the fact that a customer wouldn't try to just keep a defective item that we could get repaired or try to figure out what even happened.

Anything that has happened to any amplifier has been replaced on our dime except for the A5-300's and those were shipped back to us and we shipped A5-350's to the customers on our dime.

We were very easily able to replicate the A5-300 problem as the amp was just too powerful for the driver. With the few A5-350 amp issues that have been out there, we just haven't been able to replicate anything. We haven't charged a single customer for the blown amps, even though we've never been able to duplicate any problems.

We've had an A5-350 hooked up in our listening room since at least 4 weeks before the first one shipped out and we've beaten the crap out of it. We've replaced the amp and beat the crap out of it again. We've set an amp on the test bench doing a full power sine wave for hours with no problem other than it got a bit warm.

We've never had a single issue with an amp here, but we're still replacing any damaged amps out of pocket since there is obviously something a few people are doing that is causing them to fail and we'd really like to figure out what that thing is so that the possibility for it can be removed. As of right now, the only way we've ever killed an LT/550 was to give it a dead short.

Personally, I've only talked to one person that had to get multiple amps but that was because his A5-350 took a pretty hard knock in shipping which I think shifted the motor on the actual driver and created a short to the amp(haven't received it back yet...or if it's out there, I haven't had a chance to look at it since e-mails have been my life for the last day). Dead shorts are bad. Got him a new sub and amp and it works fine.

Thanks for posting Chris. I should be getting my A5 in a few weeks, and even though I take most posts on here with a grain of salt I'm sure others who might be wary of buying ID stuff sight unseen (or is it sound unheard?) feel better when you post.
post #297 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I bought an entire car system from here before I worked here...spending $2k on something you've never heard is scary and I know it.

Figured I should post this up since I was alluding to it in the last post...that guy with the multiple amps, yeah, his 16Ov.2 is definitely shifted. Normal speakers don't go bzizeysxhzlnkssefsss on a test bench free air.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #298 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Chris and we have peace of mind in placing order on eDs.
post #299 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

All I have to say is eD has top notch customer support!
post #300 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I have to say is eD has top notch customer support!

+Infinity

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Elemental Designs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page