post #31 of 41 Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Some media experts were saying this in the 90's about CD and DVD. I still see racks and racks full of CD's and DVD's in Best Buy, Borders, Books a Million, Walmart, etc.

Here is what I no longer see (at Walmart):

Turned out it was not The next big thing in music.

This is true. The said the same things about books, magazines, etc.

It is pretty clear to me that many people out there prefer to be able to hold something physical in their hands and browse through physical stores as well. I think everyone here gets so hung up on the convenience factor that downloads/streaming offers, but forgets that many people don't care as much about convenience as we think they do.

I love my Nook ereader, but I still buy the occassional book. Same with music (still buy the occasional CD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Oops I grabbed the wrong quote. That was for a large record company that MP3 sales passed CDs back in 2008.

As your article points out...

"...with digital music sales growing at 15 to 20 percent, and CDs falling by an equal proportion, digital music sales will nearly equal CD sales by the end of 2010."

And from that we can speculate that in 2011 CDs sales will be much less.

Also, everyone can agree that overall, disc sales are only going to fall from here on out.
post #33 of 41 Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
99% don't have a clue.

With advertising in the US now its only about how much lying you can get into 30 seconds.

its HD its Ipod compatable it will play wireless 5 channel audio HD feeds

it will play wireless,,,it will do 5 channel audio,,,, it will do HD feeds at 480i...thats HD isn't it and did we ever say it would do it at the same time?

how abut a couple of years ago when it was DIGITAL....and 80% of the people surveyed thought that was HD
post #34 of 41 Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

False.

After almost 30 years of being on the market 65% seems like a very good percentage. IMO, there is no pop/rock bands to match the ones of the 60's, 70's and 80's so it is surprising to see CD's still doing this well.

It appears DVD and Blu-ray are doing even better at 80% of the market.
Quote:

The executive reiterated that packaged media still represented 80% of Image's and most major studios revenue, despite the hype surrounding digital distribution.

It appears many here are in larger metro areas and assume everyone has access to high speed internet. They really need to get out and see the real USA.
post #35 of 41 Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68Q2FM20100927
Quote:

The rapid rise of single digital music sales has stalled in the United States, the world's biggest and most important market, with sales in the first half of 2010 flat compared with a year before.

According to research group Nielsen, digital sales for single track downloads were flat in the U.S. market after a 13 percent increase from 2008 to 2009 and 28 percent growth from 2007 to 2008.

When combined with the growth in digital album sales, overall digital music sales were up over 5 percent in the U.S.

Major music companies such as Vivendi's Universal Music and EMI have pinned their hopes on boosting legal digital sales to counter online piracy and the collapse in CD sales.

Jean Littolff, managing director of Nielsen Music, told Reuters the flat U.S. single sales could be due to weak consumer confidence, the appeal of new music releases and confusion over the many different ways people can buy music online.

"I think this is a plateau, it doesn't mean that this digital consumption is going to drop significantly," he said. "It's a plateau, but it's not yet saturation."

The digital music market has mostly been led by a-la-carte sales on sites such as Apple's iTunes, with the sale of individual tracks or albums, and Nielsen said subscription streaming services where consumers pay for access to music were still struggling to make an impact in the mass market.

So-called audio-visual streaming sites such as YouTube however continued to be hugely popular, while mobile phone music services were getting more traction.

I don't think CD's are going anywhere for sometime if digital music is already stalling.
Movies are going to have a more difficult road than music IMHO.
post #36 of 41 Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 108
Streaming sucks giant monkey nuts compared to Blu Ray.

Now, that being said, I love streaming. Its beats the hell out of TV/Cable. No commercials. Watch what I want rather than having to wait. Its hard to beat that. When I got streaming netflix through my PS3, I stopped watching cable tv altogether. I haven't looked back since.

Now what I don't understand about the original posters point is this: Why not do both? I have netflix, so I stream through my PS3 AND I rent BD's through the mail service. I stream TV shows and content for my kids all the time. Some of the HD shows aren't horrible quality (about the same as DVD which is pretty good) and I watch a lot of stuff that way, but for movies I really want to see, its Blu Ray for me (if it is available)

The best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #37 of 41 Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
I'm pretty happy with hd netflix streams on my 92inch screen. While it obviously does not hold a torch to BD, it definately looks better than my current HD cable service. For example, watching Office in HD on netflix looks better than when I watch it on tv, colors look better and pixelization is no where near as bad
I don't think streaming or cable for that matter will ever look as good as BD, and I will forever pay the premium that BD commands in order to get the highest quality product
post #38 of 41 Old 10-24-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post

Am I the only one who is fed up with the gluttony of "Streaming HD" devices being pushed upon us? Apple TV, Netflix, Roku, Tivo...

We all purchased high quality 1080p sets because we value picture quality. I am sorry, but all streaming HD I have seen on my computer (25 Mbps broadband) still comes nowhere near Blu-Ray in quality.

