Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting... - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 307 Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Your budget: I'd like to keep this to $1500 or less
Room dimensions: 23 x 17 living room, opening to a dining room (L-shaped)
Primary uses: 40% HT/60% music (of which maybe 30% is concert BluRay or DVDs)
Listening habits: moderate volume because we live in a condo
Appearance requirements: smaller is better but not a deal breaker
Timeframe: this year
Currently own: Pioneer SC-57, Mythos ST fronts, Mythos Nine center, Mythos Gem XL rear surrounds, AS-EQ1 bass EQ handling LFE from the Mythos STs

I've went back and worth about whether we really need a standalone sub, but the more I listen to the MCACC/bass EQ'd system, the more it feels like we're missing a little punch (as opposed to big BOOM) on HT content like BluRay Star Wars, as opposed to music. The 'flow' of the LFE from the Mythos STs can be felt in the room, but I'd like something to free up the STs for more mid-bass duty, and let the sub handle bass to 20-25 hz. Also to compare to my existing setup.

Candidates, based on researching AVS:
SVS PB12 NSD (but am open to SB12)
Epic Empire
One of the new Velodynes?

My Magnolia guy at the infamous BB pushed a REL T9 or a REL 328, but ID may be a better way to go for cost/value.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 307 Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Your budget: I'd like to keep this to $1500 or less
Room dimensions: 23 x 17 living room, opening to a dining room (L-shaped)
Primary uses: 40% HT/60% music (of which maybe 30% is concert BluRay or DVDs)
Listening habits: moderate volume because we live in a condo
Appearance requirements: smaller is better but not a deal breaker
Timeframe: this year
Currently own: Pioneer SC-57, Mythos ST fronts, Mythos Nine center, Mythos Gem XL rear surrounds, AS-EQ1 bass EQ handling LFE from the Mythos STs

I've went back and worth about whether we really need a standalone sub, but the more I listen to the MCACC/bass EQ'd system, the more it feels like we're missing a little punch (as opposed to big BOOM) on HT content like BluRay Star Wars, as opposed to music. The 'flow' of the LFE from the Mythos STs can be felt in the room, but I'd like something to free up the STs for more mid-bass duty, and let the sub handle bass to 20-25 hz. Also to compare to my existing setup.

Candidates, based on researching AVS:
SVS PB12 NSD (but am open to SB12)
Epic Empire
One of the new Velodynes?

My Magnolia guy at the infamous BB pushed a REL T9 or a REL 328, but ID may be a better way to go for cost/value.

I can't speak on the T9 or 328, but both my REL Q201 and Q108 are pretty useless below 40Hz, despite promises to the contrary. Decent punch for midbass, but even then only when paired with smaller mains. For example, I can't even HEAR the Q201 over my DT BP7002s in the main theater room, but it works great connected to my small setup in the living room.
post #243 of 307 Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Hi peoples, I'm brand new in here so I hope i dont p*ss anyone off because i dont even know if im posting in the right place. So sorry in advance.

I have some Community speakers that i ran with my sound system in a club i owned 5 years ago. I have since sold the club and my speakers came home with me. I am trying to sell them but i have no idea what they would be worth today, and I was hoping that someone could help me out.

I have : 2- COMMUNITY, CSX 60-S2 SUBWOOFERS 4 SUBS IN EACH BOX
600W RMS OR 1500W PROGRAM

2-COMMUNITY, XLT 46 SPEAKERS 200 W CONTINUOUS 500W PROGRAM

They are about 9 or 10 years old and were used basically just on weekends for 4 years.

If anyone could tell me what these speakers would be worth today, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and if im posting in the wrong place, please let me know so i can move my sorry butt where it belongs. lol
post #244 of 307 Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 PM

1. Your budget.
less than $350

2. Size requirements/limits.
8-10". i see no reason to go with 12 but if someone has a good suggestion then i'll hear it out.

3. Room dimensions.
it's not exactly this but for the sake of simplicity, 17'x17'

4. Primary uses.
75% tv / 24% movie /1% music

5. Listening habits.
slightly louder than normal "tv watching". i almost never crank it. not even close to theater levels.

