Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 15473 Old 01-08-2008, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to throw in a couple of other words: if you make a decision based on knowledge that you are going to eat the shipping cost, you MADE the decision. To come back months later and publically complain that it wasn't fair, you should have been treated differently, etc just is not right. It's like the guy that takes a job that doesn't pay well and then steals from the company, justifying his behavior because he is underpaid. He knew up front what they were paying him. Unless I misunderstand your story, you accepted the cost of returning your sub.

Further: I would be willing to bet that you have not had recent discussions w/ eD prior to beginning the public tirade. They have absolutely MARVELOUS customer service. I have told Ben that they could open a sideline business teaching other businesses how to handle customer service.

Out a few bucks? I'm sorry, but that pales to what many of us have dealt with through other "deals" in life. As I am now officially an old fart at 50, I can tell you that things happen in life. eD does as well as anyone I've seen in trying to make it right. Honda buying you a new A/C at 80k miles??? Count me as TOTALLY shocked. That is NOT a normal behavior. I have had a battle w/ a vendor over a $10k engine that wasn't built and delivered in a timely fashion, parts missing, etc...CC company and secondary supplier involved...MAJOR hassle. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Finally: the amp is the least critical part of this thing. It is an easily swapped out piece of electronics. Unlike a poorly built box or a driver that is defective, it is pretty easy to get a new one in and out. eD ships fast, and it is only their explosive growth that has slowed things down as much as it has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 15473 Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBDOC View Post

Just to throw in a couple of other words: if you make a decision based on knowledge that you are going to eat the shipping cost, you MADE the decision. To come back months later and publically complain that it wasn't fair, you should have been treated differently, etc just is not right. It's like the guy that takes a job that doesn't pay well and then steals from the company, justifying his behavior because he is underpaid. He knew up front what they were paying him. Unless I misunderstand your story, you accepted the cost of returning your sub.

Further: I would be willing to bet that you have not had recent discussions w/ eD prior to beginning the public tirade. They have absolutely MARVELOUS customer service. I have told Ben that they could open a sideline business teaching other businesses how to handle customer service.

Out a few bucks? I'm sorry, but that pales to what many of us have dealt with through other "deals" in life. As I am now officially an old fart at 50, I can tell you that things happen in life. eD does as well as anyone I've seen in trying to make it right. Honda buying you a new A/C at 80k miles??? Count me as TOTALLY shocked. That is NOT a normal behavior. I have had a battle w/ a vendor over a $10k engine that wasn't built and delivered in a timely fashion, parts missing, etc...CC company and secondary supplier involved...MAJOR hassle. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Finally: the amp is the least critical part of this thing. It is an easily swapped out piece of electronics. Unlike a poorly built box or a driver that is defective, it is pretty easy to get a new one in and out. eD ships fast, and it is only their explosive growth that has slowed things down as much as it has.

Who are you talking to on this post? You quoted my Honda example I quoted as a plus to this company for trying to fix what ails the Amp. The rest of the post appears to be directed at someone else. I don't have an eD sub yet. I'm still waiting on mine. Just not sure if you are Quoting someone elses issue or who you are talking to.

Tony
post #543 of 15473 Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

LOL. Was that just from seeing it, or hearing the eary low frequencies from your house?

That was just from the box coming out of the fed ex truck to my living room! Funny thing is I have 2 different fedex drivers for my neighborhood. 1 is a 6 foot 5 man and a 5 foot 2 woman. Who do you think made the delivery that day??????
post #544 of 15473 Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

feeling the love people. by the way i am in the paint shop!! later.
post #545 of 15473 Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

all i hear of is wonderful customer service at ed. yes they are friendly, and they answer you questions. isnt that their job? they seem to be nice people, wonderful. but to me customer service is more than friendly and courtous. it about delivering a product promptly, when specified. i like the guys at ed, and would probably invite them to diner if they lived closer,but does that mean i would buy their product? probably not if i could get same down the street 5, 6 week earlier. ed , by all accounts makes a great product, but now there is competitoin. im not a fanboy, are you ? i also own 2 of there subs, do you? most people that seem to be saying how great their customer service is have only ordered, but not received! in the last 6 mnts ive waited 4 1/2 mnts for 3 subs, but they are friendly!? people get a clue!
post #546 of 15473 Old 01-08-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

sorry that was 4 mnts, and finally cancelled order for 3rd today
post #547 of 15473 Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Which 2 subs do you own and what's your opinion about them?
post #548 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 05:13 AM

