Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting... - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 307 Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

SVS PB10-NSD ($449) - solid output 20hz (slightly deeper in-room)
SVS PB12-NSD ($569) - strong output to below 20hz (upper teens in-room)
Hsu VTF-1 ($449) - good output to 25hz (closer to 20hz in-room)
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 ($549) - digs to below 20hz (upper teens in-room)
AV123 MFW-15 ($499 on sale) - strong output to ~18hz
eD A2-300 ($350) - output to 20hz
eD A3-300 ($550) - strong output to 20hz
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ($549) - strong output to slightly below 20hz

This is basically the price point I am looking at, although I would also add the PC12-NSD to my list. My room is 18x11 next to a 10x8 dining room and open to a hallway. I would like to keep the size as small as possible due to being in an apartment but don't want to base my decision fully on size. With all that said the PB10 for just under $500 shipped seems to be how I would be leaning off first glance unless people think one of the others is a substantial upgrade.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 307 Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

This is basically the price point I am looking at, although I would also add the PC12-NSD to my list. My room is 18x11 next to a 10x8 dining room and open to a hallway. I would like to keep the size as small as possible due to being in an apartment but don't want to base my decision fully on size. With all that said the PB10 for just under $500 shipped seems to be how I would be leaning off first glance unless people think one of the others is a substantial upgrade.

A PB10-NSD would easily fill a room of that size at moderate levels. If you really want to listen loud you'll probably need something bigger, but since you're in an apartment I think the PB10-NSD is more than enough sub (too much if the neighbors are picky!). I've owned two PB10-NSDs in the past and can tell you it's an excellent sub for the money.
post #153 of 307 Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi John,

Sorry, I have a couple more questions.

First, is your $400 budget firm? If so that's fine. In my humble opinion most $400 subs will be a bit lacking in your 2,000-2,500 cubic foot room, but considering the sub you're coming from it might not be an issue.

Second, how much space is between your doorway and the big entertainment center (in the black box)?

A recommendation I have that fits your $400 budget is the Hsu STF-2. Here's a link to the product:
http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

Hsu subs are known to sound very good with music, which seems to be your main priority. The STF-2 is no king of output, but it should provide some punch while sounding very musical. It can also do a decent job for HT, though it won't be shaking your foundation like a larger sub can.

The STF-2 seems like a good choice for you because it's $349 plus $33 shipping, putting it below your $400 limit. It is also relatively slender, at only 14" wide. Check and see if you can fit a 14" wide subwoofer between your entertainment center and your doorway. If you can, I think it's a great choice.

Like I said, I'd want something a bit more powerful in a room of your size, and if you can afford to step up to something a little larger and more expensive, I'll make more recommendations. However, if your budget is firm at $400 and you have the space (which it looks like you might), the STF-2 looks like a great subwoofer for your needs.

Keep me posted.

Stephen

Stephen,

Thanks a million for your rec - sorry I missed the email alert on this post. To answer your questions, the space you inquire about next to my entertainment center is small (13" square) and in the way of foot traffic if I get a sub much bigger then that. I love your HSU recommendation but I can increase my budget beyond the $ 400. if you have another sub in mind which will you feel I should check out before I pull the trigger on the HSU.

Thanks again, Stephen, for the many great rec's you have provided to me and others on this Forum !

- John
post #154 of 307 Old 09-05-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLosAltos View Post

Stephen,

Thanks a million for your rec - sorry I missed the email alert on this post. To answer your questions, the space you inquire about next to my entertainment center is small (13" square) and in the way of foot traffic if I get a sub much bigger then that. I love your HSU recommendation but I can increase my budget beyond the $ 400. if you have another sub in mind which will you feel I should check out before I pull the trigger on the HSU.

Thanks again, Stephen, for the many great rec's you have provided to me and others on this Forum !

- John

Hi John,

No problem. I was hoping you were still around, though!

What is your current max budget? The issue is that most bang-for-your-buck subs are that way (great bargains) because of size. So if you bump your budget to, say, $600, you can get a much better sub than the STF-2 but the subs will be quite a bit larger. It sounds like the STF-2 is already pushing your size requirements. If there's a way for you to put the sub in one of the back corners of the room, you could get a bigger sub (you just need to figure out how to run the cable from the receiver to the sub). But up in front you won't really get a better sub than the STF-2 that will fit in your space without spending a LOT more money.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Let me know what you think or if there are any new developments.

