Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 307 Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahavali View Post

i have a samsung ln52a650, xbox360, 2 iq7 towers, and am waiting for suggestions on the other speakers in other forums, i plan on getting a pioneer vsx1018/denon avr 1909.

Budget - $200-300, tax and shipping can be extra

Size -footprint up to 15"

Room Dimension - 13' x 16' x 13'h

Primary uses - 70% Gaming, 30% HT

Listening Habits - volumes in normal levels nothing crazily loud that will disturb the neighbors

Appearance - don't care

Timeframe - open for now

Position - behind tower, or next to TV

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

It's going to be tough to figure out a decent subwoofer that's around $300 and has a 15" or smaller footprint in all directions. The rule is usually that there are three options:

output/extension
small size
low price

Unfortunately, you can only pick two of the three. There are some small subs out there that have decent output, but they cost a good deal more than $300. An example is the SVS SB12 Plus. It has a 15"x14" footprint and has plenty of output for listening in your medium-sized room at moderate levels, but it starts at $699 plus shipping. On the other hand, there are some very respectable performers out there in the $200-400 range but their footprints are a good deal larger than a 15" square (for example, the eD A2-300 has good output and extension for only $350, but its footprint is 18"x21.5").

Please let us know if your size and/or budget requirements are set in stone. I hope we can help you find something that fits your needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 307 Old 02-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Liked: 10
I think this thread is great. I am clueless and all these questions and answers have been really helpful, so here is my setup:

Budget 500 to 750--will go higher
Size doesn't matter
Room size 26x16x8(3328) that opens up to a 36x16 kitchen, the 26
foot wall runs perpendicular to the kitchen
Primary use 60% TV 20%movies 20%music(all kinds and will play fairly
loud at times)
Appearance doesn"t matter
Location in corner of room to the left of plasma on 26 foot wall
plasma faces the open kitchen area sub will be
about 12 to 15 feet from seating positions
Timeframe two weeks can wait if necessary

Plasma 810 elite will be upgrading to 111 soon
DVD Sony uppconverting BR coming soon
Receiver Denon 3806
Speakers Def Tech center Aperion 633 towers
Def Tech Surrounds(2)
Direct TV

I hope this is enough info. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
post #93 of 307 Old 02-08-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think it's great that you are taking the time to help people in selecting a sub. Great thread..

Here's where I need some input;

Currently have a single JL F113 with a second on the way. Plan to add the second one up front with my current F113.

What I'm hoping to acheive is heart pounding extreme LFE. I don't think even a second JL will give me that so I was considering a third sub strictly for the lowest freq. (30hz and below maybe?)

Room is about 12.5ftx21ftx8ft high. (deticated room)

I usually listen at about ref level or ~ +/- 3db from reference.

Room is pretty well treated for first reflection. Plan to add bass traps in the front corners soon.

Budget about $3k-$4k but if you have a solution for less, then great!

90% movies, the rest usually concerts..

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #94 of 307 Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I think it's great that you are taking the time to help people in selecting a sub. Great thread..

Here's where I need some input;

Currently have a single JL F113 with a second on the way. Plan to add the second one up front with my current F113.

What I'm hoping to acheive is heart pounding extreme LFE. I don't think even a second JL will give me that so I was considering a third sub strictly for the lowest freq. (30hz and below maybe?)

Room is about 12.5ftx21ftx8ft high. (deticated room)

I usually listen at about ref level or ~ +/- 3db from reference.

Room is pretty well treated for first reflection. Plan to add bass traps in the front corners soon.

Budget about $3k-$4k but if you have a solution for less, than great!

90% movies, the rest usually concerts..