I agree with warlord260. I also hear about "great customer service" and "free shipping" for the subs. What about AFTER the purchase? "Great customer service" to me also includes after I buy the sub. If I buy a product that is defective from the start (ie: a defective amp) I would not want to have to pay to have the amp shipped for service- that should be on ed's dime. IMHO Great customer support comes before, during and especially after the purchase.
post #549 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 AM

Still waiting for some pics of the new A7-450 in house. Have I missed them or they just haven't posted yet.
post #550 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

Which 2 subs do you own and what's your opinion about them?

i own 2 of the a2-300s. one isnt level on the bottom, but after i put it on the stryo shipping corners it totally kicks ass for what it is. i have 2 in a 4400cu. ft. room. now before some one asks how do i know it isnt square, etc. i am a tool+die maker! +, - .0001. i think that would answer that. i think that ed is a good company. they just need to seriously fix their production, which it seems they are trying to do. i wish them the best of luck! they have good products, but the need to figure out how to get them to the market sooner.
post #551 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatraw View Post

I agree with warlord260. I also hear about "great customer service" and "free shipping" for the subs. What about AFTER the purchase? "Great customer service" to me also includes after I buy the sub. If I buy a product that is defective from the start (ie: a defective amp) I would not want to have to pay to have the amp shipped for service- that should be on ed's dime. IMHO Great customer support comes before, during and especially after the purchase.

Welcome. Since you seem to be new to this discussion let me recap. When an eD amp fails eD ships a new amp to the customer free of charge (usually next day) AND pays for shipping the defective amp back to them. In short, when an amp fails there is ZERO cost to the customer (other than inconvenience.)
post #552 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

Welcome. Since you seem to be new to this discussion let me recap. When an eD amp fails eD ships a new amp to the customer free of charge (usually next day) AND pays for shipping the defective amp back to them. In short, when an amp fails there is ZERO cost to the customer (other than inconvenience.)

Has there been anyone with an Amp Problem to confirm this? It appears those that have posted with Amp problems are upset as they had to pay the Shipping for the blown Amp. I understand what eD said on the thread, but I also read two or three folks say the opposite actually happened. So, we need to know the truth. Someone isn't being honest. I'm hoping it's the few posters, but why would they make that up?

Tony
post #553 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:29 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatraw View Post

I do not think that you can find a single person that paid to have their new amp shipped to them. The only people that I have read about that paid shipping on an ED sub during the warranty period were people that wanted a refund on the whole sub rather than a new amp. I can understand their frustration and returning the product, but do you think that you can buy a new car, have a part tear up on it two or three times and return the car for a full refund when the company is offering to fix the car at no charge? You returned a product that they were offering to fix. Having the problem sucks, but it is hard to fault a company that is offering free replacement of the part.

ED has said they have been able to short out the amp by the driver bottoming out. From my understanding the fix that ED is doing is to make it so that the driver can not bottom out. Also from my understanding ED has not been able to duplicate the problem of a sub going dead part of the time and playing part of the time.
post #554 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Has there been anyone with an Amp Problem to confirm this? It appears those that have posted with Amp problems are upset as they had to pay the Shipping for the blown Amp. I understand what eD said on the thread, but I also read two or three folks say the opposite actually happened. So, we need to know the truth. Someone isn't being honest. I'm hoping it's the few posters, but why would they make that up?