Stephen
post #155 of 307 Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 AM

Not sure if you ordered yet, but the LFM-1 Compact is only 13" wide [Dimensions: (HxWxD) 16.75" x 13 " x 19 "] and is comparable to the STF-2. Normal price is over your $400 budget, however, they have B Stock (open boxes/returned items - same 3 yr warranty) for $349 + free shipping. I just ordered the LFM-1 EX in B Stock. It's a much larger sub, but if you need a vote of confidence, I'll be sure to post some pics and a review in the Outlaw Owner's thread once I get it.
post #156 of 307 Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen View Post

Not sure if you ordered yet, but the LFM-1 Compact is only 13" wide [Dimensions: (HxWxD) 16.75" x 13 " x 19 "] and is comparable to the STF-2. Normal price is over your $400 budget, however, they have B Stock (open boxes/returned items - same 3 yr warranty) for $349 + free shipping. I just ordered the LFM-1 EX in B Stock. It's a much larger sub, but if you need a vote of confidence, I'll be sure to post some pics and a review in the Outlaw Owner's thread once I get it.

Thanks, Bloodgreen ! I did already order the STF-2 and think it will be great given my space and budget but I appreciate your suggestion ! - John
post #157 of 307 Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Hi John,

No problem. I was hoping you were still around, though!

What is your current max budget? The issue is that most bang-for-your-buck subs are that way (great bargains) because of size. So if you bump your budget to, say, $600, you can get a much better sub than the STF-2 but the subs will be quite a bit larger. It sounds like the STF-2 is already pushing your size requirements. If there's a way for you to put the sub in one of the back corners of the room, you could get a bigger sub (you just need to figure out how to run the cable from the receiver to the sub). But up in front you won't really get a better sub than the STF-2 that will fit in your space without spending a LOT more money.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Let me know what you think or if there are any new developments.

Stephen

Stephen,

Thanks again for your thoughtful recommendation and consideration of alternatives.

Given my space and budget constraints I think your rec is spot on.

Please drop by to hear it yourself any time you are in the SF Bay area - we'll buy the wine !

- John

PS: The next sub I need to need to order is a powered, waterproof
outdoor one - thanks for letting me know if you have any clues
in this very product-limited area
post #158 of 307 Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stephen,

Thanks again for your thoughtful recommendation and consideration of alternatives.

Given my space and budget constraints I think your rec is spot on.

Please drop by to hear it yourself any time you are in the SF Bay area - we'll buy the wine !

- John

Excellent. Keep me posted - I'm curious to know what you think once you get it all set up. It won't take your face off but it should sound good and give you some impact while fitting in that small space. Oh, and pictures are always good

Quote:

PS: The next sub I need to need to order is a powered
outdoor one - thanks for letting me know if you have any clues
in this very product-limited area

Umm...whatever you can find . Seriously, though, unfortunately I don't think I can be much help with that one. I think you might be better off starting a new thread if doing a search of the forum doesn't yield any good results.
post #159 of 307 Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Liked: 11
here is some usefull info, I got this from a different forum

Sealed vs Unsealed subs

"I find it interesting that people are still making the old 'sealed v ported' equals ' music v movies' comparisons.

Virtually every person in this thread (where they are honest enough to state their kit list) is running ported speakers and yet there is no question of their speakers 'musicality' as being lacking as a result. Why is porting assumed to be a purely subwoofer issue?

The truth is that where subs are concerned there are four basic factors that affect 'musicality':

1. A flat in room response. The naturally falling response of a sealed sub may make this easier when balanced with room gain, but a well positioned/EQ'd ported sub can deliver this too. A flat response is important as changes in frequency response result in phase shifts that effect timing. A badly positioned sealed sub that suffers large peaks in the resonse will sound less tuneful and slower than a well positioned/EQ'd ported sub.

