Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO: 6502) announced today that the company has applied for membership of the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) and plans to introduce products that support the Blu-ray format.

As a market leader in digital technologies, Toshiba provides a wide range of advanced digital products, such as DVD recorders and players, HDTVs and notebook PCs that support a wide range of storage devices, including hard disk drives (HDD), DVD, and SD Cards. In light of recent growth in digital devices supporting the Blu-ray format, combined with market demand from consumers and retailers alike, Toshiba has decided to join the BDA.

Toshiba aims to introduce digital products that support the Blu-ray format, including BD players and notebook PCs integrating BD drives, in the course of this year. Details of the products, including the timing of regional launches, are now under consideration. We will make announcements in due course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is awesome news.

It's good to see that Toshiba finally smelled the roses. Blu-ray is THE hi-def disc format and they realized that they could not sit it out any longer.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, looks like Toshiba has opened their eyes and have seen that blu-ray is here to stay and it's time get some of the revenue.
Some will never buy blu-ray and have come to the conclusion that MediocreHiDef content via upconverting, streaming, cable, satellite or OTA is adequate and they will wait for 4K HDM to be available for the home.

Those who have bought in to blu-ray are wasting their money...

post #4 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
welcome aboard Toshiba. I guess they (Toshiba) feel the need to add Blu Ray support to their product line.....does that imply that Blu Ray is succeeding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I still think if Toshiba would have conceded on the physical disc structure that Sony would have accepted iHD/HDi which would have give MSFT little reason to object to the format. Though hindsight is 20/20.

Thankfully Toshiba finally sees the light, but I suspect that retailers were pushing Toshiba because they didn't have a total solution package like Sony, Samsung and some of the other major display makers.

post #6 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I still think if Toshiba would have conceded on the physical disc structure that Sony would have accepted iHD/HDi which would have give MSFT little reason to object to the format. Though hindsight is 20/20.

Toshiba could only have agreed to a different disc structure if discs could have been replicated on excisting DVD production equipment.
Now we have the situation that the huge investments are needed to put up a new parallel production structure for BD. Which coupled with huge licencing fees, makes it too expensive for smaller companies to release their movies on BD.
post #7 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Which coupled with huge licencing fees, makes it too expensive for smaller companies to release their movies on BD.

I can confirm that this is the case for one small studio I've authored discs for. I badly want to create some BD titles for them, but with niche content, the various fees required to get started are often a fairly big risk.

The situation is improving, though. AACS recently lowered their fees, but this particular studio (not one you'll probably have heard of) seriously resents paying for a copy protection system that they do not want to include.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #8 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Off topic comments deleted and edited. Similar format war comments will result in the loss of ability to participate at AVS.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 40 Old 08-10-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Toshiba could only have agreed to a different disc structure if discs could have been replicated on excisting DVD production equipment.
Now we have the situation that the huge investments are needed to put up a new parallel production structure for BD. Which coupled with huge licencing fees, makes it too expensive for smaller companies to release their movies on BD.

Personally, I don't really care about the smaller niche companies. BD probably needs to grow in installed units first so the possible revenue returns offset the initial investment in creating BD content.

The costs for producing DVD content was high initially as well.

post #10 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Those who have bought in to blu-ray are wasting their money...

I guess their XDE upscaling players didn't fly off the shelves.
post #11 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozster View Post

So hopefully they'll release something like BD-XA2 which I would most definitely buy over Oppo.

According to a well known site that does "benchmark" tests, the XA2 ranked very high (95%), but was still behind the oppo 981HD (96%) and rated lower than the new Oppo BD83 player (which received a 98%).

While the XA2 was/is a great player, there are better performers for a lower price. So I wouldn't pass over Oppo for the Toshiba name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 AM

I look forward to the first news and reviews of the new Toshiba players.

I own 2 Toshiba DVD players, but stayed away from HD-DVD because it seemed obvious it was not going to win.

I imagine it would not add too much to the cost of a player for Toshiba to release a combo (HD-DVD\\Blu-ray), to accommodate past customers.

Who would have thought Toshiba would beat Apple to market with a Blu-ray Laptop?
post #13 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Digital View Post

I own 2 Toshiba DVD players, but stayed away from HD-DVD because it seemed obvious it was not going to win.

Though I entirely agree with you, you better tread lightly from this point...

Quote:

I imagine it would not add too much to the cost of a player for Toshiba to release a combo (HD-DVD\\Blu-ray), to accommodate past customers.

Who would have thought Toshiba would beat Apple to market with a Blu-ray Laptop?

It is not a trivial task to add HD DVD playback to a BD player. Just ask Samsung and LG how well they have been able to support their dual format players.

post #14 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HP has been shipping higher end laptops with BD for a while now. I picked up and internal for my PC a few months back for well under $100.

