Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just sold off my last 2 bluray movies cause im no longer a supporter of this format. Sorry but if you expect consumes here in Canda to buy them, cause thats literally the ONLY way to watch a new release bluray, forget it. I dont pay $20+ for movies. Rogers video and blockbusters here all shut down, not a single one or any place that you can rent blurays from. Not even online. Sure it may come, but god knows when that will be, it could be 2029 for all we know. And thats besides the point, the point is, its been 6+ months now since Blockbusters all shut down and not able to rent bluray movies locally. So I said screw it, im no longer a supporter of this format. Ive had no choice but to go back to dvd rips and streaming online. This is just unacceptable if you want the movie format to be bought by customers in Canada when theres no options. I havent put a BR disc in my player for about a year.

And im not the only one. I know quite a few people who have bluray players as well and use to be huge supporters of them. Not anymore. Their hardware has been collecting dust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
raoul_duke and Digitaltrooper like this.
post #3 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
To whom are you actually addressing? If you truly want your concerns addressed an indirect rant on a forum will not help that cause. Write the studios and Redbox to have rental kiosks available in your neck of the woods.

I fail to understand the connection and relevance of your grievance of being unable to rent BRs to boycotting the only current viable medium to view the best V/A HD.

What seems to be a more sensible approach would be stream films you are interested in and if thoroughly enjoyed purchase the BR. Why on earth resort to solely streaming and DVDs?

Boycotting BR over asinine and superfluous DRM schemes, usage of DNR, revisionist contrasts changes, unskippable warnings/ads/trailers, etc; makes considerably more sense.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #4 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
rolleyes.gif at the price of blu's getting down to almost $5, why not just BUY the ones you truly want, say like amazon or the like. Don't give up!!!biggrin.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #5 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I see plenty of BD's under $10 and certainly under $15. Of course there isn't quite the selection and/or what you find may be based on price. Otherwise, your gripe sounds like a potential business opportunity for you to be the one to provide BD's in your area.
post #6 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname View Post

I just sold off my last 2 bluray movies cause im no longer a supporter of this format. Sorry but if you expect consumes here in Canda to buy them, cause thats literally the ONLY way to watch a new release bluray, forget it. I dont pay $20+ for movies. Rogers video and blockbusters here all shut down, not a single one or any place that you can rent blurays from. Not even online. Sure it may come, but god knows when that will be, it could be 2029 for all we know. And thats besides the point, the point is, its been 6+ months now since Blockbusters all shut down and not able to rent bluray movies locally. So I said screw it, im no longer a supporter of this format. Ive had no choice but to go back to dvd rips and streaming online. This is just unacceptable if you want the movie format to be bought by customers in Canada when theres no options. I havent put a BR disc in my player for about a year.
And im not the only one. I know quite a few people who have bluray players as well and use to be huge supporters of them. Not anymore. Their hardware has been collecting dust.

Last time I put a Blu-ray disc in my player was............wait for it.....yesterday! tongue.gif

I buy them mostly from Futureshop, BestBuy, HMV, and online as well (Amazon US usually). If I can't rent a Blu-ray well I rent a dvd, big deal. But if I want to own the movie there are plenty of options available up here and yes I'm (still for a while) living in Canada. When you say you go back to dvd rips and streaming, you mean you can't rent dvds either?confused.gif Did you buy dvds when they they were $20+? As closet Geek mentioned, a lot of Blu-rays are less than $20 btw.
post #7 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Blame Canada.
post #8 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Blame Canada.

"They're not even a real country anyway..." biggrin.gif
raoul_duke likes this.
post #9 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

rolleyes.gif at the price of blu's getting down to almost $5, why not just BUY the ones you truly want, say like amazon or the like. Don't give up!!!biggrin.gif

Ill only buy a bluray is its under $5 and pretty much all ive seen are garbage.
post #10 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

"Huge supporters" indeed.
post #11 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

This statement indicates to me that you are not an A/V enthusiast. Going backward in time, new release DVDs were never priced that low, and LaserDisc was never anywhere close to being $5, so that means there was never a time that you were able/willing to buy new movies on physical media.

As others have said, if you just want to see movies cheaply regardless of quality, go the online streaming route. I agree that it sounds like Blu-ray is not the format for you.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #12 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Your name is Prince, but are you funky?
post #13 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

This statement indicates to me that you are not an A/V enthusiast. Going backward in time, new release DVDs were never priced that low, and LaserDisc was never anywhere close to being $5, so that means there was never a time that you were able/willing to buy new movies on physical media.
As others have said, if you just want to see movies cheaply regardless of quality, go the online streaming route. I agree that it sounds like Blu-ray is not the format for you.

I used to buy BR for $15-20 and they collect dust on my shelf cause 999 out of 1000 movies i see, ill never want to watch again. So i lowered my budget to $5. Basically the cost of renting.
post #14 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
As streaming and DVD are imho are unacceptable for watching movies i find your choice illogical at best. you can rent blu-rays from netflix as i understand it.
post #15 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 02:59 PM

After reading just the thread title - my first thought: Are you moving on to 4k now? Your movie viewing options will be quite limited..
post #16 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Oh no blu-rays in trouble now.

post #17 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

Oh no blu-rays in trouble now.

