AVS Forum banner

Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting...

264K views 410 replies 224 participants last post by  Kothoga 
#1 ·
Having waded through post after post of people seeking advice regarding the purchase of a new sub, responding with good ideas, and being told time and time again "that's too expensive," "that thing is huge," etc, I think it's time to give some guidelines as to the information that should be provided by anyone in search of assistance before purchasing a subwoofer. Here's a short list that can help immensely, both in keeping threads less cluttered, as well as helping OP's get the information and opinions they desire more quickly:

Before anything else...

Search the forum. Chances are, your question regarding "this sub vs. that sub" has already been asked, discussed, chewed, and spat out hundreds of times already. Try to search the forums and see if you can get a good amount of information that way. If you still want personal advice, feel free to make new threads, but the search function is a wonderful thing

If you still seek more guidance after you have exhausted the AVS Subwoofer Forum Archives, then proceed to begin a thread with the following criteria answered as fully as possible.

1. Your budget. This seems like an obvious thing to state when seeking advice, but many people neglect to mention this anywhere. If you have a budget of $200 but don't mention this and say you want awesome performance, you'll be getting a lot of suggestions for PB13 Ultras, Conquests, F113's, etc. Please cut down the frustration for everyone and simply state a budget range, preferably making it clear to those who desire to help you whether or not this budget includes shipping and taxes

2. Size requirements/limits. If you say you have a $700 budget but fail to inform us that you need a 10" cube form factor, you can rest assured you'll be receiving recommendations for Epik Knights, eD A5-350's, MFW-15's, etc, none of which will come anywhere close to meeting your need for a tiny box. When size matters, please say so!

3. Room dimensions. If you have a 10,000 cubic foot room and a $150 budget, chances are we can't help much. Still, room dimensions can make a big impact on recommendations. Small subs like the SVS SB12 Plus are great subs for music and pretty good for HT, but they'll prove to be insufficient in huge rooms.

4. Primary uses. Given a certain budget, one sub might be a better choice for HT, while another might be a better sub for music. Of course quality subs can do both well. Still, giving an estimate of usage (example: 60% HT/TV viewing, 30% music, 10% gaming) will help others give better recommendations.

5. Listening habits. Listening habits can dictate what sub you'll need. Many AVS members are a bit excessive with their bass requirements and desires (myself included). However, not everyone needs two Epik Conquests in their 2500 cubic foot room. If you realistically won't be listening at really high volumes, say so. On the other hand, if you like to watch concert DVDs at SPL levels that make live concerts seem tame by comparison, we need to know that too.

6. Appearance requirements. Some people have no problem putting a huge box with a rough, black cabinet in their dedicated home theater. Others need a nicely finished cabinet to fit well in the family room. Please make any aesthetic requirements known so those giving advice will be better able to assist you.

7. Timeframe. There are many new subwoofer manufacturers that sell direct over the internet and have enjoyed extremely high popularity in a very short time span. Unfortunately, this has caused severe backorders on their products, as they have not been able to keep up with demand. Try to let us know if getting the sub right away is a priority, as it might affect the suggestions you receive depending on whether or not certain companies are backlogged.

Hopefully these guidelines can help to streamline subwoofer suggestions here on AVS. Anyone with additional ideas, feel free to give input as well. Thanks.

See less See more
#180 ·
1. Your budget. ~$150-200

2. Size requirements/limits. Smaller footprnt the better. Maybe 1'

3. Room dimensions. 10x14x8

4. Primary uses. 10% HT 90% Games

5. Listening habits. Not too high of volumes

6. Appearance requirements. Don't care

7. Timeframe. none.

Using a HK avr146, polk r50, and polk csr center. Mainly just playing games and occasionally watching movies. I dont have too much space for the sub, and I really happy with the current setup, without the sub. But now Im just looking for a bit of umph

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker KID /forum/post/18456878

i Still say KICKERS FOR THE WIN But Jl AUDIO CAN TAKE A POUNDING one JL 8' 3000 watts max thats alot but its 800$ for one 8' lol

"Watts" in itself doesnt make bass. And normally a sub that needs that much power to move is going to be inefficient. What makes bass is cone displacement and Xmax. So an 8" sub driver for $800 isn't what I would call a bargain at all..........

