Official Elemental Designs Subwoofer Thread - Page 524 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

Old 04-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
It looks like the 1260 & 1060 are discontinued (this is a 10" box) is the Infinity Reference 1062W ok?

Thanks

the 1062w is a dual 4 ohm voice coil. you will be in the same boat as you are in now. you need the 1060w...

try this:
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/infinity...FQWUfgodbvECgw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could do like I did to block off the amp hole.

I bought blown amps of the appropriate size, pulled off all the pcb and extra crap on the amp, and used the speaker binding posts.

It turns the whole plate amp into a terminal plate.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks for the input!

I had this DD driver lying around:
http://ddaudio.com/products/subwoofe...1000-series-2/

Put it in the ED box & the soundstream replaced one of the Orions. So far so good!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
By any chance......anyone remember the dual tower subs that ED sold? The model number of them?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Troubleshooting my A7S-450 as I'm not getting performance anywhere near what I've been used to. I've seen some good tips in here and I'll investigate as to whether it's the plate amp or something else, but I appreciate this forum! You folks rock.

-Michael
Old 04-27-2016, 09:09 PM

Liked: 0
A7s-450 issue

Hello fellow Ed owners,

I am new to the forums so please bare with me while I get used to everything

With that being said I have been an owner of an a7s-450 for about 3 years. I loved every minute that I used it. However during the summer of last year my front speakers malfunctioned and I was without my stereo for awhile. In that time I unplugged my subwoofer in case a lightning storm struck. My subwoofer has been unplugged from the outlet for the past 6 months or so. Just recently I got some basic speakers just so I could get my sub back up and running. And here is the issue. I've looked through the past pages as much as I can but I'm not clear what my problem is. When I turn the sub on the green light comes on and stays on until auto shutoff kicks in but there was very weak output and now there is no output but it still lights up green and funtctions normally. I've carefully looked at my receiver and cables but it's all good. I've never had to deal with a busted sub so I don't know exactly what to do. I'm no audio expert. But I did a crude test with the driver by hooking it up to my receiver just long enough to see if there was any output. It sounds great and strong so I hope that means the driver is safe

Anyway sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much info as I could because I want my beast back. Ha. Thanks to any input in guiding me on what I should do
Old 04-27-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riztnack View Post
By any chance......anyone remember the dual tower subs that ED sold? The model number of them?
Hello

These are the Subs I found. A7S-650 and A7-900. They are the only ones I found. Hope that helps🙂
Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone_n_flesh View Post
Hello

These are the Subs I found. A7S-650 and A7-900. They are the only ones I found. Hope that helps🙂
Or maybe you meant the p7-650. Separate tower subwoofers. The other ones i mentioned have dual drivers in them. Either way hope that helps🙂
Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone on here have experience with the Elemental Designs P7-650?

I have a chance to pick up a set of Elemental Designs P7-650 . When i say set I mean one since they came as a pair. can anyone give me their impression of them? i can get them for $500. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2016, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post
I have a chance to pick up a set of Elemental Designs P7-650 . When i say set I mean one since they came as a pair. can anyone give me their impression of them? i can get them for $500. Thanks!

I'd say that $500 for the pair is a good deal. I would get a demo to make sure the drivers are good.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the reply. I ended up passing only because of their size
Old 05-30-2016, 12:46 AM

Hey all I'm not sure why I can't post a question here all I see is the option to reply. So I apologize for the placement. Perhaps it's because I'm new. I'm an owner of an A7-900 Ed sub and had some rattling coming from my driver so I removed it not realizing the wiring was so tight in there that I popped the wires loose from the other driver. I'm wondering if anyone has a pic of the wiring with the plate amp removed or some sort of diagram on how to re wire it correctly without ruining it. I'm thinking some speaker wires were just taping against the back of the driver and they need to be moved out of the way. Thanks and please move my thread if needed D.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I think my ED LT200 died again. The LED light turns green so it's obviously getting a signal from the reviewer but I don't hear any sound. Took out the fuse and that was fine, took out the amp plate and examined the boards and everything seems to be fine from what I could observer. No disconnected wires, no burnt connections, no blown resistors.

At this point I am ready for another subwoofer but before I fork out hundreds of dollars, I was thinking about replacing the ED LT200 amp with a Dayton SPA250 amp but keep the enclosure and woofer intact. Would the Dayton amp fit or do I need to mod the enclosure to make it fit?

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
Old 07-01-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

So, the driver was the issue. I did the 9v battery test and got no response from the driver. Some people suggested a Dayton Audio DVC310-88 12" DVC Series Subwoofer to replace the ED A2-300 driver but the Dayton driver is not longer available. Is there a comparable down firing driver that you guys would recommend?

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post
So, the driver was the issue. I did the 9v battery test and got no response from the driver. Some people suggested a Dayton Audio DVC310-88 12" DVC Series Subwoofer to replace the ED A2-300 driver but the Dayton driver is not longer available. Is there a comparable down firing driver that you guys would recommend?

Infinity reference 1260w is what I used in mine... Don't get the 1262 - it won't work.

-Aaron
English Way Cinema and Bar - working on v2.0 in 2016, check it out.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post
Infinity reference 1260w is what I used in mine... Don't get the 1262 - it won't work.
I will check it out. Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will check it out. Thank you for the suggestion.

