Blu-ray Discs Rotting?? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 429
What percentage of laser discs ended up rotting?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/askjosh.htm

Quote:

It is estimated that the average laserdisc collection will experience 1 - 2% rot. My own collection of about 250 discs only has two verifiable cases of rot, one extreme and one mild, and one disc with some suspicious dropouts that I'm keeping my eye on. Some collectors have experienced higher percentages depending on the type of material that they collect and the manufacturing plant that a number of their discs come from.

post #33 of 45 Old 11-15-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I had over 300 Laserdiscs and did not experience rot on a single one.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 45 Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

A very small percentage. I don't think anyone could come up with an accurate number but it's got be maybe 2 - 3 percent at the worst. There was a pretty significant run of dozens of mostly Sony TrisStar LD titles in the late '90's pressed at one particular plant that had a very high percentage of discs quickly rot and become unplayable within a year or so of manufacture notably Starship Troopers and Contact.

I still have a fairly decent LD collection of about 400 titles, some going back to the formats' beginning including the original Criterion CAV box sets of King Kong and Citizen Kane originally bought with my first player in early '85 to one of the last LD's released, The Matrix in '99 and I think I've lost maybe 2 titles to rot over the years.

I've had a few dvds rot on me too. "Kentucky Fried Movie" comes to mind.

T.B.
post #35 of 45 Old 11-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have found 3 DVD's in my collection that no longer play. These are all early production DVD's. Supposedly whatever issue was causing the laser rot is now fixed but I am not so sure it really ever was. It will be years before we know for sure.

So far the 3 DVD's I have tried that no longer play are Boogie Nights, The Matrix and The Jackal staring Richard Gere. All known offenders for laser rot. I bet I have a few more early produced disc that no longer work but have not got around to watching them yet. Luckily replacements are dirt cheap.

I would say unfortunately history might repeat itself and I see some Blu Ray's especially early releases will eventually stop working. I have not had any go bad yet but at least a few will likely go bad I am sure. I have recently heard a few HD-DVD's especially from Warner have recently given issues to those that own them. So much for modern pressings being more reliable.

I also have a sizable collection of laserdisc. I don't play them often these days but I know several are rotted. Alien and Aliens and Abyss Special Edition to name a few. It was awful feeling when I found out these disc no longer work but I had replaced most of them on DVD and Blu Ray when I found out so it ended up being more of a chuckle and a comment saying "So much for laserdisc being a timeless format".

I can only guess but I suspect by the time most of my DVD's and Blu Ray's are coasters most films will be available through high quality streaming. I have enjoyed collecting films on various formats over the years but when it takes several minutes to find a particular film I want to watch it gets kind of old after a while. I could free up a lot of space if I no longer need a physical piece of media to enjoy my films. We are already halfway there with services like Netflix but not there just yet. One thing that concerns me about streaming is you no longer have control over the content. So movies in your streaming library could be pulled at anytime and you are SOL. This is a different topic for another day though.
post #36 of 45 Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Aside from "The Prestige" Full Moon's second pressing first "Puppet Master" BD all went bad. Some sort of replication issue. Mind you the first pressing were all faulty in a different way- as they lacked the advertised DD 5.1 track.

Threads like these flare my neurotic Jewish tendencies to grossly stereotypical levels. I hope your all happy.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #37 of 45 Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
There also is just more space and material to have gone wrong with a Laserdisc than with a CD DVD BD sized one.

With Blu-ray all the data layers is on the tippy top of the disc with the hardcoat on top so its easier to test and less to go wrong over time.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

post #38 of 45 Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

I had over 300 Laserdiscs and did not experience rot on a single one.

Mark

I had two, if you avoid Sony USA discs you were normally fine.
post #39 of 45 Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Liked: 14
I've never seen a laserdisc go so bad as to be unplayable, except maybe a few early DiscoVision releases which were faultily manufactured to begin with- I have some that have a ton of video noise and audio so noisy you can barely hear it. The rotted Sony USA discs I have show a lot of white sparkles on the screen, but they at least still play without skipping or stopping.

Haven't run into a bad Blu-Ray disc yet, but have gotten more than 20 bad HD-DVDs.
post #40 of 45 Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

How are your discs stored and the temperature(static or varying) of the room/location in which they are stored?

Where can I get a Blu-Ray Humidor?

post #41 of 45 Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
Well - my third Blu-ray title has now died!!! Went to watch The Ninth Gate last night and even though it played fine last year - it will not load any of my players (Oppo - PS3 or Panny). In fact, I get the "No Disc" reading from my Oppo and the PS3 just spins and spins and then gives up trying to read the disc. Lionsgate disc rot has struck again!!! (previous Lionsgate title that rotted on me were the first versions of Total Recall & Stargate). Sigh
post #42 of 45 Old 04-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Anyone else experiencing problems with bluray or dvd titles not playing, when they originally did?

So far none of my bluray but have had them only since December '12.....but am going back through all of my Universal Monster Legacy dvd18's, aka flipper discs to see if they still work, after the Son of Dracula title from Dracula Legacy set now freezes and skips on both my new Panasonic BDT320, or my older reliable Sony NS77H dvd player.

Contacted Univ about it and they are sending a copy of the double feature, single disc, Son of Dracula/Dracula's Daughter as a replacement.

I told them that it may take some time, but am reviewing every Legacy and Lugosi Collection flipper discs to see if they still play ok.

With the history of trouble with the flipper discs, and the fact that Legacy sets are out of stock, the only replacementnts are the dvd-9, single disc double feature titles....except if your Invisible Man Legacy set goes bad, there are no double feature disc replacements, as these sequels have only been put in the Legacy series....same for House of Dracula.
post #43 of 45 Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I see these edge nicks on some discs, they are somewhat common.

Will they lead to rot?

2ysyvy3u.jpg

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #44 of 45 Old 05-16-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DVDs and Laserdiscs rotted because those discs were constructed by gluing two thin layers together. CDs and BDs just use one thick layer; no glue. So, there should be no rotting on those. However, BDs have a scratch protective coating on them, so perhaps that's what's causing the rotting???? Very odd how BDs can go bad, especially since the format is new and still in its infancy stage.
post #45 of 45 Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Still in its infancy... hardly. BD has been on the market for seven years next month. Now I haven't gone back and examined many of my older titles but every optical format has had some issues with failure. I wouldn't worry that a vast a majority of titles will fail but some will probably fail due to manufacturing defects.

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page