post #31 of 41 Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Here is a thread from 2004 talking about forced trailers on DVDs.
http://forums.dvdfile.com/soapbox/49...-trailers.html

Did DVD not advertise on DVDs?

Here is a whole slew of DVD ads by Toshiba.

You mean to tell me when DVD first came out there weren't commercials on them about how DVD had superb audio and video?

Heh, good reply.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's annoying, but not a deal breaker. Definitely not worth dropping Blu-ray over.
post #33 of 41 Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Using my PS3's I could always resume where I left off on any BD I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Darn, just when I was thinking about getting a Blu-ray player I hear this. Time to re-think that decision I guess!

Watched Brooklyn's Finest this week on PS3. Had to stop the movie 3 or 4 times before we got it finished. Everytime we had to wait for it to load for 1 minute, sit through forced movie studio logo, fast forward through 6 ads, sit through FBI warnings, go to setup, then try to find the scene we were on. Royal pain in the a$$. Still worth it versus DVD though.
post #34 of 41 Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM

In the past 2 weeks I have rented 2 Blu-ray movies made by Universal, Couples Retreat and It's Complicated. When I watched Couples Retreat, the Universal company intro played, then the screen went black for like 10 minutes and then trailers started to play. I tried to skip them, but skipping resulting in another never ending black screen. So I decided to just sit through them and watch them (audio skipping the whole way) until I finally got to the title menu and could start the movie. This process literally took like 30 minutes.

Yesterday, I pop in It's complicated and the same BS starts. Instead of waiting again, I just unplug the ethernet cable on the back of my BD-P1500 and BOOM, we go right to the movie menu.

Is every Universal blu-ray like this? Am I seriously going to need to disconnect my blu-ray player from the internet just to start the GD movie every time I want to watch a movie made by Universal?

Movie companies wonder why people pirate their products, and this is why. I probably could have found the movie online, downloaded it and converted to format my Xbox can play faster than it takes for their movies to start.
post #35 of 41 Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 AM

It's a BD-Live feature where it streams trailers. It should not take that long, your BD player is just slow. Judging by quick glances at reviews I read just now that player isn't well received.
post #36 of 41 Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Liked: 50
And as its Universal, when it has loaded you wish you had not bothered
post #37 of 41 Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I find the worst part of the Universal discs are those !"#¤%&/ button sounds. And on every. Damn. Disc.

First the clicking sound in the main menu. Then the swooshing sound when changing menus. And finally that deafening bleep in the sub-menus. And of course you need to traverse the menus a bit just to turn them off too, they couldn't just put a little mute icon in the main menu, that would be too helpful.

Wish they could default them to off, remember the setting, or at the very least dial them down a few notches.
post #38 of 41 Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 355
My Blu-Ray player isn't connected to the net because I don't want to experience these issues and don't give a damn about the "added value" features from BD-live anyway.
post #39 of 41 Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Anybody having problems playing the Invictus blu ray on a samsung player. I have the samsung bd-p1600 and I cannot play the disc. I've received 2 from netflix already. The previews will play fine,then when the movie starts to load, the screen freezes on the disc icon. This is so annoying, I've had to go through those damn previews at least 20 times. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. By the way I've already tried resetting the Blu ray player and still no luck.
post #40 of 41 Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

I find the worst part of the Universal discs are those !"#¤%&/ button sounds. And on every. Damn. Disc.

First the clicking sound in the main menu. Then the swooshing sound when changing menus. And finally that deafening bleep in the sub-menus. And of course you need to traverse the menus a bit just to turn them off too, they couldn't just put a little mute icon in the main menu, that would be too helpful.

Wish they could default them to off, remember the setting, or at the very least dial them down a few notches.

Universal settings sounds like a great feature for a future format. I'd also like it to remember my subtitle and audio selections. Maybe in an "order of preference" type thing for discs lacking the favorite option?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #41 of 41 Old 07-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Liked: 13
Glad to see I wasn't the only one infuriated that he couldn't skip the previews on Invictus. I thought it may have been a rental only problem but I guess even those who purchased the disc got screwed.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page