Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Me too. I want something physical for the money just outlaid. I have a few films on a HDD that I can stream, and the convenience is great, but there is something about owning a physical packaged media.

I think HDD will be the next thing, but when is the question. When BD first announced the 50gig disc, there was talk about 100gig discs and many questioned the need. AFAIK, the best they have done is a 66gig disc. So HDD might just be the answer if we actually move to 4K.

And is a 100gig going to make the colour balance any better and EE and DNR go away, I don't think so.

The more things change. The more they stay the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 04-01-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
There isn't the internet infrastructure available to do high quality HD media streaming and it will take years to get it. The bandwidth needed just isn't there, for one.

If Comcast is really the fastest ISP, we're in real trouble in the U.S. Many providers are already talking up (or implementing, like Comcast) bandwidth caps on consumer internet services anyway to dissuade heavy streaming from companies other than the cable company's own video on demand service. That's definitely not a free and clear, unfettered web!

HD streaming from Netflix, Hulu Plus, and other pay sites looks like crap on a decent sized screen. The sound isn't as good as Blu-ray either.

3 Megabits/sec for 1080p is laughable. What do you expect, theater grade 4k at 6?

That's why I expect physical media to be around a while longer.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #63 of 67 Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Liked: 13
The future will be going to your local 7/11 and plugging in a "USB-like" device to a machine that will download the 4k movie in under a minute. You then go home and plug this device into your home player where it will be stored and watched at will. This obviates the need for everyone in the US having gigabit connections at home.
post #64 of 67 Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

The future will be going to your local 7/11 and plugging in a "USB-like" device to a machine that will download the 4k movie in under a minute.

Nah, downloading to a portable memory device at a kiosk has already been tried by MOD Systems. I think they have already gone belly up.
post #65 of 67 Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Nah, downloading to a portable memory device at a kiosk has already been tried by MOD Systems. I think they have already gone belly up.

The technology wasn't there yet. MOD wasn't using doing anything almost any idiot couldn't have done for themselves at home.
post #66 of 67 Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

The technology wasn't there yet.

How so? They could go to a kiosk and download a movie for a fee. The methodology just did not have any appeal to the general public. I know that I will never pay a substantial fee for a movie that is stored using a charge on the gate of FETs. At some point some FETs will lose that charge then there will be no movie. I have no problem doing this for camera pictures and other short term (days to a few years) files.
post #67 of 67 Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

AT the moment, I am very satisfied with my Cable providers picture! Some channels are better than others, but me and again I say "me" I think the picture is very close to Blu Ray.

Am glad yr happy, read some other posts around this forum and sum are not satisfied at ANY amount of compression, which the cable company must do in order to cramp all those channels in there and predicated on your broadband bandwidth.

Increasingly vendors want us to go online. Bet u been hearing more CLOUD this and CLOUD that, and in a way that's natural. U can argue with me all you want but at the end of the day human have limited time and patience, it's just alot more natural to get something online on-demand, now, and GOOD ENOUGH quality. Sure have a little BR library to show off your HT but as u mentioned, your BR lib now will likely have to be updated to the next physical medium in the future.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page