2. Impulse response; How quick a sub starts and stops. Remember that above the port tuning frequency a ported sub is effectively sealed due to the ports resistance, so arguments about sealed subs stopping quicker are specious. A ported sub only becomes an open box below the port tuning frequency and if the sub is large enough, then this point is well below 20Hz and only a church organ fetishist will count as being within the musical band. Being ported is not a problem unless the tuning of the port is way below the natural tuning of the box/driver. As a result the attempt to stretch the frequency response of the sub will result in large phase shifts and possibly high distortion too. Good ported subs don't do this.

3. Phase coherence or if you prefer group delay. This is about phase (again) which is the most consistently misunderstood technicality on this forum. As noted, it results from optimistic port tuning, non flat in room frequency response or (and this is a biggy) for some uber sealed sub owners; Internal EQ. No sealed sub delivers a flat response. Below the natural system resonance, the response will tail off at 12dB per octave. If it doesn't, then there is serious internal EQ being applied and this is no better than an optimistic port tuning. External EQ of the subs response can't help either, because it can't compensate for the sub's internal EQ.

4. Distortion. A lot of so-called 'musical' subs produce a hat full of harmonic distortion which sounds (and feels) like a bigger, deeper version of speaker bass. Thus, subs that don't 'sound' like this are dismissed as wrong. People are used to hearing 20Hz as a collection of 40, 60 & 80Hz, second, third and fourth harmonic distortions all of which (being higher frequencies) start and stop quite quickly. A pure 20Hz note by comparison takes 1/20th of a second to even register as a note and thus sounds quite slow. The fact is that low distortion bass sounds immediately like something has gone missing (the distortion you're used to) and slow because it actually is. This alone takes some readjusting and the time should be taken to do so, because this is accurate.

So, to recap; The ideal sub is low distortion, offers a flat in room response, has a deep frequency response without hopeful port tuning or internal EQ and has a smooth phase response. The eagle eyed will have spotted that these are the same requirements for great music or movie reproduction and thus doing one well, does not exclude the other.

These qualities are not the exclusive preserve of sealed or ported subs."

Russell.Williams
AVF Hardware Reviewer
avforums.com

Here are 2 more links

http://www.kicker.com/ported_Enclosure_Pros_and_Cons

http://www.kicker.com/Sealed_Enclosure_Pros_and_Cons

____________________________________________________________ ________________________
New eras don't come about because of swords, they're created by the people who wield them.

"Kenshin Himura"
post #160 of 307 Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

ok i am in the process of buying speakers from aperion, i will be purchasing 2 intimus 5t tower speakers with an intimus 5c center, i only need a 3.1 right now...i need suggestions for a subwoofer, as i dont want the 8d from aperion, i think i can do much better for 500 bucks.....so this is my situation.....my budget is around 500, maybe 600 TOPS.....my room is 3400 square feet, 8 feet high, 17 feet wide and 25 feet long......i will be using this sub for gaming/movies/tv about 90 percent of the time, but i want a sub that sounds good with music too......i would like for it to look nice, but it doesnt have to, and i have no size requirements....i will be purchasing this sub early january...any replies would help, thanks

and if it helps im buying intimus 5t towers with a 5 c center and 5b bookshelfs

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #161 of 307 Old 10-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Liked: 25
Have a chance to pick up a Paradigm PW2200 v1 for $200. I would be putting it in a 25x16x8 room. I know that going with an ID sub would get me more but the budget isn't there. The price on the Paradigm seems decent. Any thoughts? Thanks...
post #162 of 307 Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
CFX

Hello,
I've just recently purchased the Energy Take 5 classic system (one without a subwoofer). I have an old Sony sub from a HTIB I bought 10 years ago, needless to say it needs replacing. I also have a Bose Acoustimass module that was donated to me that I could use as a sub, but experts have referred to this as a bass module and not a real subwoofer. I have also purchased a Pioneer Kuro and VSX receiver so money is running a little low. With your help, I'd appreciate your opinions on what subwoofer is best for my budget, listening, and room size.

My budget is $250 but would prefer not to spend that much. I was originally looking at getting the Energy ESW-8 that is suppose to be paired with the Take 5 classic system, but hey, if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a sub (could be got for $120), why not shop around and get the best for your money? If I spend this much, would it be a significant improvement over a 100 watt peak Sony 10" sub or Bose Acoustimass module?

