How do you make Blu Ray movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If a certain movie title is just simply not available in Blu-Ray how do you create one?

Is there a software to do this? And if so i'm guessing you burn it in in a Blu Ray drive on a PC/Mac correct? On an average how long does it take to create one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

If a certain movie title is just simply not available in Blu-Ray how do you create one?

Is there a software to do this? And if so i'm guessing you burn it in in a Blu Ray drive on a PC/Mac correct? On an average how long does it take to create one?

Thanks

You would need to record an HD version of the movie. You can legally do this with a PC and HD over-the-air broadcasts and many HD cable stations.

They you just need some software, and there is a bunch out there, to convert the movie and burn it. I would suggest creating an AVCHD disc over Blu-ray. BD burners and discs are currently way over priced. With AVCHD you can burn to a DVD.

Even pirates that rip Blu-ray discs, use the AVCHD format (but please don't engage in piracy).
Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Thanks

You can't magically create a blu-ray from a standard definition source. For exemple, there would be no point to take a DVD 720x480 movie and reencode it to AVCHD just to burn it on a blu-ray disk. You'll end up with a very expensive copy of the DVD if you factor in the time that willbe needed to transcode and burn it. And since all BR player can read DVD there would be no point.

You can author a BR disk with a HD source (1280x720 or 1920x1080) if you have one of those lying around. There are many tutorial around on the net for this. You'll need a few piece of software, some hardware (the burner) and plenty of free time and patience.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

I would suggest creating an AVCHD disc over Blu-ray. BD burners and discs are currently way over priced. With AVCHD you can burn to a DVD.

You don't create "avchd" disks on Blu Ray. "Avchd disks" are a slang so-to-speak to describe the avchd format being burnt to dvd media.

More to the point and contrary to popular belief... avchd is a format created by cam manufacturers to maintain some kind of standard. Avchd does not really exist outside the wonderful world of video cameras.

What goes on Blu Ray is AVC/h.264..... (or vc1... or mpeg2...etc, but we refine this to the topic at hand) and there is a difference. avchd is restricted to bitrates of either a maximum of18 or 24 Mbps (depending on the profile type used) while AVC is not. If you watch a Blu Ray movie with "display" on you will see your bit rate go as high as 40Mbps or so.
Avchd will NEVER reach these bit rates.... the bit rate is restricted by the avchd specifications.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post

I would suggest creating an AVCHD disc over Blu-ray. BD burners and discs are currently way over priced. With AVCHD you can burn to a DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

You don't create "avchd" disks on Blu Ray. "Avchd disks" are a slang so-to-speak to describe the avchd format being burnt to dvd media.

Did you even read my post??????

Quote:

More to the point and contrary to popular belief... avchd is a format created by cam manufacturers to maintain some kind of standard. Avchd does not really exist outside the wonderful world of video cameras.

And video software..and media players...etc.
Quote:

What goes on Blu Ray is AVC/h.264..... (or vc1... or mpeg2...etc, but we refine this to the topic at hand) and there is a difference. avchd is restricted to bitrates of either a maximum of18 or 24 Mbps (depending on the profile type used) while AVC is not. If you watch a Blu Ray movie with "display" on you will see your bit rate go as high as 40Mbps or so.
Avchd will NEVER reach these bit rates.... the bit rate is restricted by the avchd specifications.

Think of AVCHD as Blu-ray on red laser DVDs (like what you said above). Many, rather than buying all new hardware and $10 write once discs, use AVCHD to save their photos, home video and even archive their HDM. Pirates use it too, but we won't talk about them.

I take my photos and create HD slide shows on AVCHD since the discs cost 10 cents and are compatible with many HD players. After all, most digital photos are more than 1080p. I also have a bunch of HD OTA broadcasts I recordered with my PC that I saved on AVCHD discs. I know people that have all 3 LotR movies in HD on disc that were recorded from HD cable.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

Did you even read my post??????

Actually yes, I did but apparently not correctly... sorry!

On another note... blu ray media is not that expensive anymore. You can get a 25gig disk for as low as $2.99 (newegg.com). That's about the same as a verbatim double layer dvd
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

On another note... blu ray media is not that expensive anymore. You can get a 25gig disk for as low as $2.99 (newegg.com). That's about the same as a verbatim double layer dvd

Verbatim DL typical going rate is $1.20-1.30/disc from Newegg (Sams, OfficeMax, and Best Buy often have about the same price). Occasionally you can get them close to $1 per disc though this has been pretty rare recently.

