SVS PB12-NSD Placement Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my SVS PB12-NSD this weekend.

This is my first "Front Firing" and "Front Ported" Sub. The SVS manual suggests placing the Sub in a corner. I cannot place mine in the corner because it would be directly behind my front speakers, and I have bass traps that limit that space. The back corners are also not an option due to cabinets. I tried placing the sub up front, between the center and the left speakers, between Center and Right speakers, along the left side wall and the right side wall.

Like most rooms, there were spots where the short THUMP effects sounded great, but the lower frequencies seemed to roll off too soon. Other spots it seemed that the sub reached lower frequencies, but I lost some nice BOOM/THUMP on things like gun firing, etc.

I know this is mostly placement issues, but not sure if I'm suppused to face the speaker and port towards the room, towards the wall, etc. Anyone have some advice on which way to face the sub?

The sub is tuned to 20Hz I believe. I think it rolls off around 18 or 16Hz. However, doing a frequency sweep, I can't hear/feel anything until around 22Hz. Is this common, or would this be a placement issue?

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tony, Did you talk to SVS? They will help you. Regarding placement front stage should be fine.

This one is tuned to 18 Hz.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post

Tony, Did you talk to SVS? They will help you. Regarding placement front stage should be fine.

This one is tuned to 18 Hz.

I sent them an email after I posted here. They said to face the speaker and port towards the listening area, not towards a wall. I think I'll keep it up front and play around with the settings. I'm going to check the Frequency Sweep with Avia, but I checked with the HD DVD of Avia that goes from 16Hz to 300Hz. I didn't hear or feel anything until around 22Hz. Even if this is tuned to 18Hz, would room placement effect me not hearing/feeling below 22Hz? I thought room placement was about the room modes with Nulls and Peaks in respect to dB at specific frequencies, and not so much the actual frequency being obtained. I didn't ask SVS this. Thought I'd ask here first.

Tony
post #4 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

I sent them an email after I posted here. They said to face the speaker and port towards the listening area, not towards a wall. I think I'll keep it up front and play around with the settings. I'm going to check the Frequency Sweep with Avia, but I checked with the HD DVD of Avia that goes from 16Hz to 300Hz. I didn't hear or feel anything until around 22Hz. Even if this is tuned to 18Hz, would room placement effect me not hearing/feeling below 22Hz? I thought room placement was about the room modes with Nulls and Peaks in respect to dB at specific frequencies, and not so much the actual frequency being obtained. I didn't ask SVS this. Thought I'd ask here first.

Doing sweeps makes it hard to put a meter on any one frequency. Download some discrete tones and look at the SPL. 22hz is getting right at the edge of your ears. I can hear 20hz and down, but what I'm hearing is more room than the driver. If the meter shows a big roll off then it's placement. If it's not rolling off then you have a fairly non-resonant room (a good thing) and you're reaching that subsonic plateau. I've been in a room where a 15" Tempest DIY tuned to 17hz was rolling off at 25hz due to a single placement option. It still kicked major ass.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

May be you are sitting in a null. This should easily go down to 18HZ in your room if placed properly. Facing towards the listening area is a good option. Even moving
couple of inches will have an effect on SPL's and FR.

In my 2500 sq ft room with openings to kitchen/hallway/stairs my PB12-ISD(older version downfiring tuned to 22hz) extends down to 18HZ. I placed it nearfield next to my couch three feet away. Try WOTW chapter 5 and it will shake your room.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Doing sweeps makes it hard to put a meter on any one frequency. Download some discrete tones and look at the SPL. 22hz is getting right at the edge of your ears. I can hear 20hz and down, but what I'm hearing is more room than the driver. If the meter shows a big roll off then it's placement. If it's not rolling off then you have a fairly non-resonant room (a good thing) and you're reaching that subsonic plateau. I've been in a room where a 15" Tempest DIY tuned to 17hz was rolling off at 25hz due to a single placement option. It still kicked major ass.

I definitely have some more testing and placements to do. I went down to the room Sunday to do some testing, but my 5 year old wanted to go too, and it was a little difficult as she really likes to talk. I thought about adding an "Auto" Switch to her so she'd only talk when spoken to...LOL. Not really, I like all the questions she has.

Tony
post #7 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post

May be you are sitting in a null. This should easily go down to 18HZ in your room if placed properly. Facing towards the listening area is a good option. Even moving
couple of inches will have an effect on SPL's and FR.

In my 2500 sq ft room with openings to kitchen/hallway/stairs my PB12-ISD(older version downfiring tuned to 22hz) extends down to 18HZ. I placed it nearfield next to my couch three feet away. Try WOTW chapter 5 and it will shake your room.

I don't have WotW, but my friend does. I've already asked to borrow it. Is Chapter 5 where the machines unearth? How low does that go?

Tony
post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't have WotW, but my friend does. I've already asked to borrow it. Is Chapter 5 where the machines unearth? How low does that go?

Yes. check this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493

"War of the Worlds" (2005) DTS
1. Lightning Strikes, Chap 4 (0:15:23) 5Hz WaterFall WaterFall
2. Pods Emerge, Chap 5 (0:21:44) WaterFall WaterFall
3. Ground Implodes, Chap 5 (0:23:35) WaterFall
4. Chap 5, Tripod Stomps Ground Then Car WaterFall
5. Heatray, Chap 6 (0:26:22) WaterFall
6. Chap 7 (0:31:40) WaterFall WaterFall
7. Lightning - 747 Crash, Chap 9 (0:39:22)
8. Chap 9 (0:40:35)
9. Chap 13 (0:59:20)
10. Bombs Dropping, Chap 15 (1:10:45)
11. Chap 16 (1:18:10 - 1:18:50) WaterFall
12. More WaterFalls For WOTW
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page