Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Newbie
 
BagdHoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Placed my order for a A5-350 yesterday. Can't wait.
BagdHoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Pezlion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dimensions on the A5s-350?? I'm interested in potentially ordering an A7s-450 before the price increase, so I'm curious about this new option. Any help from the eD guys would be appreciated. Also, I'd love to see one of those hypothetical comparisons of the output of the A5s with the 550w amp against the A7s with both the 550w and 1350w amps. Thanks so much.
Pezlion is offline  
post #273 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Member
 
nombrecinq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok then how about the Valor/Knight vs the A5-350 vs the A5s-350? ED is still on my short list :P
nombrecinq is offline  
post #274 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
1stHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday I sent PM to Chris and pasted the link of thread about A5S-350. He did not respond to either of them even he posted this morning. Somehow I think he should at least say something even he can not or does not want to provide any informtation on that. Another poster had Valor and A5S-350 on his list and just placed order on Valor.
1stHD is offline  
post #275 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
mather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1stHD, Chris is probably backed up with either PMs or emails, I'm sure you will get a response in a day or two. Same thing happened to me when I PMed him, got an answer within a couple days.
mather is offline  
post #276 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Member
 
Danke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since their prices are going up in a few days, I bet they are over whelmed until after the 1st.
Danke is offline  
post #277 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
1stHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking Valor vs. A5S-350, and A3-300 vs. A5-350. So it's sealed vs. vented and 12" vs. 15". A3-300 is good enough for me but I like the bigger one more. I have to make a decision before the year end or I will not buy a new sub for 1-2 years. There is almost no information on the A5S-350 so it's really hard to decide on that though it's the one I want most.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=960563
1stHD is offline  
post #278 of 15557 Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Member
 
dawgtuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
with all the talk about this sub i took the plunge and ordered an A5-350 today before the price increase. I just ran across this thread and did a search and i ready great things about this sub. hopefully i will get it before my birthday in febuary.
dawgtuff is offline  
post #279 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Newbie
 
markus420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My third LT550 amp burned up and I've decided to get a refund. THey won't cover any shipping. I Paid 70 dollars to return the discontinued a5-300 and exchange for a5-350. That up went kaput and now I had to pay 114.00 and they want to charge 30.00 packaging fee even though I've kept all original packaging. I bought a SVS pbs plus/2 maple cabinet and it shipped out the next day. I hope all of you buying Ed plan on never returning them if there is a problem or you'll take it in the wallet like me. Ed is great on trying to fix the issue but I just can't do a forth amp.
markus420 is offline  
post #280 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
1stHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's pain in the ass. It costs a lot finacially and emotionally.
1stHD is offline  
post #281 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
iceperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus420 View Post

My third LT550 amp burned up and I've decided to get a refund. THey won't cover any shipping. I Paid 70 dollars to return the discontinued a5-300 and exchange for a5-350. That up went kaput and now I had to pay 114.00 and they want to charge 30.00 packaging fee even though I've kept all original packaging. I bought a SVS pbs plus/2 maple cabinet and it shipped out the next day. I hope all of you buying Ed plan on never returning them if there is a problem or you'll take it in the wallet like me. Ed is great on trying to fix the issue but I just can't do a forth amp.

Anyone else find it odd that someone with 6 posts, pretty much all poo pooing eD, replaces a < $600 sub with one that costs twice as much? Sorry, I'm calling Shenanigans.
iceperson is offline  
post #282 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
E-A-G-L-E-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline  
post #283 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
iceperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe I'm paranoid, but too many people on this forum seem to have hidden connections to the companies being discussed. Whether it be drinking buddies with the owner/founder, relatives of employees, or forum members who were sent free gear from a manufacturer to "try".
iceperson is offline  
post #284 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vitod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

Anyone else find it odd that someone with 6 posts, pretty much all poo pooing eD, replaces a < $600 sub with one that costs twice as much? Sorry, I'm calling Shenanigans.

It does seem a little odd. I know we have many more lurkers than participants, but there are those who join AVS and rarely post. Personally, I don't get it. Why join if your not or rarely share any input? And why respond ONLY to this particular eD sub? Because you have it?

Panasonic AE-2000, Carada BW 120"
Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690 v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 x 4
Mach 5 IXL-18 build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...sub-build.html, Soundsplinter RPL-15 in 9cuft vented x 2, Peavey Low Rider 18 in 3cuft sealed x 3 (nearfield) Integra 80.2, Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-5, 3 x EP2500
vitod is offline  
post #285 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vitod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

.

