Do You Only Buy All Blu-ray Now? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 142 Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I only buy blu-ray unless it's not available (and I'm not sure it will be anytime soon), like anime.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
I already posted earlier but just wanted to add some more thoughts.

I would buy blu-ray if it's a great deal around $10 and if it has HD audio. I actually got toy story 1 & 2 blu-ray with DVD and interactive CDrom with free movie tickets for only $17 with taxes with the help of slickdeals.net

But i can't buy all blu-ray yet since i still have a DVD in our mini-van rear-entertainment system for the kids. So blu-ray with DVD for me.
post #123 of 142 Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

If it is a BD that I want, and it is done properly, then the cost is not an issue (within reason). Similarily, if it is not a BD that I want, then it can be $1 and I still won't get it. I will get a DVD of a movie that I really want only if there is no better choice (such as BD or a HD PVR recording). An example that comes to mind is Dopamine.
post #124 of 142 Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

There's a dearth if your cinema tastes run into the obscure fringe genres.

That would depend on what you consider obscure and fringe.
OTOH, There is great selection if all you want is recent pop/megahit/box office smash type movie. That certainly isn't my taste. Most of my collection is catalog and import movies. I'm buying less BDs now than I was a year ago. There's only a couple on the announced list I'm interested in.

To each his own.
J
post #125 of 142 Old 06-13-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

That would depend on what you consider obscure and fringe.
OTOH, There is great selection if all you want is recent pop/megahit/box office smash type movie. That certainly isn't my taste.

I believe this is changing a little fortunately for me.

Stagecoach
M
Fistfull of Dollars
Dr Zhivago
The General
Where Eagles Dare

Not obscure but not recent blockbusters either. Hope things continue till we get BD like we did DVD.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #126 of 142 Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I own over 1,000 movies in hd inclduding Blu, hd dvd, d-theater and dvhs and until recently watched them exclusively. I sold my sd dvd's years ago thinking they would be available on HD disc fairly soon but that was a huge mistake. I would rather watch a dvd of a great movie than a decent movie in great hd. Lately, I have become hooked on old 1.33 classic films only available on dvd or ld since Art gave me a list of those titles I might want to check out. Thanks for that by the way Art. I will buy the same title on blu over dvd if that title is available on hd. Now I can see why long time movie critics are so hard on new theatrical releses. Watching so many movies pre 1960's has dramitically changed my opinion on what is a truly good movie. I will continue to buy dvd's or ld of old movies as most are cheap and will take a long time to be relesed on BD if ever. It's funny that even though I have a scope setp that I love, I enjoy 4x3 classic black & white moves with original MONO sound the best. If there is a more enjoyable HT experince than watching movies like M or The Third Man on especially blu I have yet to have it.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #127 of 142 Old 06-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I thought I had purchased my last DVD in 2009 and I had moved on to BD. Then just this past week I purchased "Some Like It Hot" and "Rec 2" from Ebay on DVD.I didn't see a release date any time soon for "Some Like It Hot" on BD and I was able to buy the collectors edition brand new for less then $10. I also decided I didn't want to jump through hoops buying the Region A import of Rec 2, when I could purchase the all region DVD from Ebay for $12.99 shipped. Very happy to have both titles in my collection and especially Rec 2 which is one of the best horror movies I've seen.If available in most cases I'll choose the BD but I also enjoy a well mastered upconverted DVD.
post #128 of 142 Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 AM

I don't have a Blu-Ray Player yet, but I will get one sometime this month. I will buy both SD-DVD & Blu-Ray discs. If a movie came out within the last seven years on DVD, then the transfer should be the same on Blu-ray, & on a Sony CRT Broadcast Monitor they should look about the same. But I will buy Blu-Ray's that have been remastered & cleaned up from it's original release. I do not like LCD's LED LCD's Plasma's or DLP RPTV's, because the color is Innacurate & it cannot display Sd-Dvd's properly without making it look worse that it really is. But LCD & DLP projectors do a pretty decent job, & with LED & Laser Illumination on the horizon, expect both your DVD's & Blu-Ray's to look better than ever! I think that when OLED comes out, if the movie you have on DVD is well mastered, that it would look as good as a Blu-Ray Movie on that screen.
post #129 of 142 Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingane Walker View Post

I don't have a Blu-Ray Player yet,

which would explain comments like....

