post #361 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus420 View Post

I got charged only to ship the amps back. Sent back a5-300, 70.00. Shipped out a5-350-114.00, getting charged 30.00 for packaging. That's over 200.00. Ed Always shipped back amps and subs for free. I've always said they're great and tried to fix things. They wanted to send me another amp. I'm telling you I've checked everything, Never turned the subs past 50%, Checked voltage from wall, Have on surge protection, Canged recievers and cables. I have another sub on same outlet and no problems. Last amp went out in auto standby mode. I'm stupped and didn't want a fourth amp to go out and decided a refund was best. Like I wanted to ship this back, I loved it when it worked and am not bashing Ed I'm just hurt that in no fault of mine I've had to spend over 200.00 to ship faulty product back. Take it for what it's worth guys.

The reason we are having a tough time believing this is what Chris stated on the forum. These guys are great to work with, and they even take time out of their busy schedule to post on this thread, and even commented about NOT charging people shipping costs for blown amps, etc. Maybe what you should do, if this REALLY did happen to you, is to contact Chris from eD and let him know. If it REALLY happened, it was possibly a mistake on eD's side and they should do what they can to rectify the situation. You've read all the posts, and I hope you've read what Chris stated. If a company charged me for all the shipping, then posted on a forum and said that is not their Business Policy, I'd be getting on the phone and calling them up right away. Again, this is why your story is difficult to believe.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I read on the A2-300 specs that it's 2.45 cu.ft. internal. On the specs for the 13kv.2 driver it says:

Sealed ( small ) 0.7cF
Sealed ( ideal ) 1.0cF
Sealed ( large ) 1.2cF
Vented ( ideal ) 1.5cF Tuned to 30Hz
Vented ( DDLoud) 1.8cF Tuned to 35Hz

Why would they make the sub so "large" if "ideal" is 1.5 cf? Just curious why their driver specs. seem to recommend much smaller "ideal" designs. I'm considering making my own from a 13Kv.2, but since the finished subs are so well rated, not sure if I want to risk it.
post #363 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

What? When did you order? I ordered mine on 12/5 and it's still "Awaiting Woodshop". Don't get your hopes up, if you just ordered, you'll be waiting a while.

The email must be standard boilerplate in their autoresponder. I had sent eD an email asking current leadtime, Chris replied that all HT subs are currently at 6-8 week delivery. The prices are great, and the reviews are good, but I just can't wait that long. I guess it's somthing else for now, I wonder if they'll ever be able to catch up on a backlog that big....

Follow Me On Twitter: ThatGeekGuy
Tech News, Great Buys, Reviews & More....
post #364 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post

I read on the A2-300 specs that it's 2.45 cu.ft. internal. On the specs for the 13kv.2 driver it says:

Sealed ( small ) 0.7cF
Sealed ( ideal ) 1.0cF
Sealed ( large ) 1.2cF
Vented ( ideal ) 1.5cF Tuned to 30Hz
Vented ( DDLoud) 1.8cF Tuned to 35Hz

Why would they make the sub so "large" if "ideal" is 1.5 cf? Just curious why their driver specs. seem to recommend much smaller "ideal" designs. I'm considering making my own from a 13Kv.2, but since the finished subs are so well rated, not sure if I want to risk it.

The recommended enclosures listed are probably for cars. Also, note that the tuning is to 30hz. Nobody who's serious about HT is going to want a sub tuned to 30hz. To get the tuning lower, a much larger enclosure is needed.
post #365 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Yeah, all car suggestions on the site.

And yeah, that confirmation page needs some updating.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #366 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcM1956 View Post

The email must be standard boilerplate in their autoresponder. I had sent eD an email asking current leadtime, Chris replied that all HT subs are currently at 6-8 week delivery. The prices are great, and the reviews are good, but I just can't wait that long. I guess it's somthing else for now, I wonder if they'll ever be able to catch up on a backlog that big....

I thought the same, but by the time I decided definitively on which sub to buy that time had basically elapsed. Ended up going with an a5-350.
post #367 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcM1956 View Post

I should get mine sometime this month. I'd like to have one now, but after reading the reviews, I don't mind to wait for this sub.