#185 ·
1. Your budget: $5000 to $10,000 for 2 or 3 subs

2. Size requirements/limits: none in dedicated room. I would like the lowest distortion possible for music, yet hit you in the chest feel for movies

3. Room dimensions: 26 X 17 X 9/10

4. Primary uses: 75% movies 25% Music

5. Listening habits: varies

6. Appearance requirements: none, behind screen Would prefer rack mounted amps

7. Timeframe: Nov/Dec 2010 (building new house)

8. Currently own: Velodyne DD-12

#186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 /forum/post/18642270

1. Your budget: $5000 to $10,000 for 2 or 3 subs

2. Size requirements/limits: none in dedicated room. I would like the lowest distortion possible for music, yet hit you in the chest feel for movies

3. Room dimensions: 26 X 17 X 9/10

4. Primary uses: 75% movies 25% Music

5. Listening habits: varies

6. Appearance requirements: none, behind screen Would prefer rack mounted amps

7. Timeframe: Nov/Dec 2010 (building new house)

8. Currently own: Velodyne DD-12

Wow, that's quite a budget you have there.

With a budget like that and a focus on low-distortion musical bass I'd look into 2-3 Seaton Submersives (a bit over $2,000 apiece - Mark Seaton's forum is HERE if you want to check it out) or perhaps four Rythmik F-15's or D-15SE's (these range between $900-$1300 apiece). These subs should sound superb for music while still offering a lot of slam for home theater.

The only thing you might not like is that they have built-in amplifiers. I'd probably lean toward four (or more) Rythmiks. They use a special servo amplifier to keep distortion low, and four 15" drivers ought to offer plenty of output. Even one should match or exceed the output of your DD-12. Four should be a WHOLE lot of fun

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/18671692

Wow, that's quite a budget you have there.

With a budget like that and a focus on low-distortion musical bass I'd look into 2-3 Seaton Submersives (a bit over $2,000 apiece - Mark Seaton's forum is HERE if you want to check it out) or perhaps four Rythmik F-15's or D-15SE's (these range between $900-$1300 apiece). These subs should sound superb for music while still offering a lot of slam for home theater.

The only thing you might not like is that they have built-in amplifiers. I'd probably lean toward four (or more) Rythmiks. They use a special servo amplifier to keep distortion low, and four 15" drivers ought to offer plenty of output. Even one should match or exceed the output of your DD-12. Four should be a WHOLE lot of fun

Thanks for the follow up.......

Why not the Velodyne DD-18 or DD-15? Both can be had at extended discount, besides I love my five year old DD-12.

I find it interesting......... I've spent the last 4-5 months auditioning speakers and the DD-18 out shined every sub I've listened to including the JL Fathom, all B & W and Paradigm sub offerings.

Granted, I've never listened to any of the internet company subs therefore I have no basis to judge........all I can do is take someone's word for it. Not a good place to be in...........

I will check out your suggestions ............is the Seaton Submersive really that impressive? How does the Submersive compare to the DD-18 in SQ, I'm not too concerned with regard to SPL. Granted the DD-18's wont dig deep, but above 20 hz, they are incredible! On another note........I wonder if Mark Seaton can make a passive Submersive? Passive Submersive? Oxymoron? Just asking............

Thanks.............

#188 ·
Dear friends, I finally decided joining this community. Sorry for my english as it is not my first language.

I am buying my home theater nowadays and I just got my stunning pair of Klipsch RF63. I am looking now for a good subwoofer to fit. I thought of the rsw-10d klipsch (10" 500W rms 24Hz) but they are not selling that model anymore so I need advice in any other option. Actually, I dont even have a receiver yet as I am waiting for the Onkyo SR608 to arrive to Guatemala (7.2+100W; 3DReady).

As I live in Guatemala, my choices are reduced to:

1) Klipsch; 2) Polk; 3) JBL; 4)Jamo; 5)Bose (yes they are everywere); 6) PSB; 7) Harman Kardon 8) Onkyo;

My requeriments are: The smaller the better; The lower Hz the better; about 1000 USD; wife's factor: good looking sub.

Thank you very much for your advice and opinions!

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by atapia /forum/post/18690799

Dear friends, I finally decided joining this community. Sorry for my english as it is not my first language.

I am buying my home theater nowadays and I just got my stunning pair of Klipsch RF63. I am looking now for a good subwoofer to fit. I thought of the rsw-10d klipsch (10" 500W rms 24Hz) but they are not selling that model anymore so I need advice in any other option. Actually, I dont even have a receiver yet as I am waiting for the Onkyo SR608 to arrive to Guatemala (7.2+100W; 3DReady).