Quote:

I think that when OLED comes out, if the movie you have on DVD is well mastered, that it would look as good as a Blu-Ray Movie on that screen.

Blu-Ray has far more resolution than SD DVD, visible on any decent HD display (from the proper viewing distance). Anyone with good Blu-Ray vs DVD experience knows this, which is why we AV/movie enthusiasts are so happy that Blu-Ray came along.

There is no reason why this would change simply in changing the display technology to OLED. So long as the OLED display has the proper resolution and size, you'll see a difference, like any other display. In fact it would be the mark of a bad display if you COULDN'T see the difference between Blu-Ray and SD DVD resolution.

As to your other comments about the inaccuracy of LCD/Plasma etc, that isn't true. Best advice is to stick around this site and you'll learn a ton!
post #130 of 142 Old 07-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I don't have a Blu-Ray Player yet, but I will get one sometime this month. I will buy both SD-DVD & Blu-Ray discs. If a movie came out within the last seven years on DVD, then the transfer should be the same on Blu-ray, & on a Sony CRT Broadcast Monitor they should look about the same. But I will buy Blu-Ray's that have been remastered & cleaned up from it's original release. I do not like LCD's LED LCD's Plasma's or DLP RPTV's, because the color is Innacurate & it cannot display Sd-Dvd's properly without making it look worse that it really is. But LCD & DLP projectors do a pretty decent job, & with LED & Laser Illumination on the horizon, expect both your DVD's & Blu-Ray's to look better than ever! I think that when OLED comes out, if the movie you have on DVD is well mastered, that it would look as good as a Blu-Ray Movie on that screen.

In a world and a forum filled with experts, I don't get it. Beyond the bad grammar, DLP RPTV are the same as DLP projectors. The only difference is that RPTV DLP give you a screen and projectors require an external screen or wall. OLED is unproven and extremely expensive. Plasma is a proven technology with excellent picture quality with 13-14 generations behind it.

Blue-Ray bit stream is far superior in both audio and video. Blue-Ray's disc contain anywhere from 25-50 gigabytes worth of content vs. around 8gb for high quality SD dvd's. Why do you think players benefit from external memory and take forever to load?
post #131 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM

I think DLP RPTV's looks like crap, except the LED & Laser models, Plasma is decent but OLED will blow it out the water, CRT is still the best when it comes to displaying accurate skin tones & the entire NTSC Color Gamut, LCD is & always will be crap in my opinion, that technology is a disgrace. I know that Blu-Ray is 6X the resolution of Standard DVD, but that won't matter when the real Display technologies of the future will be unveiled. Did you know that DVD's look almost exactly like the master tapes they are sourced from. Even though DVD is only 480i/p all the detail is still in the encoding. Find two properly calibrated Sony BVM CRT monitors & do a side by side comparison of a Blu-Ray & it's SD-DVD counterpart. You will find that they will look the same. DLP, LCD, & even Plasma can not show skin tones as good as CRT's can.

Skin Tones on LCD, DLP, & Plasma tend to look pasty, & these displays create artifacts that were not in the encoding. In many ways we have went forward, but in so may ways we have went backwards. I am hoping that Laser, SED, & OLED make it to market in the next couple of years, so we can see the all the colors that our HD material is encoded with, without any deficiencies.

R Harkness, I have seen plenty LCD's & Plasma's & they don't look good as CRT's do. Sure, they are big thin & flat, but the picture quality sucks. Even a $90 20 inch RCA Truflat CRT has faster motion & brighter, more saturated color than a $4,000 LED LCD or Plasma. Every LCD looks like crap. The only thing that they look decent with is Video Games.
post #132 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you know that DVD's look almost exactly like the master tapes they are sourced from. Even though DVD is only 480i/p all the detail is still in the encoding.

