Where can I get/rent Blu Ray quality material now that Blockbuster is nearly dead? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have been a pretty happy Blockbuster customer for several years now, but with the closing of every store w/ in 10 miles it is no longer a viable option.

Getting movies online was OK w/ a store nearby, but on its own is pretty sad. Every movie I want is "unavailable" even in DVD format. I did just get disc 3 of the first season of Breaking Bad....of course worthless since I have not seen disc 1 or 2 (unavailable).

I do not want to stream Netflix.....didn't build a killer HT to watch compressed sources. Netflix does have a BR selection....is it any good?

My wife uses Red box for DVDs but it does not appeal to me. What about Starz and or other sources via my Direct TV?

I have a decent collection of DR's, but I can't buy every movie I want to see.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I get all my Blu-Rays from Netflix.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are you happy? What program do you have?

I just remembered that Direct TV has PPV movies...a little steep at 6 bucks a pop, but I can live w/ that. Is Netflix cheaper?
post #4 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Netflix fo sho.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #5 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I use Netflix and Redbox for bluray. I watched the first three seasons of Breaking Bad on bluray via netflix.
post #6 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, its $18 for one BR at a time....how much for a 3 at a time program? There cite does not give that info.
post #7 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

I use Netflix and Redbox for bluray. I watched the first three seasons of Breaking Bad on bluray via netflix.

I thought Redbox only provided DVDs.
post #8 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Liked: 10
Another nod for Netflix. Their bluray collection is pretty extensive and their shipping is very fast.
post #9 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Moved to proper forum.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #10 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Aside from Netflix, Rebox and the online services I am quite confident we will all see the re-emergence of the small time mom and pop video stores. You know, the ones that the rat baster Blockbuster put out of business. It is very important to remember that the average non techie person needs and will support the small to medium size video rental business.

Now if we could only get rid of Wal-Mart!

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #11 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

I thought Redbox only provided DVDs.

The ones near me(Dallas/Fort Worth) have bluray also. It's like $1.50 per disk.
post #12 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am quite confident we will all see the re-emergence of the small time mom and pop video stores.

I would bet money that won't happen. The average person is perfectly happy with streaming quality and loves the convenience and the fact that nothing is "checked out". With netflix on everything with a chip in it they don't need to be technically inclined either.
post #13 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

Aside from Netflix, Rebox and the online services I am quite confident we will all see the re-emergence of the small time mom and pop video stores. You know, the ones that the rat baster Blockbuster put out of business. It is very important to remember that the average non techie person needs and will support the small to medium size video rental business.

Let's see $1.50 for a Blu-ray from RedBox or $6 for one form a mom and pop store.

Quote:

yes and if you did that and all these mom and pop stores came back you'll have higher prices. If you think mom and pop stores can sell the same stuff as Wal-Mart for the same price you are deluding yourself.
post #14 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I pay Netflix about $16 / month for 2 blu-ray at a time.

VUDU is also a good source for quality streaming if you don't mind paying a little for it. Quality is much, much better than Netflix streaming.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I love Netflix and never have an issue finding what I want. Also if you have access to Amazon you can rent movies there in HD for cheaper than VOD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
With Netflix, we went from 8 disks at a time at the end of 2010 to 0 by fall of 2011. I cancelled after Reed Hastings' infamous "Quikster" speech. I was a very early Netflix customer when they had only a few titles. Netflix went from being an indispensible vendor in my life to being a company I would like to see cease to exist.

The reason is that they simply stopped carrying Blu-ray disks of anything other than the most popular new titles. Art house films, catalog, etc., used to be carried by Netflix but came to a screeching halt.

I also really disliked hearing Reed Hastings continually bash disks (and, by association, disk renters) while he took my money to build his streaming business. However, I would have tolerated this had he continued to meet my needs, which he did not.

As to streaming, the quality of Netflix streaming is very poor, and also varies from title to title. They seem to have no QC on the masters they get. Good streaming is possible (Vudu for example), but not from Netflix in my experience.