Tony
post #368 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

the lead time is the only thing holding me back right now. it's between this and the HSU VTF3 MK3.

"Why am I Mr. Pink?"
post #369 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember TheEar commenting on subs. What the hell happened to him?

Evil is Good
post #370 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffer View Post

the lead time is the only thing holding me back right now. it's between this and the HSU VTF3 MK3.

its well worth the wait
post #371 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 04:56 PM

I couldn't take it, I pulled the trigger.
x A3 - 300 Subwoofer (A3-300) = $480.00
Driver 13Ov.2
Foot Style Spike
Advertisements:
Overview Tab HTML: Model
Name : A3-300 Powered Home Audio Subwoofer
Amplifier Power : 350w RMS
Subwoofer Driver Size : eD 12" Subwoofer - Kv.2 Platform
Cabinet Type : Vented / Downfire
Room Tuning : 20Hz FR - (18-100Hz +/-3dB)
In Room Avg SPL : 116.66 dB (10-100Hz Max Output Avg)
Shipping Weight : 86lbs

My room is 19' x 15' x 24'
I've been lurking all weekend and today, after numerous drinks I went ahead and did it. I asked the wife, "Do you care what the sub looks like?", answer "No", so I did it.
I hate that I might not see it for 6 weeks though, I ordered the Onkyo 705 this weekend also, but she doesn't know about it yet......I need to get her liquored up for the new year......thanks for all the great info!!!
post #372 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post

I couldn't take it, I pulled the trigger.
x A3 - 300 Subwoofer (A3-300) = $480.00
Driver 13Ov.2
Foot Style Spike
Advertisements:
Overview Tab HTML: Model
Name : A3-300 Powered Home Audio Subwoofer
Amplifier Power : 350w RMS
Subwoofer Driver Size : eD 12" Subwoofer - Kv.2 Platform
Cabinet Type : Vented / Downfire
Room Tuning : 20Hz FR - (18-100Hz +/-3dB)
In Room Avg SPL : 116.66 dB (10-100Hz Max Output Avg)
Shipping Weight : 86lbs

My room is 19' x 15' x 24'
I've been lurking all weekend and today, after numerous drinks I went ahead and did it. I asked the wife, "Do you care what the sub looks like?", answer "No", so I did it.
I hate that I might not see it for 6 weeks though, I ordered the Onkyo 705 this weekend also, but she doesn't know about it yet......I need to get her liquored up for the new year......thanks for all the great info!!!

Me too! I finally ordered the A3-300, an A6-6T6 for my center, and a pair of A3-5TCs for surround (essentially free with the pkg discount). I cannot wait (but I will, patiently)! and BTW, my wife surprised me by agreeing to the purchase of a new sub (even if it will be the first real sub). She analyzed the situation and said, "Go for it!" I am in heaven.
And as has been posted previously, talking with Chris is extremely easy and informative. I almost wish I lived close by to be able to drop by to sample their various speaker demos... almost! I still think living on the West Coast far outweighs any auditioning I might do...

oh, and return the 705 and get the 805!!!!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #373 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 08:10 PM

Well eD is helping to right a fed-ex wrong. My A7S-450 was the first fully copmleted production unit (same box as MJG's, just with the standard feet / grill / finish assembly). Well, either Fed-ex destroyed it and were too shy to say that, or someone within their holiday contractors stole it as it disappeared from Sacramento on 12/20. Spoke with Chris this morning to figure out what we were going to do (after having chatted w/ him late last week on how it was even possible to lose a 140lb subwoofer...) and they have already rebuilt my unit and it will go through paint and ship early next week (would be this week but the paint guy is apparently quite sick today).

So, I should have my A7S by the 10th or so, only 2.5 weeks after the original was to arrive. That's pretty impressive in my book given a rather annoying situation for me.

Just another customer service point in their favor.

michael
post #374 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 09:19 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTS View Post

Well eD is helping to right a fed-ex wrong. My A7S-450 was the first fully copmleted production unit (same box as MJG's, just with the standard feet / grill / finish assembly). Well, either Fed-ex destroyed it and were too shy to say that, or someone within their holiday contractors stole it as it disappeared from Sacramento on 12/20. Spoke with Chris this morning to figure out what we were going to do (after having chatted w/ him late last week on how it was even possible to lose a 140lb subwoofer...) and they have already rebuilt my unit and it will go through paint and ship early next week (would be this week but the paint guy is apparently quite sick today).