6. Appearance requirements.
none. smaller the better.

7. Timeframe.
within a week.

last thing, it needs to be placed in the corner of the room. the last sub i used was an athena 6000 12". better performance and longevity than that pretty much sums it up.

current setup:
ascend 170se (LR) and 340 center.
yamaha 663 receiver.
post #245 of 307 Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sub 12 or DD 12 ?
post #246 of 307 Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and subwoofer scene so I'd appreciate some advice on what to buy.
I'm looking for a sub to complement my computer sound system which consists of a pair of self-powered bookshelf Audioengine A5s and xonar d2x sound card. I use my computer as an audio and video player. I want a sub that would not be too powerful but accurate, a sub that would not overpower my A5s but complement them. My room is extra small, around 2 meters wide, 5 meters long and 2.5 meters high(6.56w, 16.4l, 8.2h). Since this will be a part of a PC setup I'll be sitting very close to my sub, which should be as small as possible(I was thinking 8"). My budget is not fixed but I really don't want to pay more then I did for A5s (300$). I should also note that I live in Europe, Slovenia to be exact, since I heard that many companies only ship to USA.
So, to sum up:
- a sub that can blend well in my current system
- a sub that is good for both music(especially classical) and movies
- a sub that won't overpower my A5s
- very small room
- preferably 8" sub
- I'll be sitting close to it
- as low cost as possible but quality should not suffer
- Europe (Slovenia)

Thanks!
post #247 of 307 Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just listened to a sub 1 vs a DD+12 and thought the DD sounded better ?
post #248 of 307 Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp34 View Post

I just listened to a sub 1 vs a DD+12 and thought the DD sounded better ?

Both are crazy overpriced
post #249 of 307 Old 11-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys. I just read a small amount of the beginning of this thread so if the answer to my very simple and probably stupid question could have already been answered but bare with me.

I simply wanna know if all or at least most subs connect to receivers the same way? In other words, are subs and the way they connect to devices universal? I have a Samsung receiver with a 5.1 setup (all speakers are samsung as well) and have recently began thinking about upgrading my speakers, as well as adding two more for a 7.1 setup. My Samsung receiver model is HT-AS730S. I know Samsung isn't know for it's receivers and that's mainly why I am wondering if my Samsung subwoofer can be swapped out with something different/better (Polk audio or something like that). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
post #250 of 307 Old 11-20-2011, 11:03 PM

1. $200 to $500, I might consider spending more but I'd like to see what gets recommended to me at this price point. There are a couple that have crossed my mind but they are no more than $300. (I'll mention those later.)

2. Size requirements/limits. 8". I live with a lot of annoying senior citizen neighbors that would love to do nothing more than knock on my door and tell me that my speakers are too loud.

3. Room dimensions. 10x10 maybe, smaller, maybe bigger. Rooms are pretty small here in Brooklyn.

4. Primary uses. 70% Music/30% gaming).

5. Listening habit: I Listen mostly to music and I listen at a decent level unless a "favorite" song comes on, then I might raise it up a bit. I play a good share of videogames as well. Most of that is done at night when it might not be wise to have booming bass. (love my headphones)

6. Appearance requirements. I would like a nice matte box. I really liked the Tannoy TS8 (but they're discontinued). It had a nice rough, aluminum look to it which would match my speakers. I"m not a fan of the rough wood look, but above all I value quality and if the quality makes the looks negligible, then I'll reconsider.

7. Timeframe. I'd like to get it here by the 2nd weekend in December, but I will wait longer if need be.

Final note: It needs to have a high pass through with RCAs. So RCAs in, RCAs out. I could also do RCAs in, XLR out (like the Tannoy was).

Here are a couple I saw that I had in mind:

Velodyne DLS-3500R
Polk Audio DSW PRO

Both seem attractive enough. I really don't need an insane amount (tight and controlled not loose and shaking). I just want the bass that let's you know it's there. Nice and tight and if possible natural sounding.
post #251 of 307 Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post

Hey guys. I just read a small amount of the beginning of this thread so if the answer to my very simple and probably stupid question could have already been answered but bare with me.

