Discussion on the 60%/9% BluRay awareness/penetration article on the home page - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 547 Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Success of a disk based system is pretty important for Walmart. To that end, Blu Ray has a powerful ally here. However, I seem to recall that the Samsung Blu Ray player could be had for around $275 for until Jan of this year and you got a bunch of free disks. I am not sure why the Magnvox will bring in more new buyers at a faster rate than Samsung did. But for existing owners, having a place with ongoing $15 Blu Ray titles will be a huge boost in my opinion.

I am guessing Walmart will do 9.99 title sales and $99 players soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 547 Old 06-10-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

Success of a disk based system is pretty important for Walmart. To that end, Blu Ray has a powerful ally here. However, I seem to recall that the Samsung Blu Ray player could be had for around $275 for until Jan of this year and you got a bunch of free disks. I am not sure why the Magnvox will bring in more new buyers at a faster rate than Samsung did. But for existing owners, having a place with ongoing $15 Blu Ray titles will be a huge boost in my opinion.

I am guessing Walmart will do 9.99 title sales and $99 players soon.

I think the Magnavox for under $300 could be more attractive because the format war is over, so there's little to be concerned with in buying into a format. Still not sure if WalMart shoppers will pay more en masse for HD, but it can't hurt.
post #543 of 547 Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Some off topic posts have been removed.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #544 of 547 Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post

My local Walmart has just opened a full Blu-ray isle full of media and players in the AV section. They are featuring a $298.00 Magnavox player in the center of the display. They also had a sale on and I picked up Shooter for $15 and the SD version is $11.95 in Walmart so $3 more for full HD - YES!

I think disc price is going to be a large part of adoption rate. People can justify buying the dvd as it is the same or less than tickets for 2 to the movies. At $30 that justification dries up and only the videophiles will be buying Blu ray discs at that price.
post #545 of 547 Old 06-12-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon View Post

I think disc price is going to be a large part of adoption rate. People can justify buying the dvd as it is the same or less than tickets for 2 to the movies. At $30 that justification dries up and only the videophiles will be buying Blu ray discs at that price.

People justify all kinds of things...

$5 mocha lattes...$20 scratch tickets...$300 iphones.

Besides $30 is the impulse buy at the B & M. Online, (and now at the Mart) discs can be purchased for $15 to $25.
post #546 of 547 Old 06-12-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I just checked out the BR selection at our local Block Buster and Rogers Video (Toronto) and the Blu Ray displays were front and center, with the Blu Ray rental sections certainly having expanded. Now there are quite a number of movies for rent that I'd actually want to see. And the workers at both stores say it's expanding by several titles a week. I also heard them advise some customers who enquired about Blu Ray, that "Blu Ray was the future" for movie media.

What really blew me away was right after that I went to buy a drink at our local "Saks" convenience store - a sort of small 24-hour mart like a 7-11. Behind the counter, above the cigarettes, prominently displayed were rows of Blu Ray discs for sale! I couldn't believe it. Further, they were good new titles and all priced at around $18 each - whereas in Best Buy etc the same titles are often $15 more. The guy behind the cash was quite enthusiastic about Blu Ray.

Weird, but must be some indication this Blu Ray stuff is penetrating mass consciousness.
post #547 of 547 Old 06-13-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page