Blu-ray discs with UltraViolet technology! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this over at blu-ray.com and would like to see what members here think.

This may or may not piss you guys off, but I sure don't like it. It sounds a little intruosive to me. The following link explains UltraViolet technology in more depth.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ideo-is-coming

In a nutshell UltraViolet stores your digital copies online in a cloud-like storage. In order to view your movie (even your physical disc) you will HAVE to be connected to the internet. The link goes into so much more detail. I felt it was important enough to start a separate thread for it.

Green Lantern and Horrible Bosses will feature this technology. I won't buy these discs if it is as intrusive as it sounds. This feature is going to turn a lot of people off.

*Thanks to madlost1 for posting an article about this. I was unaware of such technology until he mentioned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I fail to see how this is different from any digital content. All digital is merely "borrowing" for an extended period of time. Digital copies on disc expired too. This just saves the studios money by not printing one.

Or am I missing something else?
post #3 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

I fail to see how this is different from any digital content. All digital is merely "borrowing" for an extended period of time. Digital copies on disc expired too. This just saves the studios money by not printing one.

Or am I missing something else?

The fact that you have to be connected to the internet to play a disc is what really gets me upset. That along with them tailoring marketing towards you depending what movies you watch is very intrusive.
post #4 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Considering the ability to use this needs to be built into the device, I'm not going to worry about it at the moment (none of my current devices support it, but that's also because it hasn't even launched yet). Even though they have a number of partners, that in no way guarantees that they'll all implement it in all of their products.

Oh, and the rhetoric in the article about discs being permanently tied to your account -- unless they're using some sort of activation code insert that comes with the disc (a la digital copies), that can't work. That's the nature of pressed media -- all the discs are identical. They can't tie one specific disc to you or your account.
post #5 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

The fact that you have to be connected to the internet to play a disc is what really gets me upset.

I do not believe this, this would create way too many problems for the studios. The author provided no proof of this. If you want to participate in UV then a internet connection would most likely be required.
post #6 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

The fact that you have to be connected to the internet to play a disc is what really gets me upset. That along with them tailoring marketing towards you depending what movies you watch is very intrusive.

I heard a rumor they you would have to start connecting to the internet to post on this forum. When will the madness end?
post #7 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Are we sure about how this works?

I can understand that, once you sign up for Ultraviolet, that you'll be stuck with it, but what if you never sign up in the first place? I refuse to believe that the studios would release a big movie like Green Lantern that simply won't play at all on any non-networked BD player.

I imagine that, on non-networked BD players, or users without a UV account, the disc would simply be like any other disc. It would play, but you wouldn't get any of the "bonus features" that UV offers.

If they really are going to this "online only" thing, they can all go **** themselves. And they probably will, when they realize that it will result in a 1000% increase in piracy for UV-enabled movies.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #8 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I think there is a misinterpretation in that original article.

I've read about Ultraviolet and I've not seen the claim that an internet connection is required for disc play. And one of the comments under the article denies it.

Furthermore, note that the original story linked to in the first post is more than 3 weeks old. If net connectivity was a requirement for disc play, I have to believe we would have heard a lot more furor about it long before now.
post #9 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I'm sticking to movies that I buy without requiring any kind of authorization to watch them. When I have bought for it, it's mine to keep for as long as I want.

With any type of digital version, you don't own it even the movie studio may try to market it like "pay to own". Since the movie studios have the need to resell you the same movie over and over again, you can choose not to rebuy the double or triple-dip disc format movies. With any digital format, they can force you to rebuy the movies that you supposed to "own" with any kind of excuse.

I'm okay if the movie studios clearly define that you can never own, only rent any digital format movies that you bought. But that doesn't sound very attractive for buyers who prefer to own the movie that they paid for.

One thing that will become more clear on amount ownership of digital format that is sold as own over the next few years. We'll see how much access to the earlier digital format movies that were sold as "own". For example, when license expires for certain movies for the company that sold the digital version, do the consumer still have the rights to watch it? That already happened to some digital download version for certain games when the license expired for the content provider. What happens if the company closes down?
post #10 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I made a thread this morning but for some unknown reason it was moved to an area where noone will see it.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1352246
post #11 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Sounds like Ubisoft style DRM. Looks like the list of Blu-ray films I buy may shrink yet again.
post #12 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

So did we decide that you CAN still play the blu ray disc if you have no internet?? That's all that matters to me. I can't believe them disabling the disc playback without a internet connection..
post #13 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 410
DIVX rises from the grave!
post #14 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
While I won't put it past a studio to want to try something like this I'll believe it when I see it. There just seems way too many variables at play to make this work. The games industry is a bit more suited to this sort of DRM but who knows.
post #15 of 45 Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Also, Ultriaviolet doesn't support all the video formats Blu-ray does, like 1080/50i and 1080/60i.
post #16 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Never happen, never work, would get cracked in about 12 hours. The pinheads who came up with this idea obviously have zero understanding of the market.

digital film janitor
post #17 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ultraviolet applies to the downloadable copy of the film, NOT the bd itself. This should not (weirder things have been known to happen by accident) impact disc playback.