Find me one post where a person said that they paid shipping for a new amp. I do not think you can find one. You can find where people returned the whole subwoofer for credit and they had to pay to ship the whole sub back. Use common sense. These people are talking about being out around $200 for shipping. It does not cost $200 to ship a 10 pound amp.
post #555 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 2 people who are saying they were charged decided not to have eD fix the subs and sent their units back for a refund. When you return a sub to eD for a refund they don't cover the cost of return shipping and subtract the cost of shipping the sub to you in the first place from the amount refunded. In dhandel's case he may have been charged for shipping a replacement amp because the amp he returned to eD was functional when they received it, but that isn't 100% clear.
post #556 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Not altogether off topic, but a new monkey wrench - aren't there lemon laws to protect the consumer? Not sure how that equates to shipping charges, but if the amp has to be replaced times, would that make the whole sub a "lemon?" I'm confident I have no idea what I'm talking about, but maybe someone else can run with this idea.

I still have 8 weeks to wait so at this point I'll be excited when the FedEx driver staggers to my door. As long as it works for about 2 1/2 hours to watch my first movie, I'll deal with the amp issues if and when they come.
post #557 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 AM

Just to add to this thread regarding amps. I have had an A7S-450 for a couple of months and my sub works fine, but I do have the LT1300 not the LT550 amp.
post #558 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post

Not altogether off topic, but a new monkey wrench - aren't there lemon laws to protect the consumer? Not sure how that equates to shipping charges, but if the amp has to be replaced times, would that make the whole sub a "lemon?" I'm confident I have no idea what I'm talking about, but maybe someone else can run with this idea.

I still have 8 weeks to wait so at this point I'll be excited when the FedEx driver staggers to my door. As long as it works for about 2 1/2 hours to watch my first movie, I'll deal with the amp issues if and when they come.

lemon laws very state to state (some states don't have them at all and most only have them for auto purchases.) unless you live in the same state as eD they wouldn't apply anyway.
post #559 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Just to add to this thread regarding amps. I have had an A7S-450 for a couple of months and my sub works fine, but I do have the LT1300 not the LT550 amp.

Rub it in . Mine keeps getting shifted from 'in Paint Room" to "In Final Assembly"
post #560 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Rub it in . Mine keeps getting shifted from 'in Paint Room" to "In Final Assembly"

I think that happens because most of the edges and corners are square not rounded. Very easy to damage during assembly. That happened to mine so it had to go back through the paint room also.
post #561 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:

The 2 people who are saying they were charged decided not to have eD fix the subs and sent their units back for a refund. When you return a sub to eD for a refund they don't cover the cost of return shipping and subtract the cost of shipping the sub to you in the first place from the amount refunded. In dhandel's case he may have been charged for shipping a replacement amp because the amp he returned to eD was functional when they received it, but that isn't 100% clear.

Amplifier relacement shipping charges was never charged for - good customer service. It is true eD stated that my amp was functional on return and it tested fine. Remember iceperson, I never said the amplifier blew. I knew the amplifier still functioned when I sent it back - my problem was a smell and an auto-protect mode the sub went into at moderate (no SPL meter - can't quantify) levels. Two amplifiers did this and the sub was behind a proscenium so it was very irritating to have to take down the proscenium every time to reset the amps. I suppose we can assume I am the only person for whom they were unable to replicate this problem on their test bench. Chris makes it sound like there were others. Before you say it - I changes cables, checked line levels, routed power from other outlets, and used 2 other subs in its place which had no problems. I hope this clarifies the problems I was having. For others purchasing eD if you do have problems with the amp they will take care of you (i.e. no shipping charges for the amp). But if you decide you are tired of the hassle be prepared to pay for return shipping, the initial shipping, and packaging on the entire sub.
post #562 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

I think that happens because most of the edges and corners are square not rounded. Very easy to damage during assembly. That happened to mine so it had to go back through the paint room also.

sounds like a manufacturing problem that needs to be adressed. get it done and say next, or quit taking orders. think of it like this: it takes how many hrs to build a car, how many week to make a speaker? quit saying its ok, its not ok.
post #563 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

sounds like a manufacturing problem that needs to be adressed. get it done and say next, or quit taking orders. think of it like this: it takes how many hrs to build a car, how many week to make a speaker? quit saying its ok, its not ok.

