Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 307 Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post

What about placement... would that affect which subwoofer to buy (ie i want to put it directly under my tv, vs off to the side a little, vs elsewhere) or would that warrant its own thread?

I'd say make your own thread for that...same with the previous poster. Placement is very important, but I think "aesthetics" and "size" pretty much cover "placement" (I went out on a limb when I made this thread and assumed people could measure for themselves to see what subs would fit in certain places ). I guess you might care if a sub is magnetically shielded if you're putting it right next to a CRT TV, but other than that, placement is something you'll have to experiment with and figure out for yourself. You'd be amazed what a difference even subtle changes in placement can make with regard to bass response, but only you can really figure that out after listening and trying different places yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 307 Old 03-04-2008, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
lalakersfan34,

May I suggest that all post except yours at the very first of this thread be removed and then lock the thread.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #33 of 307 Old 03-04-2008, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not a bad idea - guess that's up to the mods, right? Or do I have a say in that?
post #34 of 307 Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
great idea for a thread. I just purchased a Axiom EP 350 sub. The reasons I bought it are in not any order.
1. I didn't want to wait.
2. I'm going to use it as a end table. So the finish was a main factor.
3. I have other Axiom speakers and like the product and the service.
4. I though alot about doing a DYI sub, but I fugured the cost would be about the same. Plus I'm having a hard time understanding sub design.
So 2 week ago when I decided to purchase the Axiom sub I used the same 8 points in the 1 st post to make my decision.
post #35 of 307 Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glad it helped . Enjoy your sub!
post #36 of 307 Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Liked: 10
I want to pair this with a pioneer elite VSX-94TXH. I want good solid performance on this sub. Also can you guys recommend a good site for newbies when it comes to learning the terminolgy and specs i should be looking for when it comes to speakers and subs in general?

Thanks
post #37 of 307 Old 03-19-2008, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Once you've purchased the subwoofer, check here for setup tips and stuff.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004573

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #38 of 307 Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 AM

hi all,

i'm new to this forum but need your assistance in finding a Sub that meets my needs for HT use with some music about 80% HT 20% music. I have a small child so i listen to the system at a medium range with some days at a loud level if my son is at his grandparents.

Following LALAKERSFAN34 rules before posting here goes:

Budget: Under $1000
Woofer size: 10- 12"
Room Size: 14.5' x 25' x 9' around 3250 cubic feet

My current HT consists of:

Pioneer Elite VSX 84 txi A/V receiver with PSB image T5 fronts and a PSB image c40 center and Boston accoustic in-ceiling DSi485 rears.

The T.V is a Samsung LNT-5271

What would you suggest to compliment this system?

pete
post #39 of 307 Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Lets give pete the award for including all the needed information......woops....where's the wife acceptance factor stuff..... take the award back.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #40 of 307 Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM

I'm considering changing powered subwoof (12" big, boxy, shiny black top) placement from corner to center of room under 'proposed' wall mounted flat panel display & then stacking shielded center channel spkr on top of the subwoof; any technical problems to anticipate re electronic or acoustic interference? Thanks for any tho'ts any may have.
post #41 of 307 Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM

probably not ,but bass will sound different without the corner reinforcement
post #42 of 307 Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Great post but i have a question........ I need a sub what kind do i need? it has to Play bass. LOL\\
I have a real question what is a sticky thread?

Mother should I trust the government
post #43 of 307 Old 07-12-2008, 07:53 PM

great post!
post #44 of 307 Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 PM

I have Polk RTIA3's for the front R/L. Polk CSIA5 Center and RTi4's (4ea) rear surround.
1. I have $500 for a sub.
2. My room is small: 18X11X8.
3. The sub can't be any wider than 15". Height and width are not a problem.
4. We watch a lot of movies. But I listen to music at least twice a week.
5. It will be behind a "tower" so I do not care what it looks like.
6. I would like to get it in the next week ot two.
7. My receiver is a Yamaha RX1400.