We switched to Blockbuster. They are slower, seem to have less depth of copy, but they also seem to have a slightly larger number of catalog and small-volume titles. For the present, I will give Blockbuster a chance as long as they seem to be interested in my being their customer.
post #17 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

In certain areas with specialized demographics, this may be possible. I do think that existing small video stores have been emboldened to think that they can continue the business.

However, overall, I do not expect new video stores to come into existence to any degree. The investment is large, and under any interpretation it appears to be a business that is folding.

I considered trying to build a business by using Redbox-type machines (you can buy them) but using very localized selections of titles. I live in Palo Alto and San Francisco CA, and I thought that I might be able to make money with a combination of art house, Blu-ray, and new titles with the box located in key places that had a lot of highend consumers that are being underserved by recent store closures. On paper, it penciled out, but I am concerned about the startup costs and whether the longevity was there.

I am also very aware that I am inclined to insert my own ideas and taste into things like this, and that I can be wildly optimistic about how much people care about quality. If people really cared about streaming quality, for example, Reed Hastings would be back to computer programming by this time.
post #18 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrat View Post

I pay Netflix about $16 / month for 2 blu-ray at a time.

VUDU is also a good source for quality streaming if you don't mind paying a little for it. Quality is much, much better than Netflix streaming.

I am with netflix 3 discs and the streaming is getting better, HD movie stream quality is superb,great collection of art movies !!
Is Blockbuster better?
post #19 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muralireddy View Post

I am with netflix 3 discs and the streaming is getting better, HD movie stream quality is superb,great collection of art movies !!
Is Blockbuster better?

I have both. Netflix service is better.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #20 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

With Netflix, we went from 8 disks at a time at the end of 2010 to 0 by fall of 2011. I cancelled after Reed Hastings' infamous "Quikster" speech. I was a very early Netflix customer when they had only a few titles. Netflix went from being an indispensible vendor in my life to being a company I would like to see cease to exist.

The reason is that they simply stopped carrying Blu-ray disks of anything other than the most popular new titles. Art house films, catalog, etc., used to be carried by Netflix but came to a screeching halt.

I also really disliked hearing Reed Hastings continually bash disks (and, by association, disk renters) while he took my money to build his streaming business. However, I would have tolerated this had he continued to meet my needs, which he did not.

As to streaming, the quality of Netflix streaming is very poor, and also varies from title to title. They seem to have no QC on the masters they get. Good streaming is possible (Vudu for example), but not from Netflix in my experience.

We switched to Blockbuster. They are slower, seem to have less depth of copy, but they also seem to have a slightly larger number of catalog and small-volume titles. For the present, I will give Blockbuster a chance as long as they seem to be interested in my being their customer.

Unless you have a Blockbuster nearby, you will be disappointed. I have 39 discs in my Que....nothing goes in there unless I have read favorable reviews, or at least a 75% or higher degree of freshness from RT. Of those 39 only 4 are available. We are like minded when it comes to movie quality (although I do make exceptions for more mas oriented fare is it is reference material for the system).

Yes, Reed Hastings behaves like a feminine hygiene product, if I can get a 3 out policy w/ decent selection (at this point, underwritten by all those happy streamers) I will go for it. Is the selection not likely to improve? 1 out BR is $18....how much is 3 out? Maybe I should make a phone call.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just called....20 bucks for 3 out. However, there was no indication whether or not the movies are Blu Ray. I looked at The Descendants, True Grit, The Lincoln Lawyer, and Iron Man 2, but there was nothing to suggest if they are DVDs or BR.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just called....20 bucks for 3 out. However, there was no indication whether or not the movies are Blu Ray. I looked at The Descendants, True Grit, The Lincoln Lawyer, and Iron Man 2, but there was nothing to suggest if they are DVDs or BR.

You have to add BR to your account, usually $2 more a month. All of those are available in BR.

post #23 of 36 Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

The ones near me(Dallas/Fort Worth) have bluray also. It's like $1.50 per disk.

