post #31 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadbury8 View Post

i am also curious about how the unit is put together and how difficult it would be to take apart to remove discs if the unit goes bad. But it looks like its just plastic so a pair of tin snips would open it up pretty quick.

The top has a large plastic see thru ring which is easily removed for manually removing the discs.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

very nice. thanks for all the info. you have a good system going on. Is the movie collector software only available over the net or can it be purchased in a store? I really dont want to get into software that would require a net connection in case i decide to drop my internet connection. its not likely but who knows whats in store for the future.

Thank you, I am so far very pleased with the setup. You can read about the movie collector software here: http://www.collectorz.com/

The best price I found for the ZioTek was here:
http://www.cyberguys.com/
The 5 % off with signup along with the purchase of 5 or more.

Dennis
post #33 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssick View Post

I bought two 400 disc Sony changers and a pronto and threw out the cases. I love it, I never have to leave the couch to watch a movie. Now if they just came out with a BD changer under $1000 (any profile) I would be in heaven.

How do you choose the disc you want to watch? Is it a OSD built into the dvd changer, does it connect to a pc where you have catalog software? I don't think I can keep track of which disc is #326
post #34 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes View Post

How do you choose the disc you want to watch? Is it a OSD built into the dvd changer, does it connect to a pc where you have catalog software? I don't think I can keep track of which disc is #326

Take a look at the first picture in the small edit box. Just click on the box to the the right of the number 49. Bingo, out it comes. You also get software called CDLIB with the ZioTek that you can print out with all the discs stored in all units.

Dennis
post #35 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1951 View Post

Take a look at the first picture in the small edit box. Just click on the box to the the right of the number 49. Bingo, out it comes. You also get software called CDLIB with the ZioTek that you can print out with all the discs stored in all units.

Thanks Dennis, I was actually asking about the Sony changer solution, not the Ziotek storage one, but both are great options. Your setup looks awesome by the way!
post #36 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM

I had a unit much like the Ziotek's called CenturyCD 5 years back, at that time I paid the same price the Ziotek's are going for. The only reason I never used it much is because I had my computer crash twice and lost all the references to my CD locations. Should I have backed up this data..of course, would many people remember to back up the data frequently????

My unit didn't store the information on what CD/DVD was inside of it, that was all stored on my computer; so once that information is gone from the computer you have to manually eject every CD/DVD and start over again.

I will admit though those Zioteks look awful sexy!

Dregun
post #37 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Dennis i have one more question for you reguarding those media units. do you have to turn them all on/off manually or do they have like a sleep mode where you can wake them up individually when needed through the computer program you are using?

i know i am kind of confusing sometimes so if you dont understand my question just say so. hehehehe. thanks.

oops one more bone head question. have you ever miss filed a disc and how difficult would it be to find the one you miss filed? hehehehe. i guess you would have to run through every disc.

Each unit has to be plugged into the wall to operate. I use two large wall strips to plug all ten into. I leave the wall strips turned on, so they can be used manually at any time. There is a sliding door in the front which keeps the dust out. This door also wakes the unit up when you open it & lights up the unit.

If your PC is on & the USB lines are connected, then you are able to use the movie collector software which is interconnected to the units. You now can eject discs within the software. I keep a backup of all software on another hard drive. I keep new movies on my desk until I have 4 or 5 to store, then make a backup of CDLIB & movie collector software at the same time.

I usually only take one movie out at a time. I just leave the door open on that unit until I return the disc. You can't blow it that way because its the only unit with the door open.

Dennis
post #38 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 03:02 PM

@Dennis1951

Jeeeezus.. Where do you keep the cases? I like the cases so I don't wanna just throw them away. Nice setup though, I have around 500 HD/Blu and 400+ SDs, maybe I will look into your setup. Thanks for the pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Formerly: My Blu-ray/HD DVD collection
post #39 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 04:15 PM

I took most all mine out of the cases and put them in a couple of those big 320 disc binders. Boxes in the garage, binders in the living room. Never had a problem and cheap. I've never seen any wear on the discs from being in the binders.