Any ideas? (If I hijacked this I am sorry).

post #45 of 307 Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Those are all really great things to think about when purchasing a new subwoofer. You definetly have to worry about your budget. My subwoofer cost me $600 but it was well worth it! If you want some more great information go to my Home Theater Subwoofers blog.
post #46 of 307 Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas _Walker View Post

Those are all really great things to think about when purchasing a new subwoofer. You definetly have to worry about your budget. My subwoofer cost me $600 but it was well worth it! If you want some more great information go to my Home Theater Subwoofers blog.

Wow, thanks, a link to a single-page ad for a book. No advice, no recommendations, no actual help. Just an ad for a book.

The Jerk store called, Lucas, and they're out of you.
post #47 of 307 Old 08-22-2008, 08:17 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just setting up a plasma (58 panasonic) with blu ray (also pansonic) and surround sound but am new to all of this.

Will be watching sports/movies/some music - mostly via iPod connection.

Marantz sr4002
PSW100 polk subwoofer 10"
C600IW ADS in wall speakers x 3
C601C ADS in ceiling speakers x 1
rti t2+ remote

Thanks for any suggestions
post #48 of 307 Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent017 View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just setting up a plasma (58 panasonic) with blu ray (also pansonic) and surround sound but am new to all of this.

Marantz sr4002
rti t2+ remote

Hi,

You might want to try starting a new thread. Also, I'm not sure if you're asking for help with system setup and calibration or want assistance in purchasing a new subwoofer. Assuming you want help picking out a new sub, try making a new thread and addressing the criteria on the first post of this thread .

EDIT: I see you did that just a little while ago. Hope we can all help.
post #49 of 307 Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

lalakersfan34,

May I suggest that all post except yours at the very first of this thread be removed and then lock the thread.

+ 1 for this suggestion.
Mods, if you read this, please delete all posts after first post....we already have people asking questions in this thread.

Great job lakersfan...if only you would get a new BB team.
post #50 of 307 Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent017 View Post

Marantz sr4002
rti t2+ remote

Agent017 -

I think you missunderstood my suggestion to you earlier. I was referring you to this thread to read, then provide the details that we need in the thread you initially started. In other words - read the first post of this thread. We will take the information you provide and answer in your own post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #51 of 307 Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM

OK. So I've got a HT (the audio only system is downstairs) with the following:
Room is 15x13x8 that is a 2nd floor landing (so it's open to stairway to 1st fl).
Equipment includes Hales Rev 3 and Hales RevCenter with a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino satellites for rear. The current sub is a Def. Tech. PowerField 1500.
Using an Integra DTC 9.8 (Theta Intrepid amp for non sub speakers). Using Epson projector and screen clearance is about 18" (so this curtails placing a pair of subs at room front, I'm afraid)

Like to keep the cost of the sub under $2k.
Size is not an issue nor WAF. Not worried about looks (hey I use "ugly" open cage tube stuff in my audio system)
This is a dedicated HT.

Goal is effective and accurate low frequency response delivered from source to my ears.

From Craigsub list I was thinking of SVS PB-13 Ultra or similar Epik or ED but I'm not absolutely clear on which of these will work out best, let alone whether I need to even upgrade.

Aside: with my new pre (Integra) I've set it for LFE only (no other low frequency from other channels sent to the sub) with 80hz as low-pass filter (setting the control on the speaker all the way up to 100hz so that I'm avoiding it's electronics getting in the way of messing with the signals.

Not sure these are the right settings but I don't think I'm hearing problems (distortion) in my system. Anyone with insight....please chime in here.

Thanks

Steve Schaffer
post #52 of 307 Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post

OK. So I've got a HT (the audio only system is downstairs) with the following:
Room is 15x13x8 that is a 2nd floor landing (so it's open to stairway to 1st fl).
Equipment includes Hales Rev 3 and Hales RevCenter with a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino satellites for rear. The current sub is a Def. Tech. PowerField 1500.
Using an Integra DTC 9.8 (Theta Intrepid amp for non sub speakers). Using Epson projector and screen clearance is about 18" (so this curtails placing a pair of subs at room front, I'm afraid)

Like to keep the cost of the sub under $2k.
Size is not an issue nor WAF. Not worried about looks (hey I use "ugly" open cage tube stuff in my audio system)
This is a dedicated HT.

Goal is effective and accurate low frequency response delivered from source to my ears.

