Confused as to why you would purchase a Disk. Please fill me in....... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I used to stream very occasionally, but I gave it up about a year ago to fully support physical media. For me, it's all about object lust, really. I love the tangibility of physical media, and ever since I was young I always treasured the VHS, DVD and Blu-ray Discs I own and previously owned, to the point that I can remember physically holding them in my hands and admiring their weight, their very existence.

Years and years ago as a child, I used to have a small collection of VHS tapes, of which I was very proud. This was back when VHS was still pretty expensive to buy, and I was only allowed to buy certain ones because of cost or content, but I used to love admiring the box covers with their photographs and even the back copy text, which would always be so determined to grab your interest. I would hold the tape itself and look at the label on it, and I used to cautiously start to pry open the top to expose the actual tape inside, before thinking better of it. I remember being excited to have found what I thought was a "super-small" edition of Return of the Jedi at a yard sale, which someone had put in a generic cover. I bought it and took it home and tried to play it in the VCR...and it was a Betamax tape!

When I moved on to DVD in 2000, I remember buying my workhorse Sony DVD player (which after many years of constant use, was still working when I last tried it back in 2009), and my first titles, and being so impressed to have so many films in widescreen with "proper" black bars, and now, regularly, extra features. I would again admire the DVD artwork and sometimes the cases, if they were not standard, and I eventually amassed hundreds of DVDs, all of which I loved, and several of which I still have.

It's the same all over again with Blu-ray, except now I like to import even more, with my multiregion equipment. I like a lot of foreign and smaller films, and many times, the best releases can be the country-of-origin ones. I think it's marvelous to be able to collect video releases from different countries, and I now have a Blu-ray and DVD collection that spans five continents and dozens of countries. Of course, space is a concern, but that is a small annoyance in return for having such an incredible collection of tangible cinema-as-discs. And I love them all.

You don't get any of this from a stream. If I woke up tomorrow and streaming was no more, I would be happy.

I would also be happy if Hollywood woke up and saved 35mm film from the brink of extinction, but that's another matter entirely. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1970 View Post

I thank you all for contributing to my thread. I also understand your point of view regarding this topic. To answer all of your questions or rather statements about me: I too have a dedicated room with bass traps and sound deadening. I too have such Oppo'sand game consoles but no projector and anamorphic lens.

I have purchased and owned every format since BETA, VHS or DVD/BD titles. In fact I sold them all of in 2008. Even the Beta-max and films.

I understand your need to want a collection on demand.

But where are the folks similar to me who care about quality but do not want to possess the physical version of films?

I know that I cannot be alone.

Mind you, we all know steaming and Downloads are not the best A or V quality but I still cannot justify even $5 usd for a DVD or 19 usd for a BD.

Plus I do not want to store or showcase any of it.

Gosh, no one has really satisfied my thirst to want to purchase anything on film.

Pleas educate or sell me on this concept. Mind you I once was addicted to purchasing cassette tapes and Cd's. Must of had almost One Thousand. All gone now.

There are a lot of contradictions here. On the one hand you have "owned every format" and on the other you do not want to possess the physical version of filmsl ". I don't stay awake nights wondering why my poker buddies don't share the same passion I have for this hobby. they have their own interests. I never saw myself ever owning movies until early in my marriage we began to pick up VHS Disney titles for our kids. This led to other films which led to me wanting to improve my system. I frankly don't think you ever really had a passion for this or you wouldn't be so stumped by those who do now.

Stace
seggers likes this.
post #33 of 42 Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 12
Some people are into cars, or computers, or clothes or cats....
I've been into home theater since one of the very first outboard processors was available and like many started out with a HiFi Stereo VCR, which I routed through a rack system and where I hung the shelf speakers on the corner of the cieling, for a pseudo-SS effect.