As far as I am concerned, Blu-Ray still trumps anything the internet can provide. And 3 movie rental stores in my neighborgood have all closed up (including blockbuster chain, which is filing for bankrupcy any day now).

The age of renting Blu Ray seems soon to be over.

Any thoughts?

In the end there will be only a few that will survive. In my case I've switched to getting ALL my TV shows via iTunes and ending my cable service. The only regret I have is why it took me so long to do so. I can now watch all the shows I want in HD with no interruptions. The quality of the experience is so much better in my case.

I also use Netflix streaming for most of what my 3 year old daughter watches at home or when we're on a long drive and we need to fire up the iPad with a movie for her. Lately, my wife and me are also using our streaming service to watch a lot of indie and older movies. The video quality is decent, but some of the movies are great!

I also have one at a time Blu Ray disk service from Netflix. At one time we were watching 2 Blu Rays a week. Now as Netflix's streaming catalog has improved we are watching one Blu Ray every 2-3 weeks!

We buy all the Disney classic releases on Blu Ray - such as Beauty and Beast etc. All other HD movies we've purchased on iTunes so that we can watch them at home, on the iPad or anywhere else. We now have over 100 HD movies on iTunes, but only around 25 Blu Ray now ( ended up selling most). IF Blu Ray allowed HD managed copy I would always buy the Blu Ray for better quality. But as it stands now...the convenience and quality of streaming has an advantage over collecting or watching physical disks at our home.

For what it's worth I still buy more CD ( way more) than downloads. But I always convert every single CD into mp3 as well. I carry 120 GB of music and another around 100 GB movies in my car

Is Blu Ray better quality than streaming? Absolutely. Does it matter in most cases? Not to me.

At home my primary displays are a 60 inch pioneer elite plasma display, 32 inch LCD and 24 inch LCD monitor. May be if I had a 100 inch projector screen things would be different.
post #39 of 41 Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

IMO, if Blockbuster goes under the Blockbuster digital, kiosk and disc by mail will continue. Redbox has added Blu-ray and there is always Netflix. Why go to a store front when Blockbuster and/or Netflix will deliver Blu-ray disc to your door?

Surprising that the CEO of Netflix would say a few days ago that based on their viewing data - they are now a streaming shop that also rents DVD! The quality of Netflix streaming has improved a lot recently. It's not even as good as DVD and the audio is pretty bad and no sub titles. But given how long it takes them to ship new titles I've ended up using their streaming service more and more.
post #40 of 41 Old 10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Thanks Dave. The way studios are stalling BD adoption by coming up with more ways to justify higher premiums instead of reducing the cost of the software to better reflect a four year old format with hardware costs now in the $50 range, how broadcast is still favoring content over quality, I sometimes think I'd be better off selling my FP and going back to something a lot smaller, like a 60" 3DTV. That size doesn't hold a candle to front projection when it comes to the movie experience with BD or the rendition of 1080p's level of detail, but it's so much more forgiving of the lower quality sources that still proliferate the market, and I'm beginning to fear that may not change for at least another decade. DirecTV is so overcompressed, I can only stand to watch it on our 50" set in the living room from 2x screenwidth or more away, and it's been that way for as long as I can remember. I don't know how they can even call anything on youtube HD, especially the the stuff that's home shot on "HD" handhelds that barely even compares to DVD in resolution.

My 3mbs speed usually runs at 2.5 or less, though my IP tells me I've got faster speeds than most of the customers they service, I believe because I'm sharing the lines with fewer people than those who live closer to Salisbury. My IP offers a 12mbs service, but I can't get it, nor could I justify the premium for my usage. I've even been thinking about going back to 1.5mbs and saving about $45 per month through Time Warner, but I fear there's another Uncharted just around the corner or some other game that'll make me regret scaling back.

It looks to me like studios are deliberately pushing BD into a product you 'buy' and streaming in a product you 'rent'. From a business perspective that makes sense to me. On the other hand, just from. Selection perspective, I find it much easier to find content I want to watch on DVD or streaming from Netflix than Blu Rays. Personally, I am not interested in watching every single recent blockbuster. I enjoy indie and older movies as well.

I get at least 20mbps download at home so I've never had a problem with getting the best Netflix feed possible.
post #41 of 41 Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by av.pallino View Post

Surprising that the CEO of Netflix would say a few days ago that based on their viewing data - they are now a streaming shop that also rents DVD!

Just more marketing hype and BS. Click a Netflix streaming title and watch 10 seconds of it then stop the movie. Now that title will show up in your Movies Watched list. The intent of Netflix was to be a streaming service from the get go, hence the name Netflix.

As to quality, I know folks that still use VHS for delay viewing, the difference is, they do not come to a place like AVS forums and brag about it.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page