So, I should have my A7S by the 10th or so, only 2.5 weeks after the original was to arrive. That's pretty impressive in my book given a rather annoying situation for me.

Just another customer service point in their favor.

michael

Chris said my grill should have gone out the door to me today or Wed. by the latest, so you might not get the first complete A7S-450. Unless you count the feet.
post #375 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 09:28 PM

my pair are "box under construction".
at this point, shouldn't be much longer i suspect.
post #376 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 PM

I ordered my A5-350 a while ago, and it was delivered well in advance of Christmas. The Fed-Ex guy was even nice enough to bring it inside for my wife (since I was at work). So there I was, stuck at work until 8:am the next day, just thinking about how great it was going to be when I got home. Then life got in the way, and I didn't have a chance to break it out.

Which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but I had to start a 120 hour set of shifts the next morning. So that was *5* more days of thinking about the giant box sitting in my entry. That made it a week. When I finally got off, the list of things to do to prep for Christmas was huge (having been gone for 5 straight days). But that night, a buddy came over, and we managed to move the sub into the theater room (by using my son's skateboard as a furniture dolly). Hooked it up, gave it a "close enough" calibration with the SPL, and watched M&C first battle. The 45 seconds before the wife came in and yelled at me for rattling the dishes in the kitchen (not exactly close to the theater) was *amazing*

With the room sealed, every time the cannons went off we could feel our pants brushing our ankles. So, we turned it down and queued up the desert battle from Transformers. Made it to the airstrike before both wives came in and yelled about waking up the kids (and this through insulated double drywall). It was a heartbreaker, but we turned everything off. Just a taste.

Since then, I had to work Christmas day, and we left for family Christmas as soon as I got home on the 26th. Now, I'm back at work for another 120 hour shift (this one over New Years, so no sleep tonight). So it'll be Friday at the earliest before I get enjoy my new purchase.

In the meantime, my wife has had two different girl's movie nights while I've been stuck at work. She reports that the new sub sounds great, although how great can it really be when you're watching stuff like "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Notting Hill?"

This is turning out to be a really long post.... but here I sit, with 550W of goodness waiting for me, stuck with built-in TV speakers and a boss who is addicted to "The Western Channel." Haunted by a textured black box.

All I can say is the first thing I'm going to do when I get home on Friday is lock myself in the theater for at least an hour with a huge bowl of popcorn and a giant coffee. I'm going to savor every moment, made all the sweeter for the longing. Now the only question is... "what to watch first?"

JRM
post #377 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

As I have posted I ordered A5-350.

However, I don't know which parts of the subs made by eD are their proprietary parts or if they have their proprietary technologies in each sub. So what make them successful so far? Do they just order some parts and assmbly some subs based on their expertise?
post #378 of 15458 Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 PM

Lol, I have your grill and they have my box (or rather, some doofus who works for fedex I'd guess - or rather worked for them filling in to assist w/ the holidays)

It's just painful being subless for the last 2 months. And w/ a new PS3 to play with also :/

michael
post #379 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmdive View Post

I ordered my A5-350 a while ago, and it was delivered well in advance of Christmas. The Fed-Ex guy was even nice enough to bring it inside for my wife (since I was at work). So there I was, stuck at work until 8:am the next day, just thinking about how great it was going to be when I got home. Then life got in the way, and I didn't have a chance to break it out.

Which normally wouldn't be a big deal, but I had to start a 120 hour set of shifts the next morning. So that was *5* more days of thinking about the giant box sitting in my entry. That made it a week. When I finally got off, the list of things to do to prep for Christmas was huge (having been gone for 5 straight days). But that night, a buddy came over, and we managed to move the sub into the theater room (by using my son's skateboard as a furniture dolly). Hooked it up, gave it a "close enough" calibration with the SPL, and watched M&C first battle. The 45 seconds before the wife came in and yelled at me for rattling the dishes in the kitchen (not exactly close to the theater) was *amazing*

With the room sealed, every time the cannons went off we could feel our pants brushing our ankles. So, we turned it down and queued up the desert battle from Transformers. Made it to the airstrike before both wives came in and yelled about waking up the kids (and this through insulated double drywall). It was a heartbreaker, but we turned everything off. Just a taste.