OTOH, the cheapest BD-R I see currently is $5 per disc and the Sony, Verbatim discs are $6.50+. Admittedly, I haven't kept up with BD-R prices so this could well be an odd week and I'm not sure which media is considered good quality. Are Ri-Data, Memorex, TDK brand BD-R's considered decent quality b/c their reputation in DVD media is certainly questionable.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, that's OK. I think we are both have the same view here. Also, thanks for the tip on discs. I have been putting off buying a BD burner because the prices were so high.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If only the one printable to hub were available at that price I would jump on it. I love creating my own disk art for the disk I burn.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

If only the one printable to hub were available at that price I would jump on it. I love creating my own disk art for the disk I burn.

Those aren't quite as cheap... but they're not a killer anymore. You can pick up a pack of 25 for $199. That's about $8 per disk.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:

The actual shipped cost of the $2.99 bluray disc comes to about $5 each when you order 10. If you order 1 it's going to be $10.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope that more and more BD players start supporting AVCHD. I just out about 2 hours of my older Sony Camcorder video one one DVD-DL disc. That camcorder shot video in 1440x1080i (they still called it 1080HD), so it took up less space. I must admit some of the video is stunning.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM

There is one case where I could see that it might make sense to burn SD material to BD: home video.

If I have an hour-long video taken with my miniDV camcorder, it will take up 12-13 GB on disc when I import it. That video then gets compressed to fit on a 4.7 GB DVD. With Blu-ray, I would assume it could be burned to disc without any further compression, resulting in a better image than a DVD would provide.

In theory, this ought to work. Does anyone know if it's practical to actually do?

Brian
Old 01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post

There is one case where I could see that it might make sense to burn SD material to BD: home video.

If I have an hour-long video taken with my miniDV camcorder, it will take up 12-13 GB on disc when I import it. That video then gets compressed to fit on a 4.7 GB DVD. With Blu-ray, I would assume it could be burned to disc without any further compression, resulting in a better image than a DVD would provide.

In theory, this ought to work. Does anyone know if it's practical to actually do?

Good question. If I put an uncompressed DV file on a DVD, I can not play it because even at 16x (or is it 32x?) speed, it is not fast enough. You could archive the files though and just copy them back to your hard drive when needed.

Personally, I have 3 old hard drives and one current one with my old uncompressed movies (as well as the tapes). Wh I move to a larger drive I put all my movies and pictures on the old one and store it in a safe place.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Uncompressed is great if you are thinking of editing in the future but if it is for archival purpose you can use a good codec and shrink that baby. If you do it correctly the impact on the visual is negligeable if not non existant.

Of course if you have money to burn or like to collect HDD you are free to do so, but junior will look just as good in an AVC h264 file than in DV.

Or if you want you can go halfway and use Huffyuv to compress it losslessly for at least a 2:1 ratio (can go to 3:1 but is likely lossy but without impact).
Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post

I don't see much difference between viewing the direct source from the camera and viewing the DVD at a 1 hour per 4.7 GB disk compression rate. If you were to go to a very low compression setting with 1 hour per DL DVD it would be very hard to find compression artifacts. I think that bigger quality issue for consumer video cams is the limitation of the camera rather than the compression.

What you really want to do is get an AVCHD camera and write these to standard DVDs. My Canon HF100 has a high bit rate setting that gives me 1 hour per 8 GB SDHC card. This can be burned to a DVD DL disk quick and easy. The results are truly amazing.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I would wait on the avchd cam.

Sanyo has just developed the first consumer level 1080/60p cam. It doesn't use avchd but rather straight avc/h.264. It's supposed to be pretty cheap too... $500 to $600. They'll be on the market soon.

I also see the 'writing to dvd media' dying in the near future. Blu Ray media has fallen in price pretty steeply in a relatively short period of time. Soon it won't make much sense to deal with dvd media.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I would wait on the avchd cam.

Sanyo has just developed the first consumer level 1080/60p cam. It doesn't use avchd but rather straight avc/h.264. It's supposed to be pretty cheap too... $500 to $600. They'll be on the market soon.

I also see the 'writing to dvd media' dying in the near future. Blu Ray media has fallen in price pretty steeply in a relatively short period of time. Soon it won't make much sense to deal with dvd media.

Will you be able to pull out the SDHC card, stick it in a PS3 or Panasonic BD player and watch the footage?

I am so happy that I don't have to deal with tapes anymore. I just skipped over optical media and HDD based systems and went straight to removable SDHC cards. Just too convenient.