USB playback through blu ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I usually watch all my downloaded movies on my laptop(mainly 720/1080 rips about 5-10 gb in size). I use potplayer with lav codecs, and madvr so the picture always looks great. I just recently decided to start connecting my external HDD to my blu ray player and watching the movies that way because while my laptop is more than capable of playing the files they tend to use just enough cpu power to start my fan which is rather loud. My question is since the codecs and filters used on my laptop are supposed to improve picture quality and performance would they perform better than the blu ray player or should the internal codecs of the blu ray player be better? I feel like the blu ray player produces a bit softer image but it could just be me. I know there shouldnt be a huge difference among the two and obviously I cant really tell, but its just something I think would be cool to know since im new to playing usb through a blu ray player without an actual media player or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 344
I download free Divix movies from my PC on to a flash drive and like you use a BD player to watch them on my plasma and lcd TV's. They may look a bit softer, but at least in my case, it is probably do to the fact that they are being seen on a much larger screen.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Liked: 11
Maybe just like me, I prefer to playback video with Windows Media Player instead of the other video player. I think the image from WMP is different from third-party player. Maybe it's just a illusion.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Been looking at the new Panasonic BD players. No more Divix video playback. Been replaced with MKV.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucew0617 View Post

Maybe just like me, I prefer to playback video with Windows Media Player instead of the other video player. I think the image from WMP is different from third-party player. Maybe it's just a illusion.
It's possible WMP may be better optimized by Wintel hardware than other players that have versions for other operating systems and hardware configurations. Further, some players may come preset with certain image settings turned on by default that may be innactive in WMP be default.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

It's possible WMP may be better optimized by Wintel hardware than other players that have versions for other operating systems and hardware configurations. Further, some players may come preset with certain image settings turned on by default that may be innactive in WMP be default.
Yeah, maybe you are right. Some players will turn on the image smart optimization automatically.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page