Hi,

While I do enjoy helping people personally, the goal of this thread wasn't to be a subwoofer help service for people to come to me, the almighty subwoofer guru (trust me, I'm far from it compared to many people here on AVS) for advice. It's designed to help streamline the process. Start by searching the forum to see if you can find some answers that way - I'd venture to say that most of the questions and comparisons people have have already been answered or at least touched on in other threads. If you still don't find anything that helps you in your specific situation, start your own thread and try to address each of the criterion from the first post of this thread. This will help narrow down the recommendations you get. Best of luck

Stephen

P.S. BTW, since you did ask me personally, I'll give a response here. You already have a heck of a subwoofer in the F113. I've never had the pleasure of hearing one, but it is by all accounts I've read a superb performer in a relatively small form factor. However, since you're looking for "heart pounding extreme LFE," there are better ways to get more output for less money. I'm assuming Do-It-Yourself isn't on your radar. If it is, you can achieve ridiculous bass for $4,000 (or even a lot less), and there's a huge DIY Subwoofer forum here with tons of info. However, you could still achieve amazing bass with your budget without going the DIY route. My personal recommendation is to look into the Seaton Submersive. Here's a link to a thread about it:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=1945927

The Submersive uses a high quality amplifier capable of a real 1,000 Watts sustained and dual opposing 15" drivers in a sealed enclosure for around $2,000 plus shipping. It's capable of tons of output and can extend to 10hz and below in most rooms. The Submersive is also said to have excellent sound quality. I'd expect the Submersive to handily best the F113 in upper bass output while widening the gap below 20hz. A pair would probably cost around $4,500 or a tad more after shipping, but I think dual Submersives would offer the "heart pounding LFE" you desire in your ~2,100 cubic foot room. If that's a bit over your budget, you could always sell your F113 to make up for it (though I could understand if it would pain you to part with such a beauty). If I were you, I'd contact Mark Seaton. You can find him on that forum I linked you to or PM him here on AVS (his user name is Mark Seaton). I'm sure there are other viable options, but dual Submersives sounds like the ticket to me. Good luck .
post #95 of 307 Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks Stephen. I'll do some reading on it. Looks interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Hi,

While I do enjoy helping people personally, the goal of this thread wasn't to be a subwoofer help service for people to come to me, the almighty subwoofer guru (trust me, I'm far from it compared to many people here on AVS) for advice. It's designed to help streamline the process. Start by searching the forum to see if you can find some answers that way - I'd venture to say that most of the questions and comparisons people have have already been answered or at least touched on in other threads. If you still don't find anything that helps you in your specific situation, start your own thread and try to address each of the criterion from the first post of this thread. This will help narrow down the recommendations you get. Best of luck

Stephen

P.S. BTW, since you did ask me personally, I'll give a response here. You already have a heck of a subwoofer in the F113. I've never had the pleasure of hearing one, but it is by all accounts I've read a superb performer in a relatively small form factor. However, since you're looking for "heart pounding extreme LFE," there are better ways to get more output for less money. I'm assuming Do-It-Yourself isn't on your radar. If it is, you can achieve ridiculous bass for $4,000 (or even a lot less), and there's a huge DIY Subwoofer forum here with tons of info. However, you could still achieve amazing bass with your budget without going the DIY route. My personal recommendation is to look into the Seaton Submersive. Here's a link to a thread about it:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=1945927

The Submersive uses a high quality amplifier capable of a real 1,000 Watts sustained and dual opposing 15" drivers in a sealed enclosure for around $2,000 plus shipping. It's capable of tons of output and can extend to 10hz and below in most rooms. The Submersive is also said to have excellent sound quality. I'd expect the Submersive to handily best the F113 in upper bass output while widening the gap below 20hz. A pair would probably cost around $4,500 or a tad more after shipping, but I think dual Submersives would offer the "heart pounding LFE" you desire in your ~2,100 cubic foot room. If that's a bit over your budget, you could always sell your F113 to make up for it (though I could understand if it would pain you to part with such a beauty). If I were you, I'd contact Mark Seaton. You can find him on that forum I linked you to or PM him here on AVS (his user name is Mark Seaton). I'm sure there are other viable options, but dual Submersives sounds like the ticket to me. Good luck .

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #96 of 307 Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Thanks Stephen. I'll do some reading on it. Looks interesting..