And in two sentences you demonstrate that you fail completely to grasp the concepts behind mastering, transferring, colorspace, encoding, compression, resolution, and detail. Essentially, almost the entire underpinnings of home video and display tech. Amazing.
Quote:

Find two properly calibrated Sony BVM CRT monitors & do a side by side comparison of a Blu-Ray & it's SD-DVD counterpart. You will find that they will look the same.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #133 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

And in two sentences you demonstrate that you fail completely to grasp the concepts behind mastering, transferring, colorspace, encoding, compression, resolution, and detail. Essentially, almost the entire underpinnings of home video and display tech. Amazing.

JBlacklow,

No point getting sucked into an arguement with this guy. He obiviously has a hatred of newer better technologies. I have a feeling even if he compared a BD against a DVD on a 100-inch screen that he would still claim the DVD is just as good. Sure DVD and BD are indistinguishble from one another on 25-in SD CRT from 10ft away. It does not make them equal in capabilities.

The guy hates BD and therefore since he does not have one it automatically invalidates the format and makes it a waste of money. I am guessing if this guy could afford a BD player and HD display he would be on board.

Sure LCD/Plasma/DLP had growing pains, but they have gotten to the point that can offer much better viewing experiences than they did 5 years ago. I love watching BD on my 100-in screen. So much that I rarely go to the theaters any more. Even my 46Z5100 offers a great viewing experience.

post #134 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Toknowshita, to me the projectors look better than any LCD, Plasma or DLP Television I have ever seen. Matter of fact, I will be buying a LG HS201 LED DLP projector for my home theater soon. I do not hate Blu-Ray either, I will be buying a player soon & already have bought one movie already. I bought Escape From LA, & watched on my friends PS3 & it looked great. I will be buying the Back To The Future trilogy on BD when it comes out, along with the WB Double Feature Blu-Ray's & movies that did not get proper treatment & transfers when they were released on DVD. CRT still has the best color & overall image quality compared with today's TV's. The projectors however, have already beat CRT in many ways. The LG HS201 has more colors than any TV I have ever seen in my life & it's only weakness is it's low resolution. But none of the current technologies can display NTSC DVD material properly.They always create artifacts that were not in the encoding in the first place.

JBlacklow, I know & fully understand the concepts behind mastering, transferring, colorspace, encoding, compression, resolution, and detail.

I hope SED, OLED, FED & Laser technologies are released soon enough so we can have a technology that can match, or truly surpass CRT.

The best thing about Blu-Ray is the Uncompressed soundtracks. PCM & DTS-HD Master Audio tracks with no dialnorm applied to it is one of the immediate pluses of BD.

LCD Flat Panels will always look like crap no matter what, in my opinion. They have no business being the primary video display technology. Useless features such as 240hz make an image look like F****in garbage. The colors will always suck on LCD, even LED models.
post #135 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Toknowshita, to me the projectors look better than any LCD, Plasma or DLP Television I have ever seen. Matter of fact, I will be buying a LG HS201 LED DLP projector for my home theater soon. I do not hate Blu-Ray either, I will be buying a player soon & already have bought one movie already. I bought Escape From LA, & watched on my friends PS3 & it looked great. I will be buying the Back To The Future trilogy on BD when it comes out, along with the WB Double Feature Blu-Ray's & movies that did not get proper treatment & transfers when they were released on DVD.All I am saying is that CRT still has the best color & overall image quality compared with today's TV's. The projector's however, have already beat CRT in many ways. The LG HS201 has more colors than any TV I have ever seen in my life, & could kick almost any TV that is on the market's butt.

What's your problem with LCDs? LCDs create a damn fine picture and even plasma owners will agree to that. In-fact, even though plasmas are more colorful and create more of a "pop" image, I find that a well calibrated LCD provides an extremely accurate image, one that I can see every outline of pixel detail. In some ways, I actually prefer this. Give it a rest on LCDs, they are fine TVs.

Escape from LA is a decent looking Blu-ray. Nothing to call home about though. Probably not the best first Blu-ray, but it's solid none-the-less. Whats worse is the actual movie.

CRT has been surpassed. It's called Plasma, or even DLP projection.

DVD has also been surpassed. It's called Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

You need to hang around here and learn some more before posting. I've seen some ridiculous posts....just in this page alone. For instance "LCDs, Plasmas, and DLP create artifacts". I have never seen a TV create an artifact unless it's broken.
post #136 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hmmmm.....a new thread could be Do You Only Buy All CRT TV's?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #137 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 02:09 PM

FendersRule, I know a lot more about Display Technologies than you think.