I simply wanna know if all or at least most subs connect to receivers the same way? In other words, are subs and the way they connect to devices universal? I have a Samsung receiver with a 5.1 setup (all speakers are samsung as well) and have recently began thinking about upgrading my speakers, as well as adding two more for a 7.1 setup. My Samsung receiver model is HT-AS730S. I know Samsung isn't know for it's receivers and that's mainly why I am wondering if my Samsung subwoofer can be swapped out with something different/better (Polk audio or something like that). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I used to have a Samsung receiver...mine had an RCA LFE out as well as the speaker terminals for the subwoofer. Just check the back for the LFE out. Rather than buy two new speakers. I would buy 3 new ones...2 front and a center. Buy some better quality than the Samsung. Then use your current speakers to round out the 7.0.
post #252 of 307 Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 PM

So I take it this isn't a very popular subform.

anyone?
post #253 of 307 Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I used to have a Samsung receiver...mine had an RCA LFE out as well as the speaker terminals for the subwoofer. Just check the back for the LFE out. Rather than buy two new speakers. I would buy 3 new ones...2 front and a center. Buy some better quality than the Samsung. Then use your current speakers to round out the 7.0.

Thanks for the advice! I'll proly go that route
post #254 of 307 Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the input and previous discussion. I am looking for the best sub given my setup and requirements:

Mains: Mythos ST
Center: Mythos 10
L/R Surrounds: Energy CF-50
Pioneer Elite SC-25
Mitsubishi 65" DLP

Room is roughly 14 X 19
Budget is around $1k-$1,500. Flexible.
Use is 70/30 HT vs. Music.

I was down to the Def Tech supercube I or the SVS PB-12+

I am open to any suggestions or input based on the above and your experiences. I am not dead set on either of the above but have been impressed by both so if you have any other suggestions I would be glad to hear them.
Thx/
AC
post #255 of 307 Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM

1. Your budget.
tops $750 shipped

2. Size requirements/limits.
box size no wider then 18" and no deeper then 28" height dont really care

3. Room dimensions.
2800 cubic feet

4. Primary uses.
50% ht 50% music

5. Listening habits.
looking for hard hitting bass used to run four 12" in a car so, the louder the better

6. Appearance requirements.
doesnt really matter.
post #256 of 307 Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Display: Panasonic PC-T65ST30
AVR: Pioneer PSX-1021-K
Fronts: Polk Monitor 70
Center: Polk CS2
Rear: Polk Monitor 40

Flexible $300 budget

12' x 15' living room of a third floor apartment - I can't terrorize my downstairs neighbor but I'll be in my own house in a year or two and would prefer not to have to purchase a new one at that time

no size/appearance issues I can think of

50% HT 30% Gaming 20% Music

Thanks!
post #257 of 307 Old 01-08-2012, 11:44 PM

I'm looking at a few different subwoofers from HSU and SVS, however I'm always worried the sub might not go as low, or as loud, as I want it to (and to future proof my purchase).

In terms of SVS, I've been looking at the SB12-NSD and the PB12-NSD - however, at my current set-up with just a pair of B&W CM5s, I don't know which will work best. The room is about 14*20*8 ft. and opens to a kitchen and listening to about 40% music, 30% HT, and 30% x-box. I will be upgrading my set-up to CM9s in a few months.

I guess what my question is, if I get the bigger one, will it "outshine" my set-up? Will it still sound as good at low volumes?
post #258 of 307 Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post

The room is about 14*20*14 ft. and opens to a kitchen and listening to about 40% music, 30% HT, and 30% x-box.

With that big a space, you need the higher output of the PB12-NSD for HT use. And yes. It will sound good at low volumes and be fine with the B&Ws (I have an Outlaw EX with the older B&W 601s).

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #259 of 307 Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

With that big a space, you need the higher output of the PB12-NSD for HT use. And yes. It will sound good at low volumes and be fine with the B&Ws (I have an Outlaw EX with the older B&W 601s).

Thanks for the quick reply - although I had my dimensions wrong.