Keep me posted on any news
post #97 of 307 Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tony,

If you didn't stumble across this yet, here is a thread on Mark Seaton's forum in which a direct comparison is made between the F113 and Submersive. While there are no numbers or graphs, Mark makes a very good case for the Submersive (assuming size and finish aren't hindrances). Just thought it might be interesting.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...ost?id=3184523
post #98 of 307 Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 AM

whats good guys i have a porsche 944 nd i was thinkin about getting two earthquake tremorx-128 subs 1250 watts, Stitched leads, Spring loaded speaker connections, Anti wobble cone construction, TCT Technology (Turbine Cooled Transducer) for high effeciency output, Military grade single 8-Ohm voice coil any suggestions for an amp or for any other subs that would destroy the competition for 700-800 dollars
post #99 of 307 Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
a) Punctuation is your friend (even if you're typing with your thumbs), especially if you'd actually like someone to bother reading this run-on sentence.

b) This forum is for Home Theater subwoofers, not cars.
post #100 of 307 Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 AM

Hey guys, i´m in the process of buying a Subwoofer to compliment my actual setup. I have 4 Monitor Audio BR2 bookshelfs and matching centre channel.

Please take in mind that i live in Argentina, and unfortunately there a lot of brands that are not available here, for example: HSU, SVS, Epik.

1. Your budget. up to u$400 (here i´m going to pay about u$600-650)

2. Size requirements/limits. none, other than it´s a small room, so i cannot accomodate a monster sub.

3. Room dimensions. 11 x 14 feet

4. Primary uses. 65% HT, 35% Music.

5. Listening habits. I do like my volume loud, but nothing excessive.

7. Timeframe. i can only get retail here.

brands that are available in Argentina Polk, Jbl, Monitor Audio, Klipsch, Velodyne.

Some people from a forum here in Argentina recommended me to try the Klipsch Sub10 from the Sinnergy III line. any opinions? recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
post #101 of 307 Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM

I have a Hitachi 70vs810 (it's a rear projection 70" LCD TV).
Denon 1083 receiver which is 7.1
Main: Klipsch KLF30
Center: Klipsch SC-1
4x Klipsch sourround satellite speakers.

Now I have 2 subswoofers.
1) Acoustic Research AR PR1010 (10") in the front next to the main right tower speaker.
2) Klipsch KSW15 (15") closed to the couch on the right side below one of the those satellite surround speakers.

I just wonder if it's better to use one better subswoofer or these two I have currently.
Any suggestions?

1. Your budget. $250-350
2. Size requirements/limits. none
3. Room dimensions. 14 x 18 x 9 feet
5. Listening habits. I do like my volume loud, but nothing excessive.
6. Appearance, none
7. Timeframe, none

Thank you!
post #102 of 307 Old 03-28-2009, 01:13 AM

Hi Guys
I thought you could take a look at this review
Hope it clarify some of the myth.
Thanks

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/subwo...subwoofer.html

All distortion measurements were made within an 80 kHz bandwidth.

At 20 Hz and 100 dB output, THD+N was a little less than 6%, which is terrific performance.

At 40 Hz, distortion dropped to about 2%. Again, this is very good performance.
post #103 of 307 Old 03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Dead link

"Talk to me Goose"
post #104 of 307 Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 PM

Hello, I am just wondering what about be the best sub for someone who has only $100-$160 to spend. I know there aren't many of these cheap subs, but I am just wondering what would be the best. This is going to be connected to a Onkyo TX-SR606

1. Your budget. $100-$160
3. Room dimensions. 10 x 16 x 8 feet
4. Primary uses. 20% Gaming 80% Movies
5. Listening habits. Just average.
6. Appearance, none
7. Timeframe, none
post #105 of 307 Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestring View Post

Hello, I am just wondering what about be the best sub for someone who has only $100-$160 to spend. I know there aren't many of these cheap subs, but I am just wondering what would be the best. This is going to be connected to a Onkyo TX-SR606

1. Your budget. $100-$160
3. Room dimensions. 10 x 16 x 8 feet
4. Primary uses. 20% Gaming 80% Movies
5. Listening habits. Just average.
6. Appearance, none
7. Timeframe, none

Velodyne VX-10
post #106 of 307 Old 06-01-2009, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 186
1. Your budget. Trying to keep it under 130 for everything

2. Size requirements/limits. Doesn't matter really

3. Room dimensions. 12 foot by 10'6"
4. Primary uses. 40 percent gaming 40 percent sports 15 percent movies/tv 5 percent everything else

5. Listening habits. Nowhere near reference levels or anything like that. Adjacent to this room is the main bedroom so at night don't want to wake her and the neighbor's bedroom so don't want to wake them either. I'm not so much looking into extremely loud but I'd like the best quality of sound at the lower levels.

