post #61 of 69 Old 09-26-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

And for 40.00 a month at Hollywood video I get "unlimited" BD and game rentals without having to wait for something that is less quality to download.

OK, I may have to look into that again. For now I use Blockbuster (Blu-ray) with the 3-At-A-Time plan for $16.00 a month. May switch back to Netflix if they come up with a better deal.[/quote]

Quote:

This thread is asking if BD will be here in two years. Not only will it be here in two years it will take over DVD by the end of 2011.

With the numbers X-Men Origins and other top A titles are doing plus the drop in player prices you may be right. I was somewhat surprised at the large stacks of BD players at the local Wally Worlds and Sam's Club (I consider myself in a technology desert). The 4th Q should be interesting for BD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 09-26-2009, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

OK, I may have to look into that again. For now I use Blockbuster (Blu-ray) with the 3-At-A-Time plan for $16.00 a month. May switch back to Netflix if they come up with a better deal.

With the numbers X-Men Origins and other top A titles are doing plus the drop in player prices you may be right. I was somewhat surprised at the large stacks of BD players at the local Wally Worlds and Sam’s Club (I consider myself in a technology desert). The 4th Q should be interesting for BD.

post #63 of 69 Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

And the reason they put bandwidth caps relates to the question I asked about servers and capacity. It isn't there where it needs to be. And for 40.00 a month at Hollywood video I get "unlimited" BD and game rentals without having to wait for something that is less quality to download.

Do some research. Bandwidth caps have more to do with anti-competitive practices. The caps do not reflect the financial realities of the ISPs, in particular how much it costs them to provide the bandwidth versus how much they are charging.

Caps are all about protecting content provider monopolies.

Quote:

What am I thinking or rather not thinking when I get into these discussions talking about digital downloads....This thread is asking if BD will be here in two years. Not only will it be here in two years it will take over DVD by the end of 2011.

That may be true if DVD plummets at an average of 20% a year. I am sure the studios would be happier if Blu-ray was growing the pie instead of taking a higher revenue percentage (at higher cost) of a shrinking pie.
post #64 of 69 Old 09-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:

If others have performance that equals my area then they can expect to get real world speeds that are about ⅓ that of the rated speed. Even at ½ of the rated speed folks will have to spend $53.00 a month just for DVD quality.

Too bad about your area. I am getting great ISP performance.

And the "DVD quality" is a total misrepresentation. No major video provider is hindered by DVDs limitation of MPEG-2. In fact, those providing Digital Distribution services have more flexibility to implement codec improvements than Blu-ray.

To be fair, none of the folks currently doing Digital Distribution match Blu-rays quality however they are providing very good 1080p video at a fraction of Blu-rays bandwidth.

If there is consumer demand for even great video quality, I have no doubt that Digital Distribution will surpass Blu-ray quality in the next 2-3 years. The only issue is whether there is demand for such quality from the consumer.
post #65 of 69 Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

It's amazing to see the same names shilling for each format Disc or downloads. However the question was will blu-ray be around in 2 years. I would guess most probably. As a Collector I have about 50 VHS tapes, over 500 DVD's, and haven't bought any of those in recent memory, and over a 75 Blu's, and growing. There is currently no hold in your hands format other than Blu, and its predecessor DVD. I know I am not the only "weirdo" who likes to collect movies, concerts, National Geo specials, and as Blu gets more mainstream there will be more people joining my ranks. Downloads and VOD are great for time sensitive programming like TV shows, and renting movies that are not keepers, but I am having more and more difficulty spending 4-5$ for On demand that has a 15 day max window, vs about 20$ for keeping something forever especially when my viewing habits change month to month.
I am not going to discuss B/W caps, and speeds as those really dont pertain to this discussion, other than for those who prefer downloads should really pay for the infrastructure to support it. As the early adopters for all formats do.

Support The Facts - Not Opinions
post #66 of 69 Old 09-27-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post

Too bad about your area. I am getting great ISP performance.

What BS. Until you tell us which level of performance you are paying for such statements are irrelevant. With the $99.00 a month plan you should be getting great performance.
post #67 of 69 Old 09-27-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikin View Post

It's amazing to see the same names shilling for each format Disc or downloads.

Yes, I have been doing that a long time in this section. For many years we dominated this area with D-VHS D-Theater® related post. Most of us knew that format would have a relative short life span (I still have one D-VHS machine). If I am around when the next physical (holographic film, SSM, etc.) format comes along then I will be here posting for that format.
post #68 of 69 Old 09-30-2009, 02:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Yep, Blu Ry will be here. People like physical media... and cheap Christmas gifts!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #69 of 69 Old 09-30-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:

What BS. Until you tell us which level of performance you are paying for such statements are irrelevant. With the $99.00 a month plan you should be getting great performance.

I am certainly not paying $99 a month.

My performance is stable and great for video streaming. There is not a single service I have used where I do not consistently get the best quality out there. And I know I am not alone.

Getting good video streaming to the home is not a major issue for most people. And the numbers are improving all the time. Comcast has been doubling their customers speeds (at no extra charge) over the last few months with the roll-out of DOCSIS 3.0, and expect to have that complete to all their customer by the end of 2010.

Things are improving and will only get better.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page