A newbie review for the HSU STF-1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-17-2008, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well guys, after weeks of research on this board, and a wealth of information available, I finally jumped onto getting myself a real subwoofer for my mini-home theater in my room. I have a small room setup, and limited my choices to:

1. Bic H100
2. HSU STF-1
3. Outlaw LFM-2
4. Elemental Designs A2-250

I tossed out the BIC right away when I upped my budget from 200 to 325 max. I was close to getting the Ed but the wait time was too long for my liking, and also was too big for my room setup. I read that the LFM-2 and STF-1 were similar, so I just chose the one that gave me the best shipping rate (no kidding) which turned out to be the HSU.

I was contemplating maybe moving to a 10' driver, but figured with my setup it would be way too powerful for my needs now, and will definitely upgrade when the time comes. After some calibration and setup, I hooked it up and listened to some music. Holy Mother of God! The difference in bass was absolutely amazing, as I was coming from using a subwoofer in a Denon HTIB. The sub integrated perfectly with my speakers (Aperion 532 lrs), and it absolutely rattled my room.

Next, I tested out some movies, (Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and Standard). After looking through the Movies with Bass list, I bought War of the Worlds (got it real cheap), and played the movie. (SPOILER ALERT) The scene with the Pod emerging in the beginning was insane! The lightning storm that preceded was also awesome. I could not believe how much of an impact this sub had on my system. Other movies I tested sounded equally as good (Batman Begins HD-DVD, Descent Blu-ray, etc),and am hopefully going to watch Lord of The Rings again this week to test that out.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with this sub, and would gladly recommend it to anybody who is looking for a budget sub, for movies or music. The question I have for you guys is should I get an SPL meter to calibrate my system completely? I calibrated my receiver and speaker settings manually, and am pretty happy with how it sounds right now. If I were to use an SPL meter, would I get better sound? Thanks for reading,

Njdevilnut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 AM

I'm right there with you. We just bought our first house and put together our first home theater system. I shopped and read and read and shopped before finally getting the STF-1 from the Hsu Outlet. It is mind blowing! Our room is bigger than is recommended by Hsu and the thing still packs a huge punch. It integrates really well and is completely discreet during typical movie/tv watching, but thumps when it's supposed to. It almost made watching an awful movie like Transformers bearable. I couldn't be happier.

As far as calibration, I haven't used a meter, but I've played a lot with Audyssey, the crossover settings, volume, and position. My current settings have the crossover set at 100, the volume on the back set to about 30-40%, and it's placed nearfield.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilnut View Post

The question I have for you guys is should I get an SPL meter to calibrate my system completely? I calibrated my receiver and speaker settings manually, and am pretty happy with how it sounds right now. If I were to use an SPL meter, would I get better sound? Thanks for reading,

Njdevilnut

I would suggest, if your AVR doesn't have an auto calibration tool like Audyssey, to pick one up at radio shack. However, I like to tweak...a lot. If you like what you're hearing now, and just want to tweak a little, maybe you can just borrow one?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page