6. Appearance requirements. Doesn't matter

7. Timeframe. As soon as possible but no real rush. I have an old Adcom 555 powering a passive sub for the moment. Not really working out that well though.

8. Search the forum. I tried but so far everyone loves/hates various models and I just can't get a bead on anything. Been looking at the PSW10 and the Dayton. Dayton models seem nice but the shipping and handling is up there.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #107 of 307 Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Just in case anyone is wondering I decided to just upgrade my main setup and move the Paradigm PDR10 into the small room. I purchased the Klipsch XW-500D to replace the main rig in the living room. Got what seemed like a good deal for it at 499.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #108 of 307 Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 AM

Hi,
I got Panasonic TH58PZ800U - 58" Plasma.
I got no audio/video euip other than TV.

I like to get your suggestions

1. Your budget. $1300 including receiver
3. Room dimensions. 14 x 18 feet, vaulted celling. 8feet open to kitchen. 12x10 feet rug covers tile floor
5. Listening habits. I don't like booming sound.
6. Appearance, Very inportant. I (my wife) like to have furniture looking speaker cabinets, especially for sub.
7. Timeframe, in a month
post #109 of 307 Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looking for something to compliment my Klipsch satellites from a Promedia computer set. They have absolutely no low end. Everything is hooked up to a Denon 1909. I am in an apartment on the 2nd floor so I am running a Klipsch KSUB12 at very low gain right now but thinking of returning it and getting something a bit cheaper.

1. Your budget. Under 200
3. Room dimensions. 12 x 20 feet
4. Primary uses. 80% Movies/TV, 20% Music (Classic Rock and Country)
5. Listening habits. Generally keeping things low to moderate. Nothing too loud.
6. Appearance, black
7. Timeframe, none
post #110 of 307 Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 PM

Hi, Does anyone know that subwoofer brand name (XXX)?? I saw this great deal but I was wondering if that brand was good quality also...
thank you.
post #111 of 307 Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM

I have a question regarding sub woofers . I would like to stay under $250.00 use for HT TV
music would be optional , so % wise 75 , 15, 10 respectively . Room is 12X24 although
my 6 speakers are arranged more like 10X16 if that makes any difference .
An 8" or 10" No gaming of any kind . I've yet to replace my AVR and will purchase a
upconverting Blu Ray player . Lighting strike took my Amp , nothing was even on and it was plug strip protected . Big deal it's now dead to !.
Std. Sony DVD player survived as did all my speakers . So new system time . Thanks for suggestions in advance .
post #112 of 307 Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 PM

alright i bought a sub from a shop around me for 140. it was a 10 in jbl gto. it ripped and i got 140 of store credit in return. now the store does not have the same sub anymore and they will do a straight swap to a 10 in w0 jl sub. a 10 w3 jl will cost 120 on top of the 140 credit. or i can get a 12 w1 jl sub from a friend for 40 and keep the 140 credit for something else. the sub is in good condition and it works with my set-up as is. box included. any advice?

1. Your budget. Not sure if i want to spend 120 more
5. Listening habits. I want to play bass loud in my car dont care for the sound outside. like good bass
6. Appearance dont care
7. Timeframe one day\\

Thanks to any help!
post #113 of 307 Old 07-18-2009, 09:38 AM

I'm looking to add a sub to my system. I used to have one but my roommate moved out and it went with him. I watch a lot of action movies and play a lot of first person shooters so I would like a deep bass. Here are my requirements:

Budget: Around $500

Size requirements: none

Room Dimensions: 3,000 cubit feet

Primary uses: 60% HT/ 40% video games

appearance: doesn't matter

timeframe: sooner rather than later

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #114 of 307 Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendog McCoy View Post

