Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1231 of 15522 Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh I thought that movie was on the bass list. I have never seen them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 15522 Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
OT, but what the hey! IMO, Matrix is an interesting flick, the other two literally suck wind so don't waste your Netflix time on them

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #1233 of 15522 Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

OT, but what the hey! IMO, Matrix is an interesting flick, the other two literally suck wind so don't waste your Netflix time on them

Lol got it.
post #1234 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 AM

Awesome, another day goes by that I was told my finished A5-350 should ship, and it still hasn't. Last I checked (on Friday) it would be the second one to go out, and it would go out Monday if FedEx was working (and they were), or Tuesday if they weren't.

I wouldn't of cared that much if A) It didn't take over 2 weeks (maybe 3??) to go from Final Assembly to Shipped or B) They gave halfway decent time estimates. It is pretty sad that they can't even be accurate on the shipping time when the sub is finished! Ordered 12/11, and I'll be lucky if I get it by 2/29.
post #1235 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Well if thats true thats a good reason to be upset. Its rough when ya wait so long`and know its done but sitting there.

I am sure they are doing the best they can.
post #1236 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 06:24 AM

Add me to the "two month plus club".
post #1237 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 06:46 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I think I may have actually asked Chris if that was the case...

I have absolutely no room for the darned thing, my "HT" is 18'x14'x8' = 2016ft³. I'm guessing the free Polk PSW10 I got with my RTi-12s would've moved that little space... but I had a bit of freed-up cash, and this is more than likely the last BIG HT purchase I'm ever going to make (until my Sony KDS-R60XBR1 craps out ) so I just shot-the-moon!
added: oh, yeah. I forgot to say that I'm an old guy who probably won't even be able to lift the darned thing to put those hour-glass feet on!

The RTi12's and an A7S-450 should make a nice setup. Now that you have your audio side taken care of it is time to look at the video side. If you don't have a projector now is a good time to be looking at projectors. The prices have dropped so much that you can buy a pretty good projector (720P and/or 1080P) for less money than a 50" plasma.
post #1238 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know that I'll be selling my A5-350 here soon.
Figured anyone reading this thread might enjoy a heads up.
post #1239 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know that I'll be selling my A5-350 here soon.

What's the reason for selling? What will take it's place in your HT setup?
post #1240 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what are u replacing it with?
post #1241 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

There is nothing replacing it until my years' lease is up and I move.(~8 months till then)

At that time I'll have to evaluate what will be acceptable and buy accordingly. But until I own a home, it will still have to be something smaller.
post #1242 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

There is nothing replacing it until my years' lease is up and I move.(~8 months till then)

At that time I'll have to evaluate what will be acceptable and buy accordingly. But until I own a home, it will still have to be something smaller.

Did you get in bass trouble?

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #1243 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 PM

12/10/2007 here. They didn't waste anytime pulling the funds though. I too was told last week "It should be any day" This is without a doubt the last product I order from E.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatraw View Post

Add me to the "two month plus club".

Rick
post #1244 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Are downward firing subs easier to place for optimal performance than front firing?
post #1245 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix2 View Post

Well if thats true thats a good reason to be upset. Its rough when ya wait so long`and know its done but sitting there.

I am sure they are doing the best they can.

Oh, I can assure you it is true and it's pretty much my fault.

Between Alex and I we probably speak with 20~30 people each day about where their HT sub is. Some multiple times a week. Unfortunately, we don't have a set in stone production schedule so we make estimates based on what should be able to be done each day etc. Not everyone can always work 12 hour days and sometimes we base these estimates on the idea that people will be here long after hours when it ends up not happening.

Or last week just catching up on full range items and 13Av.2's took far far longer than I expected which screwed up estimates more. Combine that with weather Sunday that pretty much closed all of Iowa and I couldn't come in and do final assembly/QC/packing on any of the HT subs.

Yes, over the last 2 weeks or so, between Alex and I we've probably ended up giving quite a few people the wrong estimates. Not because we enjoy talking to them again when we've missed an estimate that we've given, but because it's the best we can give at the moment we're speaking with the person. This may change depending on who you talk to, how many other people we're chatting with on live support, or whether mother nature dumped another 4" of ice on our roads.

Basically, yeah, we've given wrong estimates to people in the last few weeks and it sucks because we want nothing more than to get the products into peoples hands and we've been putting in hours upon hours trying to do so. I never wanted to get to the point again where we had an order > 2 months old in our system waiting for shipment. We're there again now and it sucks.

Hopefully over the next couple of weeks we can actually start getting aught up so we don't end up telling anyone wrong estimates...starting tomorrow. We got a few HT subs shipped again today and tomorrow should be more.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #1246 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Honest gotta love that Hey gotta estimate on mine J/K
post #1247 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 PM

Yes, I know the wait is painful. However, it is well worth it! Please be patient with them; they are working ridiculous overtime to help all of us.