I have seen hundreds of LCD & Plasma sets & they all disappoint me. The only decent Plasma's I've seen were from Pioneer & Samsung.
post #138 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But none of the current technologies can display NTSC DVD material properly.They always create artifacts that were not in the encoding in the first place.

What are these artifacts and what exactly in the encoding process is creating them? You haven't even begun to describe what they are and where they come from. And I haven't even begun to get into why NTSC/DVD is the target for displays instead of any of the HD technologies and displays.
Quote:

JBlacklow, I know & fully understand the concepts behind mastering, transferring, colorspace, encoding, compression, resolution, and detail.

No, you don't. You're at best ill-informed and at worst completely wrong on all of it.

If you did know and understand even part of it, you wouldn't have mixed up masters and transfers or referred to DVDs as being "exact" copies of either. Nor would you repeatedly refer to NTSC when (a) it's a ~30fps tech and film is usually ~24fps, (b) it uses 480i/p lines and Blu-ray uses 720p & 1080i/p, and (c) it's not necessarily applicable in terms of colorspace used for Blu-rays. You also wouldn't keep on referring to what are encoding and compression artifacts when every Blu-ray uses either different encoding and compression formats, much higher bitrates than DVD is capable of, or a combination of the two. And finally, anyone who has even a basic comprehension of resolution and detail would never claim that a 1080p format and a 480i format have anywhere near the same ability to resolve detail.
Quote:

I hope SED, OLED, FED & Laser technologies are released soon enough so we can have a technology that can match, or truly surpass CRT.

SED is for all intents and purposes dead, at least in the consumer arena. OLED currently goes for upwards of ~$100 per inch for HD-capable screens and is only available on small screens for the near future. FED is worse off than SED. And laser is further behind than OLED in terms of cost-cutting and manufacturing. And by all means, please provide your supposedly plentiful evidence that monitors used by the best mastering and transferring technicians are exclusively the domain of CRT.
Quote:

FendersRule, I know a lot more about Display Technologies than you think.

I have seen hundreds of LCD & Plasma sets & they all disappoint me. The only decent Plasma's I've seen were from Pioneer & Samsung.

That doesn't display any knowledge, just feelings unsupported by any factual statements whatsoever (not to mention at least one opinion that few here would agree with).

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #139 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

R Harkness, I have seen plenty LCD's & Plasma's & they don't look good as CRT's do. Sure, they are big thin & flat, but the picture quality sucks. Even a $90 20 inch RCA Truflat CRT has faster motion & brighter, more saturated color than a $4,000 LED LCD or Plasma. Every LCD looks like crap. The only thing that they look decent with is Video Games.

I wish I could trade my 58-inch CRT in on a 55-inch LCD.

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
post #140 of 142 Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No not always. Especially if the company releasing a transfer does a large turd on it.

Case in point, the recent British release of a 60s British puppet show called Thunderbirds. It was originally filmed in 4:3. The retards releasing it basically cut off about a 3rd of the screen by cropping it top and bottom and releasing it as a 16:9 show. Epic Fail!

I spent my money on ebay and bought a copy of the 4:3 DVDs.

Another reason, as noted, to not buy the BD is when it's not available. The Land Rover stuff I have didn't come on BD.

Other wise, it's BD all the way.....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #141 of 142 Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I only buy blu-ray unless it's a tv show shot on video or filmed but later edited on video with no reasonable chance of an HD version.

I'm still holding out on TNG (i'll probably die holding my breath but refuse to buy such craptastic quality dvd's) but am pretty certain Enterprise will eventually make it to blu-ray.
post #142 of 142 Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Relative to many of the folks on the forum, I am not a big buyer of movies. But, for the most part, I only buy Blu-ray when I do buy. However, I will buy a standard DVD if the price is right and if the sound format is DTS. Especially if the movie is not out on Blu-ray. A recent example would be Open Range. This is not out on blu-ray and I was looking at buying the French version but saw the DVD at a good price so I snagged it.

I watched it an enjoyed it. However, with all the panoramic scenery shots in the movie I did wonder what it would look like on blu-ray as I watched it.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page