If you figure that with that many movies, you probably aren't going to get to some of them maybe every couple of years, if you even watch them a second (or first) time, so they aren't sliding in and out of the sleeves very often.
post #40 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:

You can have 400 DVD's/changer and enter the titles of the movies using a computer keyboard and sort them by number, alphabetical order, folder, etc. just access the titles using your TV. Take a look at the picture attached.
LL
post #41 of 118 Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
post #42 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:

I use DVD Profiler to assign the DVD a number (Say it's DVD # 745, it goes in slot 345 in changer 2), then I use a macro that tells the changer to switch to number 345. The macro is liked to a picture of the DVD cover in alphabetical order. It sounds confusing, but it's rather simple.

Read through this thread, specifically for Lowpro's posts. It takes a little time to setup, but once you are done it's great.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...hread.cgi?3189
post #43 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture View Post

bholliday,

I just learned that DVD Profiler already has a plug-in to make it work with Dacal/Ziotek carousels.

where did you find this info out? I use DVD Profiler and hope this does work. Great idea.
thanks
I did find the plug-in on the DVD Profiler site forums.
post #44 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamfan View Post

You can have 400 DVD's/changer and enter the titles of the movies using a computer keyboard and sort them by number, alphabetical order, folder, etc. just access the titles using your TV. Take a look at the picture attached.

Why haven't they added a USB port to download that information from a database or spreadsheet rather than have to type it?

The thought of having to type in the information for hundreds of CDs and DVDs is a big turnoff for me to use one of these units.
post #45 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM
T2k

I think for cataloging and tracking your stuff - including movies, DVDs, music, books etc and exporting, borrowing, custom listing, reviewing etc - the best online place is Listal: http://www.listal.com
They even have Amazon bookmarklet for quickly adding to your collection, let alone integrated search functions with UK and other sources.
post #46 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 AM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

Why haven't they added a USB port to download that information from a database or spreadsheet rather than have to type it?

The thought of having to type in the information for hundreds of CDs and DVDs is a big turnoff for me to use one of these units.

See above. You can also buy a USB barcode reader or just use a webcam with any regular cataloging software and then export it and import it into Listal for online purposes.
post #47 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

I am glad to see someone else who uses collectorz.com software. I use both the cd and dvd. I used these: http://www.meritline.com/720-cd-dvd-...llet-case.html

I have the 720 and 500. Love them. I just print up a sheet for each in pdf. Have them on my computer. When I want to watch/listen to something I just look it up and find what disk it is and pull it.

I put all the cd/dvd holders in boxes and stored them in my garage.

"Me Personally, I want to slay the dragon"
post #48 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is anyone here using Sony DVP-CX995V units like these just for physical storage and retrieval: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10151

If so how is it woking out for you, what are the downsides?

Thnak you.
post #49 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This looks like a very nice option if you want to ditch the DVD boxes (which I do): http://www.meritline.com/400-capacit...mega-case.html

Using this with DVD profiler might be a very nice inexpensive setup to catalog and store large numbers of DVD's in a simple efficient way.
post #50 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080eyes View Post

where did you find this info out? I use DVD Profiler and hope this does work. Great idea.
thanks
I did find the plug-in on the DVD Profiler site forums.

Hi,

Could you please direct us to the appropriate plug-in? Name or link.

Thanks.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rip them, transfer to BD, get one of the 200 disc players use up 140-150 BD50 or so. Can still index them with the appropriate software, etc.

I wouldn't be sanguine about that big of a RAID array being any cheaper (or reliable).

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss

PSN: Uxi

post #52 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are the links to the DVD Profiler carousel plug-in, as I recall it is defaulted to the Ziotek carousels but will work with just about any brand of carousel:

DVD Profiler Load DVD (carousel) plug in: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze39sc9/mediadogg/id1.html

DVD Profiler/plug-in forum for LoadDVD: http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?t...topicID=166395

I am a big fan of DVD Profiler and have used it to catalog my large DVD collection. Search and retrieval functions are very versitile, fast and easy to get your DVD's into it's database. Search your database of DVD's by genre, actor name even soundtrack (e.g., "show me all my DVD's with a DTS soundtrack") and lots more. Displays cover art too.
post #53 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are the links to the DVD Profiler carousel plug-in, as I recall it is defaulted to the Ziotek carousels but will work with just about any brand of carousel:

