Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 307 Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i Still say KICKERS FOR THE WIN But Jl AUDIO CAN TAKE A POUNDING one JL 8' 3000 watts max thats alot but its 800$ for one 8' lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 307 Old 04-09-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Umm...ok?
post #183 of 307 Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker KID View Post

i Still say KICKERS FOR THE WIN But Jl AUDIO CAN TAKE A POUNDING one JL 8' 3000 watts max thats alot but its 800$ for one 8' lol

"Watts" in itself doesnt make bass. And normally a sub that needs that much power to move is going to be inefficient. What makes bass is cone displacement and Xmax. So an 8" sub driver for $800 isn't what I would call a bargain at all..........
post #184 of 307 Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker KID View Post

So true!

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #185 of 307 Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
1. Your budget: $5000 to $10,000 for 2 or 3 subs

2. Size requirements/limits: none in dedicated room. I would like the lowest distortion possible for music, yet hit you in the chest feel for movies

3. Room dimensions: 26 X 17 X 9/10

4. Primary uses: 75% movies 25% Music

5. Listening habits: varies

6. Appearance requirements: none, behind screen Would prefer rack mounted amps

7. Timeframe: Nov/Dec 2010 (building new house)

8. Currently own: Velodyne DD-12
post #186 of 307 Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

1. Your budget: $5000 to $10,000 for 2 or 3 subs

2. Size requirements/limits: none in dedicated room. I would like the lowest distortion possible for music, yet hit you in the chest feel for movies

3. Room dimensions: 26 X 17 X 9/10

4. Primary uses: 75% movies 25% Music

5. Listening habits: varies

6. Appearance requirements: none, behind screen Would prefer rack mounted amps

7. Timeframe: Nov/Dec 2010 (building new house)

8. Currently own: Velodyne DD-12

Wow, that's quite a budget you have there.

With a budget like that and a focus on low-distortion musical bass I'd look into 2-3 Seaton Submersives (a bit over $2,000 apiece - Mark Seaton's forum is HERE if you want to check it out) or perhaps four Rythmik F-15's or D-15SE's (these range between $900-$1300 apiece). These subs should sound superb for music while still offering a lot of slam for home theater.

The only thing you might not like is that they have built-in amplifiers. I'd probably lean toward four (or more) Rythmiks. They use a special servo amplifier to keep distortion low, and four 15" drivers ought to offer plenty of output. Even one should match or exceed the output of your DD-12. Four should be a WHOLE lot of fun .
post #187 of 307 Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Wow, that's quite a budget you have there.

With a budget like that and a focus on low-distortion musical bass I'd look into 2-3 Seaton Submersives (a bit over $2,000 apiece - Mark Seaton's forum is HERE if you want to check it out) or perhaps four Rythmik F-15's or D-15SE's (these range between $900-$1300 apiece). These subs should sound superb for music while still offering a lot of slam for home theater.

The only thing you might not like is that they have built-in amplifiers. I'd probably lean toward four (or more) Rythmiks. They use a special servo amplifier to keep distortion low, and four 15" drivers ought to offer plenty of output. Even one should match or exceed the output of your DD-12. Four should be a WHOLE lot of fun .

Thanks for the follow up.......

Why not the Velodyne DD-18 or DD-15? Both can be had at extended discount, besides I love my five year old DD-12.

I find it interesting......... I've spent the last 4-5 months auditioning speakers and the DD-18 out shined every sub I've listened to including the JL Fathom, all B & W and Paradigm sub offerings.

Granted, I've never listened to any of the internet company subs therefore I have no basis to judge........all I can do is take someone's word for it. Not a good place to be in...........

I will check out your suggestions ............is the Seaton Submersive really that impressive? How does the Submersive compare to the DD-18 in SQ, I'm not too concerned with regard to SPL. Granted the DD-18's wont dig deep, but above 20 hz, they are incredible! On another note........I wonder if Mark Seaton can make a passive Submersive? Passive Submersive? Oxymoron? Just asking............

Thanks.............
post #188 of 307 Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Dear friends, I finally decided joining this community. Sorry for my english as it is not my first language.

I am buying my home theater nowadays and I just got my stunning pair of Klipsch RF63. I am looking now for a good subwoofer to fit. I thought of the rsw-10d klipsch (10" 500W rms 24Hz) but they are not selling that model anymore so I need advice in any other option. Actually, I dont even have a receiver yet as I am waiting for the Onkyo SR608 to arrive to Guatemala (7.2+100W; 3DReady).