The room is 14 ft. wide, 20 ft. long, with 8 ft. ceilings. It opens up to a kitchen that is 10 by 12 ft.
post #260 of 307 Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Liked: 11
Your Budget: Up to 250usd
Size Requirements/limits: None!
Room Dimensions: 1700 feet cubed. Sub would be roughly 10 feet away from a shared wall with a neighbor in an apartment. It is also open with the kitchen of my apartment, which is roughly 900 feet cubed.
Primary Uses: 60% Music, 40% Movies
Listening Habits: According to this 1 dollar spl meter for iPhone I average about 75db with 80db peaks at times at listening position. If I put it right up against the drivers I get 85db (midrange woofer) and 90db (tweeter). I don't know how good that program or iPhone's mic is so take the numbers with a grain of salt. Either way I don't listen too terribly loud.
Appearance Requirements: None!
Timeframe: None!

What I'm mainly looking for is something for low level listening to augment the low end of my PSB bookshelves, of which are rated to go down to 50hz on a +/- 1.5db access (though I'm not too sure how much of that is their bass port). I mainly want the extra bass extension and possibly impact, while staying at a relatively low overall spl level as to not leak too much through the shared wall only 100 feet away. My amplifier is also only a little T-Amp with no bells and whistles, only an rca input, 3.5mm input and left/right channel outputs. The sub would have to work with that as well.

So in short, what above all is extension, followed by impact. What I do not want is loudness. I'm also guessing impact is directly correlated to sound pressure so I can't really have impact without having loudness?
post #261 of 307 Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
1. Probably about $1K

2. Size requirements/limits. Not a factor

3. Room dimensions. 12x30, but the seats are about 15' from the 65" TV (It's an "L" shaped basement, with the HT up on top of the "L". All the listening happens within 15' or so of the speakers. The ceiling is only 9-10' high. I also have EchoBusters throughout the listening area, including Bass traps in the front corners)

4. Primary uses. 80% TV, 10% music, 10% BluRay

5. Listening habit: I like to sit back and enjoy. Not too loud (I'm 51) and certainly not too quiet!

6. Appearance requirements.Not a factor

7. Other factors: I have Mirage OM-6 F/L and Mirage OM-C2 as the center. Right now, I'm running a Mirage BPS-150i for my sub. I have a Denon AVR-4311 running Audyssey XT32. I have my full-range Mirage's set to "small" because that's what the Audyssey guy says over and over again over on the Audyssey thread.

Questions:
1. Should I be running 2 subs?
2. Should I replace the BPS-150i or add a single new sub if #1 is "yes"
3. Should I be running the OM-6 as "large" and send all the bass to their internal powered woofers?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks!

(PS - Here's a review of the OM-6's: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...rs/1197mirage/)
post #262 of 307 Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

1. Probably about $1K

2. Size requirements/limits. Not a factor

3. Room dimensions. 12x30, but the seats are about 15' from the 65" TV (It's an "L" shaped basement, with the HT up on top of the "L". All the listening happens within 15' or so of the speakers. The ceiling is only 9-10' high. I also have EchoBusters throughout the listening area, including Bass traps in the front corners)

4. Primary uses. 80% TV, 10% music, 10% BluRay

5. Listening habit: I like to sit back and enjoy. Not too loud (I'm 51) and certainly not too quiet!

6. Appearance requirements.Not a factor

7. Other factors: I have Mirage OM-6 F/L and Mirage OM-C2 as the center. Right now, I'm running a Mirage BPS-150i for my sub. I have a Denon AVR-4311 running Audyssey XT32. I have my full-range Mirage's set to "small" because that's what the Audyssey guy says over and over again over on the Audyssey thread.

Questions:
1. Should I be running 2 subs?
2. Should I replace the BPS-150i or add a single new sub if #1 is "yes"
3. Should I be running the OM-6 as "large" and send all the bass to their internal powered woofers?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks!

(PS - Here's a review of the OM-6's: http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...rs/1197mirage/)

Usually it's best just to create a new thread when you have this kind of request. This thread doesn't get a lot of attention

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #263 of 307 Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post

Great thread, maybe a little asterisk at the end of your post to state....If one follows the above sequence, one will nearly have all the information to determine the correct sub for themselves and not require starting a thread asking for help.