Time to quit the Chicken Little act. UV is not a significant problem. If you want to worry about something, worry about Cinavia (but not too much). Although it relies upon hardware ingredients to function properly (meaning older devices will play Cinavia-enabled discs without issue as long as firmware updates don't enable the protection), the 2 largest *ahem* streaming supporters (Slysoft and DVDFab) have been trying to crack this for a year or more and have basically concluded that the only way to crack it is to destroy the sound track, as it's embedded within the audio tracks of the film. So you can watch a new silent movie if you're trying to watch a ripped copy on a Cinavia-enabled device.

Not trying to derail the thread, not trying to incite more worry, but trying to make a point to some of you who are so certain that the market can hack anything, when in fact, it appears that Cinavia MAY be the first unhackable DRM solution. There's a thread on this forum somewhere about it if you want to read more.
post #18 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 AM

okfirst things first
I think this is just for making tird party a bunch of money
digital copies have codes and we are using them, now i didn't see anything difference what they doing except the third party invoving with big cloud server linked with studios and connect with internet

Now let say i bought the moive and creat an account and down the road my movies lost or ruined now i have to download from their 50GB content
with low internet connection. i understand if its only for digital copies
again if u own bluray u can make a digital copy for you why u need to d/l fromthem
post #19 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
Not trying to derail the thread, not trying to incite more worry, but trying to make a point to some of you who are so certain that the market can hack anything, when in fact, it appears that Cinavia MAY be the first unhackable DRM solution.
My understanding was that the similar DVD-A watermark still hasn't been successfully removed (while the copy protection was long ago cracked). The weakness with actual encryption solutions is that they have to be two-way and the consumer has to be able to access the cleartext, while with watermarking they don't need or want you to be able to reverse it. Though I'm not sure I would consider something that explicitly allows copying and playback on unapproved players to be DRM.
post #20 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamovie View Post

Now let say i bought the moive and creat an account and down the road my movies lost or ruined now i have to download from their 50GB content
with low internet connection

I doubt the digital copies will have a 50GB option. I think the file sizes will be a lot lower.
Quote:

i understand if its only for digital copies
again if u own bluray u can make a digital copy for you why u need to d/l fromthem

You have to download or stream from them as far as I know. You can't make a digital copy of the disc - unless you know of a link that says otherwise?
post #21 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamovie View Post

i understand if its only for digital copies

You wouldn't assuming said copies played on every device. As it is, managed copy that was supposed to provide that feature is still missing in action. In absence of that, these various other means are being tried.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #22 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Ultraviolet applies to the downloadable copy of the film, NOT the bd itself. This should not (weirder things have been known to happen by accident) impact disc playback.

We can be stronger than that. UV is not a specification owned or approved by Blu-ray association. It is an add on format living side-by-side on disc. As such, it will not have any impact on the blu-ray disc movie experience.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #23 of 45 Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

We can be stronger than that. UV is not a specification owned or approved by Blu-ray association. It is an add on format living side-by-side on disc. As such, it will not have any impact on the blu-ray disc movie experience.

I bet it will slow things down (maybe force discs to use BD-J?). I bet for people who have no interest in the Ultraviolet part, they'll still have adverts for it on the disc or options or prompts to connect to the internet for ultraviolet or other slowdowns/menus to avoid and other functionality not working as well because of UV.
post #24 of 45 Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is UV just the marketing name for the managed copy implementation?

Anyhow, I would prefer to download unrestricted editions of the content even owning the BD rather that use the UV system. Much less hassle, no worries about studios tracking my habits, selling my info to retards, losing my private information, or the "flip the switch - we dont support UV anymore and were gonna power down the servers - so sorry consumer suckers but we got another solution to sell you..."
post #25 of 45 Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Is UV just the marketing name for the managed copy implementation?

No, it is a completely different animal, managed by a different organization.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #26 of 45 Old 10-06-2011, 12:37 PM

Anything new on UV? Does it just apply to the Digital Copy management and allowing you to view it on multiple devices?
post #27 of 45 Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtDaBeach View Post

Anything new on UV? Does it just apply to the Digital Copy management and allowing you to view it on multiple devices?

The digital copy that is included will be controled through the UV system. The BDs and DVDs that consumers purchase will operate no differently.

If they try to link a BD to a unique user so they have no resale value they will kill the physical market. Plus I think forcing BD to use the UV system will violate the BD specification and hence you can consider a UV disc its own proprietary format. The fact is that there is a very large number of BD players that are NOT connected to the internet.

post #28 of 45 Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Liked: 44
post #29 of 45 Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanks.
post #30 of 45 Old 10-10-2011, 01:59 AM

Liked: 14
Like I really want to watch a movie on my phone- are any David Lynch movies going to use this?
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page