As I live in Guatemala, my choices are reduced to:

1) Klipsch; 2) Polk; 3) JBL; 4)Jamo; 5)Bose (yes they are everywere); 6) PSB; 7) Harman Kardon 8) Onkyo;

My requeriments are: The smaller the better; The lower Hz the better; about 1000 USD; wife's factor: good looking sub.

Thank you very much for your advice and opinions!
post #189 of 307 Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atapia View Post

Dear friends, I finally decided joining this community. Sorry for my english as it is not my first language.

I am buying my home theater nowadays and I just got my stunning pair of Klipsch RF63. I am looking now for a good subwoofer to fit. I thought of the rsw-10d klipsch (10" 500W rms 24Hz) but they are not selling that model anymore so I need advice in any other option. Actually, I dont even have a receiver yet as I am waiting for the Onkyo SR608 to arrive to Guatemala (7.2+100W; 3DReady).

As I live in Guatemala, my choices are reduced to:

1) Klipsch; 2) Polk; 3) JBL; 4)Jamo; 5)Bose (yes they are everywere); 6) PSB; 7) Harman Kardon 8) Onkyo;

My requeriments are: The smaller the better; The lower Hz the better; about 1000 USD; wife's factor: good looking sub.

Thank you very much for your advice and opinions!

Hi atapia,

Welcome to AVS. My recommendation would be to start your own thread here in the Subwoofer section. This thread was designed primarily to have the first post listed so people would answer some basic requirements when looking for help instead of simply saying "Recommend me a good sub". Assuming your questions aren't already answered elsewhere on the forum, you should make your own thread. Nobody seems to check this thread to give advice, so you'll get a lot more help if you make your own. Good luck.
post #190 of 307 Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 AM

Your budget: $750 - $1000 (flexible)

2. Size requirements/limits: Nothing really. Going to sit on a floor in small HT

3. Room dimensions: 12 x 20 x 8

4. Primary uses: 90% movies and sports... 10% Music

5. Listening habits: Beginner, but want "higher end quality" sound for movies, tv and sports

6. Appearance requirements: Preferably nice appearance. Going to be out in the open.

7. Timeframe: Football season (Sept '10)

8. Currently own: Nothing. In process of building HT now.

I am teetering back and forth between dual Epik Legends versus the Rythmik F12 (signature), but I really don't know much about subs to make an informed decision. That's where you guys come in!!!
Not sure if makes any difference, but my receiver is the Denon AVR-4810ci and I am running the DefTech Mythos Series speakers (Mythos Ones... not the STS)

thanks for any help!

Currently in the "Design" Phase of my new Theater build

He who buys cheap, buys twice
post #191 of 307 Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana View Post

Your budget: $750 - $1000 (flexible)

2. Size requirements/limits: Nothing really. Going to sit on a floor in small HT

3. Room dimensions: 12 x 20 x 8

4. Primary uses: 90% movies and sports... 10% Music

5. Listening habits: Beginner, but want "higher end quality" sound for movies, tv and sports

6. Appearance requirements: Preferably nice appearance. Going to be out in the open.

7. Timeframe: Football season (Sept '10)

8. Currently own: Nothing. In process of building HT now.

I am teetering back and forth between dual Epik Legends versus the Rythmik F12 (signature), but I really don't know much about subs to make an informed decision. That's where you guys come in!!!
Not sure if makes any difference, but my receiver is the Denon AVR-4810ci and I am running the DefTech Mythos Series speakers (Mythos Ones... not the STS)

thanks for any help!

The Epik Legend has not yet been released so we don't have any performance numbers (or even listening comparisons) on it. The Rythmik has decent midbass output and digs pretty deep (though I'd doubt it can do so at very high output levels). This is a guess, but I would assume that a single Legend would match or slightly exceed the F12 in midbass but the F12 would go lower and possibly have a slight edge in articulation (both subs should be great in that area, though). Two Legends should easily outperform the F12 in midbass slam, though the F12 will still go lower. Two subs can also improve bass response in the room by smoothing out peaks and nulls.

I would probably lean toward two Legends instead of a single F12. The only potential strike against the Legends is that it (possibly) will be a mediocre deep bass performer, but nobody knows yet. It would be good to know how deep the Legend can really go. I'd be hesitant to recommend it if it doesn't get below 25hz or so, but if it gets into the 15-20hz range with authority it would be more than sufficient for most home theater material.