My original order: 11/30
shipped (pair of A7S-450): 1/15
replacement of one damaged A7S: shipped 1/22 (before the damaged one was picked up by fedex)

We all want our subs TODAY. but you also don't want them to RUSH your sub. You want them to take as much time as necessary to do as perfect a job as possible.

Afterall, it's a sub, not a donor kidney or rare blood type transfusion.

If they weren't busy, it would mean that they weren't a great sub to own.

Restaurant analogy: you want to eat at a great restaurant? Be prepared to wait. Do you really want to eat at the place that has no lines and empty tables? No. therefore the wait is a GOOD thing.

:-)
post #1248 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Did you get in bass trouble?

5 calls and one angry visit from landlord.
13 calls since Jan. 1st by one of two neighbors that share the house.(3 apartments)
post #1249 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

5 calls and one angry visit from landlord.
13 calls since Jan. 1st by one of two neighbors that share the house.(3 apartments)

If you are planning on staying in the same area for a while, then I would start house hunting. Interest rates are low and house sales are down. It is a buyers market right now.
post #1250 of 15522 Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok.. not trying to start a flame war or anything.... but I just don't get all the problems eD is having making subwoofers. Now eD sells a lot of products, but I don't think they make many of them. Of the components of the subwoofers, about the only thing they make is the box. The driver they design but I think it is made in China. There doesn't seem to be any problem getting supplies of drivers. The amps are bought from a company in Taiwan and they put their model sticker over the Keiga amp's model number. Supply of amps does not seem to be a problem (amp issues aside). They certainly don't make the wire, and the feet look like the same ones Parts Express sells. So really they are making boxes and painting boxes. Then they install the parts that they bought from supplies into the box. The parts of the box are cut on CNC machines and they seem to have stacks of box parts laying all over. Now I can understand there are a certain number of steps to make and paint a box, but this is not rocket science. I have been waiting 40 days for them to even start making my box and I'm still waiting since they have not even begun. Then once they start making my box (which I think means they pull the pre-cut MDF panels off the stack and begin to glue it up) it will take weeks longer to paint it and install the vendor parts and ship it.

Clearly mass producing boxes is not eD's strength. Likely they had this capability on hand to make custom boxes for their auto market and other one-off units. When they began selling powered subwoofers I can appreciate that they were caught unprepared for the higher sales rate... but this was months ago. Over 6 months as far as I can tell (and maybe longer) and the problem is getting worse not better. Sure there is snow... it is Iowa and winter time. And people get sick. And when several of your employees go to lunch and never come back, that should be a message. If there were no snow they would only be 1 month 29 days behind? And when you work people 12hr/day 7 days a week it is only a matter of time before they stop showing up. Not to mention overworked employees tend to make mistakes.

This whole situation reminds me of the many times I go to my local Lowes and there is no one at the cash register or only one open and 10 people in line. I stand there thinking that here is a company that doesn't care to sell their products. I'm waiting to give them my money... the same money that they in turn use to pay their bills and paychecks to their employees.. yet they don't seem slightly interested in taking my money. I wonder how they stay in business. It is almost like the employees don't understand the relationship between the money I want to give them and their paycheck.

Now maybe I can see how the average employee at a big box store may not care that much, but eD is a small company and I think most employees know a heck of a lot more about their company than a Lowes employee.

eD does have some great products and they have been successful where others haven't. But you could have the best product, if you can't get it to your customers it doesn't matter. I tell myself surely they see the big picture here. Mass producing boxes is not where the companies future lies. Lots of people make boxes in this world. I recently bought some Energy speakers. These are designed in Canada and made in China. The workmanship is fantastic and they are finished in a beautiful Rosenut veneer (yeah I know all about how subwoofers should be ugly but these things a pretty) and they were in stock. I realize eD takes pride in the "made in IA" label, but honestly, what do they really make?

Someday they will finally realize that they need to outsource the boxes like they do most everything else. Then they can spend those 12 hour days taking my (and your) money and developing new products to sell us all and take yet more of our money. Some will say "but hey... there are other subs that you have to wait months to get" to this I say "if all subs were jumping off a cliff would you want yours to jump off too?" The only thing keeping me from cancelling my order and buying something else is price. To save money I will wait, but I'm sure there are many who will take their money and go elsewhere.

eD ought to be thinking seriously about the big picture instead of just trying to figure out how to make boxes faster. They sell a lot of other products and don't seem to have the same issues. In fact I'm sure I could have bought the driver, amp, wire, and feet and had it in a week, it is just the box holding everything up.

I think eD needs to change their billing policy. Currently they bill you the full price when they begin building your sub. But it can still be weeks before they ship. I don't think they should bill until they ship. This is in keeping with most companies I do business with on-line, and maybe this will help motivate them to re-structure their subwoofer process.

