B&W ASW610 vs B&W ASW610xp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any experience with the two? I'm leaning toward the XP.

Currently running Denon 3808 and HTM61's.

Room is 15x25, hardwood floors, vaulted ceiling.

33/33/33 on music/movies/gaming

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 03:09 PM

Liked: 11
I have only heard the 610 (while auditioning the 683's I currently own) and then I also heard my 683's with a few various velodyne subs there that sounded better. The dealer flat out told me there are much better subs you can get for the money then the B&W subs. I've also heard an svs sb12-plus that I liked better (this is from memory as I didn't hear it side by side) than the ASW610.

- Jon
post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I think you should be looking at other brands of subs. And I like B&W speakers.
Your room is big enough that I think you can benefit from a much larger sub than either of those.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #4 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks - any particular recommendations? I was going toward the B&W as I'm able to get about 30% off retail on them. I've done some reading, SVS comes to mind. I almost pulled the trigger on the Velodyne 1200r - Others worth considering?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonchunski View Post

Ok, thanks - any particular recommendations? I was going toward the B&W as I'm able to get about 30% off retail on them. I've done some reading, SVS comes to mind. I almost pulled the trigger on the Velodyne 1200r - Others worth considering?

yes, SVS PB12-NSD, Outlaw LFM1-EX, Hsu Research VTF3 all are great $600-700 subs that would easily beat the B&W in terms of extension, output and offer clean bass. There are also a number of newer contenders in Elemental Designs, Epik Subwoofers, the new MFW-15 (do a forum search) from ********** that all compete in this market segment

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-2008, 02:57 PM

The ASW610 is a pretty good sub!!! But the XP is in a whole different legue. This sub has only been is stores in the UK for about 3 days, so listening is pretty much out of the question.

Using it with 683`s will sound ACE (thats BIG ACE)!!!!!
You can`t actully hear the bass, you get a really REALLY deep humm, that you can sort of `feel` in your ears.

I would go for the XP for gaming any day. It is the only cheaper sub that you will see effortlessly shaking and flexing to (halo) games. It has to be seen to be believed!!!!!

But if you are looking for a boomier more powerfull bass go for an SVS or a Klipsch.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 AM

im looking into a 610 or 610XP but reading posts people say all your paying for is the name can you name any other good subs for around about the b&w 610 price mark as i really want a new sub
post #8 of 11 Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 AM

Location: Outside the City limits of Hagertown MD. On the WV side of the Potomac River. With the C&O Canal to ride bikes on.
I brought a XP home yesterday to try out as My 20 year old Velodyne servo 1200 finally had enough and gave up.
I really did not think it would come close to the Velo till I had to pick it up and carry it into the house. This very small sub is heavy 38LBs for a 1 foot sq box and once I had it hooked up to my Onkyo Pre/Pro and put in a DVD ( I only had Hell Boy 2 here at the time) I was very surprised to have my rear wall shaking along with everything in that part of the house. I had just picked up a B&W XTC to go along with my XT4 and XT2 speakers so I had the whole surround matched finally and the XP did a great job of not only carrying it's load but with plenty of power left over. You not only hear this but much more FEEL it. It leaves my old Velo in the dust IMO.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 AM

I run an ASW650 with my pair of 685's and I love the way it sounds. But that's a complete music setup. If I had it on movie duty, I might consider another sub like those mentioned in here.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Location: Outside the City limits of Hagertown MD. On the WV side of the Potomac River. With the C&O Canal to ride bikes on.
I kept the 610 XP for several weeks and while impressed with it I just was missing something. The size of my room 2500 SQ is just to big for 1 610XP and I ran across a pair of the older ASW800, PRE 2002 these are large in size but for the price rock the room with anything I throw at them. they have enough controls on them that they blend very well with the rest of my system. They are 12in. which for the room size are a little big but until I run across something else or get a steal on a pair of 610XPs they will do the job (over due the job). I still think the XPs are a giant step for B&W and the 610s. For a smaller room they would do most people well, if you can get them at a better price the stock which is high compared to other Subs on the market.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
B&W ASW610 vs B&W ASW610xp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone have any experience with the two? I'm leaning toward the XP.

Currently running Denon 3808 and HTM61's.

Room is 15x25, hardwood floors, vaulted ceiling.

33/33/33 on music/movies/gaming

Thanks!!

ASW610

Just put it on lay-away, the boss finally let me. I work with the B&W line and like that 10. It's not super deep or loud (compared to the Def supercubes or Velodynes ) but it's tight. For a small room it would be fine but I'd never use it for a movie sub. It's a good sub for moderate level play and where sound quality is important. I mistakenly bought a pos JBL and I just can't live with it so I'm putting that little B&W on layway.

Warning - We've had all kinds of trouble with the 608. The amps on them are sh!t and one almost caught fire.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page