post #181 of 192 Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter View Post

its all fun and games until one of those flipper discs seperates inside your player. especially if you get it from netflix.

EDIT- then the all encompassing "it sucks to be you" will be heard.

All DVDs are two pieces glued together. How often have you had DVDs separate in your player. Seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

But how many are 4 pieces? I've never seen a DVD18.
post #183 of 192 Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Everyone email UNi about it quick...

http://www.universalstudios.com/cont...hp?email_id=10

Thank you for the link. I sent Universal a note telling them I am happy they are releasing Blu-ray/DVD combo discs, as I was also happy with the HD DVD combo discs (and I have never had a problem with any of mine).

The even better part of these new discs is that they are being sold at NO premium over the cost of Blu-ray-only titles. I saw the Bourne discs at Fry's Electronics for US$15 each. If I didn't already have all three on HD DVD, I would have bought them all.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #184 of 192 Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

My Bourne discs worked fine...no explosions...no fragmented disc parts...just the movie in BD quality. Dvd on the other side.
post #185 of 192 Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Only if they stop selling pure DVDs. I fail to see how this gimmick will entice anyone to adopt BDs.

I can see this working...lots of families have DVD systems in their vehicle. To my knowledge, BD players are not offered in vehicles. So this enables them to buy one disc that can be played both at home in hi-def and in standard-def in the car.

Now, for this to work, the pricing must make sense. As mentioned in a previous post, it's nicer to have two separate discs...one BD that only the adults handle and one DVD that can either stay in the car or that the kids can handle. So the price for one disc should be lower, otherwise I'd rather have two separate discs.

But, assuming no technical difficulties or production cost issues, I can see all the movie companies wanting to get both the SD and HD content on one disc (just to prevent people from giving the DVD to a friend of selling it on e-bay, thus preventing a sale that the movie company might have got).

The devil's in the details. We'll have to see what the costs and compatibility turns out to be.
post #186 of 192 Old 02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

The even better part of these new discs is that they are being sold at NO premium over the cost of Blu-ray-only titles. I saw the Bourne discs at Fry's Electronics for US$15 each. If I didn't already have all three on HD DVD, I would have bought them all.

Nice! That sounds like a winning formula that should get some new people to buy some BD's. I also have all the bourne movies on HD DVD, but the first two don't have lossless sound...so I'm tempted to pick up these BD's. Yes, I know I'd fail a double-blind audio test miserably, but I still like the idea of lossless sound
post #187 of 192 Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Universal Announces Four Catalog Films on Blu-ray

Quote:

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced that it will release four titles from its catalog (two of them new to high-definition disc) on Blu-ray on April 27: Dune, The Jackal, Out of Africa and Traffic.

With the exception of Dune, they will be released in the now-familiar "flipper" DVD/BD two-sided combo disc.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4124
post #188 of 192 Old 02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If the Universal dual format disc proves its worth then it will be interesting to see if Technicolor offers a dual-sided, dual-layer Blu-ray disc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 192 Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Universal has changed the packaging for their BD Combos - just scroll down:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
post #190 of 192 Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Combo is the proper name for these discs, as they are essentially the same as the previous HD/SD versions. "Flipper" discs have always been DVDs with the movie split onto both sides of one disc.

Regarding those true "flipper" discs, it amazed me at the time the DVD format began that there were no auto-side-changing players on the market. I figured that half the players would have this feature right from day one, as it would be the most obvious step-up feature to offer, and considering how long it took for Laser Disc players to have this feature and how much of an advance it was. I guess the manufacturers knew what was coming, specifically the elimination of movies spread out over both sides of one disc.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #191 of 192 Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Regarding those true "flipper" discs, it amazed me at the time the DVD format began that there were no auto-side-changing players on the market.

I also wondered about that. While I think much of it never happend because the need for 18GB DVD didnt really exist until LOTR EE. It could have been a nice feature that someone should have developed it.

But I guess the studios saw a value in multidisc releases.
post #192 of 192 Old 02-05-2010, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Combo is the proper name for these discs, as they are essentially the same as the previous HD/SD versions. "Flipper" discs have always been DVDs with the movie split onto both sides of one disc.

I agree, but you can understand why they may want to stay away from the term "Combo". The internet has a long memory and there were more than a few negative things said about the HD DVD combo discs...
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page