DVD Profiler Load DVD (carousel) plug in: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze39sc9/mediadogg/id1.html

DVD Profiler/plug-in forum for LoadDVD: http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?t...topicID=166395

I am a big fan of DVD Profiler and have used it to catalog my large DVD collection. Search and retrieval functions are very versitile, fast and easy to get your DVD's into it's database. Search by genre, actor name even soundtrack ("show me all my DVD's with a DTS soundtrack") and lots more. Displays cover art too.

Hi Big,

Thanks.

I'm glad you started this thread.

Yes, I'm a big DVD Profiler fan as well, and with this plug-in and Ziotek carousels it looks like a winning combination.

Notwithstanding Dennis' encouraging experience, in reading the reviews of Amazon.com reviewers I'm still a bit concerned about the build quality.

Larry

post #54 of 118 Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Is anyone here using Sony DVP-CX995V units like these just for physical storage and retrieval: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...&storeId=10151

If so how is it woking out for you, what are the downsides?

Thnak you.

I have a 985V; the 995V is the latest version (see my post#46). There are no negatives from my point of view in 2 years of use. There is even a way to piggy-back 2 of these units but I only have 1 unit. I use mine to play CD's, DVD's, DVD+R DL, DVD-R, SACD's to complement a Pioneer 300+1 CD Changer.

Saves a bunch of clutter in the house

Wish List: BluRay Disc capability
post #55 of 118 Old 03-01-2008, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Sony 995 does not upscale SD DVD's to 1080i over component, I use a HTPC for that with excellent results. My projector does not have an HDMI input. I am curious about the feasibility of using 995 units just for storage and retrieval, is anyone using them just for this?
post #56 of 118 Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 AM

I dont see any reason why you cant use the 995 just for storage and retrieval although there have been many posts in this thread which seem to be better for this simple purpose.
It would make better sense IMHO to use the 995 as a player if you could find a "box" that could (decode the upscaled HDMI video from the 995) spit it out on it's component outputs....OR...upgrade to a projector with HDMI inputs

FWIW, I hate freakin HDMI and how it threw everybody to a loop in the video and audio world
post #57 of 118 Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ff,

I think the main issue in using the 995 just for storage and retrieval is the durability of the door with constant open and closing use plus the physical act of actually getting the discs in and out and returning them to the correct slot, I found this to be an awkward process with Sony carousel players that held 300 CD's unless it was located at eye level even then it was a little awkward.

There is a hardware adapter solution to convert 1080p HDMI to component here: http://www.hdfury.com/ but my HTPC will still produce better results over component and I will always use a HTPC for all the other neat things it can do in a home theater.

I really do like the concept of 400 DVD's stored in such a small space and DVD Profiler can be easily linked to the 995. The Sony 995's would also be more cost effective for storage for larger DVD collections than the ZioTek carousel units which only hold 150 DVD's though.
post #58 of 118 Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Big Picture, I believe there are megachangers on the market (some higher-end Sony models, if I'm not mistaken) that you can hook up to an HTPC and transfer data in the digital domain (just like from an external DVD-ROM) and play the movies through the HTPC. You might want to do some research there, it could be just the thing you need. By the way, MyMovies supports some of these changers.
post #59 of 118 Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Some of these automated solutions scare me.

I like a computerized list, , but I like now the 4 sided towers for cost and WAF browsing , like looking at your own video rental store shelf. Even though I have a dediated Wall o' DVDs" no, thats what I would do if I had to do it over.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

post #60 of 118 Old 03-01-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The advantages of a computerized cataloging system are many, especially in the retrieval area such as search by genre and actor name etc., my memory can't handle the 700+ and growing collection I have. So I need this.

To anyone interested in exploring a computerized cataloging system DVD Profile has a free use system to try out, there are other programs out there but I am only familiar with DVD profiler, it is simple to setup, easy to use and can also be linked to various hardware playback setups. I have no connection to DVD Profiler.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page