Question regarding BD-Live Bookmark feature - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me start off my saying that I don’t have my Blu-ray player connected to the internet. I have BD-Live disable on my player.

On several BD-Live discs, I notice that there is a bookmark feature. I cleverly add a bookmark, so when I stop the movie and play it again and I can go back to where I left off. The problem is: once I turn off the player or eject the disc, I lose the bookmark.

So, my question is: if I plug in a USB flash drive, will my bookmark save onto there? If yes, then do I have to enable BD-Live in order for it to do so or is it ok to leave it disabled?

Forgive me for my ignorant question, but I’m a Blu-ray newcomer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone? This is not a trick question.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I am guessing that it depends on how they code it.

I have been using the 'Season Play' feature on Lost and it works great - I can watch other discs in between, etc.

As far as I know it is storing this in the player, not in the 'BD Live' memory, but I have not done anything to confirm or deny.

On the plus side, it is clear from Season Play that titles can store their playback stopping location for future reference...

Hopefully more titles will start to do this.

Content is key. See the stats -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #4 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

Actually, someone here at my job just answered my question. He said yes. Wow! Blu-ray is cooler than I thought. Anyways, I'll buy a USB flash drive on the way home and see how it works.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Some players have options in there setup on whether or not to use internal or external memory for those functions.

BTW, what was your player model and what was the solution in case others have the same probeem?

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

post #6 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

Some players have options in there setup on whether or not to use internal or external memory for those functions.

BTW, what was your player model and what was the solution in case others have the same probeem?

Samsung BD-P1600

I'll try it at home to see if it really works. Will report back later tonight.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, tried it. Doesn't work. I knew that kind of a feature would be too cool to ask for.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Ok, tried it. Doesn't work. I knew that kind of a feature would be too cool to ask for.

I here y'a, have not tried on my DMP-BD55. I use MIT MDP-120s for OTA recording and playback (via HTPCs) and they have Bookmark features. They have the same limitation as the BD player, quit the MIT application and you lose your bookmarks. Sure seems like MIT could have stored the bookmarks on the HHD.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sometimes I wonder what the point of the bookmark feature is for, then. It's like putting a bookmark in your book so you know where you left off, but if you don't touch the book after few hours, the bookmark flies out of the book and you lose your spot.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Sometimes I wonder what the point of the bookmark feature is for, then. It's like putting a bookmark in your book so you know where you left off, but if you don't touch the book after few hours, the bookmark flies out of the book and you lose your spot.

It sounds like players are handling the feature differently. Would lack of true persistence be a bug?

I think bookmarking is implemented with BD-Java, not directly related to BD-Live. Whether each title that offers it handles it the same way, I don't know.

On the OPPO BDP-83, the bookmarks really are persistent and will survive firmware upgrades. There is an "Erase Persistent Storagge" option which will clear them, as well as any BD-Live data.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #11 of 12 Old 07-18-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind that many early players came with no storage memory or very little storage memory in order to keep the prices as low as possible. On the ones with no memory some needed to be added. With those with very little it could be used up pretty quickly.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-18-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It sounds like players are handling the feature differently. Would lack of true persistence be a bug?

I think bookmarking is implemented with BD-Java, not directly related to BD-Live. Whether each title that offers it handles it the same way, I don't know.

On the OPPO BDP-83, the bookmarks really are persistent and will survive firmware upgrades. There is an "Erase Persistent Storagge" option which will clear them, as well as any BD-Live data.

-Bill

If I stop the BD and play it again, the bookmark is still saved. However, powering off the player or ejecting the disc loses the bookmark.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page