Why did you retract?

Panasonic AE-2000, Carada BW 120"
Paradigm Studio 40v3 x 2, Paradigm 690 v4, Paradigm ADP 470v3 x 4
Mach 5 IXL-18 build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...sub-build.html, Soundsplinter RPL-15 in 9cuft vented x 2, Peavey Low Rider 18 in 3cuft sealed x 3 (nearfield) Integra 80.2, Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-5, 3 x EP2500
vitod is offline  
post #286 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
E-A-G-L-E-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was recently given a warning for stirring the pot, so after looking at my post I thought it might be considered a stirrer. Sorry.
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline  
post #287 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
1stHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

Anyone else find it odd that someone with 6 posts, pretty much all poo pooing eD, replaces a < $600 sub with one that costs twice as much? Sorry, I'm calling Shenanigans.

We can not rule out the possibility that he is a legit poster who bought the eD and had suffered the difficulty. Defective happened to any products and his case does not necessarily indicate eD bad. Just consider that a rare isolated case. If it's fake it would be easy for Chris to find it out and disprove it given the current advanced bookkeeping.
1stHD is offline  
post #288 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

I was recently given a warning for stirring the pot, so after looking at my post I thought it might be considered a stirrer. Sorry.

Were you able to get your new eD sub working, or was it defective?

Also, does eD actually charge you the cost of shipping for defective merchandise? I seem to remember some other posts where eD had shipped replacement parts for free.
ack_bk is offline  
post #289 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

It does seem a little odd. I know we have many more lurkers than participants, but there are those who join AVS and rarely post. Personally, I don't get it. Why join if your not or rarely share any input? And why respond ONLY to this particular eD sub? Because you have it?

I rarely post, but read every day. I joined in order to personalize the way I can view and pose a question on the spur of the moment.

Dave
Super Dave is offline  
post #290 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

We can not rule out the possibility that he is a legit poster who bought the eD and had suffered the difficulty. Defective happened to any products and his case does not necessarily indicate eD bad. Just consider that a rare isolated case. If it's fake it would be easy for Chris to find it out and disprove it given the current advanced bookkeeping.

Some of the things he claimed certainly did not match up with my experience with eD customer service. Granted, I have had zero issues with my eD sub, but I find it odd that they charged him for the original shipping box that he had kept.
ack_bk is offline  
post #291 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

Maybe I'm paranoid, but too many people on this forum seem to have hidden connections to the companies being discussed. Whether it be drinking buddies with the owner/founder, relatives of employees, or forum members who were sent free gear from a manufacturer to "try".

I thought that at first too. Still may be true. If it's true, seems odd that he's had so many amps blow. Maybe he should check the voltage coming from his 110 outlets. Maybe he has electrical problems in the home and when this big puppy draws the juice, the issues in his electrical peak.

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
post #292 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dradius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's good to keep your eyes open but it's also easy to blow stuff out of proportion, especially when you are having an issue with a product. There are the "experts" and die-hard HT guys on here, and then there are the guys like myself who enjoy good audio equipment but have other hobbies and interests as well. There are fanboys for every company, and there is also an instinct to say "product x is the best" if you own that product because you are justifying your own purchase to yourself, whether you realize it or not. Blah blah blah, I have no connections to eD whatsoever but have nothing but positive things to say about them. They have resolved any issues I've had incredibly fast and always respond to e-mails. If you get upset that a rep. from a company doesn't respond to your PM (on a third-party website no less) within a couple of hours, you're pushing it. If you have ordered a product and have an issue, call them directly or get on THEIR website and do the tech support chat. If you have some dumb questions about specs for a product that isn't even supposed to be out yet, PM them and wait the ridiculously long 1-day or whatever to get a response.
Dradius is offline  
post #293 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
1stHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Also, does eD actually charge you the cost of shipping for defective merchandise? I seem to remember some other posts where eD had shipped replacement parts for free.

I do believe eD should pick up the tab on shipping back defected products and have replacement parts shipped free. It's a win-win for both eD and customer. We want worry free in buying their products and don't think normal people would abuse that policy to bother 100 lb plus thing back and forth.
1stHD is offline  
post #294 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
iceperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

We can not rule out the possibility that he is a legit poster who bought the eD and had suffered the difficulty. Defective happened to any products and his case does not necessarily indicate eD bad. Just consider that a rare isolated case. If it's fake it would be easy for Chris to find it out and disprove it given the current advanced bookkeeping.