And their selection is next to nothing.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #24 of 36 Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 PM

I for one wish that mom and pop spots would come back...
Vudu is the only real streaming option out there if you care about the qaulity of the film and audio, and even their service is nowhere near being on par with the actual BR...
I have done many comparisons of some of today's latest films, and at best Vudu's 1080p stream looks alot like the actual DVD being upconverted to 1080p maybe a tad better and thats me being generous, plus the audio is the DD 5.1 being mixed up or down depending on the original track(I have a 100mb service and that still would not support the audio and video quality of Blu-ray disc)...
In short I feel its just big business trying to dupe us into buying those pirated downloadable films after the official release instead of before.....
post #25 of 36 Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So, its $18 for one BR at a time....how much for a 3 at a time program?

No... it's cheaper than that, make sure you specify no streaming.

You are not looking hard enough. For every movie you search for it tells you whether it's available on DVD, BR, streaming.

The good thing about Netflix is, if you don't like, you can switch plan, stop it, and cancel it all online wo talking to no %&$^%# agent.

Do what I do, signup, get your fill of BR you want to watch. For me, there is really only about 30 tittles that am interested in, your mileage may vary, then cancel it after that. It's no fuss man. U don't have to call them and be on hold for 30 minutes to cancel.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #26 of 36 Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Click here to sign up for Blockbuster By Mail, click here to sign up for Netflix By Mail.

post #27 of 36 Old 04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyeagles2008 View Post

I for one wish that mom and pop spots would come back...
Vudu is the only real streaming option out there if you care about the qaulity of the film and audio, and even their service is nowhere near being on par with the actual BR...
I have done many comparisons of some of today's latest films, and at best Vudu's 1080p stream looks alot like the actual DVD being upconverted to 1080p maybe a tad better and thats me being generous, plus the audio is the DD 5.1 being mixed up or down depending on the original track(I have a 100mb service and that still would not support the audio and video quality of Blu-ray disc)...
In short I feel its just big business trying to dupe us into buying those pirated downloadable films after the official release instead of before.....

Even at 1080p Vudu only offers about half the bandwidth of a DVD. Neflex on the other hand, offers decent PQ and for 8 bucks a month you won't get any complaints from me. As far as Blu-Ray is concern, it's the only available HD replicated format, and due to it's generous storage capacity and high visual resoution, (the measurement of the smallest detail) it provides the best video quality period, regardless of the resolution limits of your HDTV.

Ian

post #28 of 36 Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Even at 1080p Vudu only offers about half the bandwidth of a DVD.

Actually, Vudu's HDX streams are typically around 1Mbps less than the maximum allowed by DVD-Video, which is 9.8Mbps video+audio. Most DVDs don't hit the max.
post #29 of 36 Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Actually, Vudu's HDX streams are typically around 1Mbps less than the maximum allowed by DVD-Video, which is 9.8Mbps video+audio. Most DVDs don't hit the max.

I stand corrected, however, originally it was only about half that, but streaming services are getting better. Vudu HDX now offers speeds up to 20Mbps which is close to cable's VOD. I'm also seeing improvements with Netflix. Still, it ain't Blu-Ray, which is truly the only full HD format.

From PC World:

Quote:
Even the best streaming services that claim to be in HD stream at only about 1 mbps, or 5 to 10 mbps at the most, says Mark Waldrep, president and chief engineer of AIX Media Group. That's about the same as a standard DVD disc, which presents video at 4 to 8 mbps.
In comparison, a Blu-ray Disc pumps pixels at up to 36 mbps, says Waldrep. As a result, when you're watching 1977's Star Wars: A New Hope, for example, you can see the grime on C-3PO's golden shell and laugh at Princess Leia's bad makeup job.

Ian

post #30 of 36 Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Sum of u are too hung up on the technology. Not all movies are worth watching, produced with HD in mind. It's only $, u got enough, have your assistant go out and keep you stocked on the latest BR so u don't have to deal with less than perfection.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page