Netflix PS3 streaming comparison PIX - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 179 Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering, is there any difference in Netflix, if say my internet feed is like 25 MBPs, or higher, does Netflix adjust quality up to that level or does the highest it go 4.8 MBPs? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat!!! View Post

I was wondering, is there any difference in Netflix, if say my internet feed is like 25 MBPs, or higher, does Netflix adjust quality up to that level or does the highest it go 4.8 MBPs? Thanks

The feed will peak out .. beyond whatever arbitrary point NF has set, addtional speed will not improve the PQ .. that's pretty much the same rule of thumb with any streaming service ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #153 of 179 Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by borat!!! View Post

All of the content streamed from Netflix is pre-encoded. They have several encodings and one is dynamically chosen to suit current conditions (available bandwidth on the connection to Netflix's servers--limited but not determined by your nominal service speed--and responsiveness of those servers). The highest bit rate encodes are the 1080p ones, which most titles with HD encodes have (only about 25% of titles have HD encodes). The 1080p encodes average 4.8 Mbps and with 5.1 DD+ sound total 5.2 Mbps. If conditions are right, you'll get that 5.2 Mbps stream; having more than enough available bandwidth on your connection to the servers won't get you anything better because Netflix doesn't offer anything better. (It takes a sustained 6-7 Mbps to keep ahead of the 5.2 Mbps stream).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #154 of 179 Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks guys, i thought as much just wanted to be sure,
post #155 of 179 Old 09-10-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

msgohan, did you ever figure out exactly what happened to your screen capture collection? Was it just all spontaneously ruined by ImageShack?

post #156 of 179 Old 12-24-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Michael: yes. I got your PM. I will try to grab some new screenshots. I have nearly all of the ones that I posted here saved. My Blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD, streaming, etc. comparison image folder is over 8.5GB.
post #157 of 179 Old 12-24-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Michael: yes. I got your PM. I will try to grab some new screenshots. I have nearly all of the ones that I posted here saved. My Blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD, streaming, etc. comparison image folder is over 8.5GB.

Sweet! It'll be nice to see a comparison of the new 3850 Kbps 1080p Netflix to the old 4800 Kbps and 3000 Kbps 720p to the old 3600 Kbps 720p. Thanks in advance!

As a side note, I find that Photobucket won't reduce the resolution of my shots if I post them as JPEG. For some reason it also will tend to send reduced resolution PNGs. Perhaps it has something to do with file size? The 1920x1080 JPEGs I put up are a fraction of the size of your PNGs. I took one of your 2.6 MB PNGs (this) and converted it to a JPEG by opening it in Paint and saving it as a JPEG (this). I cannot see the difference between them flipping back and forth in fullscreen Chrome and at 585 KB it's only 26.3% of the original's size.

post #158 of 179 Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They are unnecessarily large, but alas, if I'm going to be doing in-depth compression comparisons I want to completely rule out any influence by the chain from capture to display.

I'm currently uploading the most recent screencaps I had in this thread (The Killing) to imgbox.com. Hopefully it has better longevity than some image hosters from 2006-2007 that croaked and took out a lot of great Blu-ray/HDTV comparisons.
post #159 of 179 Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It'd be nice to get some shots with a lot of fine sharp detail in them--sharp focus facial close-ups of adults are my favorite, like that shot of Jack's face from Lost pilot and of Trinity from The Matrix Revolutions in the top post. Also the face of the dying guy from Outpost in this post. Also I liked that shot from the titles of The Resident that I linked to. Sadly, neither Outbreak, The Matrix Revolutions or The Resident are available to stream from Netflix anymore.

post #160 of 179 Old 12-26-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't edit my previous post easily because of the new forum software. I would have to use HTML, and I copied the links using the BBcode option.

Sorry for the abnormally large thumbnails. Still working the kinks out of how to use this new image hoster.

"The Killing" Episode 1

iTunes 720p .m4v: 4242kbps AVC
iTunes 1080p .m4v: 5423kbps AVC
Netflix on PS3
Zune: 3.3 GB / 45:30 = 9.67Mbps total with 5.1 audio
3 Blu-ray shots from review sites