I'm not trying to throw flames... but I think this whole things is holding eD back from what they could be doing. It is frustrating from a customer perspective and I'm sure it is even more frustrating on the company. So I'm just wondering when they are going to stop beating their heads against the wall and make some serious decisions.

oh well... maybe I shouldn't have hit the "submit" button but I'm just venting. If I had my sub I'd be watching some movie and not on the internet like the geek that I am.

Back to waiting on the woodshop......
post #1251 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedracerII View Post

Ok.. not trying to start a flame war or anything.... but I just don't get all the problems eD is having making subwoofers. Now eD sells a lot of products, but I don't think they make many of them. Of the components of the subwoofers, about the only thing they make is the box. The driver they design but I think it is made in China. There doesn't seem to be any problem getting supplies of drivers. The amps are bought from a company in Taiwan and they put their model sticker over the Keiga amp's model number. Supply of amps does not seem to be a problem (amp issues aside). They certainly don't make the wire, and the feet look like the same ones Parts Express sells. So really they are making boxes and painting boxes. Then they install the parts that they bought from supplies into the box. The parts of the box are cut on CNC machines and they seem to have stacks of box parts laying all over. Now I can understand there are a certain number of steps to make and paint a box, but this is not rocket science. I have been waiting 40 days for them to even start making my box and I'm still waiting since they have not even begun. Then once they start making my box (which I think means they pull the pre-cut MDF panels off the stack and begin to glue it up) it will take weeks longer to paint it and install the vendor parts and ship it.

Clearly mass producing boxes is not eD's strength. Likely they had this capability on hand to make custom boxes for their auto market and other one-off units. When they began selling powered subwoofers I can appreciate that they were caught unprepared for the higher sales rate... but this was months ago. Over 6 months as far as I can tell (and maybe longer) and the problem is getting worse not better. Sure there is snow... it is Iowa and winter time. And people get sick. And when several of your employees go to lunch and never come back, that should be a message. If there were no snow they would only be 1 month 29 days behind? And when you work people 12hr/day 7 days a week it is only a matter of time before they stop showing up. Not to mention overworked employees tend to make mistakes.

This whole situation reminds me of the many times I go to my local Lowes and there is no one at the cash register or only one open and 10 people in line. I stand there thinking that here is a company that doesn't care to sell their products. I'm waiting to give them my money... the same money that they in turn use to pay their bills and paychecks to their employees.. yet they don't seem slightly interested in taking my money. I wonder how they stay in business. It is almost like the employees don't understand the relationship between the money I want to give them and their paycheck.

Now maybe I can see how the average employee at a big box store may not care that much, but eD is a small company and I think most employees know a heck of a lot more about their company than a Lowes employee.

eD does have some great products and they have been successful where others haven't. But you could have the best product, if you can't get it to your customers it doesn't matter. I tell myself surely they see the big picture here. Mass producing boxes is not where the companies future lies. Lots of people make boxes in this world. I recently bought some Energy speakers. These are designed in Canada and made in China. The workmanship is fantastic and they are finished in a beautiful Rosenut veneer (yeah I know all about how subwoofers should be ugly but these things a pretty) and they were in stock. I realize eD takes pride in the "made in IA" label, but honestly, what do they really make?

Someday they will finally realize that they need to outsource the boxes like they do most everything else. Then they can spend those 12 hour days taking my (and your) money and developing new products to sell us all and take yet more of our money. Some will say "but hey... there are other subs that you have to wait months to get" to this I say "if all subs were jumping off a cliff would you want yours to jump off too?" The only thing keeping me from cancelling my order and buying something else is price. To save money I will wait, but I'm sure there are many who will take their money and go elsewhere.

eD ought to be thinking seriously about the big picture instead of just trying to figure out how to make boxes faster. They sell a lot of other products and don't seem to have the same issues. In fact I'm sure I could have bought the driver, amp, wire, and feet and had it in a week, it is just the box holding everything up.

I think eD needs to change their billing policy. Currently they bill you the full price when they begin building your sub. But it can still be weeks before they ship. I don't think they should bill until they ship. This is in keeping with most companies I do business with on-line, and maybe this will help motivate them to re-structure their subwoofer process.

I'm not trying to throw flames... but I think this whole things is holding eD back from what they could be doing. It is frustrating from a customer perspective and I'm sure it is even more frustrating on the company. So I'm just wondering when they are going to stop beating their heads against the wall and make some serious decisions.

oh well... maybe I shouldn't have hit the "submit" button but I'm just venting. If I had my sub I'd be watching some movie and not on the internet like the geek that I am.

Back to waiting on the wood shop......

Well it seems you could streamline thins and get them in order maybe they should hire you. Forget the idea of all the calls one gets or the packaging that needs to be done.

