Digital copy deadlines could be problematic - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Digital copy use is increasing, especially on Blu-ray Disc, but as the high-definition format is brought into more households, a potential hiccup is developing with transferable files.

A fine-print detail with many digital copies that are embedded on discs says that in order to be viewed, the files must be transferred from the discs to a computer or portable device within about 12 months of the release date. Once they're transferred, the digital copies can be played indefinitely, but if they aren't activated by the deadline, they're rendered useless. It's unclear whether digital copies that must be downloaded are affected by the deadline, but nowadays, most studios embed copies on discs.

With DVD, that's generally not a problem, as more than half a new release title's units, which usually carry digital copies, are bought by consumers in the first few weeks, giving plenty of time for transfers to be activated. However, Blu-ray new releases sit on shelves longer.

Fearful of angering consumers who unknowingly miss out on activating a copy, particularly on Blu-ray titles, a number of retailers wish studios would do more to stretch transfer deadlines.

Quote:

One key reason studios limit the activation period is to cut down on labor needed to help make the transfer run smoothly for consumers.

But continued adoption of Blu-ray means new release titles are often picked up by consumers months after their initial release.

At Amazon.com, for instance, Warner Home Video's Blu-ray digital-copy-enhanced The Dark Knight recently ranked No. 76 among the site's overall bestsellers, while the title's standard DVD/digital-copy counterpart ranked No. 427. There was a similarly wide high-def/standard discrepancy for Disney's WALL-E.

There appears to be a short list of quintessential Blu-rays (i.e. Planet Earth, Dark Knight, Iron Man, Transformers) that remain on our top seller list as new Blu-ray customers look to these titles as the foundation of their Blu-ray library, said Laura Orvidas, director and category leader for movies at Amazon.

InMotion Entertainment's Blu-ray titles sell 20% to 25% of units the first week on shelves, compared to 40% to 45% for DVD versions.

You do see that with Blu-ray, the big spectacle movies will stay sale-priced for a while and be in prime positioning for four to five months, added Steve Torr, director of software purchasing at InMotion.

Quote:

Blu-ray consumers also are more likely to use digital copy than standard-def consumers, leading retailers to especially want files to be available for transfer as long as possible. Warner has determined that Blu-ray digital copies have twice the uptake rate as standard-definition copies.

Amazon is among retailers working to notify people about digital copy activation terms. In an FAQ section, the site warns that The Dark Knight copy must be transferred by Dec. 9, one year after its initial bow, to be workable.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6670116.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Gee that sounds like a issue BD-Live was born to solve.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Gee that sounds like a issue BD-Live was born to solve.

Or Managed Copy.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 06:51 PM

Glad to see that Amazon is leading the fight though. Great merchant.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Seriously, this should be a reasonably easy issue to manage. It could be a macro fix and just allow an extended activation to occur after the normal expiration period and should be able to be coordinated with BD-Live titles. How many Blu-ray's had digital copies that were not BD-Live? Even if they put up a 1 800 number on their website.

In the case of tentpole releases that new owners are still buying it would be a real issue. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are certainly titles that many new Blu-ray owners will pick up soon after they buy a Blu-ray player, even years from now.

Seems awful foolish for studios to assume that a release , especially for Blu-ray , would not be in retail inventory for only one year. Probably also get them in trouble with consumer and state attorney generals as a display packaging issue if a promised benefit on the box was not active on a new consumer retail purchase. Consumers are not required to know release dates and stuff like that when buying things. Unless the limited time offer expiration date is clearly written on the packaging.

Bad consumer purchase goodwill mojo as well. I can't imagine that they would not fix this.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I just opened my Bolt BD yesterday and it has DC. I have it about two months and recalled some discussion about time limits, so I figured I wouldn't put it off anymore. I ran into a minor glitch and called DIsney. Let me tell you they are more than welcoming and want to do everything possible to make things right with regards to DC for the consumer. In most cases if a DC failed to load, a code was lost or even out of date, they are working with people to replace the lost code with a working one right over the phone without having to send in anything or do anything else. They even help walk you through the process. I think there will be little to worry about on this issue and the studios will step up and do the right thing because really it is in their interests to do just that.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I just opened my Bolt BD yesterday and it has DC. I have it about two months and recalled some discussion about time limits, so I figured I wouldn't put it off anymore. I ran into a minor glitch and called DIsney. Let me tell you they are more than welcoming and want to do everything possible to make things right with regards to DC for the consumer. In most cases if a DC failed to load, a code was lost or even out of date, they are working with people to replace the lost code with a working one right over the phone without having to send in anything or do anything else. They even help walk you through the process. I think there will be little to worry about on this issue and the studios will step up and do the right thing because really it is in their interests to do just that.

Another non-issue on the way to 60% by 2012.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-26-2009, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Seriously, this should be a reasonably easy issue to manage. It could be a macro fix and just allow an extended activation to occur after the normal expiration period and should be able to be coordinated with BD-Live titles. How many Blu-ray's had digital copies that were not BD-Live? Even if they put up a 1 800 number on their website.

In the case of tentpole releases that new owners are still buying it would be a real issue. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are certainly titles that many new Blu-ray owners will pick up soon after they buy a Blu-ray player, even years from now.

Seems awful foolish for studios to assume that a release , especially for Blu-ray , would not be in retail inventory for only one year. Probably also get them in trouble with consumer and state attorney generals as a display packaging issue if a promised benefit on the box was not active on a new consumer retail purchase. Consumers are not required to know release dates and stuff like that when buying things. Unless the limited time offer expiration date is clearly written on the packaging.

Bad consumer purchase goodwill mojo as well. I can't imagine that they would not fix this.

I always thought the reason for the deadline was to encourage people to buy them sooner, rather than putting them off waiting for a price drop or sale (and then maybe deciding not to buy them at all). It's like Disney's limited availability of their classics, except in this case it's just the portable copy that's limited.

But, I can see how it's an issue with a steadily growing format.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page