If you're looking more toward a single subwoofer, I'd suggest considering the Epik Empire (dual 15" drivers, 600W amp vs. the Legend's dual 12" drivers, 300W amp) or the Rythmik F15 (15" driver vs. the F12's 12" driver). I'd compare these in a similar way as my comparison of the Legend/F12. The Empire should best the F15 in midbass, but in the deepest bass (below 20hz or so) the Rythmik might pull ahead a bit.

Good luck. There are certainly more subs out there than just these few models. Keep us posted.
post #192 of 307 Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Thanks for dropping some knowlege on me. Very helpful. I was leaning more towards one Empire about a week ago, but then thought that might be overkill for my small room?

As for other models you might recommend, please throw them at me. I am a complete sub noob. I'm coming from an old Sony theater in a box that is being demoted to the family room. So many choices out there, I really don't know where to begin. again... many thanks.

Currently in the "Design" Phase of my new Theater build

He who buys cheap, buys twice
post #193 of 307 Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana View Post

Thanks for dropping some knowlege on me. Very helpful. I was leaning more towards one Empire about a week ago, but then thought that might be overkill for my small room?

As for other models you might recommend, please throw them at me. I am a complete sub noob. I'm coming from an old Sony theater in a box that is being demoted to the family room. So many choices out there, I really don't know where to begin. again... many thanks.

Don't worry about "overkill". The Empire would just give you plenty of headroom, and the peace of mind that you probably won't be left wanting more. The worst thing you can do is upgrade to a sub that you hope might barely meet your requirements, because before you know it you'll find yourself buying another sub. It's better to get plenty of sub now and not have to worry about "what if?" syndrome. Though to be fair, just about anything will make you ecstatic compared to a Sony HTIB subwoofer (I can say that because I've owned one in the past ).

I'd also look into SVS (both the NSD and Plus lines) and Hsu (VTF3 MK3). Elemental Designs also has some popular subs, though they seem to be backlogged like crazy right now. I've personally owned SVS subs in the past and they offer excellent products with top notch customer service. I currently own an older model Epik subwoofer and I think right now it's hard to beat Epik in the price/performance category. But subs from any of these companies would be great additions to your theater.
post #194 of 307 Old 07-15-2010, 06:26 PM

Dear All,

I saw that some subwoofers can serve as a audio receiver and those have audio outputs for the speakers. Where should I ask about those sub? Is it here or is it in the HTIB forum?

Thanks a lot,

Jose
post #195 of 307 Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM

Is there a cheap system or subwoofer with HDMI in? I don't want to pass-trhough the HDMI audio and less than ever connect it to a TV or such a sh...
I don't need a big and expensive receiver that eats power and takes space, I would prefer an integrated solution. Just need a small device with a HDMI interface that interprets audio, or at least a device that accepts several PCM streams as front, rear, center/sub
post #196 of 307 Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM

1. Your budget. <$5000

2. Size requirements/limits. F113 is the absolute largest I can use to conceal within my hearth. I was considering a pair of these (had one previously and like it). I was also considering a pair of the new Triad Gold In Room DSP subs but with the rack amps so I could build my hearth a little shallower even across the screen wall. These would also be cheap enough I could probably swing a pair of Triad In Ceiling Bronze 10's for a few feet behind the listening position (probably near my in ceiling surrounds). I could also go with 3 in room silver DSP subs in place of the 2 gold in room dsp's.

3. Room dimensions. 14'x35', but the actual listening room where I can place things is more like 14'x14' or so (it's one big open room). Ceiling heights are JUST under 8', so it's a fairly small room.

4. Primary uses. Almost entirely home theater.

5. Listening habits. Generally at reasonable volume levels, but every once in a while I have a chance to use it when no one is home and it gets cranked up!

6. Appearance requirements. Doesn't matter as they will be concealed in a stone hearth with just a black GOM grill over the front to cover them.

7. Timeframe. We close on the new home early August so I will order then. I need them probably within 6-8 weeks of order.