As I live in Guatemala, my choices are reduced to:

1) Klipsch; 2) Polk; 3) JBL; 4)Jamo; 5)Bose (yes they are everywere); 6) PSB; 7) Harman Kardon 8) Onkyo;

My requeriments are: The smaller the better; The lower Hz the better; about 1000 USD; wife's factor: good looking sub.

Thank you very much for your advice and opinions!

Hi atapia,

Welcome to AVS. My recommendation would be to start your own thread here in the Subwoofer section. This thread was designed primarily to have the first post listed so people would answer some basic requirements when looking for help instead of simply saying "Recommend me a good sub". Assuming your questions aren't already answered elsewhere on the forum, you should make your own thread. Nobody seems to check this thread to give advice, so you'll get a lot more help if you make your own. Good luck.

#190 ·
Your budget: $750 - $1000 (flexible)

2. Size requirements/limits: Nothing really. Going to sit on a floor in small HT

3. Room dimensions: 12 x 20 x 8

4. Primary uses: 90% movies and sports... 10% Music

5. Listening habits: Beginner, but want "higher end quality" sound for movies, tv and sports

6. Appearance requirements: Preferably nice appearance. Going to be out in the open.

7. Timeframe: Football season (Sept '10)

8. Currently own: Nothing. In process of building HT now.

I am teetering back and forth between dual Epik Legends versus the Rythmik F12 (signature), but I really don't know much about subs to make an informed decision. That's where you guys come in!!!

Not sure if makes any difference, but my receiver is the Denon AVR-4810ci and I am running the DefTech Mythos Series speakers (Mythos Ones... not the STS)

thanks for any help!

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana /forum/post/18761522

Your budget: $750 - $1000 (flexible)

2. Size requirements/limits: Nothing really. Going to sit on a floor in small HT

3. Room dimensions: 12 x 20 x 8

4. Primary uses: 90% movies and sports... 10% Music

5. Listening habits: Beginner, but want "higher end quality" sound for movies, tv and sports

6. Appearance requirements: Preferably nice appearance. Going to be out in the open.

7. Timeframe: Football season (Sept '10)

8. Currently own: Nothing. In process of building HT now.

I am teetering back and forth between dual Epik Legends versus the Rythmik F12 (signature), but I really don't know much about subs to make an informed decision. That's where you guys come in!!!

Not sure if makes any difference, but my receiver is the Denon AVR-4810ci and I am running the DefTech Mythos Series speakers (Mythos Ones... not the STS)

thanks for any help!

The Epik Legend has not yet been released so we don't have any performance numbers (or even listening comparisons) on it. The Rythmik has decent midbass output and digs pretty deep (though I'd doubt it can do so at very high output levels). This is a guess, but I would assume that a single Legend would match or slightly exceed the F12 in midbass but the F12 would go lower and possibly have a slight edge in articulation (both subs should be great in that area, though). Two Legends should easily outperform the F12 in midbass slam, though the F12 will still go lower. Two subs can also improve bass response in the room by smoothing out peaks and nulls.

I would probably lean toward two Legends instead of a single F12. The only potential strike against the Legends is that it (possibly) will be a mediocre deep bass performer, but nobody knows yet. It would be good to know how deep the Legend can really go. I'd be hesitant to recommend it if it doesn't get below 25hz or so, but if it gets into the 15-20hz range with authority it would be more than sufficient for most home theater material.

If you're looking more toward a single subwoofer, I'd suggest considering the Epik Empire (dual 15" drivers, 600W amp vs. the Legend's dual 12" drivers, 300W amp) or the Rythmik F15 (15" driver vs. the F12's 12" driver). I'd compare these in a similar way as my comparison of the Legend/F12. The Empire should best the F15 in midbass, but in the deepest bass (below 20hz or so) the Rythmik might pull ahead a bit.

Good luck. There are certainly more subs out there than just these few models. Keep us posted.

#192 ·
Thanks for dropping some knowlege on me. Very helpful. I was leaning more towards one Empire about a week ago, but then thought that might be overkill for my small room?

As for other models you might recommend, please throw them at me. I am a complete sub noob. I'm coming from an old Sony theater in a box that is being demoted to the family room. So many choices out there, I really don't know where to begin. again... many thanks.

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana /forum/post/18762845

Thanks for dropping some knowlege on me. Very helpful. I was leaning more towards one Empire about a week ago, but then thought that might be overkill for my small room?

As for other models you might recommend, please throw them at me. I am a complete sub noob. I'm coming from an old Sony theater in a box that is being demoted to the family room. So many choices out there, I really don't know where to begin. again... many thanks.