From Craigsub list I was thinking of SVS PB-13 Ultra or similar Epik or ED but I'm not absolutely clear on which of these will work out best, let alone whether I need to even upgrade.

Aside: with my new pre (Integra) I've set it for LFE only (no other low frequency from other channels sent to the sub) with 80hz as low-pass filter (setting the control on the speaker all the way up to 100hz so that I'm avoiding it's electronics getting in the way of messing with the signals.

Not sure these are the right settings but I don't think I'm hearing problems (distortion) in my system. Anyone with insight....please chime in here.

Thanks

Typically the subwoofer crossover (the one on the sub itself) should be set to the highest frequency possible. I doubt that you setting it at 100 is affecting much if anything, but the Integra should be doing its job at 80hz. Bump that knob on up to maximum which is probably more like 150hz. Then you know it's not affecting the signal at all.

Regarding which offering on the Craigsub list to choose. Within your budget of $2k the Epik Conquest is the way to go performance wise. Wait time is up to about 6 weeks right now, but even for a cost no object subwoofer the Conquest is very tough to beat. If your budget could increase over $2k then the eD A7-900 will give slightly more performance and is on par with the most accurate/musical subwoofers out there. Lead time on the A7-900 is about 5 weeks right now per Chris from eD. Either way you are waiting.

Even though WAF is not a factor, if you decide to go with the A7-900 you should measure your space to make sure you can fit it. It is an absolute monster and weighs over 400lbs.
post #53 of 307 Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the rapid response. Turns out the variable low pass filter is 50-100hz so it's already as far as it will go (100hz).

I'll measure the space needed for the alternatives you describe. My only concern with Epik is their customer support which appears from all I've read as non-existent. I suspect all their $$$'s go into the product, but then if something goes wrong (e.g. an amp, driver, etc.) I wonder how responsive they will be.

Steve Schaffer
post #54 of 307 Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM

I would like to help me make up my mind. I am in the search for a sub. I originally was going to order a Def Tech SC III. Someone in Def Tech Forum Mentioned that I might look at other brands. Such as SVS, Epik or ??123 (sorry not sure abou the name). I was going to go with the Epik Valor out of those three since the Sub has a nice finished look. It is going in my living room. What I am considering is the Epik Valor, maybe a Klipsch RW-12d or a Def Tech SC II(found a great deal online on a new one).

Any thoughts? The sub will be matched up with some Def Tech Mythos Speakers.
post #55 of 307 Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Typically the subwoofer crossover (the one on the sub itself) should be set to the highest frequency possible. I doubt that you setting it at 100 is affecting much if anything, but the Integra should be doing its job at 80hz. Bump that knob on up to maximum which is probably more like 150hz. Then you know it's not affecting the signal at all.

Regarding which offering on the Craigsub list to choose. Within your budget of $2k the Epik Conquest is the way to go performance wise. Wait time is up to about 6 weeks right now, but even for a cost no object subwoofer the Conquest is very tough to beat. If your budget could increase over $2k then the eD A7-900 will give slightly more performance and is on par with the most accurate/musical subwoofers out there. Lead time on the A7-900 is about 5 weeks right now per Chris from eD. Either way you are waiting.

Even though WAF is not a factor, if you decide to go with the A7-900 you should measure your space to make sure you can fit it. It is an absolute monster and weighs over 400lbs.

Looks as though the Conquest would be manageable, but not the ED unit. It wouldn't fit (and I'd probably need piano movers to get it upstairs even if it could fit). I'm still thinking the SVS unit might do the job as well (and again, I'm a tad concerned with Epik customer support).

Steve Schaffer
post #56 of 307 Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2this08 View Post

I would like to help me make up my mind. I am in the search for a sub. I originally was going to order a Def Tech SC III. Someone in Def Tech Forum Mentioned that I might look at other brands. Such as SVS, Epik or ??123 (sorry not sure abou the name). I was going to go with the Epik Valor out of those three since the Sub has a nice finished look. It is going in my living room. What I am considering is the Epik Valor, maybe a Klipsch RW-12d or a Def Tech SC II(found a great deal online on a new one).

Any thoughts? The sub will be matched up with some Def Tech Mythos Speakers.