You may be right. It just seems odd that he's returning the eD and buying a sub in a completely different price range. If it's legit I'd be curious to know if his new sub does fine because it sounds more like electrical problems in house.
iceperson is offline  
post #295 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Schempp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

I do believe eD should pick up the tab on shipping back defected products and have replacement parts shipped free. It's a win-win for both eD and customer. We want worry free in buying their products and don't think normal people would abuse that policy to bother 100 lb plus thing back and forth.

Honestly, anything that a customer has had a problem with has been sent out with a return label in the box. We're completely putting our faith in the fact that a customer wouldn't try to just keep a defective item that we could get repaired or try to figure out what even happened.

Anything that has happened to any amplifier has been replaced on our dime except for the A5-300's and those were shipped back to us and we shipped A5-350's to the customers on our dime.

We were very easily able to replicate the A5-300 problem as the amp was just too powerful for the driver. With the few A5-350 amp issues that have been out there, we just haven't been able to replicate anything. We haven't charged a single customer for the blown amps, even though we've never been able to duplicate any problems.

We've had an A5-350 hooked up in our listening room since at least 4 weeks before the first one shipped out and we've beaten the crap out of it. We've replaced the amp and beat the crap out of it again. We've set an amp on the test bench doing a full power sine wave for hours with no problem other than it got a bit warm.

We've never had a single issue with an amp here, but we're still replacing any damaged amps out of pocket since there is obviously something a few people are doing that is causing them to fail and we'd really like to figure out what that thing is so that the possibility for it can be removed. As of right now, the only way we've ever killed an LT/550 was to give it a dead short.

Personally, I've only talked to one person that had to get multiple amps but that was because his A5-350 took a pretty hard knock in shipping which I think shifted the motor on the actual driver and created a short to the amp(haven't received it back yet...or if it's out there, I haven't had a chance to look at it since e-mails have been my life for the last day). Dead shorts are bad. Got him a new sub and amp and it works fine.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Chris Schempp is offline  
post #296 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
iceperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,432
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Honestly, anything that a customer has had a problem with has been sent out with a return label in the box. We're completely putting our faith in the fact that a customer wouldn't try to just keep a defective item that we could get repaired or try to figure out what even happened.

Anything that has happened to any amplifier has been replaced on our dime except for the A5-300's and those were shipped back to us and we shipped A5-350's to the customers on our dime.

We were very easily able to replicate the A5-300 problem as the amp was just too powerful for the driver. With the few A5-350 amp issues that have been out there, we just haven't been able to replicate anything. We haven't charged a single customer for the blown amps, even though we've never been able to duplicate any problems.

We've had an A5-350 hooked up in our listening room since at least 4 weeks before the first one shipped out and we've beaten the crap out of it. We've replaced the amp and beat the crap out of it again. We've set an amp on the test bench doing a full power sine wave for hours with no problem other than it got a bit warm.

We've never had a single issue with an amp here, but we're still replacing any damaged amps out of pocket since there is obviously something a few people are doing that is causing them to fail and we'd really like to figure out what that thing is so that the possibility for it can be removed. As of right now, the only way we've ever killed an LT/550 was to give it a dead short.

Personally, I've only talked to one person that had to get multiple amps but that was because his A5-350 took a pretty hard knock in shipping which I think shifted the motor on the actual driver and created a short to the amp(haven't received it back yet...or if it's out there, I haven't had a chance to look at it since e-mails have been my life for the last day). Dead shorts are bad. Got him a new sub and amp and it works fine.

Thanks for posting Chris. I should be getting my A5 in a few weeks, and even though I take most posts on here with a grain of salt I'm sure others who might be wary of buying ID stuff sight unseen (or is it sound unheard?) feel better when you post.
iceperson is offline  
post #297 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Schempp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I bought an entire car system from here before I worked here...spending $2k on something you've never heard is scary and I know it.

Figured I should post this up since I was alluding to it in the last post...that guy with the multiple amps, yeah, his 16Ov.2 is definitely shifted. Normal speakers don't go bzizeysxhzlnkssefsss on a test bench free air.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Chris Schempp is offline  
post #298 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
1stHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Chris and we have peace of mind in placing order on eDs.
1stHD is offline  
post #299 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
E-A-G-L-E-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All I have to say is eD has top notch customer support!
E-A-G-L-E-S is offline  
post #300 of 15557 Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tonybradley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 3,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

All I have to say is eD has top notch customer support!

+Infinity

Tony
tonybradley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Elemental Designs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off