Best Buy Cutting Back On Blu. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't know how many of you shop at Best Buy for your titles - on occasion or regularly - but the company has decided to re-arrange it's stores and axe the comprehensive DVD/Blu-Ray selections they were once known for. This is not a few stores, but all of them according to what I have been told and their focus is moving to things other than media - with the exception of games - such as appliances. Rumor has it that even fitness equipment may soon enter Best Buy stores. Needless to say, you can always use their website, but they will not be stocking many catalog titles in the future. My own attempts to buy them from local stores over the past two months has been a complete failure as they are only being shipped new releases for the most part. Even Patton is unavailable in my area and I live in a big military region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I hate to break it to you, but this is old news. Well I should say it's old news here in Minnesota (BB HQ). Nearly all the stores have been remodeled to look like Apple or Microsoft stores. On the plus side, the Magnolia and appliance departments are much better. The downside is only one aisle dedicated to Blu-ray. Two if you're lucky.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 263
The Best (Worst) Buys in my neck of the woods have shuffled the DVD's and Blu-ray's together... now it's a muddled mess. Just like this chain.

How can electronics and media designed around 4k even exist in this climate of the dying brick 'n' mortar retail model? What about quality speakers too? You need to physically experience this stuff in person (kick the tires, so to speak)... not just spin the wheel, order it all on-line, and hope for the best.

Will there be a resurgence of the A/V boutique store when the Best Buys of the world shrivel up?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Yeah I have one of the redesigned stores near me. Not impressed personally. They still carry the same overpriced stuff and cater to the extremely casual buyer. I stopped being interested in that store a long time ago. Besides I can order from Amazon and get it sent to my house within a day or two, usually at a lower price. There's always a *shudder* Fry's near me as well if I want that instant gratification kick. Good luck to BB but really I don't see them being around in a recognizable form for too much longer.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I usually only go there for new releases anyway, so it's not that big of a deal for me. I go online for catalog or older titles.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #6 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Agree
WTF?
I love Amazon and Apple- but man they are killing off quality in media left and right for the sake of convenience.
I fear the day when I have to buy my next television online.
I can not imagine buying home theater equipment without a demo.
I guess the super high end shops will still be there.
It's a shame what joe-six will accept.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Best Buy is in the early throws of The Death of Retail. This is just another symptom.

First was their huge discount, deals and trade in of Bluray, Video Games and other media / low margin items to get foot traffic, and hopefully buoy sales.

Which means good deals, increasing crappier service, and eventually closed signs ala Circuit City.
post #8 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post

Agree
WTF?
I love Amazon and Apple- but man they are killing off quality in media left and right for the sake of convenience.
I fear the day when I have to buy my next television online.
I can not imagine buying home theater equipment without a demo.
I guess the super high end shops will still be there.
It's a shame what joe-six will accept.

I'm not thrilled with bestbuy's business practices, either, but it's beneficial for consumers to have B&M competition for the online titans.

I tried buying a TV from an online retailer once and it was a disaster.

Bestbuy doesn't have a clear direction right now for it's future. I suppose competition will come from the major retail chains such as target and walmart.
post #9 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

...they will not be stocking many catalog titles in the future.

I shop at BB fairly regularly, and haven't really noticed a big cutback on Blu-ray titles (yet?)... just that they've blended the BD and DVD sections. Their in-store selection has never been that great though, so maybe the DVD/BD sections were merged to make it seem like they have more of both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

My own attempts to buy them from local stores over the past two months has been a complete failure as they are only being shipped new releases for the most part. Even Patton is unavailable in my area and I live in a big military region.

I don't know the music/video chains in the east, but the selection at Fry's Electronics is much better, if you have one near you. Amoeba Music is another good option on the west coast for folks in the SF or LA areas. If they don't have an item in stock they can usually order it for in-store pickup, and they also take tradeins.

If there isn't somethin similar in the VA/DC area (which would surprise me), then I'd look for a good independent/2nd-hand music/video shop. They may also be able to order items for you that they don't have in stock.

You could also try Borders and Barnes & Noble.

ADU
post #10 of 31 Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
My Target just did a bizarre combination of DVD/Blu-ray by category. For example, there is now a "TV" section and the television releases are all alphabetically mixed together there, regardless of format. I'm sure that a few uninformed customers are going to buy a Blu-ray set by mistake and bring it back for a refund when it won't play on their DVD player.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #11 of 31 Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Our local Best Buy has made it very clear they are not interested in catering to customers interested in browsing blu-ray titles. They've made it inconvenient and cumbersome for folks like me who have interest only in perusing and purchasing blu-ray titles by burying them among DVDs on the shelves. I cannot imagine the logic - and told them that as I was leaving at the end of a recent visit when they asked if I found what I was looking for and I told them "No, I gave up looking" and then said why. The twit at the door was polite . . useless . . but polite.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #12 of 31 Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
So many newly=released catalogue titles that they don't even stock....OUTLAND, BRAINSTORM, HALLOWEEN 3, etc. etc. etc. If tthey don't want to bother, I won't bother with them.

post #13 of 31 Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

If you don't want to buy online, fwiw BB can also do in-store ordering/pickup on many items they don't normally stock on the shelf.