If you scroll back a few pages a couple of us did the swap and posted up pictures. Very easy to do.

-Aaron
Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you scroll back a few pages a couple of us did the swap and posted up pictures. Very easy to do.
Ah looks super easy indeed. I ordered the infinity driver from eBay and just got the email today about it being shipped out. So, I get to play around with the sub this weekend.

Since my original subwoofer didn't come with any sound dampening foam, would I be able to use the foams that came with my pelican case to stuff the subwoofer? Will it do the job or do I need specific foam?

Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I feel kinda silly for not doing enough research prior to this but curious as to why the Infinity 1262w wouldn't work? The driver that came with my sub has a dual voice coil so I would think the 1262w would be a better replacement. No?

Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I feel kinda silly for not doing enough research prior to this but curious as to why the Infinity 1262w wouldn't work? The driver that came with my sub has a dual voice coil so I would think the 1262w would be a better replacement. No?

No, I believe it is dual 4ohm which would either end up being 2ohm or 8 ohm depending on how you wire it - which would either instantly fry the amp or have very little power depending on which you picked. At least that's how it was explained to me.

As far as the foam - I used polyfill, but I don't think it was necessary.

-Aaron
Old 07-05-2016, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
So, the driver was the issue. I did the 9v battery test
careful with the 9 volt battery test... that is almost a useless test. someone i fixed an amp for insisted his driver was good, because it passed the 9V test. his repaired amp blew up almost immediately when he hooked it back up. finally i got him to use a multimeter, and he measured 1.1 ohms. the voice coil of the driver was burned up, but was not completely shorted... so the 9V test showed some movement. the only thing the 9V test guarantees, is it will let you know if the coil is dead shorted or open coil. otherwise, it is useless.

Quote:
No, I believe it is dual 4ohm which would either end up being 2ohm or 8 ohm depending on how you wire it
correct. the 1262w is a dual 4 ohm voice coil. the number of coils makes no difference, as long as you can get a 4 ohm total load. does not matter if it is quad 1 ohm, dual 2 ohm, dual 8 ohm, or single 4 ohm... all can be configured to be 4 ohms total. the amps are 4 ohm minimum stable, and the LT200 can produce a little over 200 watts RMS a 4 ohms, so that is what the goal is.

drivers with multiple voice coils are more suited to the car audio world, as car amps are often designed to run lower impedance loads. it's common for car amps to run a 1 ohm load, and some of them even go as low as 1/4th ohm.
PTAaron and Tom Vodhanel like this.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, I believe it is dual 4ohm which would either end up being 2ohm or 8 ohm depending on how you wire it - which would either instantly fry the amp or have very little power depending on which you picked. At least that's how it was explained to me.

As far as the foam - I used polyfill, but I don't think it was necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post
careful with the 9 volt battery test... that is almost a useless test. someone i fixed an amp for insisted his driver was good, because it passed the 9V test. his repaired amp blew up almost immediately when he hooked it back up. finally i got him to use a multimeter, and he measured 1.1 ohms. the voice coil of the driver was burned up, but was not completely shorted... so the 9V test showed some movement. the only thing the 9V test guarantees, is it will let you know if the coil is dead shorted or open coil. otherwise, it is useless.

correct. the 1262w is a dual 4 ohm voice coil. the number of coils makes no difference, as long as you can get a 4 ohm total load. does not matter if it is quad 1 ohm, dual 2 ohm, dual 8 ohm, or single 4 ohm... all can be configured to be 4 ohms total. the amps are 4 ohm minimum stable, and the LT200 can produce a little over 200 watts RMS a 4 ohms, so that is what the goal is.

drivers with multiple voice coils are more suited to the car audio world, as car amps are often designed to run lower impedance loads. it's common for car amps to run a 1 ohm load, and some of them even go as low as 1/4th ohm.
Good info guys and thanks once again. That's why I love this forum
PTAaron likes this.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The Infinity driver arrived Saturday and I did the swap and boom! I have bass again :blush: Easiest dyi I have ever done. Lol!

Installed and tested. The original driver resting on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468248788759.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	1540201  
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Infinity driver arrived Saturday and I did the swap and boom! I have bass again :blush: Easiest dyi I have ever done. Lol!

Installed and tested. The original driver resting on the floor.
Looks great!
I need to pick up another 1260w for my second A2-300 before they are all gone... getting harder to find for a reasonable price!

-Aaron
Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah... I got a second A2-300 last month
Made a HUGE difference in tactile bass in the first row - much more than I expected!
jitu likes this.

-Aaron

Last edited by PTAaron; 07-11-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks great!
I need to pick up another 1260w for my second A2-300 before they are all gone... getting harder to find for a reasonable price!
Hey, I got mine from eBay for $40 + shipping. BNIB. The seller had a whole bunch of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201605996411
PTAaron likes this.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh yeah... I got a second A2-300 last month
Made a HUGE difference in tactile bass in the first row - much more than I expected!
Whoa! Nice setup ^_^
PTAaron likes this.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey, I got mine from eBay for $40 + shipping. BNIB. The seller had a whole bunch of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201605996411

That's a great price... too bad that auction closed

Quote:
Whoa! Nice setup ^_^
Thank you!

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Subwoofers , Elemental Designs