Very true! But it's still great to hear what everybody may think
post #264 of 307 Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM

go with alpines
post #265 of 307 Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is a single Rythmik FV15HP enough for a space that's about 8,000 cu ft & opened to staircase that leads to first floor of the house? The main listening area is about 3700 cu ft but it's fully opened to the dining room and kitchen, and the stairs.

Usage will be for movie...listening volume at about -15 to -10 dB.
post #266 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 03:04 AM

i just purchased a new system...left the Bose Lifestyle world.

I still need subwoofer(2) and surround speakers. Initially my budget only allowed receiver, front and center speakers.

I am ready for a sub and looking for advice...I have been reviewing the klipsch SW-112...anyone have suggestions???

I have older pioneer speakers left from the early 90s I am using for surround speakers but do not have a subwoofer....I want to get sub now and will get surround speakers after the new year.

New system:
Yamaha 2020
Front Monitor Audio Silver 8s
Center Monitor Audio Center
Surround - Still shopping
Sub - Still Shopping

Budget:
$500

Listening habits:
Loud Music
I prefer deep bass

Primary Uses:
60% Movies // 40% Music

Room Dimensions:
16x25

Size Requirements/Limits
Not particular..smaller the better

Prefer a Cherry Wood finish but will settle for a traditional black finish for quality
post #267 of 307 Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Hi everbody, current gear,Anthem MRX 700,Sony BDP-S790, Paradigm Studio 100's L/R ,cc Studio 690, two pair ADP 590's (running 7.1), studio sub 12 and a monitor sub 12 with Epson 6010 projector. Everything look's and sound's awesome in my current L shaped 14 by 22 foot room. we are building a new home and my new combination, Games, Theatre, Music listening room will be 60 feet long by any where from 14 feet to 30 feet. The centre part of the 60 foot wall will have a 160'' dia. screen with the sound system built around that area of the room with game's table's in the wing room's on either side. There are no partition wall's anywhere in this room. I know my current sub's are not enough for an aprox 12,000 cubic space. I like my movie's a bit on the loud side, music at normal to reference level, (depend's on whether the wife is home or not). 50 50 on useage, budget $5000. should I get 1 really good sub or 2 more comparable to what I already have, or is that really enough considering room size. Thank's in Advance for any suggestions Dave.
post #268 of 307 Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM

Can you help me choose a sub?

1. Your budget. $650
2. Size requirements/limits. none. Plenty of room.
3. Room dimensions. Big man cave. 19x25x9.5
4. Primary uses. Both music and parties. We watch movies often and we also have parties where we listen to all kinds of music from country to rap.
5. Listening habits. I like it loud. I enjoy a good thump and low rumble but also enjoy tight bass.
6. Appearance requirements. No requirement here. I have a huge entertainment center that has a large opening underneath the TV for storage(my wife has baskets of kids toys there now). The storage is open and these baskets sit right on the floor. I plan on putting the sub behind the baskets.
7. Timeframe. Flexible. I would like to get a good buy of course.

I've been looking at a Velodyne EQ-Max 15 Inch, 750 Watt Powered Subwoofer for around $500. Would that be a good choice?
post #269 of 307 Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbusda View Post

Can you help me choose a sub?

1. Your budget. $650
2. Size requirements/limits. none. Plenty of room.
3. Room dimensions. Big man cave. 19x25x9.5
4. Primary uses. Both music and parties. We watch movies often and we also have parties where we listen to all kinds of music from country to rap.
5. Listening habits. I like it loud. I enjoy a good thump and low rumble but also enjoy tight bass.
6. Appearance requirements. No requirement here. I have a huge entertainment center that has a large opening underneath the TV for storage(my wife has baskets of kids toys there now). The storage is open and these baskets sit right on the floor. I plan on putting the sub behind the baskets.
7. Timeframe. Flexible. I would like to get a good buy of course.

I've been looking at a Velodyne EQ-Max 15 Inch, 750 Watt Powered Subwoofer for around $500. Would that be a good choice?

I should add that we probably watch more movies than listen to music. Probably 70/30. But when we parties, we listen to music and i want it to sound great as well. Thanks!
post #270 of 307 Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM

i just have to say i like your style!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page