If I go the JL Route I will probably buy used. If I go Triad I will buy new. I am hoping to get some other suggestions for my situation to get the best in room level response.
post #197 of 307 Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 PM

1. Your budget: <$500

2. Size requirements/limits: Smaller is better.

3. Room dimensions: 12'x18'x12'h

4. Primary uses: 50%/50% Music/HT. Care more about accuracy and music quality than HT explosions that shake the room.

5. Listening habits: Lower volume as I live in an old apartment building and cannot have complaints.

6. Appearance requirements: Smaller is better, but will likely be out of sight for the most part.

7. Timeframe: Next 6 weeks.

8. Currently own: Nothing yet, but will pair the sub with Aperion 4T, 4C setup.

Thinking about the Aperion 8D to match the speakers, but looking for wiser input from the members here.
post #198 of 307 Old 09-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Hello everyone.

Trying to find a replacement for my Klipsch subwoofer where the amplifier died. I contacted Klipsch and it is $100 bucks to repair (and that includes me taking it apart and sending it to them), so I am thinking it might be better just to look for a replacement:

1. Your budget. Under $300

2. Size requirements/limits. Does not matter, 8" or 10" (assuming I understand the question correctly )

3. Room dimensions. 10 x 30 x 10H (big open room with living room and kitchen eating area are combined)

4. Primary uses. 90% HT, 10% music listening.

5. Listening habits. Do not watch movies on a very high volume level, due to the possibility of waking the kids. Would like something that is nice, but does not shake the house and wake up my kids. Lots of shaking is not a requirement, but hearing the base would be nice (dont hear anything right now)

6. Appearance requirements. None.

7. Timeframe. - Within the next 2 months.

Thanks for the help.
post #199 of 307 Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
1. Your budget: $2,000ish

2. Size requirements/limits: None.

3. Room dimensions: 18 x 16 x 8 (L x W x H) however, one side of the room opens up to half of my 2nd story of my house (half wall on that side of the room...the room is a loft basically)

4. Primary uses: 80% Movies 20% Gaming

5. Listening habits: Random

6. Appearance requirements: None.

7. Timeframe: ASAP

8. Currently own: HSU VTF3-MK2 (currently for sale on Craigslist and A'gon)

9. Prospects: Either want Dual Empires or Dual Rythmik F15HP or something else some1 can recommend around my budget that rocks. I like watching my movies with the volume cranked...

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
post #200 of 307 Old 10-12-2010, 02:01 PM

I was looking at the Epic models. I like the price points.
Anybody have a opinion about the Velodyne DD12's?
For $200 more I could get two Empires, and add the SMS1 later on
post #201 of 307 Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Steve View Post

I was looking at the Epic models. I like the price points.
Anybody have a opinion about the Velodyne DD12's?
For $200 more I could get two Empires, and add the SMS1 later on

I ended up going that route (2 Empires)...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!! My pre/pro's Audyssey MultEQ XT did a good job and they rock in my room.

I have heard a DD15 before but not 2 DD12s. The DD15 sounded really good IMO, but I cannot comment on 2 DD12s as I have not heard a setup like that. I am sure it would sound really awesome though. Just my 2 cents...

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
post #202 of 307 Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Thanks for the follow up.......

Why not the Velodyne DD-18 or DD-15? Both can be had at extended discount, besides I love my five year old DD-12.

I find it interesting......... I've spent the last 4-5 months auditioning speakers and the DD-18 out shined every sub I've listened to including the JL Fathom, all B & W and Paradigm sub offerings.

Granted, I've never listened to any of the internet company subs therefore I have no basis to judge........all I can do is take someone's word for it. Not a good place to be in...........

I will check out your suggestions ............is the Seaton Submersive really that impressive? How does the Submersive compare to the DD-18 in SQ, I'm not too concerned with regard to SPL. Granted the DD-18's wont dig deep, but above 20 hz, they are incredible! On another note........I wonder if Mark Seaton can make a passive Submersive? Passive Submersive? Oxymoron? Just asking............

Thanks.............

Hi there take a look at these subs theres the ULS-15 QuadDrive as well or 4 epik empires, paradigm sub25 or sub2 and of course submersive 2 or 3

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15quaddrive.html
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/dualempire.html
http://www.paradigm.com/index.php?op...d=117&Itemid=2
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post?id=3364736

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #203 of 307 Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM

No, I'm comparing the price. Two Empire's for $1499.00 vs. one DD12 at $1299.00 Maple or $1678.08 black. More if I go bigger. And I can always add the SMS-1 later, and still be under the price of a DD15.
post #204 of 307 Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 AM

Looking to upgrade my sub within the next month and right now leaning heavily towards the Bic Acoustech PL-200. Seems like a real good bang for the buck. Currently I am only using a Denon 8” sub that came with a HTIB. Also, I will be placing this in the rear by my couch and back wall, so I don’t know if front or down firing would be any kind of advantage as far as placement goes (see picture, bottom left where the little end table is)...