adfXvJRZ.jpg acgnmyWr.jpg abi5FsuP.jpg abpbN3GJ.jpg adiYGXZn.jpg

acjclPK3.jpg abn7eI1j.jpg adruD4Ii.jpg acp4nbdN.jpg abidK9Xe.jpg

acgYHK1o.jpg adlOvekL.jpg abp9zWYP.jpg abgA1ITA.jpg

aduS65vX.jpg abd0FoIU.jpg acjsf3mi.jpg adhIYL2K.jpg

abvgc1Gd.jpg abmcu6Wk.jpg acj4GHn8.jpg acubsvOO.jpg

ade0KEFG.jpg adgfjN12.jpg acjJ5IAC.jpg aczvJhWl.jpg

adfphSZL.jpg abhsIUFh.jpg abn3TtwF.jpg abbr52Jz.jpg

adiaXPDm.jpg abfA218M.jpg abyfNw4v.jpg addGniox.jpg

adj5KLlj.jpg abwHV6VF.jpg abvRGCXE.jpg abb7mjn5.jpg

acdU4NF2.jpg abpgDEKv.jpg admYdk43.jpg abo6AELS.jpg addS9uZm.jpg
post #161 of 179 Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Can't edit my previous post easily because of the new forum software. I would have to use HTML, and I copied the links using the BBcode option.
Sorry for the abnormally large thumbnails. Still working the kinks out of how to use this new image hoster.
"The Killing" Episode 1
iTunes 720p .m4v: 4242kbps AVC
iTunes 1080p .m4v: 5423kbps AVC
Netflix on PS3
Zune: 3.3 GB / 45:30 = 9.67Mbps total with 5.1 audio
3 Blu-ray shots from review sites

I don't know why, since looking at the BBcode I see the imgbox.com URLs, but clicking on the thumbnails (or dragging them up to my browser's new tab control) doesn't take me to those images; I just get the thumbnail again. EDIT: Of course, after I post that, I try again and they work properly rolleyes.gif.

These are all your old shots, right? No shots of the new Netflix HD encodes?

post #162 of 179 Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You actually posted while I was fixing it. I had to disable "Import Images" near the bottom of the post box.
post #163 of 179 Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Funny you guys posted The Killing. Just started to watch the first 3 episodes. I find that the darker scenes seem to be a bit grainy, which probably has more to do to the video transfer then the streaming bandwidth.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #164 of 179 Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm uploading my screenshot folder to a 100Mbps VPS. Then I will create a torrent, if anyone wants to download the whole thing.

Does anyone happen to know of any scripts to upload to image hosts automatically?
post #165 of 179 Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anyone happen to know of any scripts to upload to image hosts automatically?

Photobucket has a bulk uploader though I've never used it. Don't the others?

BTW, are you getting Netflix Super HD encodes from your provider in Alberta (if you don't know, click the link to find out)? If so, could you get us a few frames of highly detailed, sharply focused scene (you know me--I love the facial close-ups smile.gif) to compare 3850-, 4300- and 5800 Kbps? This frame from the Lost pilot would be great, since it could be used to compare with the old 4800 Kbps encode and the BD.

post #166 of 179 Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Your Internet Provider is part of the Open Connect network, a free partnership with Netflix. Netflix will automatically play movies and TV shows in Super HD on a supported device if your connection is fast enough."

Is there a newbie guide to what this means? I'm ridiculously out of the loop. There were a few months where I literally forgot that Netflix was a thing that exists (despite the monthly CC deduction, of course).

I do plan to take some more screenshots soon.
post #167 of 179 Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"Your Internet Provider is part of the Open Connect network, a free partnership with Netflix. Netflix will automatically play movies and TV shows in Super HD on a supported device if your connection is fast enough."

Is there a newbie guide to what this means? I'm ridiculously out of the loop. There were a few months where I literally forgot that Netflix was a thing that exists (despite the monthly CC deduction, of course).

I do plan to take some more screenshots soon.

Sweet! I asked if you were getting Super HD on your system; I suspected that you might since you're in Canada and Netflix seems to have most extra-US ISPs (possibly all) hooked up to their Open Connect CDN.

Netflix started building up its own single-purpose Content Delivery Network last year, called Open Connect. Previously (currently for most of their US customers) streams were delivered through one of the big commercial CDNs, Limelight, Level 3 and Akamai. Netflix is trying to dump those guys and use their own exclusively, but to do this they need the cooperation of the ISPs. The only major US ISP to sign up thus far is Cablevision, the 6th or 7th largest (for some reason they make a point of mentioning Google Fiber, which is tiny, serving only some areas of Kansas City).

At CES they announced their new "Super HD" video; for most HD titles they've added 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps video encodes. They're also offering a tiny selection of 3D titles, requiring from 6000 Kbps to 12000 Kbps available bandwidth (I assume that to be the range of 3D encodes for a title, from the worse to best quality). So now HD titles have 5 HD encodes, 720p at 2350- and 3000 Kbps, 1080p at 3850-, 4300- and 5800 Kbps, the last two being "Super HD".