The SuperCube subwoofers do NOT match their proposed frequency response numbers. In fact the SCII probably only dips down into the 30's in terms of HZ. They list their frequency response, but don't tell you how loud it will be at that frequency. The real number is what we call an F3 or 3db less in loudness from the average response throughout, or in simpler terms what you can hear. So the SCII is a poor choice.

The Valor is a great sub and will meet any home theater needs, and music quite well. Their finish is also quite nice, but they are large. Want something a little more finished? Go with an SVS unit where you can get a real wood veneer. I still like the Epik offerings best for the money though. I evaluated all the options on the market, and ended up settling on an Epik Tower and it is incredible.

I would also pass on the Klipsch subwoofer you mentioned. You can get much better performance for your dollar than Klipsch subwoofers.
post #57 of 307 Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post

Looks as though the Conquest would be manageable, but not the ED unit. It wouldn't fit (and I'd probably need piano movers to get it upstairs even if it could fit). I'm still thinking the SVS unit might do the job as well (and again, I'm a tad concerned with Epik customer support).

I bitched about not receiving "specs" from Epik customer support, but that is really my only complaint. Yes you don't get to talk to someone on the phone frequently, and no they won't update you as to when your subwoofer is going to come in unless you happen to get lucky and catch Karen or Chad on the telephone, and yes I think it's ridiculous. However, everything I have heard about this company's response to damage, bad amp, bad driver, any of that has all been handled very quickly. The good news is that I've only heard of maybe 3 or 4 people out of hundreds who had a problem. Their QC must be very good because I rarely hear of people having issues.

I have to tell you that based on what I've heard if you want ultimate HT performance the Conquest CANNOT be beat for its size in anything else commercially available. The PB13 will give it a run for its money in terms of accuracy on music, but for sheer visceral output the Conquest wins the day and that for me is ultimately what the selling point was for Epik.

YMMV
post #58 of 307 Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I bitched about not receiving "specs" from Epik customer support, but that is really my only complaint. Yes you don't get to talk to someone on the phone frequently, and no they won't update you as to when your subwoofer is going to come in unless you happen to get lucky and catch Karen or Chad on the telephone, and yes I think it's ridiculous. However, everything I have heard about this company's response to damage, bad amp, bad driver, any of that has all been handled very quickly. The good news is that I've only heard of maybe 3 or 4 people out of hundreds who had a problem. Their QC must be very good because I rarely hear of people having issues.

I have to tell you that based on what I've heard if you want ultimate HT performance the Conquest CANNOT be beat for its size in anything else commercially available. The PB13 will give it a run for its money in terms of accuracy on music, but for sheer visceral output the Conquest wins the day and that for me is ultimately what the selling point was for Epik.

YMMV

Went with SVS PB13-Ultra. Should arrive by tomorrow. The notion of buying something other than a toaster or other stand-alone unit without support seems shortsighted, at best. Since last week I've had numerous and extensive emails with numerous people in their organization who have helped me understand not only the basics but more complex issues of dealing with getting a new sub working well in my room. These have included details on the use of the controls on their sub, the placement within my gnarly room, getting the source tones from web sites, and running through testing via SPL meter, understanding the Audyssey process (using an Integra DTC pre), and many other issues.

If you've already been down this road then I say your need for any support is not like mine, but I at least know I've got a company at my back, more than willing to help me get the very best out of my system.

Steve Schaffer
post #59 of 307 Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12
I 'm looking for a sub to complement an Onkyo TX-SR606. Not sure what the other speakers will be yet.
Room size: 16 x 24
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR606
Ps3
xbox 360

Used for
70% blu ray/hd-dvd
30% video games

buget: $400

Xbox Live GT: xxx COKE UP xxx
post #60 of 307 Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygon View Post

I 'm looking for a sub to complement an Onkyo TX-SR606. Not sure what the other speakers will be yet.
Room size: 16 x 24
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR606
Ps3
xbox 360

Used for
70% blu ray/hd-dvd
30% video games

buget: $400

Hi,

Try making your own thread. This thread is sticky so people will see it, but you should make your own separate thread so we can discuss your personal situation.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page