ADU
post #14 of 31 Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

If you don't want to buy online, fwiw BB can also do in-store ordering/pickup on many items they don't normally stock on the shelf.

The problem is still that you have to go there twice and only few BB is offering it.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can only get in-store pick-up from the website based on what a store has in their inventory or you have it shipped to you. Those are your only two ordering options for media. Other products can be ordered as you describe, but not media.
post #16 of 31 Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

^ That wasn't the impression I got from talking to some of the employees. But I haven't personnally tried the in-store pickup thingie, so I'll defer to your info on that.

If I understand your comments above though, you can still place an order for basically any movie on the BB website, and pay for it there in the store, and they'll ship it to you, saving you a trip back. Wouldn't that accomplish the same goal (ie, not ordering off the web), with less hassle?

The Patton BD is listed on their website btw (they actually have a couple versions, but it looks like this one may be the most recent).

ADU
post #17 of 31 Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ That wasn't the impression I got from talking to some of the employees. But I haven't personnally tried the in-store pickup thingie, so I'll defer to your info on that.

If I understand your comments above though, you can still place an order for basically any movie on the BB website, and pay for it there in the store, and they'll ship it to you, saving you a trip back. Wouldn't that accomplish the same goal (ie, not ordering off the web), with less hassle?

No, you can't order media in the store. You can only order it online and and you can only do in-store pick-up if you can select in-store pickup at check-out - it isn't always an option as many CD/DVD/Blu-Ray titles are not carried in the stores these days and can only be shipped to you from Best Buy distribution centers - and find a store that you can get to that currently has that merchandise on the shelves or in the media section of the merchandise warehouse. Ordering the new Patton Blu-Ray from Best Buy's website and having it shipped to me is the only option I have if I want to buy from Best Buy until they send a shipment of Patton Blu-Rays to the stores in my area, which may not be until December.
post #18 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If Best Buy goes under, it leaves no store in Hawaii that carries a decent inventory of Blu-Rays available other than Wally-World.... They already merged all the movies together into one section and a lot of titles have disappeared.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #19 of 31 Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
BB announced this move around a year ago and dispute bizarre claims otherwise this is not good nor have zero consequences for the BD format. It also makes price matching a lot more difficult which I found out through experience.
post #20 of 31 Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I was told a few months ago buy a Best Buy manager that after Christmas, all Best Buy stores would be getting rid of most of their catalog titles because they just don't sell well and take up too much space. So, yes, it's coming. Their focus with Blu-ray will be primarily on new releases and the occasional blockbuster catalog title.

post #21 of 31 Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I was told a few months ago buy a Best Buy manager that after Christmas, all Best Buy stores would be getting rid of most of their catalog titles because they just don't sell well and take up too much space. So, yes, it's coming. Their focus with Blu-ray will be primarily on new releases and the occasional blockbuster catalog title.

I KNEW there was a reason I love Amazon! smile.gif

Seriously, there's a reason why BB and Wal-mart are selling catalog BR discs for 5 dollars and $7.88, etc. They're going bye-bye.
post #22 of 31 Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

I KNEW there was a reason I love Amazon! smile.gif
Seriously, there's a reason why BB and Wal-mart are selling catalog BR discs for 5 dollars and $7.88, etc. They're going bye-bye.

Great anti-logic there. It's like celebrating having less fingers.
post #23 of 31 Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Best Buy overthrew Circuit City to became the new King. Now their reign is ending. It's a tragic situation for consumers as choices continue to dwindle.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #24 of 31 Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Best Buy overthrew Circuit City to became the new King. Now their reign is ending. It's a tragic situation for consumers as choices continue to dwindle.

Are you saying you think BB will be going bankrupt?
post #25 of 31 Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
bankrupt? No....the end of the world... biggrin.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #26 of 31 Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

Are you saying you think BB will be going bankrupt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

bankrupt? No....the end of the world... biggrin.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408252/7-reasons-why-best-buy-wont-be-around-in-7-years

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #27 of 31 Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That's just links to links to links of bitching BB is not perfect of which all retailers are guilty of including amazon.
post #28 of 31 Old 11-18-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Then according to you, I guess they're all just blowing smoke.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #29 of 31 Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

That's just links to links to links of bitching BB is not perfect of which all retailers are guilty of including amazon.

True. but amazon has been coming pretty damn close, both in price and exceptional customer service above and beyond.

That could always change if investors pressure them to increase their razor thin margins and earnings....
post #30 of 31 Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

True. but amazon has been coming pretty damn close, both in price and exceptional customer service above and beyond.
That could always change if investors pressure them to increase their razor thin margins and earnings....

Amazon.ca is light years away and amazon.com will only be near close to perfect when it accepts cash or instant delivery and amazon staff is just as 'dumb' as the BB staff.
BB.ca price matches Amazon.ca including free shipping so that throws out the price 'perfection' and I would be surprised if the USA BB does not have the same policy. Poor stock selection (BDs just one example) is what will hurt BB just as it hurts 'The Source/Circuit City'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Then according to you, I guess they're all just blowing smoke.

Ian

Yes, the ones in the '7 years' link is all just blowing smoke.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page