While his solution may seem extreme to those of us (like me) who could barely think of their home theater now without Blu-Ray...he does have one point to make.
Here in Canada with the two major store-based places for Blu-Ray rental no longer available - Blockbuster AND Rogers - that does seem a problem, perhaps for Blu-Ray
and certainly for lots of Canadians who have been used to renting them that way. I'm not sure what percentage of people buy Blu-Rays vs renting, but I'd think renting made
up the bulk. It's a real bummer for me that I can't easily go rent from Bockbuster and Rogers anymore, as they were the two places most convenient (they were everywhere).
As it happens since I'm near downtown I'm close enough to one of the last, lingering DVD/Blu-Ray rental places which has a fantastic selection. But if not, I'd be incredibly pissed.
Yes I know there is Netflix. But I've heard endless grumbling about Netflix from subscribers and people I know. And I've always liked the ability to just go out and get the movie
I want to watch NOW...or tomorrow or whatever, rather than order on line and waaaaaiiiiiit....hoping it shows up at some point.

So I can empathize with the OP's frustration on that issue. Not to mention, the fewer available ways to rent Blu-Ray the worse for Blu-Ray, it seems to me.
post #18 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

As streaming and DVD are imho are unacceptable for watching movies i find your choice illogical at best. you can rent blu-rays from netflix as i understand it.

In canada like I said there is 0 renting, you have to buy if you want to view BR. Which is ridiculous if you ask me, Good luck on those new releases BR.
post #19 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Although I don't totally agree with all of the OP's opinions, it is pretty bad in Canada now.
- hardly any physical rental places left
- Netflix only does streaming in Canada and the selection is poor
- no Vudu or Hulu in Canada
- zip.ca does mail-based disc rentals but you basically never get new releases from your queue
- even if you could tolerate the quality of streaming video, most Internet providers have bandwidth caps
- I've never seen a rental kiosk in my city (pop. well over 100,000) so they are rare

I've been buying more Blu-rays since I can't rent, so I guess the greedy movie companies are winning.....
post #20 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Well i'm in canada and I can rent blurays. The big boxes are all out of business, leaving an opportunity for the private business owner to own the market. I rather own though, so I shop around and pick up specials at best buy, future shop or even the hock shops.
post #21 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 285
I buy more than rent Blu-rays, but I can rent them for sure in Montreal.
post #22 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I have Netflix and BB, which provide me with most of my Blu-Rays. I watch 2 to 3 movies on BD a week. There are at lease a half dozen Red Box kiosks in a 5 mile radius from my house and yet I rarely use them, since many of the rentals are only available in DVD. I use to go to my local BB store, but it was one of the first to close, and to be honest with you, I don't miss it in the least.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #23 of 52 Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Sounds to me like this post will make some smart guy with money in Canada, a lot more money.

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #24 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Not being able to buy a new release for dirt cheap or rent it on day one is a pretty lame excuse to give up on the entire format for good. It's not the format's fault for individual business decisions (to close down rental outlets) or merely because your preferred mode of delivery is not longer available. Instead blame the greedy distributors in Canada for charging exorbitant prices and whatever reasons causing the closure of rental outlets.

Disc prices usually go down if you are patient. I'm not a "want it now" impulsive sort of person nor do I have the irresistible urge to watch it on release day.

It's a complete non-issue for me: I never rent Blu-rays. I no longer pay $20+ for any movie BDs (except deluxe SE sets) but import or buy only during Walmart sales, all for much less. Shopping around is never so easy with the internet and there are places to tell you about deals locally and abroad.

It's not as if there is no viable alternative to warrant all the bitterness. If you are prepared to settle for less quality so readily that's nobody's business really to be told but it just shows you don't really cherish it that much in the first place. Oh don't forget to sell the BDP too!wink.gif

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #25 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Why not just rent dvds and then buy the movies you actually like on BD?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #26 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. smile.gif
Rustolem likes this.
post #27 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

There are places like iNetVideo that are based in Canada that have good prices... I understand why you're upset, but banning blu-ray seems kinda weird. I'd think you'd want to keep the movies you already own so that you can have the best quality possible...

If renting is that difficult, perhaps you should rent the DVD and then if it's something you want to own, wait until you see the movie at the right price. You can save a ton of money that way.

For me, if there is a movie in the theater I want to see, I hold off on seeing it but blind buy the blu-ray at $20. I tell myself it would've cost this much for my wife and I to see it, so I get a prize by keeping it. For movies I don't care about, I usually rent first and wait for price to drop... end up paying a total of $5-10 a movie that way. I'll buy catalogs at $5-10 unless it's something I really liked and I find out that studio put a lot of work into it...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #28 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In canada like I said there is 0 renting, you have to buy if you want to view BR. Which is ridiculous if you ask me, Good luck on those new releases BR.

Obviously not true, I have a great store to rent BD's from 5 minutes from home. There is another 15 mins. away. It depends on the area you live, BB and Rogers getting out of the business has left a large void, but we should start seeing more of the Mom n Pop style stores open up.
post #29 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Redbox is now in canada
post #30 of 52 Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Can we make a subforum called "Blu-ray is dead, because I say so?" biggrin.gif Every one of these troll posts is the same: Me and my friends ain't buying no more! We killed blu-ray! Good job, dude. Fight the power!cool.gif
raoul_duke likes this.
Closed Thread HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page