I want my HDM
post #15 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

It is not a trivial task to add HD DVD playback to a BD player. Just ask Samsung and LG how well they have been able to support their dual format players.

Plus the market is much more price competive today than it was 18 months ago. With their competition selling players under $100 I wouldn't think they could afford the extra cost to include a dual format player for the small number of HD DVD users out there.

I want my HDM
post #16 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post

Plus the market is much more price competive today than it was 18 months ago. With their competition selling players under $100 I wouldn't think they could afford the extra cost to include a dual format player for the small number of HD DVD users out there.

I would not consider sub $100 players competition for Toshiba. As they are more of a mid to high end player (usually). So Toshiba will want to add some value to their line-up. I know it's probably a tiny market, but there are still $1000 players out there.

Besides there is always this.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/betamaxhd.html

post #17 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
This is, of course, good news for Blu Ray. It's also good news for consumers. Another manufacturer on board is another competitor and that is always a good thing.
post #18 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If they have a wireless player with Blu Ray, Netflix and Amazon for around $250 they may have a good shot compared to Sony, Panasonic and the like. They could add the XDE feature for DVD upscaling as well.

A higher end model that post processes Netflix could also be nice.
post #19 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
There's some gushing about the XA2 in this thread. I have one. It's 'ok', but certainly not worth the price I paid for it. There are comparable/better Blu-ray players in the market now that cost less than the XA2 did.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #20 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

There's some gushing about the XA2 in this thread. I have one. It's 'ok', but certainly not worth the price I paid for it. There are comparable/better Blu-ray players in the market now that cost less than the XA2 did.

How memories work!

I was talking with a friend and the subject of DVD and Blu-ray came up; I recommended Blu-ray to him, he of course has DVD.

Then he remembered visiting my house in 1991 (he lives in Iowa and I am in SF Bay Area) and seeing my LD system with Kloss projector. He asked me if they were still making those wonderful laserdisks, and wow, that was the best thing he had ever seen, did they still make those?

I had to explain to him that DVD quality was in fact better than LD by a fair amount. He did not want to believe this, so intent was he at thinking what I had showed him in 1991 was the ultimate.

People sometimes like to remember the past more fondly than we should.

On the other hand, sometimes memory is spot-on. I just saw Cleopatra in 70mm last week for the first time since the original release in 1963. Yup, 70mm is just as good as I remember.
post #21 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Besides there is always this.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/betamaxhd.html

Awesome! I can't believe I missed that one last year!
post #22 of 40 Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Please stay on topic and leave the China HD player out of the discussion.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #23 of 40 Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 AM

no chance toshiba will release a dual format player. just the way they droped the format, not to mention the bad job promoting, one wonders why they did make hd dvd at all. following their actions and now them joining blu, you could probably see a panasonic dual format player around a possibility than a toshiba one.
post #24 of 40 Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you'll ever see another dual player from anyone. It's been gone for too long and the demand is just way too low.
post #25 of 40 Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHD View Post

Awesome! I can't believe I missed that one last year!

Ric-rolled again

post #26 of 40 Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Turning Point for Toshiba

Toshiba's decision to join the BDA marks a turnabout in the company's positioning, not only from the standpoint of supporting a rival format, but also from the physical media perspective. At last year's IFA, the consumer electronics show in Berlin, Toshiba said it didn't believe in physical media. The company reiterated its stance at The Home Entertainment Show in Denver in January and at the Japan Electronics Show. Toshiba was betting on the Internet as a content-delivery mechanism.

"Toshiba joining the Blu-ray Disc Association is a true turning point. The company is recognizing that consumers still include discs as part of their media choice," said Richard Doherty, principal analyst at the Envisioneering Group. Doherty expects Toshiba to make a Blu-ray product announcement at the 2009 IFA show in Berlin. Toshiba's press conference is scheduled for one hour before the BDA's.

"Toshiba is supporting Blu-ray because it has interactive features they'd like to see work with SD cards and the Internet," Doherty said. "If Toshiba hadn't joined the Blu-ray group, they would be on the outs of being able to produce products to capitalize on the growth of this format."

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=022002HW5OLI
post #27 of 40 Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

This is, of course, good news for Blu Ray. It's also good news for consumers. Another manufacturer on board is another competitor and that is always a good thing.

I dunno. It's not like the BDA was about to fall over or anything. Cause if it were, Toshiba's throwin' their hat into the ring wouldn't change a thing. In fact, they wouldn't even bother to join. More than anything, this is good news for Toshiba.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #28 of 40 Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Toshiba just needs to make decent products again!
post #29 of 40 Old 08-13-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

It's certainly a great day.
post #30 of 40 Old 08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

And how many BD players were competitive or better at the XA2's price at the time of it's release?

I personally welcome the fact that Toshiba is joining the BD crowd, the more the better for the consumer.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page