1. Your budget: Currently I am looking in and around $300 range. But of course, if there is a much better sub for a little more, then by all means I’ll consider it.

2. Size requirements/limits: No size restrictions as far as sub goes. Actually wish it was big enough to be an end table size

3. Room dimensions: Looking to “fill” an open floor plan that is open downstairs to living room, kitchen and hallways. The primary room though is 10’x20’x8’. (see picture)

4. Primary uses: I would say it will be used for 60% TV/HT, 30% Music, and 10% gaming.

5. Listening habits: Need something that digs fairly deep as I love my bass. On the other hand, I live in a townhouse, and I will rarely if at all listen at reference levels. I also do not want to “outgrow” the sub, but I know how it usually goes…always looking for something bigger and better. Just need it to satisfy me for a while.

6. Appearance requirements: Appearance doesn’t really matter, however it will be placed beside my main sofa.

7. Timeframe: Looking to buy within a month.

A few subs that I am looking at:

Bic Acoustech PL-200 (top choice right now, based on paper stats)
Hsu Research STF-2 or VTF-1
Lava LSP12
Epik Legend (pretty much out of price range)
Emotiva Ultra Sub 10
SVS PB10 (once again, pretty much out of price range)
ED A3s-250 or A2-300

To me, I think any sub that I go with will be a big step of from what I currently have….Thanks for your help!
LL
post #205 of 307 Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 AM

Velodyne seems to have lost their mojo. Years ago, the F series rocked in terms of accuracy, good looks, speed and ability to blend. When home theater became more in vogue, the CHT series, despite their grainy cheap black finish, provided good punch for the money. Later on, the HGS kicked some serious bass for the size, all the while looking hot. Now, however, their drivers are looking unimpressive, still sticking with foam surrounds and ordinary cones. Also, spending money on preset EQ's and remotes are kind of neat, but provide nothing in terms of quality, just convenience. Heck, my boomboxes Kenwood SW-1050 had a remote with presents ten years ago for $200. Those just aren't selling points. The newer DLS line looks good, but is pricey compared to SVS. The DEQ line needs some serious upgrading in the looks department, along with the Optimum series. Velodyne has too many lines, spreading themselves too thin, with Impact lines and VRP lines, etc. What they need is a good $650 sub to compete with SVS's new SB12-NSD. A sub that reeks cool. One that exudes a "Gotta have it" quality. It's sad to see what was once a leader in the field, along with the now deceased M&K, struggling to find their niche, loosing their competitive edge. Time to thin out the herd. Keep the DD series, merge the Optimum and DEQ lines. Totally lose the MicroVee, MiniVee, Impact and VX lines. Narrow the in-room sub line to three distinct lines, without the cheap ones at Fry's. Regain the leadership position they once held. At the recent Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, a serious show with dozens of really nice retailers, Velodyne appeared to only have the Optimum 12 on display. It looked small, insignificant, it's presence less noticed that some of the speaker cables or interconnects being used. Not much of a presence, at all. A shame.

Still Rockin'
post #206 of 307 Old 11-06-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm looking for a sub with my bedroom setup. This a 12x 15 bedroom with a Pioneer 1120k receiver, Klipsch RF63 towers, RC52 center and RS42 rears.

I'm looking for a sub that is around 15x15" maybe a little bigger as i am tight on room. The smaller Elemental Designs seem to be on the top of my list.

This is for movies only on 3 of my Pioneer Elite DVD players, DV-37, DV-59 AVI and a 05 FD Blueray player.

What would you guys pick?

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #207 of 307 Old 11-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Don't obsess about "music" only or "movie" only subs. The way around this man-made dilemma is to buy the fastest, most responsive sub you can get. Sealed designs don't have the sheer decibel output of ported designs, but they are accurate by nature. Many of the new smaller units will, with internal EQ built into the amps, go down to 20hz. quite nicely. In my bedroom, I've got an SVS SB12-Plus. It's a sealed 12", and works great on music, TV and DVD's. Personally, I like a 12" driver, but I'm a known bass hog. Are you referring to the Elemental Designs A3S - 250? It's got a sharp looking driver with a rubber surround, sealed design for speed, compact size and goes down to a respectable 25 hertz. But consider another factor: It's built here in the states, assembled in Iowa by Americans. For me, that's a fairly important consideration. Getting top quality and keeping people working at the same time? Deal. SVS, HSU, Elemental Designs, all good.