Forget they are online constantly trying to keep customers updated. forget about the low prices they have on there stuff. For get about they need to pay there people and actually turn a buck.

I am sure they would love to hire 100 more people but they would have to raise the prices on the merchandise to cover that.

They are not the only ones behind look around.
post #1252 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 04:45 AM

Does anyone have pics of their A7-450 in their home yet? What kind of performance is this thing producing?
post #1253 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittonJohnson View Post

Does anyone have pics of their A7-450 in their home yet? What kind of performance is this thing producing?

there are pics of one by Johnny Drama in this thread.

edit:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=622
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=625

and if mine arrives safely, i'll have some pics in about ten days

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
post #1254 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 AM

Speedracer, your observations are certainly accurate. Now, putting a plan together to solve the problem and executing the plan with minimal disruption will certainly be challenging and will take some time.

The immediate solution is to bring additional hands on board. But, ultimately they will need to make a hard decision as to whether they need to bring someone in from the outside with experience in large scale manufacturing, outsourcing, logistics, distribution, etc. or hire a consultant. Either way, the decision will be a tough one and it will be expensive. Raising prices is usually not a good alternative. Setting an effective plan in motion that will yield more efficiency in production and higher sales is the way to go.

I work for a major reseller myself. My company produces ZERO. We're just a $5 billion a year distributor (B2B division only). Our retail division generates another $15 billion in sales. That is in fact billions.

I just wanted to give you the background so that you understand we're I'm coming from. A small percentage of our sales are furniture. We deal with a major manufacturer of furniture (HON). They usually give us a 3-4 week lead time on orders. We set the expectations for our customers at 5-6 weeks. HON knows what they are doing and they do it well. Yet, they still have production and distribution issues.

eD would certainly benefit if they seek outside advice. With a few exceptions it appears that they offer quality products that are in high demand. I would like to see eD continue to bring great products onto the market. eD, please don't miss this opportunity. You need to, at the very least, sit down with a consultant.
post #1255 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Not for anything, but many made-to-order products simply take time to make under the best circumstances, as Rutgers1 pointed out. I just bought a house in August and had to wait 6-8 weeks on many items - furniture, blinds, drapes...even the dining room table pad took 8 weeks (and didn't arrive in time for T-day dinner like we were promised)! I recognize this is an exciting purchase, and it's easy for me to say "oh, just wait" now that I have my sub. However, while I was waiting, and now that I am an owner, I am satisfied with their public responsiveness and openness about the issues they are facing. I don't get the sense they are playing games or giving lip service. Honesty goes a long way with me, and it seems they are trying their best and trying to explain when that doesn't work out. Now, if folks are unwilling to wait it out, and walk away as some have, that is their choice - everyone understands that.

Maybe I'm just cynical, so when I hear someone tell me something is going to take 6-8 weeks I just assume I should tack on another 30% to that, because that has been my experience on many things. Doesn't mean it's right, I just accept it and wait.
post #1256 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

speedracer and rutgers, you guys pretty much nailed it.

There was a point before the holidays when lead times were down to < 2 weeks. We had just never experienced a full holiday season producing HT subwoofers. As we've mentioned in our blog, we're working on what is basically a complete overhaul of the way the company does business.

As I mentioned, paint is the biggest downfall right now. We just don't have the room to paint boxes as fast as we can build them. Building them really isn't an issue, we've got 4 or 5 pallets stacked 8' tall with enclosures that just need paint and it sucks. That's why we're working on renting a much larger space in town that could house all of the boxes and get everything painted in a weekend. Unfortunately, the owner of said space isn't the easiest person to get in touch with.

The way things happen here is definitely changing, it just can't happen instantaneously.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #1257 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 AM

hey i was looking at the eD website and noticed that the
160v.2 weighs 56 lbs.
190v.2 weighs 42 lbs.

is that right? the larger 18" driver weighs 14 lbs LESS than the 15?
post #1258 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Man Eagle, that's too bad. I'm a little worried about my place as well when I get my sub. I live in an apartment building, but it's pretty new construction. I can hear sounds from the hallway clearly, but I've never heard anything from a neighbor. It's actually pretty hard to hear things from my living room/roommates room from my bedroom. I'm not planning on really blasting my sub either.
post #1259 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

My house, while renevated very nicely, is an old building with thin walls.
So that doesn't help.
post #1260 of 15522 Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflap View Post

hey i was looking at the eD website and noticed that the
160v.2 weighs 56 lbs.
190v.2 weighs 42 lbs.

is that right? the larger 18" driver weighs 14 lbs LESS than the 15?

Shipping weight in a crate vs. shipping weight in a cardboard box w/ big chunks of styrofoam

Actually weights are I believe 31 and 38 pounds.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Elemental Designs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page