Video edit software for home theater audio adjustments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend any software which would allow me to:

(1) Fix unsychronized video and audio throughout a movie (when spoken words do not correspond with mouth movements).
(2) "Level" the sound volume throughout a movie (to avoid loud music that blasts me off the couch).
(3) Increase the voice volume, and reduce the music volume (so music does not drown out the speech).

I stream many movies from my computer's HDD to watch on my TV. I want to make these "edits" to full length movies which I have copied onto my HDD from my purchased DVDs (mostly "MP4" and "AVI"). So far, I have only Standard Definition movies on my HDD, but I plan to copy my Blu-ray discs in the future.

I use a PC with a Core i7-950 CPU, 6GB of RAM memory, a 128GB SSD for my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS and programs, and 2TB HDDs for data and backups. My video card is only a ASUS GeForce ENGTS450.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 310
FFDShow Audio Decoder. The included mixer can do all that you want and more.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Seegs108, for the "FFDShow" recommendation. I have downloaded and installed "FFDShow-Tryouts". I was looking for a program with which I could input a movie file, edit or correct audio features, and then output to a new, modified movie file (for streaming movies from my computer to my TV). "FFDShow" does not appear to be such a program, so I am not sure how to use it.

Is "FFDShow" intended to run in the background, and replace the codecs included in a video transcoding program with codecs customized in "FFDShow"? Or does "FFDShow" provide customized codecs only for Media Players? How can I use "FFDShow" to transcode, edit, or convert movie files on my computer HDD?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-23-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldknight View Post

(1) Fix unsychronized video and audio throughout a movie (when spoken words do not correspond with mouth movements).
(2) "Level" the sound volume throughout a movie (to avoid loud music that blasts me off the couch).
(3) Increase the voice volume, and reduce the music volume (so music does not drown out the speech).

(1) No idea about software, except that my Onkyo receiver has such a sync function built-in.
(2) You want to compress the dynamic range, something I would never consider doing myself, but most receivers also have this function built-in. For instance, I can put my Onkyo in "Night Mode."
(3) To increase the voice volume, turn up the center speaker. That's where almost all dialogue is located. Then turn down the overall volume. Like magic, voice will be louder and surrounding sounds softer.

Of course, if you're not using a surround receiver and 5.1 speakers with your PC, none of this will work. Oh, well.

John
post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldknight View Post

I stream many movies from my computer's HDD to watch on my TV. I want to make these "edits" to full length movies which I have copied onto my HDD from my purchased DVDs (mostly "MP4" and "AVI"). So far, I have only Standard Definition movies on my HDD, but I plan to copy my Blu-ray discs in the future.

I use a PC with a Core i7-950 CPU, 6GB of RAM memory, a 128GB SSD for my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS and programs, and 2TB HDDs for data and backups. My video card is only a ASUS GeForce ENGTS450.

I have finally solved my problem #1; i.e. how to synchronize audio and video for movies played on my TV from my computer HDD. I upgraded from my old "WD TV Live Media Player (Generation 1)" to the new "WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Generation 3)". This new equipment includes a menu adjustment to synchronize audio and video, and it works to fix my movies which are unsynchronized!

I never could find a software program to fix this in my video files, but the new hardware is perfect for my setup. I do not have an A/V Receiver or surround sound speaker system, but the "WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Generation 3)" can be used between a computer and the Receiver (of course, this would not be needed if the audio/video sync adjustment is included with your A/V Receiver.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page