The subwoofer would be used 99% for movies. It is located in a small living room, about 18x12 ft in size. I imagine an Energy 8" sub would be good enough for this room, but I expect to be moving in the next year or so and would prefer not to upgrade my subwoofer for years to come after this purchase.

I was leaning towards Energy subs, namely the ESW-V8, ESW-C8, ESW-10, and ESW-8. The ESW-V8 can be had for $225. What can I find better than this at the price range, what could I get a lower price range? I'd appreciate your opinions on what I should do with my money

Thanks again,
CFX
post #163 of 307 Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 PM

1. Your budget: $500 to $800

2. Size requirements/limits: none in dedicated room

3. Room dimensions: 15 x 11

4. Primary uses: 90% movies 10% Games

5. Listening habits: around -10 db

6. Appearance requirements: no WAF this is my room.

7. Timeframe: April 2010 (building new house)

8. Currently own: Klipsch PW 10

9. Candidates: Looking at Velodyne 15 DLR-s 1000W, just not really sure yet

I want the best for the budget. I am buying all new gear which includes receiver, towers and center channal and SUB at the moment. Back surrounds I will be using current Klipsch Quintet III's for surronds and back surrounds.

Receiver- looking at Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon.. still undecided.

Towers- I am leaning towards are the Paradigm monitor 7 or sticking with Klipsch

Center- Paradigm or Klipsch

Video will be handled by a new epson 1080p projector with a 106 in fix screen.

Again room isnt huge but it will do and I want to shake the house. Give me your thoughts.

Thanks, J
post #164 of 307 Old 11-23-2009, 06:04 AM

I'm looking to add a sub mostly for music (80% music, 20% movies). The room is roughly 20' by 15' -- I have two Energy RC-50s for fronts, and RCLRC for center, and two Boston Acoustic in-ceiling speakers for rears (only option). I wanted to do something less than $400 or so, and had mostly settled on an HSU STF-2 (10 inch, 200 Watt, $382 shipped). However, I just saw that I can get the Energy ESWV8 Subwoofer on sale at WWStereo for $225 with free shipping...While it is smaller (8 inch) it has the same power at 200 Watts and I'm wondering if it will match the Energy fronts better. The price is obviously very tempting. Any advice???
post #165 of 307 Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Hi all -

Looking for a new sub as my REL Q150e didn't survive my last move.

Budget: ~$1200

Size Requirements: under 3'X3'X3'

Room dimensions: This is for a family room setup that is acoustically unfriendly and is likely about 4000 cubic feet.

Primary uses: Music 25%, Movies 25%, TV 50%

Listening habits: Moderate volumes

Appearance requirements: Low key, but beyond that I'm flexible.

Timeframe: Up to three weeks

If it matters: Powered by Denon 4810ci

Thanks in advance for any recommendations
post #166 of 307 Old 11-26-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a friendly reminder to those who are posting here...

The purpose of this thread is primarily to aid prospective subwoofer buyers in organizing their thoughts in order to:

A) Search the forum and see if other threads pertain to their situations.

B) Start their own threads assuming their searches do not provide adequate guidance.

This thread seems to have become a thread in which people assume I am the only person who may respond to posters' questions. This is far from ideal. Searching the forum is the most important thing you can do. Most of the time you can find at least one thread (likely dozens of threads) which are relevant to your own situation. If for some reason you have more questions which cannot be answered without derailing an existing thread, start a new thread with the rest of the information from the first post filled out. You'll get a lot more help this way, as well as the opinions of many more people - a good deal of whom are significantly more knowledgeable than I.
post #167 of 307 Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Hi Marc,

Glad you decided to get on board here on AVS. It's always good to have perspective from a HT dealer. I hope you continue to participate here and find it an enjoyable experience.

I think your assessment of the subs in question is pretty accurate overall, though I haven't heard them all extensively (and a couple, not at all). The Velodyne should have decent output above 40hz and its EQ can prove beneficial in taming room issues. I owned the Infinity PS212 and I suppose I was fortunate because I had no amp issues. It sounded decent and had good output above 35hz. However, I've read about the amp issues and would be hesitant to buy one now. I haven't heard the other subs much, but your sentiments echo others I have read.

