Sunfire HRS-10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm considering this subwoofer. How are its performance? Deep tight bass? What are the alternatives for this price range? Anyway, I don't hear much people mention sunfire in this forum. Are they reputable such velodyne, Hsu, Svs etc etc.. Are they from the same league? Total confusion here. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Really that bad??
post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veydawn View Post

I don't hear much people mention sunfire in this forum. Are they reputable such velodyne, Hsu, Svs etc etc.. Are they from the same league?

Yeah, it's a name brand. Originally Bob Carver, I think. I think that this is basically a Sunfire Dominator sub. Maybe you can search that. I've heard the Dominator D-12 and it was impressive. Never heard the 10. I think that Sunfire was one of the pioneers of putting drivers in small enclosures, and then adding gobs of amplifier power to get past what was lost in not using a large enclosure. I remember that in some early comparisons with equivalent small box Velodynes, some people found the Velo to be cleaner but the Sunfire to have more output.

As far as not hearing the name mentioned often, maybe people are focused more on the relatively big box DIY type subs. Just a guess. Could also be that Sunfire may be more expensive.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsens View Post

As far as not hearing the name mentioned often, maybe people are focused more on the relatively big box DIY type subs. Just a guess. Could also be that Sunfire may be more expensive.

That's most of it. People on AVS usually suggest the most performance for your money, and the Sunfire subs don't provide that. They do a very good job in a very small package, and if tiny is a must, they'll probably come up. But compare a $1000 Sunfire to an Epik, eD, SVS, or Hsu of the same price and it won't even be close in terms of performance. The Sunfire subs most definitely appeal to a market, but it doesn't seem to be the AVS market . Anyway, if you require a tiny sub with (relatively) big output and have a lot of money to throw at it, a Sunfire might be a great idea for you. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend any of the other brands I mentioned.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Few things...

This sub is a Sunfire/Carver Dominator in a black gloss finish. The sound quality is great,remember these subs are great for very small rooms with MAJOR "cabin gain" or room gain.

As the Dominator 10" is listed at ~104dB,this is around 30Hz with room gain. No going around size here. I have had the Dominator 8/10 and 12. Even the tiny 8" is surprising,as long as you do not try to impress the hood with loudness. They dig VERY deep,besting competing Velodyne micro subs(in SPL),SQ is about on par with Velo's SPL series.

One thing,the Velo SPL are better built(electronics...amp).

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2008, 08:15 AM

I had a choise either one velodyn spl12" or two sufire hrs 10" for almost the same price. Two subs are always better so I go for that after I borrowed one 12" to test. I have still not listened to to velodyn. I payed a guy to do some simulations on my room and it turned out that if I used two subs at a certain position I would get a very VERY clean curve, only one dip and one top. So the EQ in velody was not good anymore.

The sound is awesome, clean, a lot of power +6db when using two subs. Sunfire hrs are very musical. They caught my ear the first time when going to my local store playing music and I thougt it must be their top of the line EQ signature but it wasn't. I was sold right there when the answer came.

/Sam
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11

awesome sub indeed. not for giant rooms (400sq feet or so: you would need 3-4 HRS12)
tight bass not muddy, super strong woofer.
make careful test of placement, phase adjustement
if seating position is middle of the room (a null zone), then place the subs on each lateral mid wall slightly pointing at you.
if your room is quare, 200ft, and sitting position at rear wall: place the HRS in front of you, 20-60cm from front mid wall.
it's stick with the HRS12, 12'' : area of woofer matters a lot.
if you can afford: get 3-5 in line in front of you (if you sit close to rear wall)

put resonators in corners also !! valid for all types of subs. suck the bass from the corners so it fills the holes in the listening area
sitting close to a wall puts you also in a bass pressure zone.
but again absorb bass; resonators. like here www.jocaviacoustics.com
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page