Ever since, I've evolved with the formats and the eqmt used to to process them - VHS, LD, DVD and now BR.
IMO, it's more than about running out and picking up the latest, greatest release (which I stopped doing years ago and have since bought used, or, as they become less popular therefore less pricey).
For me, it's about a hobby, an enthusiasm, and/or as a way to keep up with current technologies.
It's about building a library or learning. Not all films are just about hobbits or laser sabres - many are educational or historical.
It's about seeing differing styles of direction, production, editing, sound, visual effects, lighting or how someone interprets a book, a story or a play.
The physical media ownership, as many have stated, is nice as sometimes we get to 'see it again for the first time' or we get an itch or inspiration to watch a film out of the blue.
Also, some of the best movies I've ever seen are not always well known or produced on mega-million dollar budgets with over-paid movie stars - so discovering that hidden gem and sharing it with others is another facet.
Above all else, it's about the availability and choice of entertainment.

Besides, it beats paying the same price for a noisy theater and stepping on sticky floors! biggrin.gif
post #34 of 42 Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM

Liked: 10
Different strokes for different folks. The more people who would understand that, the less problems we would have in this world.

You're confused why I would purchase a disc. I'm confused why you would post a thread like this, and not understand/accept the reasons. You don't see me asking you why.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #35 of 42 Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Please educate or sell me on this concept.
Since you already lived, for decades, owning physical copies of movies (and music), you already know what it is like to do so. No one could "educate you"; you already know, and you no longer like it (unless even decades ago, you bought things but wished for some other system). Since you gave them all up and get content some other way(s) now, are you really looking for something different?
Quote:
Gosh, no one has really satisfied my thirst to want to purchase anything on film.
That statement confuses ME. Do you have a "thirst" to "satisfy", or did you mean "no one has caused me to have a thirst" to buy and own any discs in 2013?

Also, there are many levels or methods of disc-buying other than to "rush into Best Buy every Tuesday". I seldom buy discs the day they are released unless they are inexpensive, and for the few "new" movies that I buy (as opposed to "catalog titles"), I always wait weeks or months until they are low-priced too.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #36 of 42 Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM

My primary consideration when buying concerns cultural preservation:

There's too much media being produced for even the most devout of individuals to watch and even if people did have the time to do it, not everybody's around to see it. Counting on companies to keep their distribution licenses up to date for 150+ years for every work ever produced is unrealistic. They'll drop a title from their catalog as soon as it's no longer profitable to keep.

I personally want physical media to stay in production, so that everything commited to disc remains subject to Title 17 Section 109 First Sale Doctrine. This would allowing owners to legally transfer titles they're no longer interested in using via the authorized physical media. This way it's less likely anybody, especially not myself, will miss out on something cool lost to the ages. The discs can remain in circulation throughout the ages.

Granted, it's true that publishers will often relicense their titles from time to time but in order to do that, there needs to be a known market for the title. If people are unable to watch the media, there'll be few indicators that people may still be interested in purchasing it.

Even though I don't plan on selling my own accquisitions, paying the premium now basically means more discs will be pressed, allowing me to possibly enjoy something I overlooked once before. Look to the original theatrical editions of Star Wars on Laser Disc for an example of something unlikely to come out as a download anytime soon.

The only alternative I see for such a guarantee is piracy, which is illegal and unethically exploitive. (Part of the ethical difference with first sale doctrine, is that disk prices can be adjusted prior to distribution, to account for the license changing hands and the disc itself may serve as a verifiable proof of purchase. See also: Bobs Merril Co. vs Strauss.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland 
BTW, it is Disc not Disk

Actually, although "Disc" is more commonplace, "Disk" is actually an acceptable alternative spelling that has exactly the same meaning in the given context.
post #37 of 42 Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

Why do people still bother to purchase films? Perhaps the bonus content and unrated features? I have nothing against films whatsoever, nor to I pirate videos online. My point or question rather to those of you who still rush into Best Buy every Tuesday is why? My guess it is like owning CD's back in the day and trying to get a wall-filled collection of 10k or so. Maybe it is the excitement of opening the cellophane and smelling the new plastics.

Can someone help me out here?

Please inform me why you still by media.

I know that when I mail them back to N.F. I will not want to see them again until many years later when it is available on instant streaming.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to hearing everyone's own opinions as to why they buy or collect....

