Blu-ray Discs Rotting?? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #61 of 65 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 407
A thread from the past returns. Still use Redox from time to time, though much less than I did earlier. still find the occasional fingerprints, though I still hold them from the edges only and I do wash my hands after handling disc and the case, just for the hell of it. An interesting idea on the WD40, though I wouldn't go through the bother for a rental disc.
synccoil likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I always inspect any rental from any source before insertion ..

Many, if not all, will laugh, however, I have had good success with WD40 and DVD's / Blu Rays .. and, it's helped with my vinyl for years ..
This is beyond laughable and but instead absurd for cleaning optical media , WD 40 is petroleum distillate solvents and light oil .

As mentioned above and maybe with clean distilled water in a diluted solution on a dampened cloth for something nasty where the water alone or dry microfibre wont work Dawn or Joy Dishwashing liquid should be more than you need it works for stubbornly dirty LCD and plasma display panels on a dampened cloth in a highly diluted solution and for outside or inside window washing with squeegee also ,some professional janitor services use those for that and reccomend it if asked .

I clean the Redox rentals before I use them if needed usually only dry microfibre , only one was unplayable in years , it had a decent scratch in it and an email or something at the website got me a credit code.

I prefer Vudu HDX or a 4K SDR/HDR digital stream or download if the title is good enough to justify the cost .

I play my media drives with Android Kody in the Sony 4K HDR TV in here and otherwise serve them around the home .

At the most an owed optical media title will play once here before a digital redemption or copy to spinning metal .

WD40 is nothing I would want near my media or laser readers or screens it can even depreciate metal paint finishes .

I worked with it on the job for years and know what it can do and it can be volatile in a vapor state as well ,we used to make WD 40 vapor bombs to horse around with

Say Hi to Elvis for me if you spot him before I do in the after life
TV's Samsung PN64f8500 PDP, 2 -5.1 speaks ,2 Sony ES AVR all total |MY hideout : Sony 4K HDR XBR X850C,2016.HP 4K core i5 PC, plausible 5.1, Sources D*TV HR54 and room clients ,OTA ,Roku,TV Android 6.0.1 ,all the usuall other stuff up to 4K HDR IPTV and hires media hdd eye candy ,Custom core i7 Game /drive sim PC & G27 wheel ,reference quality 2.1 music > PC Game /Music room. 3 LG,Sony LED TV

Last edited by synccoil; Yesterday at 09:35 PM.
post #63 of 65 Old Today, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 2014
While I certainly am not encouraging the use of WD40, the idea of the thread is, essentially, attempting to revitalize unplayable disks .. I, of course, when using it, make sure the disk is fully dry prior to insertion, as WD40 is a water displacement medium, it's not difficult to spray and wipe, setting aside to dry fully for a few days, and played in an old BD player / 1st generation .. although I suppose the risk of a disk spinning off any residue is a possibility, I am willing to risk it and so, far, so good .. I figure, if the disk is unplayable anyway, and I'm not slipping it into my PS4 or my Oppo,

so what, it's my gear, I'll do what I want to with it ..

In my case, it has been successful .. I was a recording engineer and producer for many years .. of course, nothing really beats a dedicated polishing machine ::

https://www.elm-usa.com/products/ecomaster

Lastly, if you have a Family Video in your area, many have an on site polishing / cleaning machine which might be worth a try ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #64 of 65 Old Today, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
While I certainly am not encouraging the use of WD40, the idea of the thread is, essentially, attempting to revitalize unplayable disks .. I, of course, when using it, make sure the disk is fully dry prior to insertion, as WD40 is a water displacement medium, it's not difficult to spray and wipe, setting aside to dry fully for a few days, and played in an old BD player / 1st generation .. although I suppose the risk of a disk spinning off any residue is a possibility, I am willing to risk it and so, far, so good .. I figure, if the disk is unplayable anyway, and I'm not slipping it into my PS4 or my Oppo,

so what, it's my gear, I'll do what I want to with it ..

In my case, it has been successful .. I was a recording engineer and producer for many years .. of course, nothing really beats a dedicated polishing machine ::

https://www.elm-usa.com/products/ecomaster

Lastly, if you have a Family Video in your area, many have an on site polishing / cleaning machine which might be worth a try ..

If you want to use WD 40 fine on optical media fine ,You do that on magnetic tape too ? .

Game stop Store or an independent electronic game store will have polishers also ,they can also send out optical media professional restoration if it's restorable .

IMO it's absurd to clean optical media with petroleum distillate and light oil compounds like WD40 penetrating oil is something I absolutely don't want on optical media , an optical drive transport or optical reader where if the transport needs lube a dry silicone spray is what to use in last few decades

To lube a disc transport dry silicone spray will dry quickly, it won't attract dust, which can clog or gum up moving parts. ...and there are safer methods than WD 40 to clean optical media

Perhaps your recording engineer career pre dates optical media like my electronics education neither of which change the facts here .

I have an inexpensive polishishing machine which is more plausible for an unplayable CD then I clean it with nothing more than clean filtered or distilled water and maybe a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a cup of water scale dilution to dampen a clean microfiber cloth with or try that before using the polisher .

In a pinch dry unscented cleanex will work fine wiping from the center out for optical media with fingerprint smudges .

Something like mild dishwash doad on a damp microfiber cloth at the extreme any polishing is abrasive by nature and optical players spin fast where the implications of abrasive residue or WD40 residue should obvious

All my optical media is on spinning metal with back ups or in the cloud anyway I prefer not to use optical media in 2017 .

Say Hi to Elvis for me if you spot him before I do in the after life
TV's Samsung PN64f8500 PDP, 2 -5.1 speaks ,2 Sony ES AVR all total |MY hideout : Sony 4K HDR XBR X850C,2016.HP 4K core i5 PC, plausible 5.1, Sources D*TV HR54 and room clients ,OTA ,Roku,TV Android 6.0.1 ,all the usuall other stuff up to 4K HDR IPTV and hires media hdd eye candy ,Custom core i7 Game /drive sim PC & G27 wheel ,reference quality 2.1 music > PC Game /Music room. 3 LG,Sony LED TV

Last edited by synccoil; Today at 12:47 PM.
post #65 of 65 Unread Today, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1729 Post(s)
Liked: 2014
As I said, I'm not offering advice .. I'm simply stating what I do, and it has worked for me in revitalizing discs that are unplayable .. which is the subject of this thread .. that's it ..

I'd suggest you open your own thread dealing with "Tips on CD / DVD / BD Maintenance" ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion