post #31 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Can we make a subforum called "Blu-ray is dead, because I say so?" biggrin.gif Every one of these troll posts is the same: Me and my friends ain't buying no more! We killed blu-ray! Good job, dude. Fight the power!cool.gif

With Neflix, BB online and Red Box, it's less then 2 bucks for a movie. For 1080p, full bandwidth visual resolution, and lossless audio quality, Blu-Ray can't be beat.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Not being able to buy a new release for dirt cheap or rent it on day one is a pretty lame excuse to give up on the entire format for good. It's not the format's fault for individual business decisions (to close down rental outlets) or merely because your preferred mode of delivery is not longer available. Instead blame the greedy distributors in Canada for charging exorbitant prices and whatever reasons causing the closure of rental outlets.
Disc prices usually go down if you are patient. I'm not a "want it now" impulsive sort of person nor do I have the irresistible urge to watch it on release day.
It's a complete non-issue for me: I never rent Blu-rays. I no longer pay $20+ for any movie BDs (except deluxe SE sets) but import or buy only during Walmart sales, all for much less. Shopping around is never so easy with the internet and there are places to tell you about deals locally and abroad.
It's not as if there is no viable alternative to warrant all the bitterness. If you are prepared to settle for less quality so readily that's nobody's business really to be told but it just shows you don't really cherish it that much in the first place. Oh don't forget to sell the BDP too!wink.gif

So basically the only way to see new releases is to buy it. You really think thats reasonable for the customer? Are you serious? Think about it for a second. Not everyone is willing to buy a movie just to view it once. And then what, it collects dust on my shelf? That is why I dont buy movies anymore cause theyre a waste. Giving this as ONLY option to people in Canada is just pure garbage. If they want to take this route than screw them, their sales will take a hit in Canada.

I think I have very good reasoning for not supporting this format anymore. And like I said theres a reason why I know many others who have too, as their hardware has been collecting dust in the past year from no usage.
post #33 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Why not just rent dvds and then buy the movies you actually like on BD?

Thats what I do. We use Redbox, and I'm not sure about that in Canada.
post #34 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

Giving this as ONLY option to people in Canada is just pure garbage.

No it's NOT. There's been numerous posts from other members already confirming that there are several ways to rent Blu-rays in Canada, so continuously saying there's no way to rent a Blu-ray in this country doesn't make a lot of sense.
post #35 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

No it's NOT. There's been numerous posts from other members already confirming that there are several ways to rent Blu-rays in Canada, so continuously saying there's no way to rent a Blu-ray in this country doesn't make a lot of sense.

redbox is unavailable in my area. Its still in the works but nothing as of right now.

Netflix is garbage.

Best Buy rental kiosks are DVD only here.

Ive looked into it, there is nothing available here for Alberta citizens.
post #36 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And even then, having to go online just to rent a movie is pure ****** if you ask me. What, are we aliens? "Oh hey look, theres a new release i want to rent, I guess i better pre-rent it online a week prior just so it can get here."

Online rentals = a joke.

Whats next? Having to go online to buy groceries?
post #37 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

right now from what i found.
Quote:
The company, which is a division of Coinstar Inc., hopes to install 2,000 to 2,500 kiosks in Canada over the next couple of years.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Redbox+launch+test+project+Canadian+retailers+starting+June/6668200/story.html#ixzz1x8HGHlKX

So looks like Redbox is a couple years away from having setups in Canada. Ya thanks but no thanks. 2yrs is ridiculous. Check back with me then, i doubt BR will still even be alive. People aint gonna wait that long.
post #38 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

And even then, having to go online just to rent a movie is pure ****** if you ask me. What, are we aliens? "Oh hey look, theres a new release i want to rent, I guess i better pre-rent it online a week prior just so it can get here."

You got an iTunes account? wink.gif
post #39 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And lets face it, how are you going to sell the BR format to new customers in Canada? For all those customers who were on the fence prior to the local chains shutting down. Guess what? They have held off on jumping into the format. Cause why would anyone get into a format when the only way for them to watch new releases is to buy. That aint happening. Not everyone wants a collection of movies. Theres tons like me who only watch movies once and like the convenience of just renting a new release after work. Well now, thats just not possible. So BR players collect dust, lots of players and lots of dust. The only reason i even have a BR player is cause i have a PS3, otherwise if I bought one, I would have thrown the player out my window by now and watch it smash onto the concrete. That just tells you how i feel towards the format right now.
post #40 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem View Post

Although I don't totally agree with all of the OP's opinions, it is pretty bad in Canada now.
- hardly any physical rental places left
- Netflix only does streaming in Canada and the selection is poor
- no Vudu or Hulu in Canada
- zip.ca does mail-based disc rentals but you basically never get new releases from your queue
- even if you could tolerate the quality of streaming video, most Internet providers have bandwidth caps
- I've never seen a rental kiosk in my city (pop. well over 100,000) so they are rare
I've been buying more Blu-rays since I can't rent, so I guess the greedy movie companies are winning.....

There was less then this in the UK yet I watch it all thinks to DNS changes, sometimes you have to work for stuff
post #41 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
So you don't like BR. What are you doing about it? Renting DVD's? VHS?
post #42 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

So you don't like BR. What are you doing about it? Renting DVD's? VHS?