Since then, I had to work Christmas day, and we left for family Christmas as soon as I got home on the 26th. Now, I'm back at work for another 120 hour shift (this one over New Years, so no sleep tonight). So it'll be Friday at the earliest before I get enjoy my new purchase.

In the meantime, my wife has had two different girl's movie nights while I've been stuck at work. She reports that the new sub sounds great, although how great can it really be when you're watching stuff like "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Notting Hill?"

This is turning out to be a really long post.... but here I sit, with 550W of goodness waiting for me, stuck with built-in TV speakers and a boss who is addicted to "The Western Channel." Haunted by a textured black box.

All I can say is the first thing I'm going to do when I get home on Friday is lock myself in the theater for at least an hour with a huge bowl of popcorn and a giant coffee. I'm going to savor every moment, made all the sweeter for the longing. Now the only question is... "what to watch first?"

Classic post. I put in the Blu-Ray version POTCMC (gotta love lossless audio tracks) and watched several scenes with my eD sub cranked on Christmas day and my wife said the whole house was shaking

It was awesome. I cannot wait to watch Transformers again. With my old sub, I was definitely missing out.

Hopefully Friday will come fast for you
post #380 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Another pulled the trigger post decided to order the A7s-450 w/1300w amp yesterday before the price increase. I started looking around for advice on another sub after the amp on my old Def Tec PF15 TL blew after 10 years. Well, it was fairly cheap to get the PF15 fixed but I got hit with the upgrade bug as well. 10 years ago this sub may have been a good bargain but who am I kidding now - I'm no expert but in my sealed 15x29x8 HT room, the PF15starts to roll off pretty quickly around 30 Hz (others have mentioned the same type of performance). I thank CraigSub's valuable testing and the rest of the folks on this forum for all their candid opinions in helping me make my decision. I don't mind the long wait I will have for eD to ship - I've lived with my PF15 for this long, 6+ weeks is a drop in the bucket. I just hope this sub will measure up to its potential...

jidelite
post #381 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

a few questions for the ED guys (sorry if I missed already posted answers)

Is the a7s-450 with 1300w amp significantly better sounding over the a5-350 for music?

At which points in the frequency range does the a7s-450 win/lose spl compared to the a5-350?

How much is shipping to Toronto and which shipping service do you use?
post #382 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

a few questions for the ED guys (sorry if I missed already posted answers)

Is the a7s-450 with 1300w amp significantly better sounding over the a5-350 for music?

At which points in the frequency range does the a7s-450 win/lose spl compared to the a5-350?

How much is shipping to Toronto and which shipping service do you use?

A7S-450 has the potential to always be louder than an A5-350 over all frequencies.

As for specific questions like shipping etc, we won't post things like that on AVS.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #383 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

but is it better for music or not?
post #384 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

thanks pm sent
post #385 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This graph helped me to decide on the A7S-450 and an eQ.2. I'm sure it's probably more than I need, but still less than I want =)

post #386 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

nice numbers on the sealed unit, where's the graph from? Is that a simulated or real response?
post #387 of 15458 Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nice numbers on the sealed unit, where's the graph from? Is that a simulated or real response?

They're simulations.

Here's where I grabbed the graph.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12482389
post #388 of 15458 Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflap View Post

my pair are "box under construction".
at this point, shouldn't be much longer i suspect.

ahh, now i'm at the "in paintroom" stage. shouldn't be much longer...
post #389 of 15458 Old 01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflap View Post

ahh, now i'm at the "in paintroom" stage. shouldn't be much longer...

I placed my order on 12/1 and I'm still "awaiting woodshop". I made a change to my order (A5 to A7S), but they said I wouldn't lose my place in line (looks like that's not the case though )
post #390 of 15458 Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered my A5-350 on 12/5. Chris told me today they expect it to be here in about 3 more weeks.

Tony
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Elemental Designs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page