I do have to take issue with the following statement, though:

Perhaps this is the case with subs sold in brick and mortar stores from companies such as Velodyne and Klipsch, but today's internet direct subwoofer industry has a number of <$600 subwoofers that can dig to a real 25hz and below. Here are just a few:

SVS PB10-NSD ($449) - solid output 20hz (slightly deeper in-room)
SVS PB12-NSD ($569) - strong output to below 20hz (upper teens in-room)
Hsu VTF-1 ($449) - good output to 25hz (closer to 20hz in-room)
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 ($549) - digs to below 20hz (upper teens in-room)
AV123 MFW-15 ($499 on sale) - strong output to ~18hz
eD A2-300 ($350) - output to 20hz
eD A3-300 ($550) - strong output to 20hz
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus ($549) - strong output to slightly below 20hz

With the exception of the Hsu VTF-1, all of these subs should be capable of substantial output at 20hz (at least 90dB 2M GP). They also sound quite good (I've heard some of them and previously owned two PB10-NSD's myself), are backed by excellent service, and usually have a ~45 day money back guarantee (though the customer may be out shipping costs).

If you haven't yet had the chance to hear any of these ID offerings, I'd encourage you to get a demo from someone who owns one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised .

Again, welcome to the forum.

Based on this post, would you all agree the MFW-15 seems to be the best subwoofer in it's price range with fantastic output and being one of the cheaper subs in its class?

Im about to pull the trigger on one, pissed I missed out on the holiday sale.... Any other subs I should be looking at outside this list (assuming this list is correct)?
post #168 of 307 Old 01-22-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSurbo15 View Post

Based on this post, would you all agree the MFW-15 seems to be the best subwoofer in it's price range with fantastic output and being one of the cheaper subs in its class?

Im about to pull the trigger on one, pissed I missed out on the holiday sale.... Any other subs I should be looking at outside this list (assuming this list is correct)?

I want to wash my hands of any MFW-15 recommendations and/or opinions. I've never heard one and the debate on this forum regarding the MFW-15 can get pretty heated. It seems that it's a great deal if it works. I'll leave it at that. If you're interested about reading more about the controversial aspects of the sub, simply point and click on a couple of the MFW-15 threads and you'll get more than you can possibly want to read.

What's your actual budget? The subs I already listed are generally considered some of the best in the ~$600 and under price range, but some other great subs are available if the budget is a bit higher.
post #169 of 307 Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I want to wash my hands of any MFW-15 recommendations and/or opinions. I've never heard one and the debate on this forum regarding the MFW-15 can get pretty heated. It seems that it's a great deal if it works. I'll leave it at that. If you're interested about reading more about the controversial aspects of the sub, simply point and click on a couple of the MFW-15 threads and you'll get more than you can possibly want to read.

What's your actual budget? The subs I already listed are generally considered some of the best in the ~$600 and under price range, but some other great subs are available if the budget is a bit higher.

I want to keep it under $600, i'm sure GREAT performance is achievable at that price point.

I don't need my subwoofer to be able to go down to 12 hz at 105 db, I want SOLID 20 hz frequency at 75db, 85 db at the most.
post #170 of 307 Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 AM

Anyone has any information on Reel subwoofers? R they any good?
post #171 of 307 Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 AM

After getting your short-list of recommendations in the sub-$400 price-range, I was able to do some more research and finally settled on the eD A2-300. I'm expecting it around the end of the month. Thanks for the assistance.
post #172 of 307 Old 02-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSurbo15 View Post

I want to keep it under $600, i'm sure GREAT performance is achievable at that price point.

I don't need my subwoofer to be able to go down to 12 hz at 105 db, I want SOLID 20 hz frequency at 75db, 85 db at the most.

Is the Epik Valor discontinued? Couldn't find it on their site.
post #173 of 307 Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoose View Post

After getting your short-list of recommendations in the sub-$400 price-range, I was able to do some more research and finally settled on the eD A2-300. I'm expecting it around the end of the month. Thanks for the assistance.

You're welcome. Hope it works out well for you. Looks like you ordered it at just about the right time. According to a new entry in eD's blog, the price of the A2-300 will be increasing to $415 beginning on March 9. Enjoy your new sub, and post back with some impressions .
post #174 of 307 Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojoed View Post

Is the Epik Valor discontinued? Couldn't find it on their site.