Controversially they've tied access to Super HD and 3D encodes to your ISP's participation in Open Connect. Again, only a small percentage of US ISPs have decided to be a part of it. Time Warner has come out in vocal protest of this policy, saying that Netflix is holding Super HD "hostage" and that their networks are perfectly capable of handling the new stuff without Netflix's CDN.

post #168 of 179 Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the breakdown! Didn't know Netflix was involved in such drama again.

Finally made the torrent file containing nearly all my Netflix screencaps. Some I deleted right after uploading because I only intended them as quick one-offs, so those aren't available anymore.

Unfortunately I forgot the password to my own webspace so I have to put the file on a file locker. Either of these will deliver the same file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0y6vzn
https://mega.co.nz/#!hcRjFKzB!bvKzAE5RcgHNar2AxaF5ZQ9VQWN_aDpkmDgazvJF8v0
post #169 of 179 Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Thanks for the breakdown! Didn't know Netflix was involved in such drama again.

Finally made the torrent file containing nearly all my Netflix screencaps. Some I deleted right after uploading because I only intended them as quick one-offs, so those aren't available anymore.

Unfortunately I forgot the password to my own webspace so I have to put the file on a file locker. Either of these will deliver the same file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0y6vzn
https://mega.co.nz/#!hcRjFKzB!bvKzAE5RcgHNar2AxaF5ZQ9VQWN_aDpkmDgazvJF8v0
DL'ing now and can seed 24/7.
post #170 of 179 Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried the Netflix Super HD test on a different day and it told me I don't have it. So who knows, now.

I finally have both the time and motivation to grab some frames. Where there specific requests besides the Lost image?
post #171 of 179 Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I tried the Netflix Super HD test on a different day and it told me I don't have it. So who knows, now.

You're in Canada, right? Not all providers outside of the US are hooked into their Open Connect CDN, but they claim that most are. (I just read someone in Canada with Shaw say that he isn't). Go to https://signup.netflix.com/superhd; if it says "Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD!" in green letter underneath the picture of a TV, then you're in. (Sometime last week my ISP, Cox Communications, went live with Open Connect/Super HD access).

If your ISP is not set up for Open Connect access, you could sign up for a trial at Unblock-US.com; when you're using Unblock-US' DNS servers you should be able to get assigned Open Connect servers (nflxvideo.net domain). When I use it I set its DNS server addresses in my router; I haven't noticed any ill effects of doing that and there's no way to set it locally in my Roku 2 XS. It's currently a bit unreliable (except for the Win8 Netflix app and TiVo Premiere). You can test whether you've been connected to Super HD servers by playing "Example Short 23.976", which won't play for me at all when using Unblock-US' DNS servers unless my player's been assigned Open Connect stream servers. (If your ISP is set up for Open Connect access you should get connected to those servers every time). My procedure for making sure that I'm on Super HD servers is to start the player and test to see if I can play "Example Short"; if not, I restart the player and test again (usually I get it within 6 attempts). Let it play for a while and watch it get up to the 4300 Kbps and 5800 Kbps "Super HD" video encodes. Note that once you get assigned Open Connect servers it won't necessarily hold on to them if you stop playing something, so you might want to test between uses.

Before they unveiled Super HD Netflix replaced the 4800 Kbps 1080p encode with a 3850 Kbps 1080p one and the 3600 Kbps 720p encode with a 3000 Kbps 720p one. These are encoded with technology which they obtained from a company called eyeIO which supposedly delivers as-good-or-better picture quality at reduced bit rates. For HD titles there now are 2350- and 3000 Kbps 720p encodes, which the PS3's updated quality indicator will call "720 HD", a 3850 Kbps 1080p encode which will display "1080 HD" and for most HD titles 4300- and 5800 Kbps 1080p encodes which will display "1080 Super HD".

Unfortunately you cannot tell which "720 HD" or "1080 Super HD" encode you're getting on any platform other than the Win8 Netflix app, in which you can both see what you're getting and control the maximum one that you get with the Stream Manager dialog, activated with CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S (the dialog covers too much of the frame to leave it on in a frame capture).
Quote:
I finally have both the time and motivation to grab some frames. Where there specific requests besides the Lost image?

Anything with lots of tiny sharp focused details. You know me--I like close-ups of human faces, the more weathered, wrinkled and hairy the better. I don't care for comparing landscapes, since generally nothing in the frame is in very sharp focus. I'd love some frames of the new encodes to compare to ones you got of the old encodes; unfortunately many of my favorites that you captured aren't available anymore in the US, like those frames from The Matrix Reloaded and Outbreak in the top post and from the titles of The Resident. If you sign up for an Unblock-US trial, you can get The Matrix Reloaded in Super HD in Brazil and Outbreak in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland (unfortunately those last four countries don't have access to "Example Short" so you can't use it as a test).

