Velodyne DPS-12B vs. VX-10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-23-2007, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, long time since i posted here, anyways boxing day is coming up (dec 26th) and i currently own a velodyne VX-10 im satisfied with it but im not too comfterable turning it up very loud (wont go above -20db on receiver) due to having it bottom out a few times, just wondering if the DPS-12B would be a worthy replacement and how much of a beating can it take? If it makes any difference I bought the VX-10 a year ago for $150, and the DPS-12B will be $299, thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEvan View Post

the DPS-12B will be $299

And how does the Velodyne compare to the Polk PSW505 which will also be $299?!

The Polk has a bigger power amp (260W RMS compared to 200W), a 50% longer warranty and the specs say it goes a little lower.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #3 of 6 Old 12-23-2007, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

And how does the Velodyne compare to the Polk PSW505 which will also be $299?!

The Polk has a bigger power amp (260W RMS compared to 200W), a 50% longer warranty and the specs say it goes a little lower.

Just a couple things to consider...

First, a 60W difference in amplifier power won't translate to much of anything regarding these two subwoofers. Driver, enclosure, ports, etc are of far more importance. Even if all of the aforementioned factors were equal, a 60W increase in amplifier power probably wouldn't even amount to a perceivable difference.

Second, the Polk is not spec'd to go lower than the Velodyne. While Polk's specs list 23hz as the PSW505's lowest frequency, its -3dB point is 28hz, 3hz HIGHER than the DPS-12's. Polk does this with most of its speakers. I wouldn't call it misleading, per se, because they do list -3dB specs as well. However, it's something to look out for with Polks, because if you casually glance at Polk's specs, their speakers and subs appear to have better extension than they really do.

If I were choosing between the two, I'd want the Velodyne. Either sub is a pretty good bargain at $300, considering they're not from ID companies. The most desirable way to select your subwoofer is of course to demo both. Oh yeah, and to address the OP's question, I've had an VX-10 and have heard DPS-12's and think there should be a significant improvement, both in deep extension and in output. $299 is an excellent price for the DPS-12, and I would recommend it at that price, though eD has great subs at $300 and $350 that should handily outclass the DPS-12. But to answer your question, the DPS-12 is undoubtedly more capable than your current VX-10. Good luck.

Stephen
post #4 of 6 Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I'm using two VX10's which provides me with close to the same output as a DPS12 and it made a world of difference. The DPS 12 will still offer more extension, so you will see a noticeable difference even in a small room. However, unless you really like the built in processor of the DPS 12, even at that really good price, as lalakersfan34 said, there are better on line options for you. I would also consider the new Acculine sub which is made by B&G a small higher end speaker company. Although it only has a 10'' driver and 150 watts RMS, when Craigsub tested one, it had more output but a bit less extension then the ED A2-300. The new one will be improved with a passive radiator replacing the port.
It will be a contender, and should be available from the Audio Insider soon.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 6 Old 12-23-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The problem is i dont have a credit card so i dont have the option of ordering online, so my selection (in my price range) is very limited.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-23-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEvan View Post

The problem is i dont have a credit card so i dont have the option of ordering online, so my selection (in my price range) is very limited.

ED and many other on line companies do accept mail order checks. You can also go to a local pharmacy (Walgreens) Target or Walmart store and purchase a pre-paid bank card.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page