Because some of us want to watch some of our favorite films more than once over a long period of time. How else is that going to happen? ITunes?? That's not a cheaper alternative.

And what's wrong with buying CDs? Again, ITunes is still not a cheaper alternative.
post #38 of 42 Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

There is no guarantee that the title you send back will ever be streamed. Discs are still the most foolproof way to play media and the case the disc comes in takes up very little room compared to a book. Then there's internet failure, Hard drive failure.....
And why rush into Best Buy when Amazon will send it to you.

Exactly.... except for the last part. I like walking to BB and getting my movies the same day instead of waiting for Amazon's slow super saver shipping.
post #39 of 42 Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
As has been written here a few times, I prefer owning a physical disc for several reasons:
1) access -- little to no concern that a failed business deal or model will revoke my ability to see the movie I want to
2) enjoyment -- I enjoy watching (some) movies multiple times; I also enjoy collecting (some) things . . . though to be honest the older I get, the less this is true, I have enough "stuff" as it is
3) quality -- regardless of DVD or BD, I will almost always prefer to own a physical disc due to internet speed issues, consistency and availability (i.e., I can take a physical disc to a friend's house where I don't always know if or how good their internet connection is)

I will say this: having joined Netflix has *dramatically* reduced the number of discs that we purchase (best $11/month I've ever spent). We've gone for 6-8 purchases a month to more like 2-3/month. That, plus the addition of Amazon Instant streaming (specifically, Prime) has cut back on what we buy. We've gone without cable/satellite for 10+ years, though this year we finally broke down and got satellite, which I suspect will further cut back on BD purchases.
post #40 of 42 Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post

Some people are into cars, or computers, or clothes or cats....

Very true. Why do any of us possess *any* physical object? I mean, why buy a house when you can rent? Why own a car when there's public transit? Or to extend the metaphor further, why cook when there are so many restaurants? Why build your own dresser when you can buy one? The simple fact is that different people enjoy different activities. For some of us, those activities include collecting physical objects and/or enjoying entertainment media in a high quality way. This, of course, costs money, but presumably, we all participate to the level that we are financially able to do so.

If the OP's intent was to hear peoples' thoughts/opinions on the matter, then he (hopefully) has done so by now . . . though I do find the question a bit curious since it's so easily answered and compared to other facets of life. As such it could leave one with the idea that the OP has a distinct opinion on the matter and was simply positing the question to debate it . . . which is ok too, I suppose, if that's something you enjoy. Maybe the OP is a "master de-bater". smile.gif
post #41 of 42 Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

Exactly.... except for the last part. I like walking to BB and getting my movies the same day instead of waiting for Amazon's slow super saver shipping.

If you order very many items then you may find Amazon Prime to be beneficial. With Prime pre-orders will arrive on release day.

For the last couple of years we have been using Amazon for small appliances, automotive parts (some at very substantial savings), food items, gifts, etc., etc. Used them for many years for CD, DVD and Blu-ray with super saver shipping. Now I get Blu-ray titles in 2 days, sometimes in 1 day.

Prime also includes streaming and some Kindle Books. There are streaming and Kindle Books apps for iPads.
post #42 of 42 Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I never bought VHS or Laser Disc media, but I did start buying DVDs because of price, convenience, and media stability. I ONLY buy movies I expect to watch multiple times, or I use Netflix. I've used the same methodology with the Blu Rays I've purchased. I'll occasionally use streaming if there's a great deal offered or for some Netflix only content, but the quality has typically been a disappointment. My daughter bought the Avengers on Amazon streaming with a gift card. On two occaisions, she wasn't able to play the movie at highest quality-despite a direct Ethernet connection for the PS3.

I own about 100 discs, and most have been good purchases. I do own about 20 movies I rarely watch, but those were all bought for $5 or less, so I don't feel too bad about that. I'll probably sell or trade them for a couple of bucks each down the road. We watch several movies once a year or more, and those have been spectacular purchases for my family.

Even when/if streaming improves, there will still be movies I want to own to have greatest control and guaranteed quality.
Reply HDTV Software Media Discussion

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page