Nothing i can do about it, and that explains why i havent put in a BR since last spring, over a year ago. My interest in movies since all the places shut down has gone down the toilet, i look at the BRs coming out and maybe 1 out of 1000 new releases will interest me. For the most part i just find all movies these days lame or cheesy or watered down.
post #43 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 318
To be honest with you, if I didn't have rental services to supply me with BD's I would just wait until they came on HBO, Starz or Show Time. If your going to spend the extra cash to buy a BD just to see a movie, then you mind as well spend 5 or 6 bucks to watch a film on Vudu or pay per view. At least you'll get HD quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #44 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

My interest in movies since all the places shut down has gone down the toilet, i look at the BRs coming out and maybe 1 out of 1000 new releases will interest me. For the most part i just find all movies these days lame or cheesy or watered down.

So the real title of this post should be "I'm officially done with movies." Bummer deal, dude. I hope you get over it.

I will say this, I have never rented a blu-ray, and almost never rented dvds. I only buy movies that are catalog titles that I know I like, or new movies that I research in advance. So for me, shiny discs are about collecting and ownership. I definitely don't get outraged if prices aren't what I think they should be, and I'm not crying too much about the death of chain rental stores, only the smaller record and video stores where I used to be able to buy hard to find movies. The industry has changed. Stamp your feet all you want, change will continue to happen.
post #45 of 52 Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:

In canada like I said there is 0 renting, you have to buy if you want to view BR. Which is ridiculous if you ask me, Good luck on those new releases BR.

There are more cities in Canada than the one you are living in. It's unfortunate that there is no where to rent in your city (are you 100% sure there are no Mom and Pop stores), but it is not the case for other cities. Kitchener, ON is not huge, but I have 2 stores and one kiosk available. None of them are convenient, but they are my only options for rental, so I'm fine with that.
post #46 of 52 Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
From what I can see, RedBox is in process of rolling out a fairly major expansion in Canada .. Walmarts / etc .. to bad, since you'd think that an enterprising Canadian businessman / woman would have taken advantage of the void that's apparently been in the market ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #47 of 52 Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Can we make a subforum called "Blu-ray is dead, because I say so?" biggrin.gif Every one of these troll posts is the same: Me and my friends ain't buying no more! We killed blu-ray! Good job, dude. Fight the power!cool.gif

Well, I too like Bluray and own disks, I don't subscribe to Netflix because I don't like the streaming PQ. However, the future of Video and Audio entertainment (of course with better technology now being developed) , is NOT optical disks, and that is a fact. So the OP is moving in the right direction , just a little early in my opinion. By the way I own 3 Bluray players and I will not be getting rid of them.

Cheers.
post #48 of 52 Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennem View Post

Although I don't totally agree with all of the OP's opinions, it is pretty bad in Canada now.
- hardly any physical rental places left
- Netflix only does streaming in Canada and the selection is poor
- no Vudu or Hulu in Canada
- zip.ca does mail-based disc rentals but you basically never get new releases from your queue
- even if you could tolerate the quality of streaming video, most Internet providers have bandwidth caps
- I've never seen a rental kiosk in my city (pop. well over 100,000) so they are rare
I've been buying more Blu-rays since I can't rent, so I guess the greedy movie companies are winning.....
I'm not planning to move to Canada. I'm sure that 1/2 the year it's too cold to go outside and they don't even have decent video. OK if you like to read a lot. rolleyes.gif Well, they do have universal health care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

From what I can see, RedBox is in process of rolling out a fairly major expansion in Canada .. Walmarts / etc .. to bad, since you'd think that an enterprising Canadian businessman / woman would have taken advantage of the void that's apparently been in the market ..
There's probably something/somebody with a stranglehold on competition.
post #49 of 52 Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I live in a small town just north of winnipeg and i can rent BR at my local mom and pop grocery. Your argument is asinine. Let's see, canada has 35 mil, usa has 375 mil... Yeah, br's really going to take a hit. Give your head a shake. Take your head out of your rearend and look around. You will find a small local shop that rents br. If not, well, i'm sure you will be sorely missed by the br manufacturers.
RonAlam likes this.
post #50 of 52 Old 06-11-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
OK, so here's a thought for you, and it's something I have done on many occassions.

Buy the disk that you want to see on the week that it comes out and try to get it cheap. Watch it once on your own or with the other half.

Open up an ebay.ca account. Sell it on eBay if you don't wish to keep it. Recoup a good portion of your money.

I've blind bought bunches of films that I didn't want to keep and got shot of them that way.

And I didn't even mention ripping them before selling them on either.,.. biggrin.gif

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #51 of 52 Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM

7/10, good troll post, it sucked me in, got me to respond and I had to re-write my response 3 times.
post #52 of 52 Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

My interest in movies since all the places shut down has gone down the toilet, i look at the BRs coming out and maybe 1 out of 1000 new releases will interest me. For the most part i just find all movies these days lame or cheesy or watered down.

That being said, we can close this thread.

The OP has stated his position, members have offered suggestions...it would appear we are at a dead end. Sorry for your situation and frustration.
nethien likes this.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page