You might want to get some new stuff for comparison of the encodes: is Super HD actually much better than the 3850 Kbps encode or is it a case of "the Emperor's new clothes" biggrin.gif? One of my favorites that I've discovered is this frame from The Grey, a close-up of Liam Neeson's craggy, bearded, frost-covered face (that example is the 3850 Kbps 1080p encode, captured from the Win8 Netflix app with PrintScreen); it's at around 19 minute in--that scene, inside the cramped space of a crashed plane's broken body, is full of good stuff for comparison, both close-ups and wider shots. (I love that poster frame, but if it's in the film I haven't found it).

post #172 of 179 Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Something else you might get some shots of are the highly detailed modern animated films. If you're using Unblock-US, you can get Monsters, Inc in the Brazil region--it's outrageously crisp with tons of fine detail everywhere, especially Sully's wonderfully animated fur.

Sadly, some things which claim to be Super HD in some reasons aren't, like Rango. It's a shame--it has nearly photorealistic artwork which looks great even at 720p.

post #173 of 179 Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry that I haven't gotten around to the shots yet. I see the Super HD logo on my PS3. Is this the only device that works with it? I didn't see it on WD TV Live.
post #174 of 179 Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM

This may be really dumb and off-topic, but why are all the screenshots you posted is really low res (800 x 480) now? I remember them being 1920x1080. It's not just this thread, it seems to be the whole forum!

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #175 of 179 Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry that I haven't gotten around to the shots yet. I see the Super HD logo on my PS3. Is this the only device that works with it? I didn't see it on WD TV Live.

No--I get Super HD on all of my 1080p Netflix capable devices: PS3, TiVo Premiere, Sony and Panasonic BDPs, WD TV Live, Roku 2 XS, Roku 3 and the Win8 Netflix app running on this PC. The Super HD logos show up in every device except the Rokus but they still get the encodes, as observed in "Example Short 23.976" (well, the Roku 3 gives a text indication on the title's menu if you drill down into it, but says simply "HD" on the descriptions which pop up as you navigate through the browser).

Who is your ISP? Are they mentioned on Netflix's Open Connect page? If you visit their Super HD page, it should tell you whether you're getting it or not on a line beneath the picture of a TV.

If you're not getting Super HD you can sign up for a one week trial of Unblock-US.com; using their DNS servers should get you Super HD in any Netflix region (and you can change regions at their site). If you like it, it's $5/month (that's Canadian dollars, it being a Canadian company).

post #176 of 179 Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:

From Netflix:

"Netflix Super HD will be available on PS3, WiiU, Windows 8, Roku, Apple TVs with 1080p, and select smart TVs and Blu-Ray players. "

Do you guys think SuperHD will be better than Vudu HDX/Zune 1080p? It seems inferior just judging by the bitrate, but does Netflix have a trick up their sleeves or something?
post #177 of 179 Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachaseeds View Post

Do you guys think SuperHD will be better than Vudu HDX/Zune 1080p? It seems inferior just judging by the bitrate, but does Netflix have a trick up their sleeves or something?

It's doubtful that it's as good as 3-bar VUDU HDX (Netflix's old 4800 Kbps 1080p encodes were about equivalent to 1-bar HDX), but Netflix has switched to some new video encoding technology from a company called eyeIO which claims to deliver equal or superior results at lower bit rates. These claims are offered without any proof whatsoever, being the reason why I'm keen to get new screenshots, both for comparison to the old and comparison to themselves at different bit rates.

msgohan's old screenshots as linked to here were auto-magically reduced from 1080x1920 to 600x800 by ImageShack rolleyes.gif. Thankfully he still has the originals.

post #178 of 179 Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's doubtful that it's as good as 3-bar VUDU HDX (Netflix's old 4800 Kbps 1080p encodes were about equivalent to 1-bar HDX), but Netflix has switched to some new video encoding technology from a company called eyeIO which claims to deliver equal or superior results at lower bit rates. These claims are offered without any proof whatsoever, being the reason why I'm keen to get new screenshots, both for comparison to the old and comparison to themselves at different bit rates.

msgohan's old screenshots as linked to here were auto-magically reduced from 1080x1920 to 600x800 by ImageShack rolleyes.gif. Thankfully he still has the originals.

Thanks for the info! And wow, that was really annoying of imageshack.
post #179 of 179 Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 254
No updates OP. I love your comparisons. Netflix has SuperHD now so it would cool to compare it to the pictures of their old Xhigh videos.

home theater addict
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page