Are bluray buyers prejudice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im wondering if you people that have moved from DVD to BR ever buy sddvds anylonger? OR do you feel the difference is just far above sddvds and you cant stomach looking at them any more?

OR do you buy sddvds and enjoy them right along side of the BR's?? Im looking at "maybe" getting into BR but I see too many good deals on sddvds and hate to pass them up.

I know HD will look better, but also know that sddvds look fine too..Its a struggle as to know what to do sometimes.. How about you all??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson View Post

Im wondering if you people that have moved from DVD to BR ever buy sddvds anylonger? OR do you feel the difference is just far above sddvds and you cant stomach looking at them any more?

OR do you buy sddvds and enjoy them right along side of the BR's?? Im looking at "maybe" getting into BR but I see too many good deals on sddvds and hate to pass them up.

I know HD will look better, but also know that sddvds look fine too..Its a struggle as to know what to do sometimes.. How about you all??

I don't think this is just a Bluray phenomena.

When I was fighting for HD DVD, I was the same way. Once I started buying HD DVDs, I stopped buying SD DVD almost completely. The same holds true now that I am buying Blurays.

Once in a while, Netflix will send me a DVD version by mistake instead of the Bluray version - I don't watch it, I just put it right back in the envelope.

The same thing happened when CDs came out - cassette tape and LP sales pretty much died out. I stopped buying VHS when DVD came out also.

I think this is a pretty normal phenomena.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I don't think this is just a Bluray phenomena.

When I was fighting for HD DVD, I was the same way. Once I started buying HD DVDs, I stopped buying SD DVD almost completely. The same holds true now that I am buying Blurays.

Once in a while, Netflix will send me a DVD version by mistake instead of the Bluray version - I don't watch it, I just put it right back in the envelope.

The same thing happened when CDs came out - cassette tape and LP sales pretty much died out. I stopped buying VHS when DVD came out also.

I think this is a pretty normal phenomena.

What do people like you do when something you want is not on BR? There are thousands of movies still not on BR or HD and may never be. Tons of tv shows arent as well..
post #4 of 6 Old 12-23-2009, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
At this time, there is plenty to watch on BR. This can be supplemented with hd from cable or NF streaming.
While there are thousands of shows not on hd yet that doesn't mean that that there are thousands that most are willing to watch...again.
I have not purchased an sd title in several months. The way new titles are popping on BD, most of my catalog collection will be replaced in 2 years. All new movie releases are done in hd.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-23-2009, 04:42 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson View Post

If you love movies you buy them on whatever format they appear. If you think a title will be on Blu-ray soon you might skip a DVD purchase, but a vast catalog will never be on Blu-ray or will not be improved by BR editions.

What else is a film-noir fan to do?

-Bill
post #6 of 6 Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Since HDM has been around for several years...we have several years worth of threads asking about this topic. If you use the advance search engine and title search only in either/both this forum or the BR software forum you'll find threads like this

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&highlight=sd

let's revive one of the existing threads to continue the discussion. SD, buy, rent or standard etc would be good search words. Limit search words to one for best results.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page