Yes, the Valor is discontinued. In fact, the line that replaced the Valor and other original Epik subs is also discontinued. Currently, the only subwoofer Epik produces is the Empire. The Empire is a sealed subwoofer with two 15" drivers and a 600W amplifier. Current introductory pricing is $799 for one Empire or $1499 for two (plus shipping).
post #175 of 307 Old 03-09-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Upgrading from a old piece of crap sub that I won't even name. Due to size limitations I have narrowed my choices down to a SVS PB10-NSD or a HSU VTF-1. This is not my primary HT, but I am upgrading the sound in our upstairs which is wide open. Large room so a bigger sub would have been better but limited on size due to location and wife. Onkyo 705 will be driving it for now, running 7.1 system, about 50/50 on use for movies/music. Any input on one vs. the other would be appreciated - I am suffering from research overload. Trust me when I say despite these two choices being small subs, coming from what I have either one will be a significant improvement. Leaning SVS based on research. Thanks in advance for any input.
post #176 of 307 Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM

1. Your budget. ~$300

2. Size requirements/limits. None

3. Room dimensions. 10x12x8

4. Primary uses. 90% HT 5% Games 5% music

5. Listening habits. Not too high of volumes

6. Appearance requirements. Don't care

7. Timeframe. Sooner the better

I was on the order for a f12, but I canceled it because of the wait time getting pushed back. Too bad the a2-300 has gone up in price, because I would order it.

So now I am looking at the a2-250 or pl-200 or .... Maybe go back to the f12.

I don't need anything that is super loud, but the lower and tighter the better.

edit: Went with the h100.
post #177 of 307 Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Upgrading from a old piece of crap sub that I won't even name. Due to size limitations I have narrowed my choices down to a SVS PB10-NSD or a HSU VTF-1. This is not my primary HT, but I am upgrading the sound in our upstairs which is wide open. Large room so a bigger sub would have been better but limited on size due to location and wife. Onkyo 705 will be driving it for now, running 7.1 system, about 50/50 on use for movies/music. Any input on one vs. the other would be appreciated - I am suffering from research overload. Trust me when I say despite these two choices being small subs, coming from what I have either one will be a significant improvement. Leaning SVS based on research. Thanks in advance for any input.

Both the PB10-NSD and VTF-1 are quality subs from great companies. I've owned the PB10-NSD in the past and it's an excellent performer for <$500. I will say that it's better for HT than music. It's not that it's bad with music, but it doesn't compare to some other (admittedly more expensive) subs I've heard. I haven't heard the Hsu but they have a reputation for sounding great with music and still having the guts to provide an impressive HT experience. They're both good choices and it's hard to go wrong with either.
post #178 of 307 Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamac_man View Post

1. Your budget. ~$300

2. Size requirements/limits. None

3. Room dimensions. 10x12x8

4. Primary uses. 90% HT 5% Games 5% music

7. Timeframe. Sooner the better

I was on the order for a f12, but I canceled it because of the wait time getting pushed back. Too bad the a2-300 has gone up in price, because I would order it.

So now I am looking at the a2-250 or pl-200 or .... Maybe go back to the f12.

I don't need anything that is super loud, but the lower and tighter the better.

edit: Went with the h100.

Sorry nobody came in to reply earlier. You'll usually have better luck if you create your own thread, using the questions in the first post of this thread as a template for how to organize your first post. It seems nobody posts replies here but me (certainly not my intent when I created this thread, but it's how it's turned out), so creating your own thread will get you a lot more responses.

That said, congrats on the Bic. It's very well regarded around here at its price point. Enjoy.
post #179 of 307 Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM

you guys might want to check out ebay right now for the used SVS PB10-NSD ending soon. Just a tip in case you want to keep some scratch.
Joe
post #180 of 307 Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM

1. Your budget. ~$150-200

2. Size requirements/limits. Smaller footprnt the better. Maybe 1'

3. Room dimensions. 10x14x8

4. Primary uses. 10% HT 90% Games

7. Timeframe. none.

Using a HK avr146, polk r50, and polk csr center. Mainly just playing games and occasionally watching movies. I dont have too much space for the sub, and I really happy with the current setup, without the sub. But now Im just looking for a bit of umph
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page