That only happened to Mike's sub. Already addressed.

I'm guessing the back and forth moving is more to do with JJ not paying attention when he's going through the order system with the drop down menus. I'll have a chat w/ him.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #564 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

I think the SVS 13 Ultra had something like a 3-4 month wait when it first came out didn't it? When I placed my initial order for an A5 the A7S wasn't even a listed product.

And Chris, It's only moved a few times. Not enough for me to complain (I was just playing earlier) or anyone to get into trouble over. If I get it before the upcoming 3 day MLK weekend I'll be ecstatic.
post #565 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the SVS 13 Ultra had something like a 3-4 month wait when it first came out didn't it? When I placed my initial order for an A5 the A7S wasn't even a listed product.

And Chris, It's only moved a few times. Not enough for me to complain (I was just playing earlier) or anyone to get into trouble over. If I get it before the upcoming 3 day MLK weekend I'll be ecstatic.

So, about the only time I'll actually post something about a specific order here just because I don't want anyone concerned about the paint process.

When you were moved to Final Assembly the first time, JJ didn't realize that we needed to get MichaelTS's out. So that one was really his. FedEx lost his A7S-450 so that one needed to get out first. Then it was moved back to Paintroom when he realized that yours was still in there.

It really is sitting out there ready to ship today

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #566 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

So, about the only time I'll actually post something about a specific order here just because I don't want anyone concerned about the paint process.

When you were moved to Final Assembly the first time, JJ didn't realize that we needed to get MichaelTS's out. So that one was really his. FedEx lost his A7S-450 so that one needed to get out first. Then it was moved back to Paintroom when he realized that yours was still in there.

It really is sitting out there ready to ship today

Woot! Thanks. I'll try not to crash your webserver by refreshing my order page looking for a tracking number then.

You guys should setup an automated email message when the status changes. Would probably save you some bandwidth.
post #567 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Woot! Thanks. I'll try not to crash your webserver by refreshing my order page looking for a tracking number then.

You guys should setup an automated email message when the status changes. Would probably save you some bandwidth.

I tried.

But because the whole script JJ uses was made by me...and because I'm only a top seeded amateur programming type guy...I haven't figured out the whole e-mail people what I say part of it.

Then we got busy.

Just haven't had time to revisit it yet.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #568 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

I tried.

But because the whole script JJ uses was made by me...and because I'm only a top seeded amateur programming type guy...I haven't figured out the whole e-mail people what I say part of it.

Then we got busy.

Just haven't had time to revisit it yet.

I can only say one thing: Macintosh! Dump that IBM-PC system, Apple is your friend.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #569 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I can only say one thing: Macintosh! Dump that IBM-PC system, Apple is your friend.

A PHP script will have to do the same thing either way though

More a matter of I just didn't take the time to learn it properly. I did figure out how to e-mail myself the entire product pages though...not too useful

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #570 of 15473 Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Alrighty, my amp in the A3-300 died too. I am gonna say first off I am currently a Tech Support Supervisor and a former RF Engineering Technician (so you know that I am not electronically challenged ). When I realized I had no output and confirmed (with another sub I had on hand) that the A3-300 was no longer functional I pulled the amp out. I am not sure what failed initially as there was actually a hole burned in the PCB at the point of failure. My guess is that a capacitor literally blew up and possibly was smoking for a little bit. Whatever caused that over amperage on that capacitor was the real culprit though.

Fast Forward to the replacement, I received it at no cost, repacked the failed unit and i paid for that to be shipped back. It did not cost an arm and a leg as i sent it Parcel Post cheap and dirty.

How do I rate the customer support after sale, excellent. I spoke to Alex on the phone and told him what I found and the amp was in the mail that day at the latest the next day. It has been a couple months since this happened. I have had my A3-300 since April of '07.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Elemental Designs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page