Blu-ray Authoring and H.264 Video Processing Software Recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I feel like I am venturing into rarely explored territory so please excuse me if this post seems especially long and drawn out.

My current equipment (just for understanding my process is as follows):

For my PC:
Core2Quad 6600 system
GeForce 470
Hauppauge Colossus card
DVD Writer
Blu-ray Writer

Separately (but related) I have a standalone set-top Panasonic Blu-ray Player.

What I have done thus far:
I have been successfully capturing 1080i HD video from my Time Warner HD DVR Cable box, to my PC using the Colossus card.

I have used the ArcSoft ShoBiz/Total Media software which came with the Colossus card to snip off the trailing edges of the video, remove commercials and write out AVCHD DVDs which I can then play on standalone set-top box Blu-ray players.

The issues I wish to overcome are as follows:

The ArcSoft ShoBiz/Total Media bundled software seems to be rather slow, and less than perfectly stable or ideal for what I am trying to accomplish.

For the first part of my process, I would like to at least be able to snip the trailing edges of the video clean (and ideally strip the commercials), and then convert the output file into AVCHD or another set-top box compatible Blu-ray Player format while minimizing/eliminating the re-encode time.

The next hurdle would be to find software which will allow me to author Blu-ray video discs, for larger videos (which will not fit on standard dual-layer DVDs), and to allow me to write multiple shows (or episodes) to a Blu-ray with menus.

[The bundled ArcSoft ShoBiz/Total Media software DOES NOT offer the ability to write to Blu-ray disks, so I cannot write out even a single extended (1-1/2 hour) episode I captured at the highest rate without really compressing it and losing quality.]

I am leaning towards a single software package to accommodate all of the above tasks, though I would not be opposed to using multiple applications as long as the file formats are compatible, don't create any audio/video syncing or quality issues, and don't increase my encoding time.

If I found an application which offered clipping without re-encoding, which played well with other apps and didn't create sync issues, I could see taking the cleaned up file and attempting to encode/process it through HandBrake given that it's flexible and multi-threaded (provided I can find/someone can help me find/determine the optimal settings/options/config string).

From what I've read, the best, or most complete and fool-proof single-package option might be CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra (though it looks like much of this will be overkill/not apply to my scenario), but I would like to hear from someone who has used this or other apps to do similar things and can actually speak to their capabilities.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with this or any other video processing apps which allow you to work with H.264 video and author Blu-ray discs?

Hasn't anyone else attempted to do this? (Am I all alone here?) smile.gif

[The last forum I posted these questions to on another tech site received zero responses after a number of weeks.]

Many thanks in advance...
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page