I'm looking to add a sub to my system. I used to have one but my roommate moved out and it went with him. I watch a lot of action movies and play a lot of first person shooters so I would like a deep bass. Here are my requirements:

Budget: Around $500

Room Dimensions: 3,000 cubit feet

Primary uses: 60% HT/ 40% video games

appearance: doesn't matter

timeframe: sooner rather than later

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Is your $500 budget your absolute maximum or can you go a bit higher? I don't know what your listening habits are but IMO it might be tough to fill your room with bass for under $500. If $500 is the highest you can go, here are a couple of options:

SVS PB10-NSD ($449 + shipping)
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm
Hsu VTF-1 ($449 + shipping)
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html
eD A2-300 ($350 including shipping)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

A few options open up around the $600-650 range (including shipping) which should be much better considering your somewhat large room:

SVS PB12-NSD or PC12-NSD ($569 + shipping)
https://svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 ($549 + shipping)
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html
eD A3-300 ($550 including shipping)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=102

If you can stretch your budget I think you'll find the latter group of subs will be much more satisfying in your room. Unless you don't listen very loud, the extra power will be very beneficial. There are other options out there but I think these are a good place to start. Good luck.
post #115 of 307 Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Alright, so I checked my size requirements just to be sure and the largest I can go is 16 inches wide (thank you Directv for installing the plug so close to the corner of my room).

In regards to my listening habits, I usually listen to movie loud but not very loud with video games.

What kind of options does that give me? Thanks in advance.
post #116 of 307 Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With your 16" width requirement, these subs are still in the running:

SVS PB10-NSD ($449 + shipping, 15" wide)
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm
Hsu VTF-1 ($449 + shipping, 14" wide)
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html
SVS PC12-NSD ($569 + shipping, 16" wide)
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 ($549 + shipping, 15" wide)
http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

Of these subs, the PC12-NSD and VTF-2 MK3 are much better choices for your 3,000 cubic foot room. They're really worth the extra ~$100 if you can swing it. Of these two the PC12-NSD should win out in sheer output but the VTF-2 MK3 won't be far behind and might be a better choice if the cylinder design isn't your (or your significant other's) cup of tea.
post #117 of 307 Old 07-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Looking to upgrade from my Polk psw10, smacking myself in the head for getting it, but lesson learned I suppose. Looking to get a sub that kicks me in the chest for movies but also sounds good for music too.
Budget: Around $200 to $300

Room Dimensions: 12x22 8' ceilings, opens up to a passthrough to kitchen, but not totally opened. I have hardwood floors as well so not sure if you need to take that into consideration.

Primary uses: 60% HT/ 40% music

appearance: Would like something that looks flashy but that doesnt really matter

Let me know what you all would recommend.
post #118 of 307 Old 07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure you''ll hear from fans of the Premier Acoustic PA-120, BIC F-12, Velodyne VX-10 and various Dayton's as well as the usual, "well, if you spend a little more you can get xxx". LOL As for me, I got a BIC H-100 and am very happy with it. It's in your price range.
post #119 of 307 Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sagboy,

samsurd2's post is spot on. In your price range I think the Bic H-100 and PA-120 are probably your best options. I can't speak to whether a single H-100 or PA-120 will "kick you in the chest" in your ~2100 cubic foot room because I haven't personally heard them. I'd be inclined to believe they'll certainly deliver some measure of tactile bass but may fall short of a "kick in the chest". Still, with $300 as your price limit I think one of those subs would be a great choice. Perhaps samsurd2 could give you more feedback on the Bic H-100's output and SQ capabilities from his own experience . Good luck.
post #120 of 307 Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sagboy - My BIC H-100 is in a room that's pretty much the same volume as yours and is part of a 5.1 set-up that also uses Polk Audio speakers (4 x R150 and 1 x CSR). It replaced an 8" Sony that was the last remnant of a prior HTIB. The day the H-100 was delivered, I tried it out using the first battle scene in the Master and Commander DVD. My seating position is approximately 12 feet from the sub. IMO, definitely "kick in the chest" bass but as I noted, that's in comparison to an 8" sub. That said, even after several months of use, I continue to be very pleased with the SQ. Hope that helps.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page