For the record:
Buying something made overseas can be a pain. I've got a new Infinity Cascade 15 Cherry, and the amp has issues. Harman International made me haul the thing to a repair shop some 70 miles away, and then go pick it up a month later, and it's still got amp issues. Two rounds trips worth of gas and time, tying up two Saturdays, and out of service for a month. Not happy with Harman International products OR their personnel. Wish I'd bought American from a company with phones here that actually get answered. You learn from your mistakes. It's not the old JBL or Infinity anymore. Stay away!

Still Rockin'
post #208 of 307 Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofernut View Post
Don't obsess about "music" only or "movie" only subs. The way around this man-made dilemma is to buy the fastest, most responsive sub you can get. Sealed designs don't have the sheer decibel output of ported designs, but they are accurate by nature. Many of the new smaller units will, with internal EQ built into the amps, go down to 20hz. quite nicely. In my bedroom, I've got an SVS SB12-Plus. It's a sealed 12", and works great on music, TV and DVD's. Personally, I like a 12" driver, but I'm a known bass hog. Are you referring to the Elemental Designs A3S - 250? It's got a sharp looking driver with a rubber surround, sealed design for speed, compact size and goes down to a respectable 25 hertz. But consider another factor: It's built here in the states, assembled in Iowa by Americans. For me, that's a fairly important consideration. Getting top quality and keeping people working at the same time? Deal. SVS, HSU, Elemental Designs, all good.

For the record:
Buying something made overseas can be a pain. I've got a new Infinity Cascade 15 Cherry, and the amp has issues. Harman International made me haul the thing to a repair shop some 70 miles away, and then go pick it up a month later, and it's still got amp issues. Two rounds trips worth of gas and time, tying up two Saturdays, and out of service for a month. Not happy with Harman International products OR their personnel. Wish I'd bought American from a company with phones here that actually get answered. You learn from your mistakes. It's not the old JBL or Infinity anymore. Stay away!
The ED A3S-250 is on the top of my list at this time.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #209 of 307 Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Need some help with this pls but first off, i live in China and i don't have access to all the direct sales american made subs, prices here will be almost double of what they are in the US so choices are limited:

Am planning my upgrade and am looking a surround set of either Swans 6.1/6.2 or KEF IQ90...

And am thinking to go either with 2 smaller subs or one bigger one

this is the Swans Sub10V...2300rmb (345 USD)

http://swanspeaker.com/products/prod...ngle=subwoofer

This is the larger 12inch Jamo 650SUB which could fit into my budget...but only 1 - 4850 rmb (728 USD)

http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/sub-650-description/

The Jamo also has a little brother which is the 550SUB also 10inch but i like the look of the Swans better - 3400 rmb (510 USD)

1. max 4800rmb (700 USD)
2. 8, 10, 12 inch sub all ok
3. 45 SQM (5.2M x 8.6M)
4. 70% HT - 30% music
5. Turn it up for movies for sound immersion, normal for the rest
6. Black and rest depends on the box
7. no time frame

Brands like SVS are just crazy expensive here. I have set my limit at 4800rmb roughly 700usd but wouldn't mind spending less of course...i got a 45sqm living room, long rectangle shaped living room (5.20m * 8.60M - setup will be precisely in the middle of this room with sub or subs on either end (left ear and right ear) of the 8.60m)

Question is which would be be better suited in my apartment...2 smaller subs or 1 bigger one?

And the next question can i just match those subs with the speakers i have selected - as far as my non existent sub knowledge goes a sub is a sub so don't see any reason why not but just wanted to make sure so correct me if i am wrong...
post #210 of 307 Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 AM

Hi,

I want to replace my subwoofer Kef KUBE2. I have sound system KEF KHT-2005.3

1. Budget 500 1000$

2. I would like 10" / 12" , i think thats the best for my living room 60-70 square meters

3. Room dimensions , im from sweden but i guess it's 50/70 square meters.

4. Listening ratio : 75% music and 25% TV/Movies

5. Listening habits. POP/RNB/Metall.

6. Appearance requirements: Dont care , just it's sounds good.

I have been looking at SVS/Velodyne/sunfire/Epik

Thanks for your help !
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page