Don't worry about "overkill". The Empire would just give you plenty of headroom, and the peace of mind that you probably won't be left wanting more. The worst thing you can do is upgrade to a sub that you hope might barely meet your requirements, because before you know it you'll find yourself buying another sub. It's better to get plenty of sub now and not have to worry about "what if?" syndrome. Though to be fair, just about anything will make you ecstatic compared to a Sony HTIB subwoofer (I can say that because I've owned one in the past
).

I'd also look into SVS (both the NSD and Plus lines) and Hsu (VTF3 MK3). Elemental Designs also has some popular subs, though they seem to be backlogged like crazy right now. I've personally owned SVS subs in the past and they offer excellent products with top notch customer service. I currently own an older model Epik subwoofer and I think right now it's hard to beat Epik in the price/performance category. But subs from any of these companies would be great additions to your theater.

#195 ·
Is there a cheap system or subwoofer with HDMI in? I don't want to pass-trhough the HDMI audio and less than ever connect it to a TV or such a sh...

I don't need a big and expensive receiver that eats power and takes space, I would prefer an integrated solution. Just need a small device with a HDMI interface that interprets audio, or at least a device that accepts several PCM streams as front, rear, center/sub

#198 ·
Hello everyone.

Trying to find a replacement for my Klipsch subwoofer where the amplifier died. I contacted Klipsch and it is $100 bucks to repair (and that includes me taking it apart and sending it to them), so I am thinking it might be better just to look for a replacement:

1. Your budget. Under $300

2. Size requirements/limits. Does not matter, 8" or 10" (assuming I understand the question correctly
)

3. Room dimensions. 10 x 30 x 10H (big open room with living room and kitchen eating area are combined)

4. Primary uses. 90% HT, 10% music listening.

5. Listening habits. Do not watch movies on a very high volume level, due to the possibility of waking the kids. Would like something that is nice, but does not shake the house and wake up my kids.
Lots of shaking is not a requirement, but hearing the base would be nice (dont hear anything right now)

6. Appearance requirements. None.

7. Timeframe. - Within the next 2 months.

Thanks for the help.

#199 ·
1. Your budget: $2,000ish

2. Size requirements/limits: None.

3. Room dimensions: 18 x 16 x 8 (L x W x H) however, one side of the room opens up to half of my 2nd story of my house (half wall on that side of the room...the room is a loft basically)

4. Primary uses: 80% Movies 20% Gaming

5. Listening habits: Random

6. Appearance requirements: None.

7. Timeframe: ASAP

8. Currently own: HSU VTF3-MK2 (currently for sale on Craigslist and A'gon)

9. Prospects: Either want Dual Empires or Dual Rythmik F15HP or something else some1 can recommend around my budget that rocks. I like watching my movies with the volume cranked...

#201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Steve /forum/post/19325882

I was looking at the Epic models. I like the price points.

Anybody have a opinion about the Velodyne DD12's?

For $200 more I could get two Empires, and add the SMS1 later on

I ended up going that route (2 Empires)...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!! My pre/pro's Audyssey MultEQ XT did a good job and they rock in my room.

I have heard a DD15 before but not 2 DD12s. The DD15 sounded really good IMO, but I cannot comment on 2 DD12s as I have not heard a setup like that. I am sure it would sound really awesome though. Just my 2 cents...

#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 /forum/post/18676414

Thanks for the follow up.......

Why not the Velodyne DD-18 or DD-15? Both can be had at extended discount, besides I love my five year old DD-12.

I find it interesting......... I've spent the last 4-5 months auditioning speakers and the DD-18 out shined every sub I've listened to including the JL Fathom, all B & W and Paradigm sub offerings.

Granted, I've never listened to any of the internet company subs therefore I have no basis to judge........all I can do is take someone's word for it. Not a good place to be in...........

I will check out your suggestions ............is the Seaton Submersive really that impressive? How does the Submersive compare to the DD-18 in SQ, I'm not too concerned with regard to SPL. Granted the DD-18's wont dig deep, but above 20 hz, they are incredible! On another note........I wonder if Mark Seaton can make a passive Submersive? Passive Submersive? Oxymoron? Just asking............

Thanks.............

Hi there take a look at these subs theres the ULS-15 QuadDrive as well or 4 epik empires, paradigm sub25 or sub2 and of course submersive 2 or 3

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15quaddrive.html
http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/dualempire.html
http://www.paradigm.com/index.php?op...d=117&Itemid=2
http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post?id=3364736