Best inexpensive Y splitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With all this talk of 2 subs, it seems the best way is to use a Y splitter.

Monoprice only seems to carry 1 version.

Anyone got a good reccomendation.

Also if I run three co-located subs, should I run with 2 Y splitters or is there s 3 way splitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Anyone got a good reccomendation.

Buy any Y-splitter.

--Regards,
post #3 of 12 Old 02-13-2008, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Next time you're around radio shack pick one up, you'll save on shipping and have it now, they aren't but a few bucks anyway, if you want to order online any of the options below would work.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=189-300
post #4 of 12 Old 02-13-2008, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Agree with the above posts.
I have two subs stacked, and just replaced the black cables with white ones (new house, and I'm a bit anal about how everything looks ).
I was using a "good" y splitter that's only about 6" long, but wanted to eliminate as much of the black color as possible (told ya I was anal ).
I just replaced it with this one:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
Works perfectly.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-13-2008, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm anal about how everything looks too - but I just changed out my white cables for black
post #6 of 12 Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

I'm anal about how everything looks too - but I just changed out my white cables for black

Actually, the reason I switched to white is because the carpet is a neutral, sand color, and the wall paint is egg shell; white ceilings and trim.
While the cables for the subs aren't all that visible, some of it can be seen; hence the switch to white.
Did I really just use the word "hence"?
post #7 of 12 Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM

If your subwoofer cable is (well) shielded, wouldn't it be a good idea to make sure that the splitter is shielded (well) too?

One that I found that seemed to be a good balance between price and confidence in the quality was an Acoustic Research Pro Series II PR142 (or PR142N). This is the 1F to 2M version, I think PR141 is 1M to 2F if you need that by chance.

I didn't purchase any yet because I am waiting to figure out what other cables and wires I need to save on shipping, but the best prices I found on this Y-cable was $12.70 at electotronics.com (but shipping is high for small orders) or $14.32 at homedecorworld.com (with lower shipping charges). The low price, high shipping place is probably only worth it if you order 3 or more cables (or other stuff). They are $30 at Partsexpress.com.

If anyone knows of quality shielded splitters for less, 1F to 3M splitters, or 1F to 4M splitters I'd love to know where to shop.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexthem View Post

If your subwoofer cable is (well) shielded, wouldn't it be a good idea to make sure that the splitter is shielded (well) too?

One that I found that seemed to be a good balance between price and confidence in the quality was an Acoustic Research Pro Series II PR142 (or PR142N). This is the 1F to 2M version, I think PR141 is 1M to 2F if you need that by chance.

I didn't purchase any yet because I am waiting to figure out what other cables and wires I need to save on shipping, but the best prices I found on this Y-cable was $12.70 at electotronics.com (but shipping is high for small orders) or $14.32 at homedecorworld.com (with lower shipping charges). The low price, high shipping place is probably only worth it if you order 3 or more cables (or other stuff). They are $30 at Partsexpress.com.

If anyone knows of quality shielded splitters for less, 1F to 3M splitters, or 1F to 4M splitters I'd love to know where to shop.

Are you wanting a splitter or a Y cable, both accomplish the same thing. If a cable will work for you then check the link below, Dual shielding, 24k gold-plated connectors, Grooved finger grips and metal strain relief, Heavy-duty jacket, etc, for $1.88, PEs shipping isn't the cheapest in the world but it still comes out to just above 1/2 of the prices you listed. I would never pay $12.70 or $14.32 for a cable. I have less than that invested in all my cables, not including speaker wire of course.

As far as a splitter being non shielded I've used those also in the past, never had any issues or problems.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=189-300
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2008, 12:29 AM

I had been looking for a fairly short Y cable (several actually) for a sub and two Buttkicker Amps. That 13' Y-cable seems like an incredible deal (as long as the conductor is not super cheap/small). I ordered a few along with some 10 GA speaker wire and other stuff - so the shipping costs were spread pretty well.

I guess I subscribe to the chain/weakest link theory and prefer to have shielded splitters, Y-cables, whatever. But I am fairly new to much of this.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexthem View Post

I had been looking for a fairly short Y cable (several actually) for a sub and two Buttkicker Amps. That 13' Y-cable seems like an incredible deal (as long as the conductor is not super cheap/small). I ordered a few along with some 10 GA speaker wire and other stuff - so the shipping costs were spread pretty well.

I guess I subscribe to the chain/weakest link theory and prefer to have shielded splitters, Y-cables, whatever. But I am fairly new to much of this.

It's a quality cable. I'm using 1 in my system now. I bought as many as I could at that price, kept a few and gave the rest to my needy friends who I've installed systems for.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.kongcable.com/products/13735.html

Analog: Pioneer SX-950, CT-F9191, AD797MCPS, PL-707, RH-65, RG-1, SR-202, Monitor 10/HE-500 hp's
Digital: Laptop, M2tech Young, Oppo 83, Simaudio i5.3, Dali Mentor
post #12 of 12 Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 268
This is what I use for dual subs. It is specifically designed to split a line level output from your receiver. It's also great if your receiver is located in a tight spot, since it takes up the least amount of room. You can pick it up at your local Radio Shack or order it on line.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page